Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Ratings: 2,904 |  Reviews: 1,369
4.13/5  rDev +7%

A: Dark brown, almost black, with deep garnet red undertones. Practically opaque. Pours with an epic caramel colored head that dissipates slowly and leaves substantial lacing behind. The head never dissipates entirely. This is kind of what I base my standards for porter appearance on.

S: Lots of roasted coffee goodness. Also lots of chocolate and roasted malts; relatively strong aroma.

T: Again, lots of coffee and bitter chocolate, with roasted malts being another predominant flavor. Very... porter-y.

M: Creamy and smooth; medium- to full-bodied.

D: Despite being a relatively heavy beer, this manages to be pretty drinkable. I have long used this as a go-to beer, as it is a great session porter.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

I've now had this one a handful of times, but until last night, only out of a bomber. Plan B in West Hartford, CT has it on tap this week. First time I've ever thought a beer tasted better poured from a bottle. The coffee and chocolate flavors were very faint in this pour -- I swear I remember them being more powerful the times I've had it from a bottle. The overall aroma and taste is still roasted-coffee-chocolate-esque, but this time it was more of a generic roasted maltiness, and I remember the chocolate standing out more in the past. Still a very good porter overall. The color is a very (very) dark brown only if held up to light -- appears nearly solid black otherwise, with about a 1/2" very light tan head. Drinkability is good, but it's a relatively heavy brew, so I probably wouldn't put back more than 2 or 3 at a time. Overall, a very good but not excellent porter and worth a try.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

ANOTHER great offering from Rogue. These guys have a great lineup of beers that really hit the spot
A: Pours a deep, rich black/dark brown color with a decent head that leaves a spotty lace

S: Chocolate and coffee dominate the nose, roasted malts are apparent

T: Dark chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, and perhaps a sweet, dark fruit that I cannot identify

MF: Very smooth, clean aftertaste

D: High despite its style

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours a dark, dark brown into my pint glass. Looks black until held up to the light, where it is a barely translucent and very dark brown. At first I thought I could only see light through the edges of my glass, but my friend pointed out that I wasn't holding it at a good angle and that you could indeed see a small amount of light through the whole thing. I got a little over a two finger, tan head that left very heavy lacing throughout.

Smells like an excellent porter. Roasted flavors coming through with a hint of coffee at the end.

Taste is also roasted, with a coffee and chocolate finish. Excellent, excellent taste. This is the best porter I've had in quite some time. Definitely one to keep handy whenever possible.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Dark brown colored porter with a strong coffee aroma.Taste is coffee,chocolate and roasted malt.This was not as good as I was expecting it to be,especially for how they charge you for it.Overall not bad,I will drink it again as long as I don't have to pay for it!!

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

The beer is pitch black with a nice centimeter for its head. The head stays really well. There isn't much nose in this beer, but it has some hints of chocolate and sweetness. When drinking the beer the coffee/chocolate malts come out with the chocolate out staying everything else. The chocolate coffee mix is quite nice because it has more chocolate than coffee. A sweetness does pop in there quite a bit, maybe a bit of licorice? The mouthfeel is creamy and a bit thick. This beer is pretty drinkable.

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours chestnut brown with a thin layer of head and minimal apparent carbonation.

Smell of brown sugar, raisins, slight coffee roast, and some chocolate.

Very nice, rich-tasting tones of dark malts mixed with some roasted coffee and faint toffee. Fairly bitter bite, gentle warming alcohol sensation after each sip.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Perfect carbonation level rounds out the flavors.

Nice beer, well-rounded beer. Satisfying after only a couple.

3.69/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Very tall head standing three to four inches on the tap of a black body. The body allows a purple light to get through at its base. The head is foamy and a light brown color.

S - I could smell this as I began to pour. Long roasted malt bringing out dark fruit and chocolate scents. The sublte note of alcohol can also be picked up.

T - It begins with a malt flavor moving into some dark chocolate. It ends with a nice coffee finish.

M - Starts out light an airy. The middle gets abrasive across most mouth surfaces and then it oddly finishes very wet.

~ I do like this beer and will try it again. I hope to travel out west in the next couple years to visit friends moving to Seattle. I'd really like to sample this from a tap.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Been meaning to get around to this one for a long while. Appearance is a very dark brown with a nice tan head that lives minimal lacing. Nose is pretty mild, but chocolate, light coffee and roasted malt, and a bit of dried fruit. Flavor is a lot more bitter than the nose: smoky, roasted malt right off the bat. Gets lightly into the slightly sweeter toffee malt later on, with a mild hoppy finish. Carbonation's a touch high, maybe masking the flavor just a touch. Overall, it's not bad at all, and Mocha Porter is a fairly fitting name for this highly coffee-esque brew.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

12-ounce longneck sans freshness date with a picture of the brewer giving a Black Power-looking salute, poured into a shaker pint glass yields a thick, oily stream that builds a deep, dark reddish-brown body with amber highlights at the edges. The opaque drink is capped with two thick fingers of beige foam that retains at a fat ring and laces the glass in webby bands.

Smell is chocolatey with a winey note of French roasted coffee.

Taste is bittersweet-chocolatey with dark coffee and fruity liqueur riding in a big-bodied, frothy, creamy drink that feels almost fluffy in the mouth. There's caramel and chocolate-syrupy mouthfeel and sweetness, but the drink is well-balanced by bitter roasty and tangy notes of coffee, some nice dry, biscuity malt, and is the beneficiary of plenty of tiny bubbles. Thanks to its wonderful carbonation, a brew that would rationally seem to drink thick and heavy doesn't at all, instead finishing fairly clean and cocoa-powder dry with just the right amount of lip-smacking, savory bitterness.

Smooth and silky, this makes a very nice brunch or dessert drink.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Deep chocolate brown color. Light tan colored head decent retention and lacing.

Dark choclate and coffee in the nose. Some roasted malt.

nice to see this flavor is a porter. I love it in a stout but the lighter crisper porter carries it well. Again chocolate and coffee play well together. Great roasted malt porter taste.

Creamy smooth mouth feel. Well carbonated, keeps from feeling heavy.

Very drinkable, not my favorite porter but good non the less.

4.13/5  rDev +7%

Another reliable brew by Rogue. Not their best, but that's only becuase some of their other selections are so...damn...good. Their Chocolate Stout comes to mind, but I digress. I really like the Mocha Porter because it drinks and tastes like a stout but without the heaviness nor high ABV. Pours a dark brown, frothy head. Tastes much lighter than it looks. Thick with roasted malts and a slight chocolate aftertaste. Nice.

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint-sized pub glass.

Appearance: This is one of the best looking beers I've ever seen. It has a hazy, deep reddish-brown color; it's very nearly black. I had to look at it in sunlight to tell that it's not. The head is beautiful: light brown, with a thickness of one finger that lasts for a lnog time. Eventually you get a nice, even covering, and excellent lacing.

Smell: Dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee.

Taste: Dark roasted malts, dark chocolate, and coffee. The coffee hides behind the malts a good bit. There's basically no bitterness here. Damn, is this refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy but not quite as thick as I'd expect. Actually, it reminds me a lot of a Guinnness Stout (not Extra Stout, mind), but with a bit more body, and more (better) flavor.

Drinkability: I could drink this all day. Because it's not as thick as some similar beers, it's not extraordinarily filling, although still very hearty.

I'll be keeping this one around.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

On draught at their PDX pub, poured into a Rogue pils glass, the Mocha Porter is a hazy, very dark amber with a very small, bone colored head that leaves heavy lace. Served too cold.

Smell is strong caramel malt, a bit more coffee as it warms, very clean.

Taste is very nice, a great mix of coffee and porter. This has always been a favorite homebrew combination of mine, yet most of the commercial versions our stouts, and I find the roasted malts overpower the coffee in all but the riches examples (e.g. Péché Mortel).

Mouthfeel is average, medium body and on the crisper side with the finish. Lots of burps, it wasn't the easiest on the belly.

Drinkability is good for me, as this is damn smooth and very tasty. Again, it's one of my favorite homebrew styles (coffee porter), and I'm not sure why I haven't had this before!!! Still, there's no denying the richness, I'm running out of time for my flight, will only be able to quickly slurp down one more beer, and this won't be it...as tasty as it is, I'll go with their new JLS pils, although I frankly didn't enjoy as much.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

When poured into the glass, it has a nice dark brown color to it. It's almost black. Light barely passes through and it's so dark you can't tell if there is any cloudiness to it at all. . It poured a three quarter inch tan head that faded to a film on the top of the glass. No lacing was noticeable.

The first thing you smell is a strong scent of hops. It is followed by a kind of sweet chocolate. The first thing you taste is bitter hops, but it turns to a dark chocolate flavor. There is a roasted malt accent that comes through as your drink it as well. It has a very dry finish. The after taste is a bit bitter.

This is a nice medium bodied beer. There is some creaminess to it. The carbonation isn't over done.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

appearance - Dark brown color with a nice brown head.

smell - Malt, chocolate,and coffee.

taste - Has a coffee taste to it. Taste of malt and chocolate here.

mouthfeel - Full body.

drinkability - Very good porter. I liked this a lot, a must try. Nice drinking beer to lay back.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from 12oz to standard pint glass, pours a thin but deep brown with some hints of red, nice tan head that fades

smells of chocolatey malts, smoky and roasty

tastes bitter upfront, followed by bakers chocolate, coffee, malts, roasty smokey earthiness, very much a porter, thinner to drink but very flavorful

mouthfeel was bitter and dry, easy to drink, a nice porter

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

My 4th Rogue brew. I usually enjoy this brand very much

A- Transparent brown on the edges and black in the middle. Great mocha colored head with much lacing.

S- Smell is of much chocolate and some coffee and molasses

T- Tastes like bitter coffee balanced with chocolate. Good taste if you like coffee.

M- Feels very smooth with a medium-light body and ample carbonation

D- Drinks great with a light enough body to pound back easily.

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured bottle into pint glass

A-Very dark brown that you can't see through except for the very outer edges.

S-A deep breath give you a noise full of the coffee smell you would expect. There is a healthy presence of good dark malt and a slight hint of a caramel malt.

T-Hits you off the bat with the mocha and stays with you all the way through. A very light presence of hops that is a touch more prevalent at the end. The taste of the mocha fades at the end to more of a smoky taste. Leaves with a slightly dry taste probably due to the hops

M-Has a good feel. Not too heavy but certainly not light. Just a little course, but certainly does not hurt the beer.

Overall-This is a great mocha porter for those that like the style and enjoy coffee. It was obviously brewed with this in mind.

Cheers...

4.17/5  rDev +8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A-Pours a very deep espresso brown with about 1 finger head.
S-Very fragrent of rosted malt, esspresso, with hints or chocolate.
T-Rosted malts with hint of coffee and chocolate also seems to have a hint of carmel.
M-It is a little overly carbonated for a porter but overall pretty smooth.
D-Easy to drink could very easily be a dessert beer.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

pours really dark almost opaque from a 12 oz bottle to a pint glass. big foam head the dissipates rather quickly to to a half finger lace. um... it's got a bitter sweet taste that leaves a bitter hop malty flavor on the back of the tongue. it smells really good and portery. not my favorite porter. I like sierra nevada and anchor porter better than this. drinkability is poor for me ....I'm not too hot on the taste. But, i could drink it again. just not on a summer night in Florida.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from bottle into a tumbler

A - Deep dark brown with a huge tan, creamy head. Fair retention; not much lacing

S - Bold roasty malt character and, as one would expect, mocha -- chocolate and coffee. I know there are hops in this porter, but I'm not picking them up in the nose, but that may just be my poor sense of smell

T - As one would expect from the nose, the roasted malts and coffee are very prominent right off the bat, along with a faint bittersweet chocolate flavor. The roasted malts are quickly overcome by a stout bitterness, as if I was drinking straight black hoppy coffee.

M&D - The bitterness coats the palate after swallowing. Sometimes when I breathed in, I could detect a smoked coffee flavor. Medium bodied. The mocha character is not very pronounced when the porter is held on my tongue; I really only get bitterness. The strong bitterness and medium body limit the drinkability for me, but it's what I would expect from an American Porter.

Definitely an American Porter I'll have to revisit in the future when I refine my palate some more

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a bottle into a dokel

A: pours dark and opaque with a two finger tan head.
S: very malty, DArk roasted barley, almost burnt
with a hint of coffee
T: tastes of chocolate an malt. fades to a very rich hoppy bitterness.
M: almost too carbonated, once the carbonation is aggravated the taste comes out further.
D: all around a decent Porter not my favorite but it certainly exhibits the name.

4.21/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pitch black with a tan head and light lacing. Smell isn't as strong as I would have expected (or liked), certainly not as predominant as something like BBC's Coffeehouse Porter. This beer tastes very delicious. It's a very balanced beer that didn't taste as bitter as I expected. It's lighter than I expected but a solid medium-to-heavy bodied with low carbonation and high drinkability. I prefer their Chocolate Stout but this is a great beer that I'd consider committing to in keg form.

3.69/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured a nice dark brown with practically no head.

The smell was really faint, I had to really put some effort into catching the tones of this scent. It came off as roasted malts and hops.

The taste, however, certainly made it's presence known. The hops and roasted malt where there in force, accompanying a nice chocolate/cofee taste. Really good.

Went down smooth. Very well balanced mouth feel, and a nice pleasant burnt hops after-taste.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales