Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Ratings: 2,887 |  Reviews: 1,368
3.84/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Dark and portery!
Smell: Light chocolate. Malt and coffee.
Taste: Coffee, Malt, Chocolate and hop hints.
Mouthfeel: Carbonated, but smooth.

This is good porter. It is well-balanced, with chocolate undertones throughout; nothing really jumps out at you. It's a good example of the American porter. I'll probably get it again.

3.84/5  rDev -1%

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance – Solid black with a decent dark head.

Smell – Roasted malt and dark chocolate form the backbone of this aroma. There’s also some good sweetness here; a combination of dark, ripe fruits and table sugar.

Taste – I was quite surprised with the stiff hop balance, although I shouldn’t have been because it’s a Rogue. The bitter hops though are a compliment to the main show – dark malt and chocolate. The sweetness fades a bit but is still noticeable.

Mouthfeel – Somewhat light in the mouth, more like the Anchor Porter than the Stone, but solid nevertheless. This porter is both creamy smooth and refreshingly dry.

Drinkability – There may be some die-hards complaining about the big hops, but I thought it was a very interesting rendition of the style.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

I bought this as a single at Union Jack's on the Manatawny. I drank it in a goblet. No friggin' date on the bottle or the label.

Pours a deep, dark garnet with brown edges. A one finger head of light brown foam forms on top, falls to small islands and a ring, with minimal lacing. Carbonation appears medium.

Aroma is strong chocolate, dark malts, fruits like plums, cherries, and dried pears, some herbal hops, slight coffee at the end.

Flavor is chocolatey, fruits like above, decent hop bittering, and faint herbal hops. It's fairly dry and cleansing. Coffee comes through late. Aftertaste is dark malts and dark, dry fruits.

Mouthfeel is low to medium bodied, with medium carbonation. The finish dries out at the end.

This is a good, if slightly underwhelming, porter. The flavors and aromas are good; it's chocolatey, roasty a little, fruity a little, with a clean, dry finish. I would drink another of these if offered.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

This beer to me looked great but the taste could not compete. The beer poured a beautiful ruby black with a big pillowy tan head. The head had some real staying power.

The aroma was all coffee, chocolate, and hops and was immediately apparent the minute you cracked open the bottle.

The taste had more coffee bitterness than hop bitterness to me and I'm not a big coffee drinker. The chocolate was a very bitter chocolate taste. Kind of beyond dark chocolate and more like baker's chocolate. The hops were not as apparent to me in the taste as they were in the nose.

Mouthfeel was a big dissapointment as it was very thin. No body at all.

Fairly drinkable. This was a good change of pace from my usual diet of pale ales but not something I would really crave.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

My friends picked up a bomber of this at Total Wine and cracked it when they had me over for dinner. Not my first experience with the beer but thought I'd take notes on it this time for a review.

Appearance- A good pour yields a solid two finger tan head over the top of a nice deep brown, bordering on black body. Head retains for quite awhile before dying down to a ring. A good deal of sticky lacing left as I drink.

Smell- A solid does of burnt coffee backed up by huge amounts of roasted malts. A very aggressive nose but that's okay because I like what I'm smelling. Lots of coffee, lots of the dark malt, here I come.

Taste- Sweet roasted malt melded very well with coffee that leaves the slightest burnt aftertaste. Surprisingly sweet as well given the roastiness and burnt qualities of this brew, but in a pleasant way. Flavors are not as aggressive as the nose but prominent enough and blended well enough to make this a solid porter.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The one real criticism I have of this beer is that I find the mouthfeel to be a bit on the thin side. Most of my porters get compared in my head to the Eddy Fitzgerald (as I'm originally from Ohio), which has a much chewier body. Not so thin as to kill this one for me, but I'd appreciate it a little on the heavier side. As such, the drinkability also suffers slightly for me given the thinness.

Overall, pretty solid porter and one of the better offerings from Rogue in my opinion. Given the price, I'd be sticking with the Eddy Fitz if I were in Ohio still, but certainly worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a nearly black dark brown, topped by a half-inch of creamy tan head that hangs around for a while. Aroma of dark roasted malt and a distinct mocha quality, true to the name. Palate is rich - dark roasted malt, chocolate, mocha, and dark prunes. Body is rich and creamy, just great for a dark and robust porter. Thoroughly enjoyable, and I don't even drink coffee.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Presentation: On tap @ the Isaquah Brewhouse (Rogue), Isaquah WA...into a cone pint...

Appearance: Very dark brown with a clinging tan lace that seems to stay for a while.

Smell: Mildly sweet in the nose with hints of charcoal, roasted malts and a touch of hops.

Taste: Silky smooth with a nice medium bodied mouth feel. After the luscious mouth feel come the flavour which is quite malty ... light acidic twang from the roasted malts, a little dark roasted coffee/chocolate flavour and an underlying toasted biscuit taste are balanced with a perfect combo of hop and roasted malt bitterness. The lingering after taste is of faded burnt sugar, drying grain and a slightly warming alcohol. A wonderful yet delicate hop character helps to round this brew also.

Notes: Yum! There are good porters and then there are great porters ... this one goes down as a great one, no doubt!

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a dark, dark amber. Basically black at the center, with ruby highlights at the edges. Clumpy light brown head forms very quickly, and leaves a sheen of foam across the surface.

Smells of chocolate, coffee, vanilla and roast.

Tastes of smooth dark chocolate, hints of vanilla. Earthy roasted finish, with a nice edge of cedar hops to offset the sweetness up front.

Body is big, thick, and rough, with carbonation helping to thin it out a fair amount.

Rich, big, roasty, and slightly harsh, I think one bottle will do it for me. Tasty brew though.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Deep dark brown in color with minimal amber hues. Thick tan head pors two fingers thick. Decent retention. Thin and spotty lacing clings to the glass.

S: Roasted coffee. Chocolate. Raw leaf. Soft pine scent. Toasted malts.

T: Roasted coffee bean and dark chocolate meld into a raw wet hop bitterenss that has a floral and pine taste. Burnt caramel malts give off an astringent tickle on the tongue. Muted tastes of wet earth and more coffee on the back end.

M: Creamy and smooth. Miniaml carbonation. Slightly dry.

D: This was one of my first true loves. It's always nice to return to something familiar. As time has passed I have had many better porters, but I will always come back to this one. Recommended.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle poured into a Shaker pint glass. No date on the bottle although there was a stamp on the very bottom of the bottle - not clear what it meant though.

Appearance: Slow pour yielded a black beer on the table with a persistent dense 1/8" tan head. Noted that sediment stayed behind in the bottle. Held up to the light the beer has some ruby red highlights mixed in with dark brown. Sheets and strands of persistent lacing noted the whole way down the glass. Good looking porter.

Smell: Burnt sugar, mild chocolate notes, quick hint of coffee in there.

Taste: A bit of piney hop flavor right at the beginning, and then a solid black coffee bitterness. The coffee flavor is that of an extra dark roast - reminds me of a french roast in a way. Malt is barely noticeable amongst the strong coffee and bitter flavors, but is in there enough so I don't feel like I'm getting a one-sided flavor here.

Mouthfeel: Quick carbonation on the tongue and then it's gone. Coffee-like thickness to it. Not creamy, not really thick and I can't think how else to describe it. Reminds me of the mouthfeel of cold coffee.

Overall / Drinkability: I was expecting a bit more of a richer coffee and chocolate combination here which was missing. I like black coffee though so I enjoyed this, but not as much as I was hoping due to the name. Still, a good porter, just not a great one. Maybe with the right meal I could have more, but for now, 1 12oz bottle is enough.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

I got home, poured the sucker into my pint glass (no tilt) and watched a formidable, thick head form. The top bits of the head seemed to fall off quickly, but the areas around the reservoir of beer remained thick and had that nitrogen infused quality with the dark striations cascading through the head all to return to the beer.

I brought the glass to my nose and immediately got some caramel, coffee, hint of chocolate and maltish tones that were reminiscent of a strange sherry.

The coloring is very opaque. I can only make out color by tipping the glass and observing a thin pool of the beer. The color is a wonderful, rich "burnt root beer" bark. A bit too red to say it equals a rich coffee brown. There were minute chalky particles floating around in my glass.

The first taste is rather inviting as you are greeted by a lively effervescence. Not seltzer carbonation here... dense, quickly expiring yet boisterous bubbles. The taste is rich and sweet. The aftertaste is tactfully bitter. The bitter moment is enjoyable and doesn't overstay its welcome.

I really did like this porter, but feel that it is definitely a "treat" type. Not because of price or ease of locating it, but because its a bit sweet and made me feel like I just pigged out an a quarter pound of Cadbury's Fruit and Nut.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Dark brown, with hints of amber after hitting light. Foamy beige top with minmal lacing.
Coffee and chocolate aroma, roasted chestnuts followed.
Great blend of chocolate and coffee malts veering over to a nice hop bitterness in the middle, which smoothed for a clean silky finish.
I expected a little more coffee but I wasn't disappointed in the least. A complete porter with an extra creamy finish and over all good taste. I would love to have this again.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

A- Dark brown with a little bit of light squeezing through. Thin tan head, nice lacing.

S- Roasted malts, semi sweet chcocolate, coffee and carmel and molasses hints

T- Dark roasted malts, carmel, coffee, semi sweet chocolate and roasted nuts

M- Smooth and dcent carbonation. Could have been a little more creamy.

D- Enjoyable porter with some unique flavors.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

The beer poured an opaque deep brown shade with rust colored highlights and produced a nice thick tan colored head. The head subsided to a thin pad, leaving splotchy lacing about the glass. I was hoping for a bit more head retention...The initial aroma of the beer is hoppy - a mostly piney scent with subtle citrus tones. The spiceyness of the hops does not linger, however. The aroma is also rich with roasted malt and chocolate notes. Roasted malt and bittersweet chocolate dominates the flavor, but there is also a hint of coffee. Burnt notes are also intermingled. The hops do not come through in the flavor quite as much as in the aroma, although the flavor is still pleasantly bitter and finishes dry and clean. Overall, the flavor profile is quite balanced. Solid medium-full bodied beer is almost a bit chewy. Maintained carbonation well but seems almost a bit more effervescent than should be for the style - although it does aid in smoothing out the body and bitterness. All in all, a good porter and worth trying.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours nearly black, but is actually a relatively clear dark reddish-brown when held up to the light. The 1.5 finger head had some staying power and left nice lacing.

There's an obvious coffee and chocolate smell, along with plenty of roasted malts, and a touch of hops.

Taste wise it's a very smooth milk chocolate and latte combo, along with plenty of toasty, roasty malts. A light hops presence is there but faint.

It's well carbonated for a porter, medium bodied, and slightly slick going down, but relatively easy to drink.

Overall it's a tasty porter. If you like chocolate beer, this is an excellent choice.

IMO, Rogue's main problem is that the price of their sixers isn't commensurate with the level of quality (which is often equaled in similar styles, but at a considerably lower price with other breweries).

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Dark brown with a khaki tan, bubbly head.

Smell: Roasted malt, bitter coffee and chocolate.

Taste: Follows the nose with roasted malt, coffee bitterness. Darker chocolate. Coffee, caramel and even a bit of smoke. More bitter than sweet. Slightly bitter finish. Quite nice.

Mouthfeel: It is somewhat silky but lacking, I thought was too thin to contain such stong flavors.

Drinkability: It's easy to drink several.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

As most porters tend to be, this one is dark with just a hint of light showing through the brown at the bottom. Definite sediment of some kind in the bottle. Thick, foamy brown head that works its way down at a good pace and allows for the aromas to come out. Just a bit of lace at the end of the head.

This one smells like candy, but not the ultra sweet sugary candy you find at carnivals. More subtle with caramel, cocoa, brown sugar and just a bit of a Sugar Daddy smell in there.

This is a malty porter with the taste of dry cocoa powder in there, although not bitter at all. The mocha flavor is in the aftertaste and seems to hang around enough to remind you that it really is there. Very nice and mellow and fills you up.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Enjoying this with some UFC in the background. Poured an extremely dark brown with little bit of beige head and almost no lacing. Smells of chocolate malt and coffee with some caramel notes. Tastes pretty much the same with the coffee dominating the chocolate. Pretty smooth, but just slightly overcarbonated. Could kick back a few.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from bottle into a tumbler

A - Deep dark brown with a huge tan, creamy head. Fair retention; not much lacing

S - Bold roasty malt character and, as one would expect, mocha -- chocolate and coffee. I know there are hops in this porter, but I'm not picking them up in the nose, but that may just be my poor sense of smell

T - As one would expect from the nose, the roasted malts and coffee are very prominent right off the bat, along with a faint bittersweet chocolate flavor. The roasted malts are quickly overcome by a stout bitterness, as if I was drinking straight black hoppy coffee.

M&D - The bitterness coats the palate after swallowing. Sometimes when I breathed in, I could detect a smoked coffee flavor. Medium bodied. The mocha character is not very pronounced when the porter is held on my tongue; I really only get bitterness. The strong bitterness and medium body limit the drinkability for me, but it's what I would expect from an American Porter.

Definitely an American Porter I'll have to revisit in the future when I refine my palate some more

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light brown head that provides excellent lacing. Rich, dark brown color. Smells like s'mores! Sweet, chocolatey, smoky, and slightly burnt (just like I like my s'mores) Charred taste. Dark chocolate - not too sweet. Very chalky mouthfeel. Bitter. A good beer for one pint. I'll get another sometime.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

An excellent beer. Pours a great dark brown/black color with great tan head (almost too much) and decent lacing. Nice dark porter scent, deep and rich with a bit more coffee aroma than usual (of course). Good clean taste, a very good porter, with a bit of nice bitterness, along with nice mocha/coffee strains. Goes down very smoothly. A good porter anyway, but very nice if you want something a little different.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales