Chipotle Ale

Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Chipotle AleChipotle Ale
Notes: Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Mar 01, 2013
travpard from New York

2.36/5  rDev -34.8%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

Oct 26, 2007
Wetpaperbag from Washington

A- Nice hazy red coper colored beer. Finger width of light frothy foam.

S- The smell of the smoked chipotle chiles is very much alive and well. It smells good with the bread smell I'm also getting.

T- Tastes like more like a smoked paprika with a tiny touch of spice added in. This will go well with my hot wings for the night.

M- I was hoping for more spice to kick the tongues ass. I've heard a lot of people say it is too spicy for them to drink. I must have got the wimpafyed version.

D- Easy to drink, the smoked flavor is good and unique compared to other smoked beers.

Aug 07, 2008
TheHoppiest from Ohio

3.62/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass at the Melt in Lakewood. Pours a beautiful golden amber color with a thin white head.

Has a smoky smell, with an underlying maltiness.

Taste up front is akin to a typical lager; malty, slightly hoppy. Give it a minute, thought, for the burn to start in. First, it gets the back of the tongue, then starts in down the throat. Continued drinking, naturally, increases the burn.

Mouthfeel is thin, and burning!

Drinkable is not a word I'd use with this beer. If you like spiciness, get a burrito or snack on a jalapeno. I don't get why it should taste good in a beer. That said, Rogue seems to have done a good job on this one. If I were inclined to have another spicy beer, I'd have this one again.

Sep 05, 2010

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Aug 30, 2013
Litterbean from New York

3.55/5  rDev -1.9%

A really weird beer, but something strangely enjoyable. Pours a light brownish orange with no real head. A slight bit of pepper in the nose, but not a whole lot else going on. The taste is very satisfying, with a malty sweetness up front but a WHOLE lot of peppery spiciness in the back of the tongue. It really hits the roof of your mouth, this dry, smoky hotness. A real refreshing and smooth beer, but with a limited drinkability.

Jun 17, 2005
TheStig from Virginia

3.42/5  rDev -5.5%

This is the second "pepper beer" I've had, the first being Dogfish Head's Theobroma. Comparing these two is somewhat appropriate, since they do feature pepper, but Theobroma also features chocolate and cocoa nibs, which Chipotle Ale does not.

A:
A fine deep copper color, with a healthy three-finger head that didn't want to dissipate. Lacing was similarly hearty.

S:
Pepper, of course, but balanced well with a sweet body that almost reminds me of creme brulee. Think of a fresh, sweet smelling beer and overlay a pepper scent-- nothing too arresting, but notable.

T:
Dry and rather bitter, but with a dense, woody taste that reminded me of a wood grill (!) Taste and smell blend here, as the full smell only become apparent as it's wafting up through the back of your mouth. This would pair well with some carne asada.The pepper hits you when you swallow, so... well.. if that's your thing, you'll like it. I don't like my pepper to be so... delayed? It's not like drinking tabasco sauce, but it's hot. I happen to like spicy food, so this didn't bother me much, but if you're sensitive to pepper, you should steer clear.

M:
First sip and it's like any other beer, but subsequent drinks will increase the heat. Finishing off this 22oz bottle is going to require some help.

D:
Not so much. If you're accustomed to drinking something to numb the burn of hot pepper, this beer will throw you for a loop. Pair it with some food that's not very spicy to balance things out.

Sep 09, 2010
scottfrie from California

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

22oz bottle split with friends. Poured into Delirium Tremens glass.

A: Pours a dark slightly hazy amber with a moderately thick off-white head that faded into a nice thick film that left a lot of clinging lace down the glass.
S: This smells awesome. Spicy notes of chili peppers, roasted peppers, and...chipotle peppers! This really does have that great earthy smell of smoky jalapeƱos.
T: Just like the nose this has a big smoky spicy taste of dried jalapeƱos and salsa. Very unique and refreshing. The finish has a bit of heat to it too from the peppers which leaves a light burning sensation in the aftertaste.
M: If the body was any thicker than medium the flavors of this beer wouldn't work as well. Carbonation is low and the mouthfeel is a touch sticky.
D: Very interesting beer. Not something I would drink every day, but better than I expected especially seeing as how this beer could be pretty hit or miss. It's a hit in my book and should be tried if you're a fan of spicy foods.

Oct 06, 2010
kelvarnsen from Canada (ON)

Nov 30, 2011
Poupae from Thailand

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Apr 16, 2013
BDTyre from Canada (BC)

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

At first, I wasn't too impressed with this, but the more I drink it the more I like it.

Typical red ale/amber ale appearance of a dark amber to copper colour. Head is vigorous and takes sometime to settle down. It leaves a decent layer and sticks to the side of the glass in clumps.

At first I thought this smelt like a generic albeit well-done pale ale: a good blend of malts and hops. But the more I poured, the more the beer warmed and the more nose I got, I could smell the heat of the chipotle. Sweet, smokey and spicey. No hops at all: the smoked chipotle overwhelm them, and even the malts are subdued by the pepper.

Initial tastes were of malts, but there is a slow creeping smoky spice flavour. I can definitely taste the peppers. As I swallow, there is a definite pepper taste, and the aftertaste leaves a lingering, faint burning in the back of my throat. Not unpleasant by any means, but rather, it is quite fitting.

This feels a bit thick on the tongue for the taste. I think this could benefit from a bit more carbonation, considering the spicy aftertaste. This is not something I would try to drink more than one of...the combination of flavours make this a potent brew.

Jun 21, 2007

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Sep 01, 2013
eclaycamp from Kansas

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

I love peppers. I love beer. So why not try them together? My experience with spiced or pepper beers has largely been limited to the famous - or infamous - Cave Creek Chili Beer. I've always had a soft spot for that beer, though it's admittedly gross now that I've moved on to bigger and badder beers. Pours a red bordering on copper. Nice balooning head with some pretty impressive amount of lacing. Moderate carbonation levels. Aroma is all smokey chipotle pepper and not much else. If you're not a fan of the chipotle favor it'll be pretty overwhelming. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied, with low carbonation. Flavor is smoked chili powder mixed into a red ale. Medium caramel sweetness in the finish with some temperate pepper. This beer would go great with barbecue, like burnt ends or spare ribs. Standing alone it's merely an interesting execution on the pepper beer style, heads and shoulders above Cave Creek but lacking something. Pair something with it - I pulled out some local smoked pepper jack cheese - and it really shines.

Aug 29, 2010
adamette from Ohio

3.72/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from the 650 ML bottle that I purchased along with 5 other Rogue beers within the past month. Poured into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass. From message written on the side of the bottle: Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with ale. This ale is deep amber in color with a rich malty aroma, and delicately spiced with smoked Jalapeno Peppers to give it that extra bite!

A Nice medium brown/amber body under a very light brown creamy, fluffy one inch head after a vigorous pour. Sediment floating about . 4.0

S There is a nice, smoky smoked ham smell in addition to a nice preview of the spice brought on undoubtedly by the peppers. I really like this smell. It is interesting, inviting. 4.5

T I am not sure about this beer. There is an odd rauchbier quality of the smoked aspect to it and the peppers do not come through for me until the aftertaste. The rauchbier quality is not the dynamic, interesting quality of one of the Acht Schlelanka quality but a rather flat quality that I do not like too much. The peppers, which come in at about the aftertaste, are kind of an after thought, only present at the end. Contrast this with DHF Theoromba whose chili tastes are throughout and are much more present. This beer's taste was hard for me to rate but here goes: 3.5

M Minimally smooth feel but mostly this is moderate. There is a bit of bite with the pepper taste in the aftertaste but really it is moderate. I like the feel though. 4.0

D Only fair for me. The odd flatness and rauchbier qualities do not jive well with the pepper aftertaste. I will finish the 22 ounces but will most likely not seek this one out again. 3.0

Nov 26, 2009
brystmar from Texas

Dec 30, 2011
RichH55 from Illinois

Mar 26, 2012
aquaderek from California

3.82/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass. The appearance is brownish orange with not much more than a lacing of head. The nose has nice smokiness and some spicy zip; you can really smell the chipotle. The taste mimics the nose in that smokiness comes in first followed by a nice spicy kick. The mouthfeel is slightly viscous and it has a dry finish. I paired the beer with a steak burrito and it paired nicely, the smokiness of the beer and the slight spice complemented the burrito.

May 16, 2008
fitzy84 from Massachusetts

4.77/5  rDev +31.8%

Oh my god. Had this in the 22 ounce bottle. Murky amber colors with a thin, frosty head was the general appearance. The aromas were fascinating: actual spices like light jalapenos and peppers. Incredible smells! The taste creates a lingering, mild spice that is infectious. Hops mixed with peppers and hot sauce create an eclectic mix that is just great. Good solid body helps the flavors really come out. My first Chile Beer was great; I cannot wait to have more!

May 21, 2008
afausser from Montana

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA.

Appearance: Pours a reddish mahogany, with a small amount of persistent head and plenty of lacing.

Smell: Faint, in general, with hints of smoke and spice, as well as some sweet malty notes.

Taste: I ate nachos right before having this beer, and I'm now regretting it--tastes slightly hot, VERY peppery. The jalepeno taste is not particularly overpowering, but was a little too much at that point for me.

Mouthfeel: Interesting. Very light and smooth, but ends with a kick with the peppers, which are primarily present as an aftertaste. The lower level of carbonation works really well to compliment the spices--I have a feeling that much more would have just made it far too fizzy.

Drinkability: Not too great for this one. To be fair, I was a little tired of the spicy taste already, but I don't think it would be easy to drink regardless. It's not a bad beer--in fact, it's a pretty interesting one--but it's more of a novelty than anything I think I'd actively seek out again. I just feel like something's missing...

Nov 30, 2009