Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Ratings: 2,912 |  Reviews: 1,369

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Served on tap into a shaker glass

A- Poured a dark brown color with soapy mocha colored head that left minimal lace

S- Some smokiness, roasted malt, sweet breadiness and caramel. Pretty nice aroma, not all that strong though

T- Some smokiness, roasted malt, bittersweet chocolate, breadiness, and caramel. Really balanced flavor profile, however there is a watery quality to this beer that mutes a lot of these flavors from being more bold

M- Lighter bodied, soft carbonation, and quite watery on the finish

O- Some really nice balances flavors, the hint of smokiness was quite nice. The mouthfeel and watery qualities of this beer bring it down for me though.

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I enjoy the bottle art of this beer.

The appearance is black. Black like tar. Even while back lit this beer is still dark. It has a nice head that lasts... I poured my bottle into a glass and left it on my desk for 20 or so minutes and it still has a nice frothy 1/4 inch of head.

I really need to read more, and smell more, when it comes to identifying aromas. The smell is not overwhelming in any particular direction... I want to say it smells of mocha, but I don't even know what that means! Mocha is in the name so I want to say that's the smell... It's, I guess, a balanced aroma of coffee without any strong smell of hops (the Kudzu Porter from Back Forty smells strongly of hops in comparison).

Someone more experienced than I can probably describe the complexity of the taste. The strongest is, of course, the mocha flavor... hints of chocolate... I find it absolutely delicious. They need to barrel age this stuff in Jack Daniel's barrels so I can contrast it with another local barrel aged porter that I love.

The mouthfeel is kind of creamy... thickish... but with a somewhat refreshing dryness to it...

Overall I love this porter very much. I expected I would from what I'd heard/read about it. I couldn't get it as a single from the liquor store so I had to get a whole six pack and I have no doubt that I will drink them all... maybe even tonight...!

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

I poured this from the bottle into a mug.

It looked great going in and had a good head, but it disappeared very quickly.

It smelled the part.

Upon first sip, I was a little disappointed. I picked up on a lot of carbonation and hardly any hint of mocha. I found it moderately bitter for a porter and not sweet at all, which is what I expected. However, I enjoyed it more as I drank it.

Could be a little creamier....I like a thick creamy beer.

Overall, it was a very good beer, and easy to finish, but if you really like porters but are looking for something a bit different, look elsewhere. This is just another good porter.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into Guinness Pub Pint glass.

A: Pours a thick, deep brown, near black. Under light it shows a hint of amber. Thin 1/2 finger head of mocha color which dissipates quickly.
S: Roasty with apparent coffee and chocolate character. Medium hops seem to add some earthiness.
T: Strong coffee-chocolate flavors, but also with a touch of oats-flavor. Med-hop bitterness balances the roasted malts and keeps it more complex.
M: Medium to full bodied with low-medium carbonation. It drinks fairly robust and a bit of a creamy tail.
O: A hearty porter with strong coffee and chocolate character. The Mocha in the name leads you expecting a bit more chocolate and sweetness, but still an enjoyable and robust beer. Plenty of roasted flavors were apparent, but the oat after-taste was a nice surprise and seemed to hint of unroasted malts, even if not actually present. I would drink this again, but not at the top of the list in this style.

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

A - Poured from a bottle into pint glass, yielding a jet black, milky-textured liquid with a generous head which dissipated to about a half-inch in thickness, and retained well throughout. Moderate lacing left behind.

S - Notable coffee grounds, bitter chocolate, and roasted malts along with a touch of alcohol. Smells delicious and inviting.

T - Chocolate nibs are immediately apparent, followed by roasted malts and bitter coffee notes. Also, a touch of dark fruit on the back, and the slightest hint of alcohol warming as it rolls down the back of your mouth and into your throat.

M - Velvety, with moderate thickness. Goes down smooth, with some creaminess as well. I was very impressed with the mouth feel on this one, especially since it was poured from a bottle. I would LOVE to try this out of a nitro-tap.

O - One of the finest porters I've ever had. I highly recommend this one. Like a previous reviewer said, "There are good porters, and great porters." This one is definitely ranked as a great. Can't say I'm surprised, as Rogue rarely disappoints.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Presentation: On tap @ the Isaquah Brewhouse (Rogue), Isaquah WA...into a cone pint...

Appearance: Very dark brown with a clinging tan lace that seems to stay for a while.

Smell: Mildly sweet in the nose with hints of charcoal, roasted malts and a touch of hops.

Taste: Silky smooth with a nice medium bodied mouth feel. After the luscious mouth feel come the flavour which is quite malty ... light acidic twang from the roasted malts, a little dark roasted coffee/chocolate flavour and an underlying toasted biscuit taste are balanced with a perfect combo of hop and roasted malt bitterness. The lingering after taste is of faded burnt sugar, drying grain and a slightly warming alcohol. A wonderful yet delicate hop character helps to round this brew also.

Notes: Yum! There are good porters and then there are great porters ... this one goes down as a great one, no doubt!

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%