Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,407 |  Reviews: 701

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

22 oz bottle pours a cloudy bright amber color with a small creamy off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass. Smoke aroma, hot peppers followed by smoke and wood flavors, I can feel the heat after the first sip. Medium bodied with a creamy smooth mouthfeel, has a lasting spicy pepper finish.

3.24/5  rDev -9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance is a golden orange/red - A beautiful amber - with a frothy tan head that hangs around, good lacing.

The nose is dominated by grass with some spice in the background. After a few sniffs the spice comes across as chipotle - heat and smoke.

The smokey spice of the chipotle hits in the back of the mouth, with a slight lingering cinnamon fire candy sweetness up front. This is real big on flavor, but all the flavor doesn't quite meld as well as it could. A very interesting beer to try and worth the experience, but not one I'm going back for.

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%

22 oz poured into pint glass

Appearance:Nice copper color, light carbonation, thin head that didn't stay long.

Smell: Malty and smoky. You can definitely smell chipotle.

Taste: To me it has that smoked stout flavor. Like with a Beamish. The chipotle flavor may be a bit strong. It's not spicy.

Mouthfeel: It feels light and a little undercarbonated.

Drinkability: I think it's a good beer. This is my first chili beer. It's very easy to drink, and an interesting combination. Try one.

3.23/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Appearance - 3.5/5
Deep orange-brown, about one finger of light tan head. Quite clear. Carbonation is sparse.

Smell - 3.5/5
Sweet dark sugary malts, hints of chile peppers. A little alcohol aroma as well. The smell is kind of strange I think.

Taste - 3/5
Sip starts with a slightly watery, slightly sweet light malt flavor, transitions into a very earthy, slightly spicy (chile peppers) flavor. The end of the sip has some light alcohol flavor. I don't really like the earthiness of this beer. It makes the beer taste kinda like dirt. Or at least it brings to mind mental images of soil. The taste is not terrible, but this beer is not that great, and perhaps a little strange.

Mouthfeel - 3.25/5
Medium bodied. Carbonation is light. In between crisp and creamy. Overall fairly smooth.

Overall - 3.25/5
This beer was mediochre at best. It was way too earthy and was fairly flavorless, aside from a little bit of chile pepper spiciness. Definitely would not recommend this beer.

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It looks oddly caramel. Not that I expected a jalepeno-green from a chipotle beer, but it looks more like what I'd expect from a Tecate or something. The head is different--very small, almost interconnected bubbles a millimeter in depth with lasting power. As the beer sits, so does the head. Though I'm unsure what exactly I expected, it's not it; its appearance, however, has piqued my curiousity.

Oh, I can smell the pepper--dried jalepenos. It has an earthen smokiness as well. It's honestly unlike any beer I've ever smelled. In stark contrast to the look, it smells as it's supposed to smell. Interestingly, I smell basically no malts, no barley, no hops...nothing like that. If I weren't looking right at the beer, I think I'd tell you it was an open bag of dried jalepenos. Perhaps now the beverage has peaked my curiosity.

Wow, it's really smoky. I taste the earthen smokiness I alluded to more than I taste anything peppery. I know chipoltes are dried jalepenos, and I guess these have been dried by smoking. If I smoked cigarettes, I'd have one. I really can't distinguish smoked peppers from smoked wood chips. I think the peppers are distinctive in the smell, but they're missing from the taste. That's a little disappointing, particularly for a chile beer (as it's listed--I presume BA has a "smoked beers" category). Though I bought the beverage to go with Mexican food, I think it could just as easily accompany NC barbecue. It's a neat beer, but I wish there were more pepper to the taste. Spice is absent.

Maybe in the mouthfeel I get more of that for which I'm looking. As I allow the beverage to rest full in my mouth, I detect something of a pepper. It's certainly not spicy like eating jalepenos, but somewhere in between the chemical digestion in my mouth and the aftertaste swallow in my throat I detect the origin of its name. Still, I wish it were easier.

I realize it's a niche beer and it probably lacks favor with the masses, but I wish it brought even more chipolte. I want to taste it! It's a pleasant beer, a fairly easy-drinking one. Still (and here I go again), I wonder what I'd have if DFH did a chipolte ale. I can't help but think I'd taste the pepper in that one! Until then, I think this is a neat beverage worth trying, and I'd pick it up again to complement my comida de mexicana. O mi bbq!

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%

Clearish darker amber appearance, head settles to a skim in about 40 seconds. Laces in very fine strings on the side of the glass. Aroma is relatively subtle, smokey with a rustic rye bread maltiness, prickly and spicy. Medium mouthfeel overall, but with a mask of fullness. Pepper is certainly apparent in the flavor profile, and early -- generates heat by the third sip. Hops play in tune with the spiciness, there's an onion skin bittering in the aftertaste. Chile beers are one of the few that I rarely have a favorite in, but there is a better sense of sweet malt balance here than in many. I still have trouble finishing a whole bomber of this one, though. Intriguing aroma.

3.22/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales