Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

22 oz bottle pours a cloudy bright amber color with a small creamy off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass. Smoke aroma, hot peppers followed by smoke and wood flavors, I can feel the heat after the first sip. Medium bodied with a creamy smooth mouthfeel, has a lasting spicy pepper finish.

3.24/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance is a golden orange/red - A beautiful amber - with a frothy tan head that hangs around, good lacing.

The nose is dominated by grass with some spice in the background. After a few sniffs the spice comes across as chipotle - heat and smoke.

The smokey spice of the chipotle hits in the back of the mouth, with a slight lingering cinnamon fire candy sweetness up front. This is real big on flavor, but all the flavor doesn't quite meld as well as it could. A very interesting beer to try and worth the experience, but not one I'm going back for.

3.23/5  rDev -10%

22 oz poured into pint glass

Appearance:Nice copper color, light carbonation, thin head that didn't stay long.

Smell: Malty and smoky. You can definitely smell chipotle.

Taste: To me it has that smoked stout flavor. Like with a Beamish. The chipotle flavor may be a bit strong. It's not spicy.

Mouthfeel: It feels light and a little undercarbonated.

Drinkability: I think it's a good beer. This is my first chili beer. It's very easy to drink, and an interesting combination. Try one.

3.23/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - 3.5/5
Deep orange-brown, about one finger of light tan head. Quite clear. Carbonation is sparse.

Smell - 3.5/5
Sweet dark sugary malts, hints of chile peppers. A little alcohol aroma as well. The smell is kind of strange I think.

Taste - 3/5
Sip starts with a slightly watery, slightly sweet light malt flavor, transitions into a very earthy, slightly spicy (chile peppers) flavor. The end of the sip has some light alcohol flavor. I don't really like the earthiness of this beer. It makes the beer taste kinda like dirt. Or at least it brings to mind mental images of soil. The taste is not terrible, but this beer is not that great, and perhaps a little strange.

Mouthfeel - 3.25/5
Medium bodied. Carbonation is light. In between crisp and creamy. Overall fairly smooth.

Overall - 3.25/5
This beer was mediochre at best. It was way too earthy and was fairly flavorless, aside from a little bit of chile pepper spiciness. Definitely would not recommend this beer.

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It looks oddly caramel. Not that I expected a jalepeno-green from a chipotle beer, but it looks more like what I'd expect from a Tecate or something. The head is different--very small, almost interconnected bubbles a millimeter in depth with lasting power. As the beer sits, so does the head. Though I'm unsure what exactly I expected, it's not it; its appearance, however, has piqued my curiousity.

Oh, I can smell the pepper--dried jalepenos. It has an earthen smokiness as well. It's honestly unlike any beer I've ever smelled. In stark contrast to the look, it smells as it's supposed to smell. Interestingly, I smell basically no malts, no barley, no hops...nothing like that. If I weren't looking right at the beer, I think I'd tell you it was an open bag of dried jalepenos. Perhaps now the beverage has peaked my curiosity.

Wow, it's really smoky. I taste the earthen smokiness I alluded to more than I taste anything peppery. I know chipoltes are dried jalepenos, and I guess these have been dried by smoking. If I smoked cigarettes, I'd have one. I really can't distinguish smoked peppers from smoked wood chips. I think the peppers are distinctive in the smell, but they're missing from the taste. That's a little disappointing, particularly for a chile beer (as it's listed--I presume BA has a "smoked beers" category). Though I bought the beverage to go with Mexican food, I think it could just as easily accompany NC barbecue. It's a neat beer, but I wish there were more pepper to the taste. Spice is absent.

Maybe in the mouthfeel I get more of that for which I'm looking. As I allow the beverage to rest full in my mouth, I detect something of a pepper. It's certainly not spicy like eating jalepenos, but somewhere in between the chemical digestion in my mouth and the aftertaste swallow in my throat I detect the origin of its name. Still, I wish it were easier.

I realize it's a niche beer and it probably lacks favor with the masses, but I wish it brought even more chipolte. I want to taste it! It's a pleasant beer, a fairly easy-drinking one. Still (and here I go again), I wonder what I'd have if DFH did a chipolte ale. I can't help but think I'd taste the pepper in that one! Until then, I think this is a neat beverage worth trying, and I'd pick it up again to complement my comida de mexicana. O mi bbq!

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%

Clearish darker amber appearance, head settles to a skim in about 40 seconds. Laces in very fine strings on the side of the glass. Aroma is relatively subtle, smokey with a rustic rye bread maltiness, prickly and spicy. Medium mouthfeel overall, but with a mask of fullness. Pepper is certainly apparent in the flavor profile, and early -- generates heat by the third sip. Hops play in tune with the spiciness, there's an onion skin bittering in the aftertaste. Chile beers are one of the few that I rarely have a favorite in, but there is a better sense of sweet malt balance here than in many. I still have trouble finishing a whole bomber of this one, though. Intriguing aroma.

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Format: tall brown 650mL bottle, transluscent craft beer label.

Appearance: a deep orange -copper in colour with a light tan head that drops to a thick cap. Looks decent.

Aroma: definite chipotle chilli, some smoke and heavy malts. Decent.

Taste: again the chipotle chilli with those heavy malts. Really nothing special, but an okay chilli beer.

Aftertaste: a touch of chilli still and a bit dry on the finish.

Mouth feel: medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Fairly crisp.

Overall: yet again a pretty standard beer from Rogue for AU$14 for a 650mL bottle. Not worth that price, and an average chilli beer. I haven't had a great Rogue beer yet.

3.21/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours amber (darker amber, with a copperish hue), producing a generous but short lived head. Head settles quickly to a thin lace across the glass.

Smells light on the malt, ot a lot of hops aroma, with a hint of chili pepper.

Tastes like a pale ale. Light, not too malty. Finishes to a hoppy and peppery glow. The pepper is not overpronounced, but you do feel it in the aftertaste and in your belly.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's mostly balanced leaning towards the spicier side. Carbonation seemed sharper for an American pale ale; a little less CO2 might bring out the malt more. Letting this beer breathe for a bit did help on that aspect.

Overall this is pretty low on the session beer factor. It is not bad - in fact it's interesting how the chili compliments the pepper. Unfortunately two servings of pepper will put your innards on alert more than two servings of hops. This is a pretty good beer and goes well with pizza, but I'll follow it up with something else.

I tried to file a BeerSpy report; unfortunately once you pick New Hampshire you have 14 stores to chose from and there is no 'Other/Not listed'. Purchased from Wine Society in north Nashua, NH which has a small handpicked selection of beers (and no dust).

3.21/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. silk-screened bottle to a pint glass. I've had this one a couple times on-draught, but this is a first from the bottle. It's nice that Rogue introduced 12 oz. bottles in 2006, though the larger 22 oz'ers are still available also.

A: Pours a very pretty red-amber with a slight chill haze. Visible carbonation rises thoroughly through the glass to a fizzy head of large col-like bubbles. Within seconds the head is gone; only a bubbly smudge of film remains, off-centered.

S: Pouring, there was a discernable whiff of peppery heat. Where did it go? When I smell the finished pour, there's virtually no pepper aroma, only a faint malt and some dry hops. Either my nose doesn't work (possible), this beer is old (also possible) or the peppery aroma I thought I'd get from this doesn't exist. Regardless, smell was disappointing...

T: A pretty nice malty red ale or pale ale infused with some chipotle peppers. I remember the pepper spice & heat being more pronounced on-draught and again I wonder if this bottle is aged a little or if this is simply the more subdued result one gets out of the bottle. A decent flavor of malt with some crisp hops and a gentle chipotle pepper flavor that ends very smoky.

M: Moderately crisp with decent carbonation. A little lasting bitterness with some mild smokiness lingering in the finish. Light-medium body.

D: Good but not one of my favorites. A sort of novelty beer that I've had one or two excellent examples of (one by Calapooia comes to mind...). This isn't bad but isn't one I'd have very often either...worth a try...

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

Pours a clear dark amber with a small tan head that falls quick hints of lace left behind.

Aroma is caramel malt light citrus hops mingled with the chipotle peppers. More or less an average stock ale with a pepper thrown in.

Taste is the same lightly roasted malt light lingering pepper flavors mixed with some light hops. Again average tasting stock ale with a touch of pepper thats about it nothing exciting going on here.

Mouthfeel is about medium. Drinkability is average can understand wanting to try this I did but wouldn't want another. Next time they might try adding more peppers, worst Rouge I have had to date.

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%