Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Ratings: 2,887 |  Reviews: 1,368

I like coffee! So when I come across a beer with a name like Mocha Porter… well, needless to say I get excited! I have had several beers from Rogue before. As a matter of fact, I have had lunch in one of their breweries. It was one located in San Francisco, and I tried several of their beers while enjoying a nice salad. (Don’t ask me how I remember what I ordered. I just do!)

Porters are one of my favorite beers. Especially an after dinner beer. So taking a beer, a porter that is, and calling it a mocha porter… well, you had me at Rogue! The beer itself is VERY black, and without the head I would think it was coffee sitting in the glass. The smell is also quite intense, with a strong coffee note.

Cold the beer is delicious. But as this brew warms up, it gets better. Have you ever noticed that when you order a nice, good beer they serve it in a room temperature glass? Or perhaps you have seen bartenders warm the side of a glass before pouring the beer. There is a method to that madness… beer like this tastes better the closer it gets to room temperature.

My favorite part of this beer is the after taste. It’s almost the same flavors you get after eating a dark piece of chocolate. The aftertaste sticks around too, for quite some time. This beer is best served slightly chilled, with a room full of friends, after a nice meal. Of course I am drinking it straight out of the fridge sitting myself writing this review!

The beer is great, but not something you can drink a lot of. The ABV is low, but you’re not drinking this beer to get drunk. I am a HUGE fan of this beer… it combines coffee and chocolate… it’s a win win for me! Bottoms up people!

A- Poured a dark black with a medium off white tan head. Head drizzeled down to a small ring and hung around for a while

S- Nothing too overpowering. Coffee and roasted nuts with a hint of chocolate and malts

T- Taste was malty and rich. Slightly bitter. You taste the coffee and chocolate. Mildly dry finish

M- Very nice medium body in the mouth. Crisp

D- Good drinkability. Not too sweet as some porters of this type are. Could be a session beer for me personally

This is a very nice, classic American porter. Lots of great chocolate and roasted malt in the nose, with hints of coffee. With each sip a delicious roasted malt and chocolate flavor rolls through the mouth and ends with a pleasant crisp bitterness that lingers on the tongue. Can't say it's the best porter I've ever had, but there's certainly little to complain about. Very solid beer, very flavorful, and very drinkable at 5.0% abv.

Dark brown pour, with a 1 inch beige head. Smell is toasted malts, some dark cocoa. Taste is sweet, with bitter dark chocolate and some hop bite. Finish is long with multiple flavors of resiny molasses and mild hoppy bitterness. Mouthfeel is thin to medium, but nothing terrible. No creaminess. Easy to quaff, great price. Another Rogue winner.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an Imperial pint glass. Appears a dark brown with two fingers of creamy tan foam. Smell is of coffee, sweet dark fruits. Tastes of sweet roasted malts and coffee, cocoa powder, and a slight touch of caramel. Medium to full bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth on the tongue. Very drinkable, think I might have another...

Photo of

You had this beer. Write a review.

Served in a Stone IPA tulip.

A: Poured pretty much pitch black, with a sticky mocha head that stuck around for a bit.

S: Definitely got the signature Rogue profile along with a good bit of roast and ultra fresh malt. Very good.

T: Nice char and teeth-staining bitterness. A lot of care went into the design of this. Some Nestle's Quick in there as well.

M: Nice coffee (mocha) bitterness and great carbonation bill for this style. The lacing was substantial.

O: I dug this one a lot more than others, obviously. Cheers!

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales