Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Reviews: 1,365 | Ratings: 2,874
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Pazzo's in Lexington. 20oz draft.

A: Deep, opaque brown body with a thick, rocky, milk chocolate-colored head. Just the slightest bit of lacing attempts to cling to the sides.

S: A mild, roasted coffee aroma followd by some dark chocolate. Really, thats about all I got out of the nose. I was kinda underwhelmed, but we were in a restaurant/pub so there were alot of other things in the air - fresh baked pizza for example!

T: Mild roasted coffee followed by a dash of dark chocolate and a faint smoky flavor. Malt backbone holds firm throughout, with a mild sweetness and some residual roasted flavors. Really, I was expecting more mocha/chocolate flavors to be present - what was there just seemed really subdued to me. And this was my first beer of the evening, so I know it wasn't due to my palate not being fresh.

M: Medium carb that is prickly and lends an edge; otherwise, hard pressed to call this beer thick or thin - its right in the middle really.

D: Not hard to drink at all, but I think I would probably prefer a coffee or a chocolate stout (Young's Double Chocolate, anyone?) if I wanted to get a mocha or coffee fix from my beer.

Not bad, I was just kind of underwhelmed by this beer, and I really love and try to seek out most beers that feature prominent mocha, chocolate or coffee flavors. That being said, there are many others out there that have more vibrant flavor profiles IMO.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Blind Beer #4! This seemed like such a good idea at just before 3 in the morning. I couldn't wait until tomorrow for another chance to taste something completely random from my favorite pint glass.

Vision
Well this is unusual. There was an explosion of head from the pour. Technique wasn't anything aggressive or destructive. It was a simple pour to create one and a half... no, two... wait... two and a half fingers! Uncanny... only problem is, it has low retention.

It quickly puffs, fizzles, and poofs its way down to a cotton ball appearance. It is as if three separate cotton balls of foam were plopped into my beer. Tan, almost toasted bread coloring to the froth. The lacing is sporadic, and when it exists it is...irregular and poofy much like the head, too many giant bubbles to look appealing in my book.

The body on this one is deep, but more on the level of soy sauce with apple juice somewhere in its family tree. Tons of carbonation beds apparent from the top down view to give hope for something delightful.

Bouquet
Caramel sweetness, slight, almost hidden chocolate love here. Definite presence of a chocolate smoke. I imagine this is what a chocolate cigarette might toss off from it's lit end, minus all the nasty polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Some roasted grain smokey flavors as well.

Flavor Profile
Opens sweet, very interesting. Caramels come through here, some chocolate... yes there is something chocolaty about this one. The middle is a weird generic flavor. Almost like a plasticizer leached into it, but that could be my imagination. Last dying breaths reveal a burnt flavor, like burnt toast, that is snuffed out by the finish. That finish would be a strong hop presence. Bitter with pine thoughts. I would have imagined it to be unusual for a beer this dark to have a strong hop finish.

Oral Sensations
Definitely crisp and bubbly. Loads of carbonation sizzle and splash across my orifice. Mild body with a thin presence. Lingers well enough with strong bitter notes. Same flavor exists as a residue around the inside of my cheeks and upon my teeth.

Conclusions
Chocolate hopped up porter? I have no clue... Who makes a hopped up porter in a twelve ounce anyway? It is not bad. Seems alright for the most part. Very happy to tick something unusual in this way. Wish it was a bit more clear in its bouquet and flavors, but I'm happy with how this one ended. I might try it again in the future.

22 oz. Bomber
A: Dark, opaque no cream added coffee in color with a slightly dark tan head that develops nicely and retains as a thin layer. Good lacing.
S: The first thing that comes to mind (actually the second and third also) is a toned down Brooklyn Black Chocolate. Dark chocolate covered coffee beans, burnt coffee, and some burnt oaky scents in there.
T: Again with the BBC - Very noticeable parallel to Brooklyn, albeit quite toned down. Burnt/roasted coffee beans and bittersweet chocolate up front, slight hoppy offset in the middle and chocolate covered beans in the back. After the first sip give it a minute and you'll get quite a delcious chocolate/mocha covered coffee bean aftertaste. It's actually quite enjoyable.
MF: Way too thin!
Overall: An above average porter that has a nice flavor profile. Does nothing to seperate itself from the other hoards of high quality porters out there. Seems to be trying to imitate at times. Worth a shot.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug from the 12 oz bottle. Appearance is very dark, with some light coming throught the bottom revealing some ruby notes, but not a lot. Pours with a good foamy head that sticks around for a while. Inviting.

Smell is faint chocolate with hops a bit of the coffe comes through, but that might just be me anticipating the taste...

Taste is very strong coffee, especially in the finish. The taste dominates this beer - very good, but seems to be missing something. I don't quite know what though. Solid taste all around however. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Light carbonation dies down after about 2 or so seconds, allowing you to fully absorb the taste if wanted. Surprisingly thin in my opinion... not the strongest part of this beer but pretty good.

Drinkablility: An interesting beer that turned me off at first, but after drinking it for a little while I really started to like it. I'd probably go for another...

Notes: Very good as a kick-back-after-dinner beer. If you like coffee this is right up your alley, but if not it doesn't offend. I might pick up a sixer of these in the future, but there are so many better beers out there right now for me to go out and get one that's just so-so in my eyes. A solid attempt by Rogue.

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%

This beer pours jet black has a brown 1/2 finger head with fair retention and average lacing for a porter. The aroma is of bakers chocolate and ground coffee. The taste is a rich smokey chocolate malt flavor which finishes bitter and coffee-like. This beer is medium bodied and smooth.

Reflection: I would take a stout from Rogue any time over this porter.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Ah, going back to the beers that got me interested in craft beer to begin with. It's interesting to see how my tastes have changed.

APPEARANCE: Pours into an English-style pub glass black with red-amber highlights. A one-finger, light tan head forms on top and slowly drops to a full collar with some patchy haze.

SMELL: It runs the porter gamut from caramel to chocolate to a touch of black malt. Coffee is there as well, though you have to do a little searching. It adds another layer onto this beer but is held in check enough to keep the roastiness at a minimum.

TASTE: Up front, it's mostly black malt and coffee without any of the middling caramels. Only toward the finish does the beer sweeten up any, but it goes a bit far. A little hop flavor comes on toward the end to balance any sweetness out. But some caramel and a touch of diacetyl linger on through what is otherwise an empty finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Much thinner than I like and pretty thin even for most people. Carbonation is actually slightly high.

DRINKABILITY: The thin body does help here (I'll give it that), but I'd prefer something more dessert-like, especially when there's coffee involved too. I could have a pint or 2, but there are better examples for sure.

Ah well, some things aren't like you remember them. Or maybe they are and I've just come to expect more. Either way, give Mocha Porter a shot and decide for yourself. Maybe you didn't like it long ago, but your tastes could change too.

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured into a pint glass, this beer is dark brown with amber highlights. Cascading bubbles create a good sized head, however it is not very dense, resulting in subpar retention and zero lacing.

Cocoa powder and roastiness make up the aroma profile.

Taste is a bit watery, with some chocolate, a nice amount of roastiness, and a vague leafy hop bitterness in the finish. I kept expecting this to improve with warmth, but it never did.

Mouthfeel, again, is too watery. Carbonation is medium and on the fizzy side. Still a pretty smooth brew.

I have a feeling this is one of those beers that's significantly better on tap. Not one of Rogue's better efforts.

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

This beer pours a dark brown if not black. The tan head is nice and creamy, but leaves little to no lace. Aromas of chocolate and coffee are dominate. Little to no hops were noticeable. The taste was a little bitte for me. It tastes almost exactly like coffee (this is of little surprise to me as the beer is a MOCHA porter). This is a very full-bodied beer. I have trouble drinking more than one of these at a time. To me, this beer does not taste good enough to merit a higher score and the smell is a little to much on the coffee side. This is a rather average beer to me.

Took one of my dad's 12 ounce bottles from his six pack, sorry pops

Pour was very dark brown with an off white head about a half inch high

Smell was strictly coffee beans

Taste was deep and had a nice smokiness to go along with the java

Very drinkable for a porter, most dark beers are real heavy, but not this one

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer pours a dark black with some light seeping through the edges giving the glass a cola colored halo. The head is nothing more than sad little flecks of dark bubbles.

Smells strongly of coffee with a little sour cherry, cocoa and raisins.

Tastes of giant roasted coffee and light green grapes with a concealed alcohol sting, but no alcohol flavors. There’s a slight prune sweetness here as well and the coffee could also be construed as being much like red wine. The blend of espresso and red wine is very nice, but arguably overpowering.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied with only a light carbonation. Compared to the powerful flavor, this seemed really flat and boring.

This one’s just too intense for it’s own good. I’m not quite sure when a good time to drink something like this would be.

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%

A lonely single 12oz bottle purchased from Wine Emporium in Boston with a sale sticker on it for $1.55, so I have no guesses as to the age of this one. It foams up upon opening, although it's been resting for a while. Poured in a few stages due to the big fluffy head. Pours essentially black, with a somewhat metallic malty aroma. First taste is pleasant, and gets better as time passes. It starts with a malty flavour, almost a bit light at first, before passing on to a pleasing aftertaste which leads to lingering coffee notes. A slightly metallic mouthfeel in the foretaste (is that a word?) detracts a bit.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours a dark coffee color with a small tan head.

Smell is very slight and requires a good deep sniff to even notice. There's some chocolate malt scent, but again, hardly at all.

Taste is nice and pleasant. It's not overwhelming or too bold. You can taste the chocolate malt and a slight bit off coffee and some hopiness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth, bubbly and creamy. Not bad at all.

Drinkability is where this beer is at. This could easily be a good session beer.

There is nothing Earth-shattering about this brew but it is definitely one to try.

12oz bottle into pint glass: from notes
A: Pours a deep brown body, with some red around the edges. The head is a foamy layer, that holds into a small layer. Lace is left in small patterns.
S: A subtle aroma that have a profile of bitterness and a malty note.
T/M: The front is expressed by a malt character that shows a bit of a grainy note. A dry mouthfeel, that holds an almost sour note. A bit of bitter chocolate, that I do not find very pleasing.
D: While not on the overly drinkable side, due to the explosion that are the shambled flavors. The overall beer is nice and easy to drink.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: It pours reddish brown from bottle and then settles very dark in the glass with some reddish/amber hue near the edges. Thick and frothy head; Tan in color (I like) with mix of small and medium size bubbles. Looks pillowy, with but also a little creamy. Recedes in a about a minute.

S: Primary smell is coffee; and roasted malt. I didn't really pick up on mocha or chocolate till later; it seemed much more subdued.

T: Bitterness upfront - dryness. Hoppiness. And smokey, roasted malt flavor. With more coffee flavor than chocolate, in my opinion. The balance feels a bit more Hop-forward (for the style) than I was expecting -- which is good for me.

M: Medium body; dry mouthfeel. Carbonation is noticeable. Beer lingers a little after taking it down. Feels thinner than I would prefer.

D: It goes down well. You should be able to knock this back pretty easily. Nice flavors. Nice aroma. Not too challenging.

Not bad overall. I like the bitterness. I picked up the coffee notes but not really much in the chocolate department like it says on the bottle. There there, but subtle.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

The fact that I'm writing this review on a Friday night after a long week at the office could result in a letter grade discrepancy!

Poured this eagerly into my favorite tulip glass from a 12oz. bottle.

A - A thick three finger head builds to the top of the glass, but settles quickly to a quarter inch of creamy toasted marshmallow colored foam. A solid black appearance, with a dark ruby highlight when held to the light.

S - Slight whiff of coffee grounds and molasses, very minimal nose.

T - Not tons of flavor, I'm really letting it linger try to pull subtle characteristics. There's some coffee flavor up front, with a bitter bakers chocolate finish.

M - Thinner than I expected, and crisper as well. The carbonation is biting into my tongue. I'm drinking slow to experience any mouthfeel or flavor changes as it warms. It reminds me of a root beer float once the last of the ice cream has melted.

D - Smooth and drinkable, almost to a fault. I wanted to take a bite out of this beer, but I couldn't sink my teeth into it.

An enjoyable, easy to drink porter. Didn't blow me away.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from bomber into Chimay chalice.

A - Big, foamy, frothing cream-colored head, slow to recede.
Black until held to the light, brown-ruby shines through at bottom of glass

S - Getting a bit of caramel, a faint flavored-coffee aroma, and some dark, dried fruit.

T - really toasty, like liquid chocolate malt, some semi-bitter dark chocolate flavors - though the beer as a whole is not overly bitter. Coffee present in smell is not detectable here. Also missing is the "porterness" of this beer.

M - Somewhat coating, low in noticeable carbonation, despite implications set forth by the massive head.

O - Upon second inspection, the bottle says nothing of coffee specifically. Having been thrown by the name - Mocha implying chocolate coffee, I was at first let down by the lack of coffee flavor. Still a decent brew, although I thought not very characteristic of a porter. Good beer, terribly inaccurate name.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Served in a tumbler. Poured the color of cola with a frothy, half inch, khaki-colored head that was re-invigorated with each pour. Head eventually dissipates into a frothy, inconsistent skim. Thick bands of lacing were revealed as the brew was consumed. Nose was fairly mild - some dark malts, but not getting much else. Taste reveals dark malts, a little char and some chocolate/coffee notes which are overwhelmed by the char. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied with a light, background effervescence. Not much flavor here, but a good example of the style and fairly easy drinking.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured a nearly impenetrable black with a thick 2 finger head of a caramel color. Nice lacing on the glass. Head hangs for the duration.

Smells of chocolate and only a slight hint of coffee. Also a bit smokey. You can almost smell the dryness.

Taste is sweet and chocolaty. Bitterness of coffee and pine in the finish. Definitely charred malts. Very dry finish. Kinda watered down a bit.

Mouthfeel is weak. Carbonation is light. Maybe could have used a bit more time on the shelf?

Drinkability is pretty good. I could definitely make this a session drinker if it was being served all night. Although I would not choose this on purpose.

I'm a bit disappointed with this one. I will try it again to see if I just got a bad bottle. No bottled on or best enjoyed by date to be found. I'm a fan of Rogue beers so I will actively see this beer to compare in the future.

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

Nearly opaque black with luxurious creamy brown head that lasts and forms lace. Good appearance for sure.

Pretty weak aroma -- some stale coffee in there.

Very modest flavor profile as well. Some roasty chocolate and old iced coffee. Some coffee bitterness in the finish.

Milky, soft mouthfeel. Too thin.

This beer didn't do it for me, really. I'd like it to be bigger, more robust.

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%

It looks good in the glass, nice head, darck and rich color.

Very pleasant smell, inviting to any hophead.

What can I say, it's a solid hoppy beer with coffee and a bit of chocolate, but its nothing terribly special. The taste wasn't as complex as I would have hoped. It was well balanced, but at the same time nothing much stood up past the hops and slight coffee note.

The carbonation feels just right in my mouth, however, I'm left with a slightly unpleasant dry taste that really detracts from the whole experenience.

Overall, a pretty good beer but nothing memorable about it. Its smooth like a good beer should be and hoppy like a good Am. Porter, but it doesnt go beyond any expectations and there are no surprises. Like I said, its good, and I'd drink it again, but its too bland a porter for me to buy anytime soon.

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%

From the bottle to a mug-

Look: Dark brown, a bit of light shines red at the edges of the glass, small tan head

Smell: Strong roasted coffee, sweet dark chocolate

Taste: Not at all sweet, rich bitter coffee is present throughout. Bitter roasted flavors compliment the sweet smell.

Feel: Relatively light, fair amount of carbonation

Drink: Pretty drinkable. I wouldn't recommend it for the tasters or the sippers, as the flavor is pretty one-sided.

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: 1 finger brown head. Molasses to black color. Carbonated.

S: Molasses, chocolate and licorice. Hint of alcohol.

T: Very chocolatey upfront. Tad bit molasses flavor and slight espresso finish.

M: thinner then expected although still slightly chewy and full bodied.

O: This is an ok beer. Tastes good but I'd pass on buying it again.

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a pretty good porter, and I really enjoyed it. It has lots of roastiness but is not tremendously different from other porters. Its mouthfeel is a bit thin.

This beer pours rather viscous, but is very, very dark. It has a plentiful off-white head. Aroma is lightly sweet coffee notes. Flavor is very roasty, with lots of "burnt pizza crust" character that I really enjoy. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery, particularly for a beer of this style. All-in-all, I'd definitely recommend, but it is not among the top couple of beers in this style in my opinion (Edmund Fitzgerald, Anchor Porter, etc).

3.4/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Very black in color. Just a bit of light brown highlights at the bottom rim. Not much of a head at all. What was there was under a finger and mocha colored. Dissipated very quickly and leaves no lace at all.

Smell is of dark roasted malts. Coffee, chocolate and brown sugar. I am also pulling some hops. This kind of smells like a Black IPA.

Taste is kind of a wreck. There are some overly roasted coffee flavors that mix oddly with the bitter hops. It kind of tastes like a coffee dipped orange popsicle.

Mouth is very light and watery. This doesn't have a good porter mouthfeel at all. Kind of reminds me of a BMC attempt at the style.

Overall I was really let down by this. With so many great and sought after Rogue beers I picked this out because I didn't see how any brewery could screw up this style. I was wrong. Not the bottom of the style but if you can buy just one bottle it's worth a shot. If you have to buy the whole 6-pack.. not recommended.

3.38/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into pint glass.
A: Dark brown with relatively thick dark tan head.
S: Coffee, roasted malts, chocolate aromas.
T: Medium roast coffee with a dry finish. Not as smooth, dark, or complex as I was expecting. A slightly bitter aftertaste.
M: Medium body with hop bite. Taste barely lingers and unfortunately, the bitterness outlasts everything else.
D: An okay offering from Rogue, but was expecting better. There are better beers with coffee notes to them.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales