Chipotle Ale

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Chipotle AleChipotle Ale
Notes: Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU
Reviews: 717 | Ratings: 1,477 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

4.52/5  rDev +24.9%

I hate to say so, but I am NOT a fan of the current approved pic! I have gone through a LOT to set up my own home photography studio just to support this site & seeing a blurry photo just torques me. Oh well. I began clearing out my Rogue backlog a few days ago on a whim & this is another in that series, I am closing in on the Voodoo Donut series & than I will be out. I don't know whether to be elated or saddened by this.

From the Bottle: "Dare*Risk*Dream"; "Ale Brewed with Rogue Farms Chipotle Peppers"; "Rogue Farms[:] This Rogue was brewed using ingredients grown on Rogue Farms in Oregon. From ground to glass, we're proud to say it's a true taste of Rogue terroir. To learn more about Rogue Farms and the Grow Your Own Revolution, visit us online at Rogue.com"; "Dedicated to Farmers & Fermenters"; "Chipotle Ale is delicately spiced with smoked jalapeno peppers we grow ourselves on our farm. The jalapenos aren't harvested until they're fully ripe and bright red in color, giving them more time to develop their flavors of spice and heat."; "Brewed Using 9 Ingredients: Rogue Farms Dare (tm), Risk (tm), Dare R-3 (tm) & 2-Row Malts; Rogue Farms Liberty & Alluvial Hops; Rogue Farms Chipotle Peppers; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast."; "No Chemicals, Additives or Preservatives[,] Oxygen Fixing Caps"; "[Pairs with:] Beef, Campfires"; "13° Plato*40 IBU*82 AA*18° L".

I was growing anxious to Pop! the oxygen fixing cap & get started, so I suspended my transcription for the moment. Upon its being opened, I got some mild foaming through the neck, so I started my C-Line pour rather quickly. It worked out well, foaming up in the glass to form two-plus fingers of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with very good retention, leaving great lacing in its wake. Color was a beautiful Amber to Deep-Amber/Light-Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with NE-quality clarity. As to the nose … Once upon a time, from 1987 to 1989, I was a cop & one of the first things that we were issued was pepper spray. First though, we got a dousing of that s**t because, as with any weapon, it was felt that you should be its recipient before you use it on someone else. Fair dinkum. This filled my kitchen air with a peppery mist that made my eyes water & caused a sneezing bout that took a few minutes to subside. Chile Beer? No doubt! Leaning in, it had a pronounced smokiness with slight chocolate undertones to go along with the peppery spiciness. Phew! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was warm, not terribly hot, with a great earthy, smoky pepperiness. It was about my speed as I am not much of a Chile Beer person, having had some cause my eyes to roll back in my head. It is my brother who really digs spices & has been known to ingest some really wicked s**t without blinking an eye. 8=O Finish was dry as any beer incorporating spices should be expected to be like. Phew! For me, it was more of a novelty than something of which I would want a steady diet. YMMV.

Oct 06, 2019
kty47 from Massachusetts

3.81/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This one works for me. The spice level is subtle and adds to the beer overall. It's not a distraction. Pairs well with spicy food. Not for everyone clearly.

Mar 12, 2019
Snowcrash000 from Germany

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a slightly hazy, deep mahogany coloration with an amber hue and a medium, foamy head. Smells of bready malt and smoke, with just a hint of the chipotle peppers as well. Taste is foremost quite smokey, almost making this seem like a Rauchbier. It also has the typical malt profile of a Rauchbier, with dark, bready, but also slightly sweet caramel malts at the forefront. Not a lot of hop presence, but some light earthy/grassy notes are there as well. The chili note is quite well-balanced, with a good spiciness that isn't burning your tongue off. Finishes bittersweet, with a pleasant chili note lingering on the tongue for quite a while. Smooth mouthfeel with a medium body and carbonation.

This is a really nice Rauch/chile style hybrid with a good balance of flavours. Actually tastes a bit like a Schlenkerla with added chipotle.

Aug 19, 2018
q33jeff from New Jersey

3.4/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

10/12/2013

Bottle to pint glass.

Appearance is brown hazy, touch of orange. aroma is a touch spicy and smokey, but the chipotle is not immediately apparent. flavor is a sweet malt, some peppery notes. Dry aftertaste. Not bad, but I was expecting a bit more.

Apr 21, 2018
Nass from Florida

4.18/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Ridiculous tasting beer with just enough Chipotle pepper sting, it's very malty as well & it has that signature Rogue taste going on which is not bad thing in my opinion. A-

Apr 02, 2018
8444dodgers01 from Idaho

4.27/5  rDev +18%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy appearance. Amber color. Thin head that receeds into a thin collar. Aroma is bready, jalapeno, floral and orange. The spice hits the taste buds in the beginning and finishes with a smokey sweetness. There is some maltyness in the flavor but not bad. Gives you a little bit of a dry mouthfeel. I love peppers in my beer. Not as spicey as i would like it but it the spiciness does blend well with the rest of the beer.

Oct 01, 2017
Lone_Freighter from Vermont

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

It pours a light amber and gives the same color body. A really nice looking foamy lumpy white one inch head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some spotty lacing is left. The smell has the jalapeno peppers powerfully up front, malts only come in after a half an hour of warming up. The taste is the same adding a very nice dry smokey aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added. A nice "hot" feel rushes over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting. Overall, this is very good for me and very good for its style. Also, goes spectacular in beer bread, if you like a "spicier version" of the bread.

Jun 25, 2017
LifesAnesthesia from Virginia

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

L - dark amber with a light tan head. Leaves behind some lacing - but not much.
S - bready malt with chipotle/spice and smoke on the nose. Earthy. Not too strong though
T - Bready, malt (there's a very solid ale backbone to this one) with a very nice chipolte taste through the mid and back end. The chipotle provides a really nice smoky flavor
F - medium body with a medium about of carbonation. Smooth. The ale provides a very nice tingle on the lips, tongue, and back of the throat as it goes down due to the heat from the chipotle - the heat is not overbearing whatsoever but is very pleasant.
O - A really chile beer. It has a nice smooth ale backbone with a very robust smoky chipotle flavor that follows that leaves the mouth tingly. Very well done. That said, with the unique flavor, I'm not sure I could have multiple in one sitting but would/will absolutely be trying it again sometime soon.

May 21, 2017
Lucaskowalik from Canada

2.62/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a bomber into a small Heineken glass.
L- Dark amber with a copper hue and a frothy, thick head.
S- Mild citrus and jalapeno but not much there.
T- Smoky, slightly spicy from jalapenos, with a very unappealing burnt rubber after taste.
F- Bubbly on the tongue with a dry finish.
O- Not really my cup of tea. I feel ike this a bad example of this style.

Feb 04, 2017
GuyFawkes from Illinois

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a glass.

Murky piss color.

Nice off-white head; strong lacing.

Not much nose; hint of smoke, hint of pepper. Mild.

Thin mouthfeel.

Much smokiness in the flavor; nearly a rauch! Perhaps a hint of peppers on the back end, but this tastes like a smoked beer to me. Pretty tasty, if one dimensional.

Dec 30, 2016
mvanaskie13 from Pennsylvania

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pint glass: color is amber a little dense/opaque, head is light tan with fine bubbles, minor lacing.

Smell is definitely a blend of smoke and vegetal notes, not potent but subtle with some light malt and hop bitterness.

Taste is a nice blend of solid amber ale with moderate malt presence, with the subtle (very subtle) spiciness of the chipotles. Light vegetal flavor, not detracting and expected from chili/pepper beers. Smokiness is very nice and a complement to the vegetal notes and amber ale. The chipotle is good, but I could go for way more. The smokiness probably the more notable flavor, a unique way to combine beer styles.

Mouthfeel is typical of smokier beers, a dry, sharper finish on the tongue but its not overpowering or detracting.

Overall, unique beer, interesting flavors but I could go for more emphatic chipotle and spiciness.

Jun 03, 2016
Libeertarian from Montana

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Mostly clear, an attractive tarnished copper. Fine and sparse flecky haze throughout. Fluffy delicate tan head of moderate, almost excellent retention. Smells like a Pale Ale, definite chipotle notes as well as interesting but not unpleasant rubbery character. Smoked peppers and rubbery character quite strong in the balance, so I suspect this may not have started out as a Pale. Low tartness. Quite spicy from peppers both while tasting and lingering in aftertaste, with pleasant herbal bitterness from hops. Good, worth a try, probably won’t seek it out again unless there’s a need for strange, spicy beer. And I love chipotle. Medium-bodied, a little hard to tell what is going on due to pepper-spiciness, but seems plenty thick as compared to water, with soft but abundant suds.

Apr 02, 2016
gandres from Philippines

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

1 pint 6 fl oz/650 mL bottle poured to wine glass
Aroma(3.5): malts-cereal, yeast: earthy,
Appearance(3.75): amber, light brown, frothy, white foam, some lacing
Taste(3.25): lightly bitter, with spicy follow through that stays on roof of mouth and tongue
Palate(3.25):medium body, creamy, average carbonation, long finish,
Overall(3.75): Good beer, can be repeated but not something to look forward to
Drank: March 16, 2016

Mar 25, 2016
Troy-Hawaii from Hawaii

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bought from Marukai $6.99
Cloudy brown amber color
Smokey smell
Medium mouth feel
Low carbonation
Smokey taste with just a tinge of heat
Overall an interesting beer to try once. Very subtle chipotle taste. Was expecting more heat.

Feb 06, 2016
scottbrew4u from Pennsylvania

4.16/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured into a goblet a clear, amber color with frothy tan head that stood up for a while. The smell was a fresh hit of light roasted malt, floral and piney hops, and a smokey peppery heat that was more then I expected. Taste follows aroma closely and the spicey chipotle heat does not so much sting the tongue but heat up the throat on the way down. I enjoyed sharing this beer at dinner with roasted pork. It paired well and really complemented the food!

Jan 06, 2016
Mlkluther from Canada

3.15/5  rDev -13%

As usual for the pepper beers I find this to be a one note beer that is uninteresting. A shared bottle between friends was more than enough. I guess I'm just not a fan of pepper beers.

Dec 16, 2015
Cnote_crafty_1 from Pennsylvania

Rogue Farms Chipotle 5.4% ABV and 40 IBU's
I am a big spice head and I have been meaning to try another chipotle beer, so when I saw this at a local market I had to grab it in the 1 pint and 6 ounce bottle. I drank this one in a curvy tulip glass to hopefully catch more aromas.
Appearance: It looked red with less light, but with more light it is a dark, hazy sunburst orange. It is pretty fruity looking for a pepper beer.
Nose: It hits you with spice, chipotle peppers, tomato and hops.
Tongue: Maybe it is because of the reddish hue, or the sweetness of the chipotle peppers, but I get a tomato flavor there along with the spices. At first I was slightly turned off by it because it reminded me of a spicey V8. It is very different and I have never had anything like it. It has a hoppy bite to it along with the spice kick. What I like is that the chipotle and vegetable flavor of the beer is present throughout the entire sip. Some spice beers taste like a regular beer and only hit you with spice at the end. Here the peppers hits you at the beginning and the hops add to the kick at the end. They really linger well together. Sometimes I couldn't tell if it was the hops, or the spice that was giving me the kick on the aftertaste. The spice and hops stays on your tongue in between sips endlessly. It is smooth with a dry finish.
Overall: Rogue Farms Chipotle Ale is a genuinely original spice beer. If you are looking for something very different that blends all of it's elements well than this is a go to ale. The hop level is very present, but not over powering like an IPA's. I would say it is like an APA in that regard. I am not a hop head and usually go for beers with low IBU's, but I really liked the hops here. It has alot of flavor for a beer so low on the ABV scale. It does not taste weak by any means. Rogue doesn't usually disapoint and they came through on this one. Cheers, enjoy this one with some barbecue ribs and pepper on!

Nov 15, 2015
SitkaSteve from Idaho

4.09/5  rDev +13%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy muddy brown color with a thin white head. Lacing spider webs and slides into the beer.
The smell, well, whaddaya think is there, obviously chipotle heat up front. Nice and peppery. Light breadiness here and there.
The taste was spicy initially and then takes in a sly little bit of bready sweetness to make an effort to balance. Nice spicy aftertaste with a dry finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with a crisp sweet to spicy feel hitting my tongue harshly.
Overall, I get it, or I think I do, I mean, it's a chile beer by style, so why are we picking on the fact that its too spicy? "Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, son." I'd have this again and actually have heard that it goes extremely well in beer bread.

Nov 01, 2015
ClavisAurea from New York

3.44/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Weird. This is more of a savory beer. The roasted and smoked chipotle came through and mixed well with a base beer than didn't seem to have any residual sweetness. Nice pairing with texmex food.

Sep 05, 2015
BeerWithMike from Nebraska

4.27/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sampled on Saturday night 8/22/15. Found this single 22 ounce (650ml) bottle with a painted-on label in the discount bin (shopping cart) over at the Hy-Vee in Council Bluffs, Iowa for just $3.00 last Thursday. Usually seen this for around $7.95 or so. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a .5L handled-glass stein. Contains 5.4% alcohol (ABV).

Brew pours a darker amber in color with a good almost 2-finger foamy/creamy off-white head. Some light sheets of lacing is seen when sipped. Aroma is of malt with a hint of spice and peppers. Going to say the taste pretty much follows the nose for this one. Light hint of smoked jalapeno peppers. Perfect balance of flavors and is NOT a hot spicy ale unlike many others. Really easy to drink and goes down easy. No harsh or bitter aftertaste at all. Medium-bodied with perfect carbonation. Overall, really a great tasty brew that is worth a try!

Aug 24, 2015
TheSixthRing from California

3.74/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours lightly hazy and copper in color with an off-white, half finger head that dies rather quickly, leaving a mostly barren surface with a razor thin ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell - Rather smoky aroma with just a trace of peppery heat.

Taste - Smoky pepper flavor upfront and throughout. A malty undertone of bread and faint, buttery diacetyl notes. Hops become more noticeable as the beer warms, adding a light floral character to the experience. Heat from the peppers creep in mid-taste and strengthen in the finish, leaving a nice, light burning sensation on the tongue and lips, but it's nothing that's too high on the scoville scale.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body with moderate carbonation. Slick mouthfeel before leaving a crisp, dry finish and a modest burning sensation.

Overall - While similar, this is much better than the old Rogue Chiptole ale which, to me (and I'm going back 7-8 years in memory), had a more medicinal undertone. This one comes across as more natural, and while nothing spectacular, it delivers exactly what it promises on the label.

Jul 24, 2015
headlessparrot from Canada

2.88/5  rDev -20.4%

Have to admit that I just don't *get* this one. It's interesting, but there's no way in which I would describe it as "world-class". And my scepticism goes well beyond my distaste for Rogue as a company, and it's not that I don't like spice (I *love* it). It may very well be an acquired taste--I get it, I love heavily peated scotch--but until I've acquired that taste, this just strikes me as gritty, earthy, smoky, and unpleasant.

Jul 05, 2015
doktorhops from Australia

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

What a tasty treat - Doc’s first Chilli Beer review! And it’s Rogue Chipotle Ale! And I need one more thing to exclaim to make it 3 in a row - BEER! Beer indeed, that nectar of Ninkasi, that provider of awesome feelings (i.e. tipsy-drunk) and lubricant of society, we hail you - Ave! *awkward pause* So yeah, this isn’t actually the first Chilli Beer I’ve had (I’ve had maybe 3-4 of this style before) and I do have a pretty high tolerance for chillies - had a ghost chilli in my curry the other week - so I might enjoy this muchly [not really a word], oh yes. Side note: Today we’ll also find out if Doc can complete an entire Chilli Beer review without saying “¡Ay, caramba!”.

Poured from a 650ml bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: Presents an alluring cloudy deep amber body with a tight 1 cm khaki head that slowly dies down to a light lace covering... tasty as bro! 9/10.

S: Upfront a hickory smoked chilli is complemented by touches of sweet caramel and a hint of milk chocolate - very nice but the smokiness overpowers the other characters, as smoke has a tendency to do, otherwise this is quite an appetizing aroma. 8/10.

T: First off: Chipotle = yum! Rogue has crafted an intriguing and complex Chilli Beer here that only hints at the heat of a real jalapeño, with notes of; Hickory smoke, jalapeño, caramel, pepper and earthy hops. Finish is slightly bitter and the hops almost go unnoticed in the melee of flavour types (sweet/spice/umami/bitter). There is an odd effect of the mouth drying out in the aftertaste... not sure what that is but it doesn’t detract any points for me. 8/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a light but dense carbonation, alright. 7/10.

D: OK for me being a bit of a fresh-chilli-in-my-Vindaloo* fanatic the spiciness of this brew is definitely lacking - I mean your customer base for this beer are people who can handle a bit of spice so really Rogue could have amped up the chilli a bit more. Other than that it’s simply another decent Rogue beer - goes down well. I like it. Sure as hell beats their Voodoo Doughnut Pretzel, Raspberry & Chocolate Ale which was surprisingly boring. Oh yeah, ¡Ay, caramba! [Dammit Doc!] 7/10.

Food match: It’s in the beers name - black bean and rice burrito with chipotle sauce.

*Yes, I am insane.

May 04, 2015
hophugger from Virginia

3.3/5  rDev -8.8%

Didn't know what to expect. Even after drinking, not sure if it was what I was expecting !!, lol, .Pours a mostly clear caramel-gold color with minimal head and hardly any lacing to speak of. Aroma is pretty basic with touches of caramel malt and some hops. Don't really catch any of the chipotle pepper on the nose. Flavor is nice. A decent blend of hops and malt with a slight peppery finish. The chipotle pepper is nowhere near what I expected or what I wanted, considering the name. The pepper is, however, very subtle and would not scare anyone away that was afraid of a lot of heat. Overall, feels good on the palate, but I was hoping for more heat. The kick I wanted is missing !!

Feb 28, 2015
Bunman3 from Canada

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Tasty stuff! The pour is good - orange colour,two fingers of foamy head, a bit murky. There is a definite smoky chipotle nose - just enough to let you know what you are getting into. The flavour is very pleasant, a solid caramel malt base with just enough smoke and pepper heat. It is far from overpowering and in my books, very well done. I don't drink many beers like this, but I could certainly acquire a taste for them!

Feb 12, 2015