Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Ratings: 2,898 |  Reviews: 1,369

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pretty mediocre porter. Not impressed

2.76/5  rDev -28.5%

12 oz bottle poured into a regular glass.

A: Pours a very dark red color. The head is a very nice two finger mocha (ha!) shade with great texturing and excellent retention.

S: There's a coffee - albeit slightly stale - and hazelnut quality to the aroma in general, and even a little bit of licorice. The aroma could be stronger, and as a point of nitpicking, slightly less vegetal as well.

T:The flavor is more coffee forward in general, from the starting flavors all the way to the finish. Problem is, just like the aroma, it seems awfully stale and vegetal. The said quality kills the finish with excessive bitterness. The hoppiness and roast don't really get along, either. Can't say I enjoy this one too much.

M: Airy and bone dry; normally, this is a quality I enjoy in my dark beers, but not when it's so dry it comes off as watery. A thicker texture (not to mention a bit more residual sweetness) would really help this out, but it helps make an otherwise mediocre beer more drinkable.

O: This is way too thin, bitter, and vegetal for me to enjoy this in any significant capacity. Needless to say, I won't be repeating this one in the future.

2.78/5  rDev -28%

A: Poured a dark black color with lots of frothy white/tan head. Lots of lacing down the glass.
S: Smell is of chocolate and coffee with some hop spiciness at the end
T: Taste is the same as the smell, coffe and chocolate that was very bitter almost too bitter for me at the end. Actually pretty hard for me to drink all of this one. Didn't like the bitterness.
M: Mouthfeel is fairly watery and bitter
D: Not bad, but I'll go with many other Rogue brews before getting this one again.

2.78/5  rDev -28%

Appearance: This beer pours a deep dark brown that borders on black to the enter. There is only a slight light brown head that dissipates to a nice covering film.

Smell: This beer is a bit tight on the nose. It has a faint roasted aroma that hides behind some rich caramel and very slight chocolate notes.

Taste: This beer is forward with a roasted / burnt caramel flavor. It taste slightly of chard meat with, again, an extremely faint chocolate flavor to in the mid palette. The beer finishes with a slight bitter roast aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This beer is rather medium light to light in body with a medium to medium high carbonation. This overall makes for a beer that seems a bit light for a porter.

Drinkability: The thin nature of this beer makes it easy to drink. I could quaff back quite a few of these with a meal as it tends to feel not overly heavy.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: For a porter I expect something with a more bold mouth feel and flavors. I was disappointed in the nose of this beer as well as its accompanying flavors. The light body, again, does not make this feel light a porter but instead more of a dark brown ale. I think the fact that this beer is dubbed a "Mocha" porter makes it even more disappointing due to the lack of chocolate flavors and aromas. I think this beer would pair nicely with spicy foods, but would not choose it as a stand alone beer to drink. Even with the food pairing at nearly $10.00 a six pack I would spend my money on other porters in the future.

2.78/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice dark brown colors with a finger and a half of slightly brown head. Can't even see through the beer, good

S - Roasty and chocolaty, but nothing special. Smell is a bit weak

T - No mocha at all, a weak porter (almost on par with the level of taste of Guinness) and far too much hop bite.

M - Average, nothing to write home about.

D - Not enjoying it, I was really looking forward to the style and I love dead guy and a lot of other Rogue stuff, but I was just flat unimpressed with this.

2.8/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bitter, with a rough feel

2.82/5  rDev -26.9%

From the bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: black with a thin brown head

Smell: milk chocolate, coffee, cream

Taste/Mouthfeel: hop bite, spicy hops, very slight chocolate

I would have expected more chocolate out of something called "Mocha" Porter.

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

I think they should have called this Espresso Porter. If this had caffeine, I would have a reason to drink it.

The smell was to me the standard, Rogue hoppiness that I've found in nearly all of their which beers I've tried. I personally don't like hoppiness in a porter, but I went with it.

The taste was too hoppy for my like as well, with only a hint of mocha and a blast of bitter coffee. My hopes of the aftertaste bringing this beer around were dashed as well.

The mouthfeel was okay, just seemed a little flat.

Drinkablilty for me would be tough since I didn't enjoy the flavor.

2.84/5  rDev -26.4%

Looks: pours a complete black with a fuzzy head about a finger in thickness that collapses quickly to a splotchy, filmy layer with a thick, sticky ring of accompanying foam. Some horizontal tracks of sticky lace grip the sides as the beer descends.

Smells: a little disappointing. More chocolatey than mocha-esque in aroma. Some ritz crackers and a tiny bit of espresso emerge after a search. There's not much to it at all.

Tastes: oddly, the flavors do a switcheroo from the nose -- now there's lots of coffee, but no chocolate. Maybe a tiny bit of bitter dark chocolate, but again, it's hardly noticeable.

Feels: unimpressive. Medium, fuzzy carbonation and a light, watery body. Meh.

Drinks: It goes down easily enough, but with a name like mocha porter, I'd expect both more mocha and more porter. Too light on flavor, body and aroma. Fail, Rogue.

2.84/5  rDev -26.4%

Reviewed 9/21/2008 (bottle):

Pours a black dark dark brown colored body, with a tannish colored head, smallish but lasting. Has a sweet malty aroma, with some sweet coffeeness Maybe some dark fruit too. But overall, not a strong aroma. Chocolate, coffee taste. Malty.

2.89/5  rDev -25.1%

A: [3.25] Dark black body. There is a 1/2 finger head of small to medium tan bubbles. The bottle does not list ABV or IBU. There is a date code on the bottom - but it means nothing to me.

S: [2.75] Wafts of mocha and some metallic scent.

T: [3.00] Bitter coffee - when it is cold. When it warms up - the taste mellows but there is a slight reduction in bitterness

M: [2.75] Lots of "buzz" on the tip of the tongue. The beer is creamy - but there is a tingle of carbonation.

O: [2.75] I wanted to like this. I like stouts and porters. I really like coffee flavored stouts and porters but I do not like this one. The nose has a metallic hint. The mouthfeel has too much carbonation. The flavor is a single note that isn't executed too well. I won't buy this again. I would drink this again - but there are lots of porters I would go for first.

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours nicely with a generous yellow tan head and black body, brown not red at the sides. Carbonation moderate, lacing plentiful.

First strong smell I get is chalky. Not sure why, but it's strong. Malty roast aroma, a hint of berry sweetness. Not overly complex, but pleasing.

Smooth in the mouth with a chaffy flavour and coffee aftertaste. A little sweet but nicely balanced. Not bad but doesn't stand out as a "mocha porter" - tastes like a decent homebrew stout. Mouthfeel is good though, not too heavy or slimy but not dry and quaffable either. I wouldn't have another of these though, because it's a bit boring - nice for a change but there isn't anything there that shocks you or really entices you to crack a second one. I'd follow this up with something zesty and tastebud-tickling, maybe a Hefeweizen or Wit.

Overall, decent, but could have been better.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales