Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

3.86/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,893 |  Reviews: 1,368

2.78/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Nice dark brown colors with a finger and a half of slightly brown head. Can't even see through the beer, good

S - Roasty and chocolaty, but nothing special. Smell is a bit weak

T - No mocha at all, a weak porter (almost on par with the level of taste of Guinness) and far too much hop bite.

M - Average, nothing to write home about.

D - Not enjoying it, I was really looking forward to the style and I love dead guy and a lot of other Rogue stuff, but I was just flat unimpressed with this.

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle. Leaves a big two finger espresso foam colored head that has excellent retention, and it leaves excellent lacing. Body is black. Beautiful to behold.

Smell - the nose is filled with rich aromas of chocolate, coffee, roasted malt, and bitter pine resin. Mouthwatering.

Taste - exactly as promised by the smell. A big wash of bitter pine resin upfront, followed by rich flavors of chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. Very delicious.

Mouthfeel - full bodied, and slightly semi-dry.

Drinkability - this is excellent ale, and it is totally sessionable.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

A- Pours with a small head that sticks around for a while. The color is just this side of midnight, only showing a touch of brown on the top and impenetrable to light.

S- Smell is weaker than the taste (not really unexpected so I guess I mean it's weaker than I wish it was). Cocoa powder, raisins, and chocolate covered espresso beans form the primary scents

T- The cocoa and raisins are joined by a stronger coffee taste. Very faint hops which blends really well into the bitterness of the malt. Aftertaste is bitter, like I need some sugar in my coffee. But altogether a very comple taste.

M- Pretty smooth, but not at all heavy.

D- The strong aftertaste limits the drinkability of this beer a bit in my opinion, though the complexity of the flavor overcomes this for the most part.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

This is my first American craft beer if I don't count Samuel Adams and I'm very interested to taste an American interpretation of an English classic.

APPEARANCE: Typical porter brownish black. Head looks like that of an expresso, kind of yellowish.

SMELL: Soft porter smell, not strong. I can sense a sweetness. Sucking the last drip from the rim of the bottle I get a taste of mocha coffee and even rose water.

TASTE: A typical smokey, tart porter flavour with a pleasant softness that creates an interesting balance. The coffee is subtle, adding a levelling mellowness to the brew. Ever so slightly hoppy too. There's a subtle sherbet flavour which provides a tingling sensation on the gums.

OVERALL: Both disappointed and impressed. I thought the coffee would be way more upfront but it only imparted a soft mellowing sweetness to the balance, which actually made for a nice tasting porter anyway. One of the best I've had, albeit I've never had a bad one.

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

The pour creates a very dark black color, with a very nice fluffy, creamy, foamy dark tan head. Notes of chocolate, mocha coffee, and hops in the aroma. The same can be found in the taste mocha, notes of chocolate, with nice hop balance. Overall I enjoyed this one very much! An excellent Porter!

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

3.76/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours black with a head that dissipates but doesn't disappear. The smell is roast and coffee but not very strong. Taste of mild chocolate and coffee, dry fruit. Creamy with a mild bitterness. Thin feel, its smooth and easy to drink just to watery. Taste was similar to dropping a few ice cubes in a cup of coffee. A fine porter i just like mine more robust.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Beer #6 from the blind beer bif.

Pours a deep brown, maybe 85% opaque? It has a thick, dense, khaki tan head...two fingers thick...it takes its time receding...it rest at an 1/8", and leaves sheets of lacing.

I smell wet dog and powered sugar...the scents are faint...but pleasantly different.

It has a bitter-sweet flavor. Pecan, coco, star anise, this one is stumping me, I swear I taste mushroom gravy?

Medium bodied, and dry...it has a slight astringency to it...numbs my tongue.

Great beer but one at a time. Probably would be good with food.

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

My hundredth bottle of beer. Lets sing

Drinking while typing.

12 oz into Atlas mason jar.

A: Pours a dark dark brown with good clarity and a full hand of head that sticks about a while and laces all up and down my jar.

S: I smell those piny-citrusy beeswax honey hops that i often smell and need to look up so i know what they are. Maybe someone could drop a line and ej-a-ma-cate me.

T: Those hops again with a dark chocolate syrup flavor. Finishes with a nice bitter-dry coffee taste.

M: Light to medium bodied.

D: Good strong and bitter. A very flavorful beer. Drinkability is good.

If someone would like to tell me what kind(s) of hops I'm tasting here, I'd greatly appreciate it.

3.55/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle -> pint
no date

Pours back with a small quickly receding tan head, that leaves behind clumpy cliffs of lace. Some visible steady robust carbonation.

Nose: Milk cocoa, touches of dark fruit,

Smooth, sweet stout like velvety mouth feel. Burnt coffee grinds, chalky cocoa and some caramel malt. Finishes with a little astringency behind some mild bitterness. Drying.

A good desert beer that wants to be a stout.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.9/5  rDev +1%

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

My bottle might have been a little outdated, but nevertheless it still lived up to it's Rogue name. Poured out a nice black color with quite a bit of carbonation that lasted all the way through. Aroma of chocolate with some coffee undertones. Taste is a lot of bittersweet chocolate with undertones of coffee flavors and roasted flavors with malts. A little complex and quite balanced as well. Solid porter from Rogue.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%