Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Ratings: 2,901 |  Reviews: 1,369
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

poured into a pint glass this beer has the appearance of of a tall glass of coffee with some hints of red. The head dissapates rather quickly but was a finger tall. The head was tan and enticing. The smell is that of any coffee porter chocolate, coffee, and sweet. Mouthfeel is thick, not quite whole milk thick but 2% definately. Lacing is minimal. Taste sweet cocoa up front hint of coffee but a bitter finish that sticks for a few seconds. Not my favorite coffee porter but wouldn't dare turn it down.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a deep brown-black with some reddish tint at the base and the top; a nice porter color. The head dissolved rather quickly, though, and there was not much of a lace to note. To capture the fullness of the aroma, I poured it into a Belgian snifter-type glass, but was rather disappointed that there was not much aroma present. Hints of malted coffee rose to the top after a stir, but otherwise I didn't notice much. Could this have been my fault? Entirely possible, as I hope to give the aroma another shot in the future. Tasted nice. Strong coffee notes with chocolate and some wood. That bitter coffee finish was great, in my opinion. Sturdy mouthfeel and nice drinkability for a "mocha" porter. I will drink this again, even though it's not my favorite porter out there. A solid effor all around by Rogue.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

Quite an enjoyable beer but in my opinion not as good as Rogues other beers. I wish that the mocha flavor was more prominent like Kona Brewerys Pipeline Porter. The subtle tones of mocha make this an appealing porter. I'd recommend this to any porter lover.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

bottle into Duvel glass

appearance: black/really dark brown with 1 finger slightly off white head

smell: espresso, toffee, vanilla, roasted malts, dark chocolate

taste: very dark chocolate and mocha coffee oriented, with some minor hop bitterness and a thick roasted malt backbone, very well balanced.

mouthfeel: not super carbonated, medium to thin bodied

overall: A great breakfast beer, has a great balance of coffee and dark chocolate, with some tasty english roasted malts and a subtle earthy hoppiness.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Corner store - San Francisco, CA - 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Small brown head on a jet black body
Aroma: fermented coffee aroma
Flavor: amazing forward bitterness. full dark coffee and charred malt flavor.
Mouth: Full bodied beer with a bitterness that rakes over the tongue.
Drinkability: The itensity of the bitterness gets in the way of the consuming this beauty as I otherwise would have liked to.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tumbler.

A- Very deep brown, some dark red hues shine through against some light. Brown head is pretty creamy but isn't thick. Good lacing, however.

S- The mocha comes out, more on the chocolate side. Pretty sweet. Light on the coffee, but a gentle roast hits the nose.

T- Roast comes out more in the flavor, with the coffee and cocoa in the background. There a slight flavor of vanilla as well.

M- Rather light in body, but a slight creaminess. Very smooth and easy to drink. There's a bit of a roasty, dry finish as well.

O- One of the better Rogue's I've had. It has a nice flavor and drinks well.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Finally i have gotten around to trying this brew from Rogue. Usually i opt for a cheaper beer because at almost $7 for 1.6 pt, this isn't cheap. It pours a little thinner than most porters with a nice mahogany color. Nice head retention and the carbonation looks right for the style. Mmmm, that's nice. The first wave is the coffee and mocha rush followed by a smooth almost toasted caramel/oats finish. I would almost swear this was made with oats and coffee. The mouthfeel is right on as well. Overall, totally worth the wait, and the money. I really think this is one of the best self-proclaimed coffee porters i've had in ages. Good on ya Rogue, you never let me down :)

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a deep dense brown that allows some light around the edges of glass with a finger of cocoa-colored head. Aroma is filled with sweet chocolate, tootsie rolls and a little bit of coffee. Flavor has more tootsie rolls, smoke and roasted malts with a slight bitterness that carries on. This is a light bodied beer, which doesn't help the flavors too much and makes them come across as watery. I really like the aroma but it needs a little more body to be a very good porter.

3.84/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: Dark and portery!
Smell: Light chocolate. Malt and coffee.
Taste: Coffee, Malt, Chocolate and hop hints.
Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but smooth.

This is good porter. It is well-balanced, with chocolate undertones throughout; nothing really jumps out at you. It's a good example of the American porter. I'll probably get it again.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance – Solid black with a decent dark head.

Smell – Roasted malt and dark chocolate form the backbone of this aroma. There’s also some good sweetness here; a combination of dark, ripe fruits and table sugar.

Taste – I was quite surprised with the stiff hop balance, although I shouldn’t have been because it’s a Rogue. The bitter hops though are a compliment to the main show – dark malt and chocolate. The sweetness fades a bit but is still noticeable.

Mouthfeel – Somewhat light in the mouth, more like the Anchor Porter than the Stone, but solid nevertheless. This porter is both creamy smooth and refreshingly dry.

Drinkability – There may be some die-hards complaining about the big hops, but I thought it was a very interesting rendition of the style.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

I bought this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet. No friggin' date on the bottle or the label.

Pours a deep, dark garnet with brown edges. A one finger head of light brown foam forms on top, falls to small islands and a ring, with minimal lacing. Carbonation appears medium.

Aroma is strong chocolate, dark malts, fruits like plums, cherries, and dried pears, some herbal hops, slight coffee at the end.

Flavor is chocolatey, fruits like above, decent hop bittering, and faint herbal hops. It's fairly dry and cleansing. Coffee comes through late. Aftertaste is dark malts and dark, dry fruits.

Mouthfeel is low to medium bodied, with medium carbonation. The finish dries out at the end.

This is a good, if slightly underwhelming, porter. The flavors and aromas are good; it's chocolatey, roasty a little, fruity a little, with a clean, dry finish. I would drink another of these if offered.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

This beer to me looked great but the taste could not compete. The beer poured a beautiful ruby black with a big pillowy tan head. The head had some real staying power.

The aroma was all coffee, chocolate, and hops and was immediately apparent the minute you cracked open the bottle.

The taste had more coffee bitterness than hop bitterness to me and I'm not a big coffee drinker. The chocolate was a very bitter chocolate taste. Kind of beyond dark chocolate and more like baker's chocolate. The hops were not as apparent to me in the taste as they were in the nose.

Mouthfeel was a big dissapointment as it was very thin. No body at all.

Fairly drinkable. This was a good change of pace from my usual diet of pale ales but not something I would really crave.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

My friends picked up a bomber of this at Total Wine and cracked it when they had me over for dinner. Not my first experience with the beer but thought I'd take notes on it this time for a review.

Appearance- A good pour yields a solid two finger tan head over the top of a nice deep brown, bordering on black body. Head retains for quite awhile before dying down to a ring. A good deal of sticky lacing left as I drink.

Smell- A solid does of burnt coffee backed up by huge amounts of roasted malts. A very aggressive nose but that's okay because I like what I'm smelling. Lots of coffee, lots of the dark malt, here I come.

Taste- Sweet roasted malt melded very well with coffee that leaves the slightest burnt aftertaste. Surprisingly sweet as well given the roastiness and burnt qualities of this brew, but in a pleasant way. Flavors are not as aggressive as the nose but prominent enough and blended well enough to make this a solid porter.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The one real criticism I have of this beer is that I find the mouthfeel to be a bit on the thin side. Most of my porters get compared in my head to the Eddy Fitzgerald (as I'm originally from Ohio), which has a much chewier body. Not so thin as to kill this one for me, but I'd appreciate it a little on the heavier side. As such, the drinkability also suffers slightly for me given the thinness.

Overall, pretty solid porter and one of the better offerings from Rogue in my opinion. Given the price, I'd be sticking with the Eddy Fitz if I were in Ohio still, but certainly worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a nearly black dark brown, topped by a half-inch of creamy tan head that hangs around for a while. Aroma of dark roasted malt and a distinct mocha quality, true to the name. Palate is rich - dark roasted malt, chocolate, mocha, and dark prunes. Body is rich and creamy, just great for a dark and robust porter. Thoroughly enjoyable, and I don't even drink coffee.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Presentation: On tap @ the Isaquah Brewhouse (Rogue), Isaquah WA...into a cone pint...

Appearance: Very dark brown with a clinging tan lace that seems to stay for a while.

Smell: Mildly sweet in the nose with hints of charcoal, roasted malts and a touch of hops.

Taste: Silky smooth with a nice medium bodied mouth feel. After the luscious mouth feel come the flavour which is quite malty ... light acidic twang from the roasted malts, a little dark roasted coffee/chocolate flavour and an underlying toasted biscuit taste are balanced with a perfect combo of hop and roasted malt bitterness. The lingering after taste is of faded burnt sugar, drying grain and a slightly warming alcohol. A wonderful yet delicate hop character helps to round this brew also.

Notes: Yum! There are good porters and then there are great porters ... this one goes down as a great one, no doubt!

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a dark, dark amber. Basically black at the center, with ruby highlights at the edges. Clumpy light brown head forms very quickly, and leaves a sheen of foam across the surface.

Smells of chocolate, coffee, vanilla and roast.

Tastes of smooth dark chocolate, hints of vanilla. Earthy roasted finish, with a nice edge of cedar hops to offset the sweetness up front.

Body is big, thick, and rough, with carbonation helping to thin it out a fair amount.

Rich, big, roasty, and slightly harsh, I think one bottle will do it for me. Tasty brew though.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Deep dark brown in color with minimal amber hues. Thick tan head pors two fingers thick. Decent retention. Thin and spotty lacing clings to the glass.

S: Roasted coffee. Chocolate. Raw leaf. Soft pine scent. Toasted malts.

T: Roasted coffee bean and dark chocolate meld into a raw wet hop bitterenss that has a floral and pine taste. Burnt caramel malts give off an astringent tickle on the tongue. Muted tastes of wet earth and more coffee on the back end.

M: Creamy and smooth. Miniaml carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: This was one of my first true loves. It's always nice to return to something familiar. As time has passed I have had many better porters, but I will always come back to this one. Recommended.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Shaker pint glass. No date on the bottle although there was a stamp on the very bottom of the bottle - not clear what it meant though.

Appearance: Slow pour yielded a black beer on the table with a persistent dense 1/8" tan head. Noted that sediment stayed behind in the bottle. Held up to the light the beer has some ruby red highlights mixed in with dark brown. Sheets and strands of persistent lacing noted the whole way down the glass. Good looking porter.

Smell: Burnt sugar, mild chocolate notes, quick hint of coffee in there.

Taste: A bit of piney hop flavor right at the beginning, and then a solid black coffee bitterness. The coffee flavor is that of an extra dark roast - reminds me of a french roast in a way. Malt is barely noticeable amongst the strong coffee and bitter flavors, but is in there enough so I don't feel like I'm getting a one-sided flavor here.

Mouthfeel: Quick carbonation on the tongue and then it's gone. Coffee-like thickness to it. Not creamy, not really thick and I can't think how else to describe it. Reminds me of the mouthfeel of cold coffee.

Overall / Drinkability: I was expecting a bit more of a richer coffee and chocolate combination here which was missing. I like black coffee though so I enjoyed this, but not as much as I was hoping due to the name. Still, a good porter, just not a great one. Maybe with the right meal I could have more, but for now, 1 12oz bottle is enough.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

I got home, poured the sucker into my pint glass (no tilt) and watched a formidable, thick head form. The top bits of the head seemed to fall off quickly, but the areas around the reservoir of beer remained thick and had that nitrogen infused quality with the dark striations cascading through the head all to return to the beer.

I brought the glass to my nose and immediately got some caramel, coffee, hint of chocolate and maltish tones that were reminiscent of a strange sherry.

The coloring is very opaque. I can only make out color by tipping the glass and observing a thin pool of the beer. The color is a wonderful, rich "burnt root beer" bark. A bit too red to say it equals a rich coffee brown. There were minute chalky particles floating around in my glass.

The first taste is rather inviting as you are greeted by a lively effervescence. Not seltzer carbonation here... dense, quickly expiring yet boisterous bubbles. The taste is rich and sweet. The aftertaste is tactfully bitter. The bitter moment is enjoyable and doesn't overstay its welcome.

I really did like this porter, but feel that it is definitely a "treat" type. Not because of price or ease of locating it, but because its a bit sweet and made me feel like I just pigged out an a quarter pound of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Dark brown, with hints of amber after hitting light. Foamy beige top with minmal lacing.
Coffee and chocolate aroma, roasted chestnuts followed.
Great blend of chocolate and coffee malts veering over to a nice hop bitterness in the middle, which smoothed for a clean silky finish.
I expected a little more coffee but I wasn't disappointed in the least. A complete porter with an extra creamy finish and over all good taste. I would love to have this again.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales