Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Ratings: 2,905 |  Reviews: 1,369
3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

12-oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Very dark brown to black with small tan head that quickly dissipated with slight lacing.

S = Hint of chocolate, coffee, roasted nuts. Still a little understated.

T = Slightly bitter, coffee, roasted malt. Good. Expected more sweetness.

M = Relatively light body, small carbonation, coats mouth but not thickly.

D = A good porter (though I would have been tempted to claim it as a stout if I had brewed it). Worth another drink and could be a good regular standby dark to please even those who usually don't liek porters.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a dark-chocolate black with an off color head that dissipates quickly leaving a small amount of lace on the glass.

Smell is relatively simple. Malt, Coffee, and Chocolate. I am surprised at how mild the smell is. I thought it would have been a bit stronger.

Taste matches the smell... the malt is the strongest with a subtle coffee and chocolate flavor behind with a touch of bitterness close to that found in a cup of coffee sneaking in at the end. With second sip I detect some more sweetness close to a raisin flavor.

Mouth feel is light with a mild warming sensation after the swallow. The light body and flavor makes this beer easy and drinkable.

This IS a good beer, but I expected much more given my experience with some of their other beers. Maybe it is my own fault for having expectations. I would drink it again, but I prefer their Shakespeare Stout or Chocolate Stout.

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a dark brown that looks a lot like a cola, with a small head that actually leaves a bit of lacing. Smell is great. Very powerful aromas of coffee and dark chocolate, though the coffee is definitely prominent. Taste is pretty bitter, as the name would suggest. I was expecting a little more sweetness, but this isn't bad at all. Definitely one to sit back and enjoy. Nothing spectacular, but still a very solid porter. I think it is actually a compliment to Rogue to say that this is one of their inferior brews. Glad I picked up a six pack of this.

P: 12 oz. longneck brown bottle.

A: Pours black as coal with an intense 2 finger light brown foam head that very slowly lowers to a thick cover and LACING.

S: Coffee, chocolate, roasted grains and sweetness

T: Carbonation brings in a very smooth roasted malt, sweet chocolate and a bitter coffee mix that roll around in the mouth and leave a very nice dry mix of aftertaste on the palate.

M: Surprised that this is not a smash mouth Rogue, rather a kinder and gentler Rogue that I really enjoy as it is very pleasing in all respects.

D: Will try to keep this on hand for guests and will not hesitate to recommend or order if I ever see it on tap.

3.32/5  rDev -14%

Dark black with some thin tan lacing and somewhat active. Aromas of dark caramel, bing cherry, espresso, and roasty sweet malts. Dry dark roasted espresso up front with a slight sour fruit in the back. Burnt grains, dark chocolate, and an assertive bitter and fruity hops adds to an interesting contrast but might be a little much. Nice full mouthfeel and an almost creaminess from this session beer. Good beer but doesn’t leave a lasting impression.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Dark as night with a fluffy tan heads that fades slowly.

S: Pine and citrus jump out first, then sweet malts, chocolate, butterscotch and toffee.

T: Pine hoppiness, tart fruit, a slight smokiness that reminds me of a dark, bitter coffee.

M: Good carbination and long finish.

D: Good winter session brew. I see more of these bombers in my future.

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%

12 ounce bottle, $9.99 for six pack at Gold Rush Liquors, Anchorage, AK.

Appearance: deep brown, nearly opaque, with limited medium brown head, minimal to no lacing. Appropriate for style, little else.

Aroma: limited, slightly flat, fruity, perhaps a little latex paint note?

Taste: I sense fruity esters, the plastic/latex note comes through. Limited to no roast, limited mocha/chocolate, even though I'm looking for it.

Mouth: crisp, somewhat prickly carbonation given the style.

Overall: drinkable, decent, but relatively unimpressive. Deeply average given what Rogue can do.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Had it in its bottle at Moan and Dove. The appearance of this beverage was great: very dark with a thin head. The smells of oak-like chocolate flavors were very unique to me especially by the balance of the sweetness and woody textures. However, the taste was radically not that mocha-like, but it was still quite good with subtle balances of bitter and sweet flavors. Its high carbonation made it really drinkable. This was not as sweet as one would expect but its crisp and thick body is worth drinking nonetheless.

4.67/5  rDev +21%

Went to a semi-local pub and with about a fifteen beers on tap and I went for the Rogue handle. The current Rogue selection was the Mocha Porter.

The porter served up dark brown with a thin head and some lacings. The smell was sweet and chocolatey and malty. The taste was exceptional and satisfying ... delicious.

The mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy, and it and so easy to drink, that I ordered a second. This beer fills up the belly, and would be great as a main course in itself, or nice as a desert beer.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into my pint glass. Thick frothy head and a nice dark brown color. Lacing is great.

I could smell that signature Rogue aroma as I was pouring the beer. Nice chocolate and caramel notes come out. I am liking this mocha porter so far and I haven't even tasted it yet.

Taste is sweet and the malting is thick. Nice chocolate and caramel malts balanced by a chocolate flavor. Hops provide a compliment to cut the sweetness. I taste a little undertone of tofee.

Mouthfeel has a slight creaminess and a moderate carbonation. Finishes a little dry. I would like a tiny bit less carbonation to bring out the creamienss more.

I often get confused as to what beer I'm having if I am doing a blind tasting, but somehow rogue has such a unique signature on its beers that I can always recognize it as a rogue beer. I wish they sold this beer in lubbock, but I doubt they ever will because the rogue stock we do have is old and never gets rotated. I would buy the shit of it but I know it will be horrible.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

22oz bottle, no visible freshness/bottling date. Pours a very dark mahogany color, thin tan head settles fairly quickly. Aroma is roasted malt, with hints of fruit, some cocoa. The expected mocha shows up a bit in the flavor department, but is more mellow than i expected. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth, a bit creamy as are most rogue brews. Very drinkable. Mocha flavor is not too in your face, and the abv is rather low, so i would bet it'd be rather easy to put back a few pints of this.

*Edit* : A second, more vigorous pour into the glass resulted in a thick creamy head, much like a root beer float would have.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

A: I am very pleased to see that this beer isn't jet black. A lot of porters are tending toward jet black bodies but this one is does not fall in that group. It is dark dark mahogany with a frothy mocha colored head. It has ruby notes at the edges when held to the light.

S: The aroma has a bunch of dark malt with a good amount of roast. I don't get much coffee from the aroma which seems strange for a mocha porter.

T: There is a good amount of roasted malt in this beer. There is a decent coffee flavor that lasts well into the aftertaste but it's mostly a bitter flavor.

M: This is a nice creamy medium-heavy body but it ends rather thinly.

D: Not a bad porter at all. It's on the robust end of the spectrum and I don't get much chocolate in the flavor, but it's still tasty.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Big, rocky caramel colored head on top of totally black body. Very good head retention as well.

S - Hops, alcohol, and dark chocolate. Notes of plums and roasted grain with some citrus aromas coming from the hops.

T - Lots of coffee flavor and roasted bitterness with hop bitterness coming in to compete as well. Some hints of chocolate.

M - Thin body with moderate to light carbonation.

D - Pretty easily drinkable, especially if one were a coffee drinker already. The bitterness is a little much, and I think it would be better balanced if the body was somewhat heavier.

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

This Rogue is a beauty on the pour with a midnight black coffee body and delicate head that dissipates quickly, soon looking like froth on the top of an ice cream soda. A roasted malt smell predominates. The porter is full bodied with some hoppy bitterness. The finish has a strong french roast coffee flavor. I'm somewhat disappointed in getting almost no chocolate flavor - mocha is a misnomer with the lack of chocolate. I'm not complaining - thoroughly enjoyed the taste. Mouth feel is good but wouldn't want another to follow.

3.62/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ripe, tart fruit and rich, chocolate malt. Vanilla hints.

Dense, reddish brown – mostly opaque. Nice little short-lived brown head.

Rich-roast chocolate malt attack. Good tartness hits me jaw like a green apple. Powdery malt texture. Fresh, grassy hops.

As an amply tasty porter, this brew’s only shortcoming is that it does not display the level of mocha I would expect from a self-declared Mocha Porter; I would welcome a stronger influence of richer, denser, darker malt.

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%

One of my favorite porters. Dark dark brown, a little more carboation than some porters I've had. Just enough hints of mocha and hops to differentiate it from English counterparts. It has a more herbal smell than leafy or grassy. The extra hops and slightly more carbonation give it a more lively mouth feel.
To me it is very drinkable, had a session for my 30th birthday.

22oz bomber, served in a pint glass.

A - deep, dark brown color with a good sized tan head that fell to a ring leaving spotty lace.

S - dark roasted coffee aroma mixed with some aroma of cocoa.

T - roasty malt and cocoa flavor with a little bit of a hoppy bite on the finish.

M - medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - a good tasting, drinkable porter.

3.71/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz. bottle from Rogue,

A: Pours a very dark brown, looks black on the first pour, but as the beer is drunk, its true brown colour shines through. Solid light tan head, great retention, little lacing though.

S: Milk chocolate and roast predominately, lighter than what I would have expected from Rogue.

T: Tastes heavily of roasted malt, dark chocolate, some pine hops there as well. The bitterness is fast and direct, blunt, but inviting. A very bittersweet tasting beer, reminds me a lot of 70% cacao dark chocolate.

M: Smooth and crisp, for a porter, soft, heavy in carbonation, maybe a little too much so, but a minor flaw for me.

D: A good solid porter from Rogue. Would think it would go well with a nice burger or medium rare steak. A nice production overall, another good beer from Rogue.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

A - Black color, dark amber when held up to light. Looks like coca cola. Frothy beige colored head, eighth inch high. Thin patchy lacing.

S - Mostly dark roasted coffee, tangy grapefruit hop undertones. Very sharp smelling.

T - Definitely lives up to its name as a mocha flavor dominates at first, then it segues into a bittersweet hoppy flavor.

M - Moderate carbonation. Light creaminess.

D - Surprisingly this is not a very heavy beer,which enhances its drinkability as its flavors are somewhat intense. This beer is tasty :)

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

pours black with red highlights when held up to the light, medium tan head that left quite quickly leaving a ring around the edge with slight lacing as i drink.

smelled strong of roasted malt, slight coffee, chocolate.... whiff of hops right off the top...

taste was immediately of hop bitterness, followed by bitter chocolate and barely a touch of coffee... i was hoping for more coffee flavor, a little bit less hops i guess, although i have noticed that most rogue beers i have tried seem to all be a little heavy on the hops (IMO)... as it warmed the chocolate flavor strengthened as did the hop flavor, still not as much mocha as i would have liked for a mocha porter...

the back end was dry with all the hops, leaving a clean palate that makes this beer drinkable. i finished it with no problems, but with so many other porters out there i dont know if i would choose this one again any time soon, but i wouldnt snub my nose at it if someone handed me a cold one!

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured from a 12oz into a tulip style christoffel glass. I am usually not a porter or stout type of guy, but was amazed at how likable this beer is. Smells sweet and chocolately, not at all offensive. Taste is good also, somewhat dark and burnt tasting, very sweet as well. For a porter, very drinkable and smooth. I've had this beer before, but don't remember it being so nice. Will buy again, but probably not very often.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

I picked up this beer on a whim at the local Beerporium.

It poured pitch black with about a two finger head that quickly dissipated to about a quarter-finger head. The smell is very characteristic of a porter with undertones of burnt coffee. The taste didn't really floor me, and the somewhat pleasant and almost sweet taste of the beer gives away to an aftertaste that was a little too bitter for my liking at first that seemed to become less bitter as the beer warmed. Overall, I ended up enjoying it quite a bit more than I thought I would when I took the first sip. I can see what some people like about this beer, but to me as a fairly new beer drinker it didn't seem to have the depth that something like Gonzo Imperial Porter or Southern Tier Porter. I couldn't imagine myself drinking more than one of these at a time, as it seems to sit a little heavy in me. I'd say it's a fairly respectable porter that I was able to find at a fairly cheap price of about $1.75 a bottle. Decent beer aside, I can't imagine picking it up again unless I'm short on money and really want myself a porter.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Pretty! Pitch black body, completely opaque with a nice, 1/4 of mocha head on top. The head falls to a film pretty quickly, but continues to hang on the side of the glass. This beer is a black hole, so dense it sucks me in. I cannot wait to drink this.

The nose is filled with traditional porter scents: burnt coffee being the major one, chocolate in a close second. There are hints of dark fruits such as raisins and dates, plums and then a note of alcohol tying it all together. Good as far as smell goes, but nothing extraordinary.

A little bit heavy on the alcohol flavor, kind of drowns out what would be an amazing flavor. Chocolate comes through a little more than the coffee, the whole thing balanced by a deep, roasted malt character. I taste a little bit of plum and molasses flavor, also noteworthy is a lingering hops flavor.

The mouth is thick and syrupy up front, but it finishes up as a light swallow with a dry finish. As far as porters go, this is a good one to turn someone on to the style, but at the same time a little heavy to be something one could easily start drinking. I'd like to pick up more of these in the future, but there are definite porters I would choose over this one.

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

Well, I'm trying to learn to like Porters & Stouts, but, not being a fan at all of coffee, it is a tough road to go.

Pours just like a Coke. Blackish, and brown-tan head. Great sheet of lace on the glass.

Smells of coffee, of course, with a bit of citrus.

Tastes of coffee, again, and a slight smack of hoppyness. Very bitter after taste, but, in a good way.

Mouthfeel is a bit oily, that finished with chocolate. So far, best Porter I have, which is not many..yet.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

The beer poured an opaque deep brown shade with rust colored highlights and produced a nice thick tan colored head. The head subsided to a thin pad, leaving splotchy lacing about the glass. I was hoping for a bit more head retention...The initial aroma of the beer is hoppy - a mostly piney scent with subtle citrus tones. The spiceyness of the hops does not linger, however. The aroma is also rich with roasted malt and chocolate notes. Roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate dominates the flavor, but there is also a hint of coffee. Burnt notes are also intermingled. The hops do not come through in the flavor quite as much as in the aroma, although the flavor is still pleasantly bitter and finishes dry and clean. Overall, the flavor profile is quite balanced. Solid medium-full bodied beer is almost a bit chewy. Maintained carbonation well but seems almost a bit more effervescent than should be for the style - although it does aid in smoothing out the body and bitterness. All in all, a good porter and worth trying.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales