Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Reviews: 1,354 | Ratings: 2,829
3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

Yet another winner from Rogue. I'm not the biggest porter fan in the world, but this one is nice. Pours as black as some stouts I've seen and smells of chocolate (not nearly as strong as the chocolate stout). It is very smooth and has a pretty nice overall mouthfeel. The taste is very good...chocolate, roasty, malty, coffee, and that Rogue bitterness that I have grown to love. As I said, I'm not usually a porter kind of guy, but this is a repurchase.

3.78/5  rDev -2.3%

Dark, a very opaque black. Very little dark milk chocolate head. Not a very strong smell but I can sense out some hops and coffee. Taste is typical of a stout, alot of hops. Alot of coffee taste. The aftertaste is where the "mocha" part of this brew kicks in. Really good. Mouthfeel is thin, silky, not alot of carbonation.

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours very dark brown, but not opaque, with less than one finger off tan head that dissipated to nothing, no lacing.
Aroma is mostly roasted malt, expresso, and chocolate. Nice but boring.
All flavors in the taste are subtle. Roasted malt is predominant with notes of coffee beans, chocolate, and a grassy hops.
Mouthfeel is thin with medium/high carbonation. Finish is pretty dry.
The subtle flavors and thin mouthfeel make this a very drinkable beer, a good session porter, but I'd prefer more flavor.

A – Pours out very dark brown, almost black. The head isn't anything special at about an inch.

S – Heavy coffee (as you would expect) with a hint of light vanilla on the edges.

T – On the first sip you'll get a strong, coffee flavor - like a well roasted coffee brew. On the back end you get some of the chocolate and vanilla notes, but you have to actually look for them.

M - Not overwhelming on the tongue, nice carbonation, and a fair amount of body

O – This is a tasty coffee porter that delivers without complications. It's drinkable, but yet has enough complexity to keep you interested. The ABV is understandable, and you'll easily be able to drink a few of these without getting overwhelmed.

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

L-Pours a dark brown color with a small frothy head that bubbles and hugs the side of the glass. Interesting appearance.
S-The smell is very mellow, yet with this mellow aroma I get quite a bit of notes of coffee. After the first initial draws I get a faint aroma of banana as well.
T-I taste bitterness from the roasted hops and it follows greatly with the slight flavor of coffee. The flavor really follows the nose. As the beer warms the flavor gets more complex.
F-Medium bodied. Frothy and full in the beginning. Hearty feel.
O-Everything about this porter is very good and I enjoyed drinking it! It is extremely complex and may be one of the most solid porters I've ever tried. Delicious coffee flavor mixed with unique bitterness makes this porter stand out. You will like it for sure.

2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

Appearance: This beer pours a deep dark brown that borders on black to the enter. There is only a slight light brown head that dissipates to a nice covering film.

Smell: This beer is a bit tight on the nose. It has a faint roasted aroma that hides behind some rich caramel and very slight chocolate notes.

Taste: This beer is forward with a roasted / burnt caramel flavor. It taste slightly of chard meat with, again, an extremely faint chocolate flavor to in the mid palette. The beer finishes with a slight bitter roast aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: This beer is rather medium light to light in body with a medium to medium high carbonation. This overall makes for a beer that seems a bit light for a porter.

Drinkability: The thin nature of this beer makes it easy to drink. I could quaff back quite a few of these with a meal as it tends to feel not overly heavy.

OVERALL IMPRESSION: For a porter I expect something with a more bold mouth feel and flavors. I was disappointed in the nose of this beer as well as its accompanying flavors. The light body, again, does not make this feel light a porter but instead more of a dark brown ale. I think the fact that this beer is dubbed a "Mocha" porter makes it even more disappointing due to the lack of chocolate flavors and aromas. I think this beer would pair nicely with spicy foods, but would not choose it as a stand alone beer to drink. Even with the food pairing at nearly $10.00 a six pack I would spend my money on other porters in the future.

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark, dark black, held it up to the light and there was not a hint of brown to be seen, just how I like it. Had a thick head to begin with but it faded after the first two sips and eft a bit of a lace on the glass.

The small was malty with a hint of coffee and chocolate, the taste was much the same, malty smooth with chocolate and coffee, however not too sweet.

Very drinkable. Took a sixer to my friend's superbowl party today and other's shyed away from this dark wonder, more for me! Now at the top of my porter's list.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%

A dense head lingered for a couple of minutes on this nearly opaque porter. I noticed a soft, but not overpowering roasty cocoa aroma as I sniffed. I detected no hop aroma.

Upon taking a sip, it became obvious why this is called mocha. The blend of cocoa, coffee carried though to the end with a pleasing aftertaste that made me want to have more. The slight maltiness was balanced well with the hop bitterness and roasted malts. The flavor really came through as the beer warms up.

Mouthfeel was pleasant and appropriate, improved as the beer warms, and carbonation dropped a bit. I really enjoyed this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance: Creamy beige head that quickly dissipates. The body is dark brown-black.

Smell: Centennial hops is the only first impression. Looking beyond them there are dark roasted malts and some coffeish notes. Mocha? Not really.

Taste: Hoppy, coffeish, and even a bit of chocolate, in that order. Slightly burnt flavor from dark roasted malts that is spurred on by the hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation.

I bought a six-pack of this to try. At first I was a little disappointed in the, perhaps excessive, use of Cascade-like Centennial hops. They are too prominent and aromatic for the style in my taste and they are too readily available in the nose to allow any mocha aroma to come through (if there is any in there). As I've worked through the sixer I've learned to appriciate it for what it is though. Great accompaniment to a dessert such as an almond cake.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

This is yet another Rogue beer that I enjoyed. The hops made the lighter mocha flavor more difficult to detect, but it still worked well. I'm glad the malt wasn't roasted any more, it seemed just right.

3.93/5  rDev +1.6%

This Rogue is a beauty on the pour with a midnight black coffee body and delicate head that dissipates quickly, soon looking like froth on the top of an ice cream soda. A roasted malt smell predominates. The porter is full bodied with some hoppy bitterness. The finish has a strong french roast coffee flavor. I'm somewhat disappointed in getting almost no chocolate flavor - mocha is a misnomer with the lack of chocolate. I'm not complaining - thoroughly enjoyed the taste. Mouth feel is good but wouldn't want another to follow.

3.74/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

L: Massive head, persistent lacing

S: Sweetness, a mild scotch

T: First sip was refreshingly bitter and restrained. Sweetness eventually makes its way through, but doesn't overstay its welcome. Lingering dark chocolate aftertaste.

F: Surprisingly light, not sticky

O: Balanced, subtle, not overpowering, overall a good porter

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%

Overall I thought that it would have had more coffee and chocolate flavors to this one, but definitely a beer I could drink more often. I've had better porters, but this one is up there.

Only the second rogue beer I have tried; the other being a dead guy ale. I am not very impressed but like I said could drink more than just one. It doesn't leave a very strong taste on the palette which is kind of disappointing.

4.62/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a 16 oz Pint glass

A-Deep dark color, a little purple when held up to a light, great brown/tan head. Not a lot of lacing.

S-Rich chocolate, coffee, maybe a hint of vanilla.

T-Roasted coffee, chocolate. Loved the almost iced coffee with cream flavors

M-Very smooth and creamy. Very easy beer to drink, wouldn't consider it session at all though.

D-I really enjoyed the Porter. I am a big fan of porters in general, and this one was really nice. I had sent my fiancee to the store to pick up a different beer, but this is the one she bought. I have been pleasantly surprised.

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

The pour gave a tall, smooth head that stuck around for a long while. The color is dark and almost totally opaque; when held up to light a very dark brown shows through.

The smell is burnt toast with a bit of spiciness. The feel is thick and coating with a bit of carbonation. Initial flavor is roasted coffee (not surprising) with a strong bitterness. The aftertaste is surprisingly strong, bready and charcoal.

The flavor is strong enough that there is no taste of alcohol at any time. In some ways the flavor is overpowering, but it's not out-of-place or unexpected.

4.27/5  rDev +10.3%

Ah, Rouge!

From the bottle, poured into a pint glass the dark brown/near black American Porter pours rich and tops off with a nice head of light brown. As it reclines around the edges it leaves a delicate lace. The head stays billowed in the pillowed in the middle and just begs of mocha goodness!

What a lovely marriage of hops and mocha. Your nose wont have to look too hard for dark chocolate, full bodied coffee and hops.

As formidable in the nose, it is in the mouth (that's what she said). Fantastic mocha porter with just the right wash of bitterness you might expect.

Not a bad way to end a work day!

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

Another fine Rogue brew. 1/2 finger of head that quickly dissipates. Spotty tan colored lacng down the sides of the tulip glass. Presents itself a very dark brown color with medium to slightly high carbonation. Nice malty beginning, then the hops biterness shows, ending with a creamy aftertaste.Felt good in the mouth, but a little too carbonated. I could finish off a sixer of these boys while reading a good book in front of the winter fire.

3.85/5  rDev -0.5%

I got home, poured the sucker into my pint glass (no tilt) and watched a formidable, thick head form. The top bits of the head seemed to fall off quickly, but the areas around the reservoir of beer remained thick and had that nitrogen infused quality with the dark striations cascading through the head all to return to the beer.

I brought the glass to my nose and immediately got some caramel, coffee, hint of chocolate and maltish tones that were reminiscent of a strange sherry.

The coloring is very opaque. I can only make out color by tipping the glass and observing a thin pool of the beer. The color is a wonderful, rich "burnt root beer" bark. A bit too red to say it equals a rich coffee brown. There were minute chalky particles floating around in my glass.

The first taste is rather inviting as you are greeted by a lively effervescence. Not seltzer carbonation here... dense, quickly expiring yet boisterous bubbles. The taste is rich and sweet. The aftertaste is tactfully bitter. The bitter moment is enjoyable and doesn't overstay its welcome.

I really did like this porter, but feel that it is definitely a "treat" type. Not because of price or ease of locating it, but because its a bit sweet and made me feel like I just pigged out an a quarter pound of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut.

4.22/5  rDev +9%

A-Dark ruby with a small head with some nice lacing.

S-Coffee, chocolate and roasted malts.

T-Sweeter than I thought it would be, tastes like roasted coffee, very nice.

M-Nice full bodied beer, taste kinda lingers on the tongue.

D-A great tasting porter, I will definately have another one of these.

4.16/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured a dark brown with a substatial tan head of foam.

Smell is sweet milk chocolate, Coffee, malt, vanilla. Very pleasant.

Taste, the chocolate is upfront but more subdued than on the smell. Well rounded across the entire pallet. Vanilla, oak, coffee.

Mouthfeelis substantial with a nice carbonation.

Overall a very nice porter. Balanced with subdued hops. Chocolate winds it's way through in just the right amount. Very tasty.

4.36/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a bottle into a New Belgium globe.
After a vigorous pour, it produced a really nice two finger head, but it didn't hang around for more than a few minutes. Very dark brown, near black. When I hold it up to light there is some slight dark amber coloring at the edges. There is no lacing to speak of.
Smell is definitely coffee forward, with some rich, roasty maltiness and maybe a hint of dark, bitter chocolate.
Taste is very coffee forward. Starts of with a strong coffee flavor, and quickly turns to a slightly bitter, roast maltiness. Mouth feel is fairly thin, but I think it really works well for this one.
Overall, an excellent porter, one of the best I've had. The coffee notes really work great. I will definitely be having this again. Thought it went great with Apple Pie!

4.33/5  rDev +11.9%

I had my first taste of this beer on a cold day in Nov. Nice thick head after pour. Although not very carbonated. Nice dark color with a nice hint of chocolate and coffee and malty goodness. Very Good beer.

Thankfully in the privacy of my on home I don't have to worry about this being switched with a Pit Bull.

4.3/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whole foods has massive amounts of beer...yeah! I bought this because of the curiosity factor of "mocha". I like the StarB's mocha fraps so I figured...why not.

A- Good solid porter look to it. Dark brown with tan head.

S- the smell isn't as aromatic as I thought it would be given it is a porter. It did have a nice roasted smell though.

T- Good taste. I can get the mocha out of it and the subtle bitterness was a plus. Not exceptional, but way above average.

M- A little carbonation mixed with creaminess. Could use more creaminess.

D- Good beer. 5.3% abv gets the most out of it.

Good beer..can't wait to try other Rogue stuff

4.08/5  rDev +5.4%

Dark brown. Smells of roasted coffee and malt. Sharp up front with tastes of bitter chocolate and coffee followed by tangy fig. Chocolate flavors in the aftertaste. It's sufficently carbonated and bubbly though I may prefer it just a but more bubbly.

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

What you have here its a nice porter but I was waiting for a more tastier brew.

Used my Sams pint glass, and it poured a very dark brown brew with a brownish medium crown. Full body, nice carbonation. Roasted dark coffe along with dark chocolate with some hints of darkend malts, no alcohol perceived. The chocolate lingers on from the first sip until the coffe its percieved closely towards the end. A coffe ruled aftertaste thats somewhat dry.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales