Mocha Porter | Rogue Ales

Style: American Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-16-2001

Ratings: 2,889 |  Reviews: 1,368

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Nice mahogany to black color, lightly translucent, with a thin head and moderate lacing. The inviting aroma of chocolate comes through as does roasted malt with a hint of coffee. The taste follows the nose having a nice balance between roasted malt and chocolate flavors. Chocolate comes through a bit more on the finish with little aftertaste. Quite smooth. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall, found this beer to be very nicely balanced and easy going down. Could definitely have another.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Dark and rich. Nice head that last.
S: Smelled of morning coffee. Slight burnt smell.
T: Every Rogue I have tried has been incredibly solid. This keeps the streak going. Taste of mostly coffee some hints of chocolate with some bitterness at the end. Great Beer!
M: Not as thick as Rogue's Stouts.
D: Watch yourself with this one. It taste as good as Rogue's stouts but is thinner and has less bite. You could find yourself drinking a bunch of these.
Notes: In Morganton N.C. I have to drive an hour to Asheville to get Rogue's brews and all of them have been worth it.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This porter pours nice and ebony brown into a pint glass. Abundant, long lasting mocha head leaves good lacing. Maybe the best looking porter I've seen.

Really good roasty aromas. Nutty, roasty malts and earthy hops. Good intensity, too. I find a lot of porters come kind of short on the nose, but this is the exception.

Really great, substantial flavors. Rogue just dialed the perfect combination of roasted coffee, toasted nuts and earthy, bitter hops. Flavors get even better with some warmth... I suggest letting this warm up at least half an hour out of the fridge before opening it. Medium-full body is well matched. It has a slick, mouth coating finish that keeps the flavors lingering on the good long finish.

Just about the only thing this excellent porter has going against it is it's pretty high price point. I wish Rogue was just a bit more affordable. It's hard for me to justify $11 a sixpack when I can often find Black Butte Porter for $7. It might be a notch better, but not usually worth the price different, which factors into my drinkability score.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Pitch black with a thick tannish colored head. Great lacing down the glass.

S: Chocolate, coffee and roasted malt with a little bit of a hop presence.

T: A nice sweet roasted malt and coffee flavor up front. As the beer passes over the tongue, the grassy hop flavor and bitterness comes through to balance out the sweetness of the malts. The finish is excellent as the chocolate flavors emerge and last quite a while.

M: Good feel too it. Not overly thin like some other porters.

D: Very tasty and well crafted beer. It has a light feel too it with full flavor. This is a very drinkable beer.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours black with a reddish hue, thick coffee colored head, and nice lacing. Roasted aroma with hints of dark (bittersweet) chocolate and coffee. Could be fuller bodied, a little less on the tounge then expected. Different flavors hint you on the first sip, roasted malt, coffee, dark chocolate, hop citrusness. Finishes dry with some hop bitterness and a nice aftertaste. Another quality brew from the boys and Rogue!

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into my pint glass. Thick frothy head and a nice dark brown color. Lacing is great.

I could smell that signature Rogue aroma as I was pouring the beer. Nice chocolate and caramel notes come out. I am liking this mocha porter so far and I haven't even tasted it yet.

Taste is sweet and the malting is thick. Nice chocolate and caramel malts balanced by a chocolate flavor. Hops provide a compliment to cut the sweetness. I taste a little undertone of tofee.

Mouthfeel has a slight creaminess and a moderate carbonation. Finishes a little dry. I would like a tiny bit less carbonation to bring out the creamienss more.

I often get confused as to what beer I'm having if I am doing a blind tasting, but somehow rogue has such a unique signature on its beers that I can always recognize it as a rogue beer. I wish they sold this beer in lubbock, but I doubt they ever will because the rogue stock we do have is old and never gets rotated. I would buy the shit of it but I know it will be horrible.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

A- Pours with a small head that sticks around for a while. The color is just this side of midnight, only showing a touch of brown on the top and impenetrable to light.

S- Smell is weaker than the taste (not really unexpected so I guess I mean it's weaker than I wish it was). Cocoa powder, raisins, and chocolate covered espresso beans form the primary scents

T- The cocoa and raisins are joined by a stronger coffee taste. Very faint hops which blends really well into the bitterness of the malt. Aftertaste is bitter, like I need some sugar in my coffee. But altogether a very comple taste.

M- Pretty smooth, but not at all heavy.

D- The strong aftertaste limits the drinkability of this beer a bit in my opinion, though the complexity of the flavor overcomes this for the most part.

Mocha Porter from Rogue Ales