Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

Liked:
3.86/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 2,894 |  Reviews: 1,369

A - Pours almost opaque with a dark red hue along the edges, two fingers of light mocha head with solid retention and some nice chunky lacing.

S - Some dark cocoa, bitter espresso, earthy leafy hops come through on the finish.

T - Quite tasty with dark cocoa coming through off the top, some nice espresso notes which don't come across bitter in the least, and some leafy hops on the finish. The dark cocoa really lingers on the palette and is scrumptious!

M - Medium bodied, a bit prickly going down, but finishes nicely with a touch of dryness.

O - A really tasty porter with some great chocolate notes. Easily sessionable and quality example of the style. I could take down a 6-er of this any day. Delicious!

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a dark, nearly opaque black with just a bit of brown visible around the edges. There is a light tan head of maybe two fingers with excellent retention and a decent amount of lacing.

S: Smells of dark roasted and caramelized malt. There is a faint dry herbal smell.

T: There is a sweet malt flavor backed with a noticeable bitter taste from the hops. There are notes of chocolate, coffee and toffee. The aftertaste is dry, dark chocolate.

M: Fairly dry and smooth, a little bit creamy.

O: Chocolate and coffee dominate this beer with a notable hop bitterness.

3.82/5  rDev -1%

Appearance - Poured pretty black and had a nice 1", finger head accompanied by some beautiful lacing. Pretty average.

Smell - Roasted malts hit my nose first and were followed by amazing, burnt nuttiness. There was also some caramel notes and definite coffee aromas wafting from this glass.

Taste - Oh boy. Coffee and cocoa. That pretty much it. That's not a bad thing, though. There's also a little sweetness on the tip and minimal dry hops throughout.

Mouthfeel - Body was not too dense, but perfect. A little creamy and not too carbonated made this brew a good one.

Overall - This stuff is pretty good if you're not very daring, but want to be. It's safe, but it's super good. I will be having this again.

I like coffee! So when I come across a beer with a name like Mocha Porter… well, needless to say I get excited! I have had several beers from Rogue before. As a matter of fact, I have had lunch in one of their breweries. It was one located in San Francisco, and I tried several of their beers while enjoying a nice salad. (Don’t ask me how I remember what I ordered. I just do!)

Porters are one of my favorite beers. Especially an after dinner beer. So taking a beer, a porter that is, and calling it a mocha porter… well, you had me at Rogue! The beer itself is VERY black, and without the head I would think it was coffee sitting in the glass. The smell is also quite intense, with a strong coffee note.

Cold the beer is delicious. But as this brew warms up, it gets better. Have you ever noticed that when you order a nice, good beer they serve it in a room temperature glass? Or perhaps you have seen bartenders warm the side of a glass before pouring the beer. There is a method to that madness… beer like this tastes better the closer it gets to room temperature.

My favorite part of this beer is the after taste. It’s almost the same flavors you get after eating a dark piece of chocolate. The aftertaste sticks around too, for quite some time. This beer is best served slightly chilled, with a room full of friends, after a nice meal. Of course I am drinking it straight out of the fridge sitting myself writing this review!

The beer is great, but not something you can drink a lot of. The ABV is low, but you’re not drinking this beer to get drunk. I am a HUGE fan of this beer… it combines coffee and chocolate… it’s a win win for me! Bottoms up people!

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

A: Very dark brown, almost black. Two finger tan head.

S: Appropriately named since it has a nice chocolately mocha smell. Malty as well.

T: Quite sour up front and an interesting aftertaste that is slightly smoky.

M: Somewhat runny, almost what I would call watery.

O: I'll admit my experience with porters is somewhat limited, but this beer was only so-so for me. It wasn't bad, but the watery feel and sour taste didn't thrill me. I would drink it again, but I wouldn't buy it again.

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

Haven't had this in a while but I remembered not being floored by it. Similar impression today. Beautiful, thick, tan head with very nice lacing all the way down. Similar to other observations, I noticed a distinct metallic/musty smell. Pretty thin mouthfeel. The rich, malty, toasted barley flavor was the high point but it didn't last long and was eventually overtaken by the bitter coffee/mocha flavor. The coffee/mocha flavor made for an interesting taste during the first few sips but eventually it was all I noticed and boy did it linger: I still taste it now. I didn't note what I consider hops balancing out the beer but I am fairly new to analyzing complex tastes and don't quite notice all the subtleties yet. It might be well paired with a red meat as it is not too filling and bitter but I don't think I would have a craving for this like some other porters. It is an interesting beer at first, and I would drink it over some others, but it's not my first choice.

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

Color is a dark brown to almost black with a tan head about an inch thick. Pretty nice looking. I picked up some fig-like scents in the smell, combined with some roasted malts. A coffee and slight cocoa flavor is up front in the taste, with some bitterness following. It's a pine/spruce bitterness, which I didn't much care for. Based on some other reviews, I was expecting a stronger chocolate taste, but the hops seemed to dominate the profile. Overall, it's pretty good, but there are other porters I liked more than this one.

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance:
Dark brown, and a little lighter around the edges. Not gonna be seeing through this one. It looks kind of like dark chocolate. A single finger of tan head made of big bubbles.

Smell:
Toasted malts predominate with cocoa lingering in the background. No hops profile whatsoever. After spending some time on it, it has a slightly metallic scent.

Taste:
Toasted malts once again take the foreground. A slightly peaty smokiness comes in, with some coffee-like bitterness around the edges. It tastes a little watery. The finish is a bitter hoppiness.

Mouthfeel:
Like I've said, it's kind of watery. The taste hangs around in your mouth for a really long time, with the bitterness more pronounced.

Overall:
The quality seems alright, but it isn't my favorite. It does seem to be a good example of a porter however. I just don't care much for the wateriness.

4.44/5  rDev +15%

I found a single bottle of this beer for sale. I'll definitely be going back for a six-pack in the future.

Almost two inches of head, reducing to beautiful lacing.
Such an amazing smell. I picked up on the coffee and chocolate right off the bat.
This beer is definitely worthy of the title "Mocha". Huge chocolatey presence.
The mouthfeel is a best of both worlds of sorts. Starts off sweet and smooth early and gets a bit bitter and "dark chocolate" reminiscent toward the end.
I'm impressed!

3.28/5  rDev -15%

I didn't much like Rogue Mocha Porter. It had a sour and burnt flavour without much coffee flavour.

A: Black colour and a 5mm tan head that fades to good lacing. 4

S: Acidic malt and some charcoal. 3.5

T: Sour charcoal up front with a finish that is smoky with some sourness. 3

M: Foamy and nice. 4

O: I didn't particularly like the sour, burnt flavour. 3

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

poured black into my glass with a tan head. smells of chocolate, roast coffee, a little smokey. has a bitter chocolate taste up front, followed by smokey coffee and roasted malts. has a nice easy mouthfeel, very drinkable. overall a very good porter.

3.97/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured out with a nice tan head that seems to hold. Dark. Looks like a porter should.

I love the smell. Then again I love coffee. A little bit of smoke, dark chocolate, and alcohol.

The taste is quite bitter. Think dark rather than milk chocolate. I found myself wishing there was a touch more creamy sweetness, but there's definitely some good stuff going on. I managed to find a little caramel. The coffee taste really hits after the initial bitterness.

I found my mouth to be a little sticky after swallowing. I enjoyed the brew. Thanks Rogue!

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A- Solid half inch mocha head. Dark brown to black in color. Good head retention and some lacing left.

S- Dark chocolate.

T- Chocolate. Roasted malts. Not as much coffee notes as I usually notice in porters. "Tad smokey". Leaves the mouth watering for sure.

M- Smooth, creamy(!). Not unlike most porters.

D/O- Mmmm. Apparently this is the first Rogue beer I've reviewed. Would guess this would be near the top of the list as far as a craft drinkers first porter (it was one of mine back in the day)...and that's a good thing. Middle tier, nothing great but certainly above average. A few of these a happy camper would leave.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

undated 12 oz. bottle served in pint glass.

pours a nearly black, opaque and hazy (I think, although it is too dark to be sure) liquid with 2 fingers of tan foam. The head has good retention.

A surprising level of hops, which actually dominate the aroma. Upon tasting, their bitterness is more evident than other hop flavors; and a hop-induced bitterness lingers in the finish. There's a strong roasted malt flavor mid-taste. Notes of expresso, burnt toast and dark chocolate. Overall, this definitely has more bitterness than malty sweetness, and is richly flavored even for the style.

M - creamy smooth with good carbonation; medium body

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

A dark dark brown pours and forms a head that nearly overflows my British pint. A huge head tan with lovely lacing. The bubbles are very dense and stay with a nice head to the end.

The aroma is nice smooth full of cocoa and a roasted maltyness to starts, then a sweet coffee and almost cream notes the end.

The taste starts with the carbonation up front. The carbonation subsides. The sweet malt comes in and finishes with a roasted almost burnt flavor. If your a coffee fan you might enjoy the end but it wasn't perhaps as full flavored as the aroma lead on.

The mouth feels pleasant with a nice amount of carbonation.

4.19/5  rDev +8.5%

Enjoyed a bottle of this at Nashville's Mellow Mushroom with a "White" pizza. This beer smells amaizing with coffee and chocolate dominating your sniffer. It had a small to non-existent head. Very dark. Honestly it had almost too much flavor - and it was more bitter than sweet and my beer tooth leans on the sweet side. Also, I prefer a creamery beer and the mouth feel on this brew was much lighter. If you are looking for something that packs the flavor this is the beer for you.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into pint glass.

Appearance - Black with 2 finger head that dies down fast brown in color, good lacing.

Smell - Roasted Malts and coffee with hops in the back.

Taste - Roasted coffee and a slight bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium body clean finish a bit dry, almost no after taste.

Overall - Not a very complicated beer (a bit mild) but I like it none the less.

3.28/5  rDev -15%

A: pours darkest brown almost black with a one finger light brown head that quickly went away. decent lacing.

S: roasted malt, coffee, hops, and a little smoke.

T: Taste like it smells only muted a bit. Hop bitterness at the end. I expected bolder taste.

M: Medium to thin body with a little too much carbination for me.

O: Overall just an OK porter, maybe I expected more from Rouge. At $11 per six, I can think of many brews better for the cash.

2.93/5  rDev -24.1%

12 oz bottle pours a near-black color with a thick froth of tan head. Fades slow and leaves great lacing. If nothing else, Rogue usually masters the art of a good-looking beer.

Nose is roasty and cocoa with a surprising waft of smoke. Low on the fruit and has a decent amount of sweetness to it.

Taste is more muted than I expected, not quite sweet enough for me and lacks depth. Has some flashes of cocoa here and there, but nothing substantial to warrant the term 'Mocha'. Roastiness is decent, some coffee flavors come through. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery, seems a little one-dimensional with just a bit of dark malt really showing anything worthwhile. I am glad I finally found this as a single, I have been avoiding a full sixer for years due to the absurd price and my lack of love for the house Pacman yeast. That appears to have been wise, as this beer really does not do much for me.

12 oz.

Pours opaque black with off-white lacing.

Smells of chocolate, hops and roasted barley.

Tastes like roasted barely and coffee with a bit of chocolate sweetness.

Feels on the fuller side of moderate with mild carbonation on the tongue and back of the throat.

Good tasty porter, dark and flavorful, and appropriately heavy. A great offering from Rogue.

12oz Bottle

Appearance - The beer pours an opaque black/brown colour with a very large frothy light brown coloured head. I can't see much carbonation due the darkness of the beer and there is some very nice lacing running in stages down the sides of the glass. The head lasted for 5 minutes before it began to dissipate.

Smell - chocolate, malts, coffee, hops, smoke

Taste & Mouth - The beer has a large amount of carbonation and most of the taste consists of chocolate, coffee and malts. There is also a surprising amount of hop taste and a smoky aspect as well. The beer finishes with a hoppy/chocolaty aftertaste.

Overall - Not as heavy as some of the other craft porters I've tried which makes is really drinkable. I could actually see this working some what well as a session beer. It would also be a good beer for people that are new to the style. Worth seeking out.

3.06/5  rDev -20.7%

Bottle picked up at Total Wine in Alexandria. Served in a Hill Farmstead wine glass.

Pours near black with a thin off-white head and quite a bit of lacing as it eventually moves down. The nose brings some very dryly-roasted malt plus a bit of faint chocolate with some bold coffee in the background. The flavor has some strong roast and nothing much more than that. Very, very small amount of chocolate there as well. With the finish, the espresso and coffee from the nose begin to take over. Finish is very dry and uncompromising; it's also quite bitter. Not a bad beer, but not something I'd go out of my way to get again.

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Dark brown color, some ruby red hue. Thick creamy head, light tan color.

Fresh coffee aroma, a little smokey.

Mixture of coffee and dark chocolate up front, a little hint of smokey. Hop bitterness at the end. I notice there some dark fruit in the taste. Finish off very dry, yet it's very smooth and drinkable. Medium-light bodied, a little silky.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

ST: 12 oz poured into a pint glass.

A: Dark almost black brown with a thick dingy (brownish) white head that sits upon the top like whip cream on top of a float. The head leaves thick lacing that clings to the glass.

S: Smoke, coffee, roasted malt, and bitter citrus from dry hops.

T: Some smoke from the roasted malt and bitterness from the mocha, but the hops are in control of this porter. The dry hops citrus combines with slight smoke on the finish and some bitterness from the mocha lingers on the back of the tongue

M: Medium to heavy and mostly dry.

D: Pleasantly dry with a decent ABV, this Mocha porter is balanced well enough and not very heavy; it is a good beer to enjoy in multiples.

Overall: Though it does not have a heavy aroma, Rogue's Mocha Porter does have nice flavor. Smoke and mocha take a background seat to dry hops, which add a bitter citrus to the beer. The beer is dry and pleasing.

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

[Best served in a English pint]

Poured a very dark brown with a medium (1-2 fingers) sized creamy tan head that was mostly lasting and had fair lacing.

The aroma was moderately strong with the scent of roasted bread malts, mild resin hops and a dark leathery yeast with notes of dark chocolate, coffee, and molasses.

It tasted nice and malty with a hint of bitterness and a dose of coffee at first and finished with a strong bitter and a mild sweet flavor that had a hint of chocolate at the end. The flavor that was left did not nearly last long enough.

Mouthfeel was medium in body and a little watery yet a tad creamy in texture with a very soft carbonation.

Overall not a bad Porter, although it was rather tasty it could of had a little more body for my liking. With that said I enjoyed it totally and it is definitely worth a try.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales