Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Poured a bright, clear orange with amber highlights and a foamy beige head that settled after several minutes to a sparse micro-bubbly layering. Visible carbonation was strong and steady.

S: roasted chipotle peppers and a light smoked woodiness along with some caramel malt.

T: The initial flavor starts off spicy from the roasted peppers, that was zesty and pronounced with an underlying sweet roasted maltiness. The peppery nature is certainly distinguishable providing a mild spiciness that gentle faded leaving a warming sensation deep in the stomach. There was a light smokiness but it was the spicy peppery nature and warming in the stomach that truly characterize this beer. There was traces of dried citrus while the balance of the roasted peppers and malting was good with just enough to give it a spicy kick, but not enough to totally distract from the beer nature.

M: light, slick, with a nice spicy pepperiness, spicing things up which left a warming sensation on the tongue and lips.

D: Definitely not a session beer, The hot roasted peppers brings a spicy and sauciness that was quite unique. On bomber should be plenty. A novelty beer but a very good one at that and worth a try for the adventurous beer drinker seeking out something different. Will definitely spicy up your night.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a beautiful clear copper with 1 finger of slightly thin head.

S: Slightly metallic and ferric with a prevailing smokiness; underscored by a subtle tropical fruit and hop-like sweetness.

T: A whole grain bread-like malt lays out the base for this brew. This is complemented by a tangy peppery kick. The smokiness of the chipotle peppers is definitely prominent here. It finishes with a tingly spice that's not too overpowering but still retains a strong bite.

M: The active carbonation complements the spiciness of the beer well, almost as if to preempt the aftertaste.

D: I think a couple sips of this is enough to satisfy my curiosity of the flavor, but I found myself having trouble finishing the bottle. This is definitely beer with character. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll try it again.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I was nervous about this beer. I used it to cook with once before when making Sloppy Joes. It got left on the stove and heated to hot so I never got to drink it. The Sloppy Joes that day were very spicy (maybe due to other ingredients) and other review said this beer is "hot hot hot." I am not a real big fan of *really* spicy foods so I never bought a bottle.
Tonight at the Lancaster Homebrew club someone brought a bottle and I figured I could handle a 4 oz serving. It turns out the pepper flavor is apparent but not as overwhelming as I had anticipated. It may build in the following 18 ounces, but for a small serving it was interesting.

Appearance: Orangeish amber body

Smell: Not as big as I expected but there is a bit of sweet malts fruit and of coarse spicy pepper.

Taste: Very smooth mellow malt flavor with hints of bread and then the pepper starts. There are hints of smoked malts as well. Overall it is not as “chipolte” as I feared. It is more a tangy bite and a dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp medium body beer that pulls and tugs at your cheeks.

Drinkability: I probably won’t buy this beer again. It is not the kind of thing I would want to just sit down and drink. Not a chance. It is a trophy beer in my book. One of those, “Okay, now I tried that one next” kind of things. I could see it having a place in cooking or if you really like spicy foods and wanted to really go nuts with more spicy beer. Other than that I say this one is worth trying once for the experience.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

A - It pours a somewhat drab amber hue, with a small fizzy head. It looks like an Amberbock, perhaps.

S - The smell is mostly bready and biscuity, with surprisingly small traces of the distinctive chipotle essence.

T - It tastes like a heavy Pils or a light Bavarian fest beer; mostly pale malt with a very reserved contribution from the eponymous chile. The hop contributes bitterness but no substantial flavor. This brew is less than what I was expecting, although theoretically I agree with their approach to the brewing. I just wish the flavors were dialed up a bit.

M - Thin and refreshing, good for the beer that it is.

D - Underachieving, but interesting. If the flavor were kicked up a notch or two, I'd be way more into it.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a bottle with no freshness date. The color is a reddish brown with orange high lights. There is a thin off-white head that dissipates quickly, leaving no lacing.

The aroma smells a bit spicyand somewhat smoky, a little like a taco salsa. It also smells like a typical ale until you get further down the glass. The taste is pretty hoppy and blended well with some malts. It is followed by a definite hot spiciness along with more hop bitterness. It leaves a spicy taste on the back of the tongue, just like a mild salsa. The spiciness is actually warming. This is definitely different, but, not one I could drink more than one of.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Split the bomber bottle with my dad while watching college basketball.

Appearance: Fairly clear brown and golden in color. Good head, but exhibiting poor retention, no lacing - maybe due to the oils in the peppers? Or the fact I was pouring into two glasses rather than one and poured slowly...

Smell: Vaguely "sharp" but hard to place the source of the aroma - so presumably the chiles. Some malt with a slight hint of smoke.

Taste: The chipotle winds up being a background flavor. Maybe just because I really like spicy food, I didn't really find this hot enough. Neither the heat nor the smoke that I expect from something with the name "chipotle" come through very well. There's definitely a "bite" but it doesn't come off clearly enough to be recognizable if you didn't know what you were supposed to be drinking.

Mouthfeel: Body and carbonation are fine. I didn't find the aftertaste as objectionable as some have.

Drinkability: I wouldn't have wanted any more of this. I would like to try it mixed with Rogue's chocolate stout, however, I've heard it's a good combination.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

On draft at the Public House in Portland, the Chipotle Ale is a clear, orangish amber head, with a small, quickly fading white head that left no lace.
The aroma is really muted, soft malt with a touch of cascade hops...try as I might, I can't find the pepper.
This tastes like a smooth and mellow amber ale, which it is. Nice balance between the malt and hops, a tad salty. The Chipotle isn't really evident except for on the finish, with a nice peppery tingle on the back of the throat.
It is medium bodied and a bit seltzery, bicarbonate?
The drinkability of this was surprisingly high. I've always been really skeptical of chili beers ever since first reading about them in Papizan's homebrewing book. I have to say that I am really pleasantly surprised. I didn't get chance to session with this, so I can't say if the pepper would build, but from what I had, I wanted more.

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Slightly cloudy golden orange color with a frothy, retentive white head with little lacing.
S: Light spicy and smokey aroma, unusual for a beer but what you'd hope for from this beer. Some malt background but no hops.
T: Starts off with a slightly sweet, malty taste with a spiciness of red pepper that slowly creeps and becomes strong in the finish. Also the smoke from the smell is present at the end. Medium, smooth body, with a warm finish but not from alcohol, but the pepper.
D: Not a bad beer, nice complement to a meal but something I would rarely want to drink on its own. Worth a try.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Rogue Chipotle Ale is a dark amber color with just a little haze. There is a 1/2" off-white head that falls off to a spotted cap. Little lacing.

The aroma is smoky and woody. There is kind of a rubbery smell. I get kind of a V-8 Hot and Spicy tomato juice kind of feel out of the aroma. The hops are detectable in the background.

The intitial flavor is a fairly intense smokiness. This is balanced with a light roasted taste and a good hop bite in the finish. Salty with some hint of tomato (first for a beer description for me!). The spiciness doesn't appear until long after the liquid is swallowed. A nice warm feeling from the peppers coats the mouth.

This beer struck me as having a somewhat oily, medium-bodied mouthfeel. Good carbonation. The beer was semi-low on the drinkability scale for me only because this beer is not my bag. A 12oz. sample would have sufficed for me. Very unique and worth a try.

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

This was a pretty good-looking beer, cloudy amber with a medium- sized head. Aroma was Ale-like, with some pepper spiciness. I honestly cannot tell whether it was chipotle or some other pepper. Taste was hoppy with some warming spiciness. Fairly thin mouthfeel. I think this is a beer one would try as a curiosity.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: It pours a hazy red color. Head is about a finger and a half. Retention was rather short and very light lacing remained.

Smell: Very malty sweet smell. Mostly smells of caramel malts. There's a hint of some citrus in there. I'm not really picking up any spiciness on the nose.

Taste: It's definitely got a caramel, malty sweet taste. It is more spicy than the smell would suggest. It's not overly spicy, but it does remain and develop into a spicy aftertaste. No real hop bitterness here. Slight citrus flavors are noticeable.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light bodied and, as most Rogue beers, extremely well carbonated. Very drinkable. If nothing else was around, I could probably session this if I had to. But, Rogue makes more than a few better session beers than this. Overall, it's pretty good. Better than I was expecting. Check it out.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is amber in color and has a small head.
S: The aroma is very faint, but there are some hints of hops, malt, smoke and peppers in the nose.
T: Some flavors of chipotle peppers are detectable in the taste, which is somewhat bitter. The overall taste isn't very spicy, probably because they are balanced by the underlying malt.
M: It feels medium bodied and crisp on the palate with a medium amount of carbonation.
D: Nothing really stood about this beer, although I might try it again just because this is a unique style. I think this beer would work better paired with food than drinking it by itself.

07/22/05- On tap at the Rogue Ale House in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- From the tap into two 4oz sampler glasses.

Appearance- Light amber pour, very slight head and light lacing. Not sure how a chipotle ale is supposed to look.

Smell- Smoky and spicy.

Taste- A bit of smoke taste followed by a fairly strong pepper aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, spicy aftertaste and warming sensation.

Drinkability- The only time I would have this again is with maybe with some mexican food. This would probably be an excellent pairing. Not my kinda style, but blows away Crazy Ed's by about a million-fold.

3.37/5  rDev -6.1%

Pour: Bomber into a a Pizza Port pint glass. Orangey amber color. Displays a decent ecru head but it's on the fizzy side. No lacing.

Nose: Smokey cured meat aroma, similar to the Schlenkerla rauchbiers.

Mouth: The base beer seems pretty boring, just some sweetish grainy malt flavor, but the chiles make it interesting. I like spicy food and all, but I've never had an interest in melting my face with capsaicin. Fortunately this beer isn't all that hot really. It gives a nice, mild, lingering burn in the back of the mouth but not much more. It doesn't take a long time to acclimate to. There's also a little bit of pepper flavor in in addition to the spiciness, both black and chipotle. Medium-thin body, good carbonation level.

Overall it accomplishes what it set out to do perfectly, but it just isn't particularly appealing or complex. It's a great novelty, but not a great beer.

3.37/5  rDev -6.1%

A: Purs a clear copper color with clingy carbonation and a bubbly head. No lacing.

S: No chile smell, just a slight vegetal aroma

T: Somewhat malty with a chipotle flavor that is subtle at first and slightly intensifies. Overall, the chile taste is a bit subdued (a good thing I think). Not much else going on.

M: Medium to light in body with moderate carbonation. After several sips, I'm starting to feel a bit of heat on my lips from the peppers. An unusual sensation for beer drinking, but not unpleasant.

D: A pretty decent beer, but not one I'm thrilled with. Definitely an unusual experience and worth trrying, but I can't see myself drinking this on a regular basis, or even an occassional basis.

3.37/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Picked this up at Top Hops in New York recently, having never had this before. I liked the idea of this but as others alluded to on here, this turned out to be a lot less spicy than I thought as this beer reminded me of a smoked offering more than anything else. If I had some sausage or similar meat to pair this with, it could have been great to along with that. Instead, this was a letdown and something that was filling and relatively easygoing, more than anything else.

Dark pour to this with a moderate head and a fair amount of carbonation. I was expecting this to be more potent in the nose and the taste but that wasn't the case here as the smoke and meat notes nearly overtook everything else. The chili felt like a weak jalapeno and not the kind that would make me reach for a glass of water. Mouthfeel was fairly thick but not cloying and the aftertaste had a hint of chocolate-chili to lend a heavy feel to the back of this beer.

Yeah, this was light on alcohol but that's not what you're going to notice about this beer should you be fortunate enough to finish this off. My friend couldn't do that with his allotment so I ended up drinking his share as well as what was left in the bottle. While not a drain pour, this is not a beer for most people and should only be tried to satisfy a curiosity. Probably something I wouldn't try again but nevertheless glad that I had once, and one of the few beers that cries out for a meal to go along with it. Clearly not one of Rogue's better offerings.

22 oz bomber.

Hazy rust color, with a small tan head covering the top. Aroma is very smoky up-front, with some light citrus also..interesting.
Rich taste is surprisingly smoky with the addition of the peppery spiciness of the chipotle...with some of their signature Pacman yeast tagged on. The maltiness ties this all together pretty well. I'd have to say it's the best "chile beer" i've tried to date by default...all of the others were pretty much crap.

Quite different, I must say...but I don't try a lot of "hot pepper" beers, so that's probably to be expected. An interesting brew that would be a great, unique one to pair with Mexican food.

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours light reddish amber. The head is small, but sticks around nicely. You can see a lot of effervescence going on in the body of the beer.

After reading the description and some reviews, and having had chili beers before, I was expecting a lot more heat from the nose. There's hardly any peppers, but some nice earthy smells. Mainly it just smells like generic "beer".

Not as much heat as I expected. This is a very earthy beer. The chipotle peppers come through a little stronger on the swallow, accompanied by some hops. It has a pleasant smoky flavor. The heat isn't overpowering, but it's present. Overall, there's a lot more ale than chipotle. I could see it pairing nicely with a wide variety of foods.

The biggest problem I found with it was excessive carbonation. I expect a little more complexity from Rogue, but this beer didn't deliver.

It drinks fairly easily, but I could see the heat at the end slowing some people down.

One last thing; do NOT drink this beer if you have chapped lips, cold sores, or any raw spots in your mouth. That's when the peppers will get you!

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%

I really enjoyed this beer although I will admit I was hoping for more heat. Poured into a pint glass I immediately noticed the smoked profile of the peppers. This also played alot into the silky mouthfeel as the beer warmed. This is my first review so please bear with me. Cheers.

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

Well I was a little amazed that someone would actually combine hot peppers and beer but i was very happy with the outcome. Poured a deep amber color with the smell of a little pepper. Didnt taste so much like pepper but more like a smokey bbq. Almost as if you were drinking the smoke off of a grill is the only way i can compare it. Definetly worth a try once.

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.34/5  rDev -7%

Appears a semi-transparent, dark copper with a fluffy, light tan head that quickly fades into a mild cap. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of spicy hot pepper up front with a mild smokiness and a sugary, bready backbone that keeps this beer interesting.
Taste is of yeasty bread, hoppy spiciness, and citrus, along with a touch of a smokey, peppery heat flavor.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation that makes the sugary sweet malt come through the heat barrier.

3.34/5  rDev -7%

To be honest this is one of the first chile beers I've actually sat down to drink and give a good review to. I understand what makes a chile-styled brew good and what makes one bad, and I have to say I was *decently* impressed by this release but not blown away.

Appearance: The appearance lacks much head but what it does have in head it comes with a good quantity of. Solidly packed white foam packs about a quarter inch above my solid clear mug, while the color itself of the brew is very, *very* standard amber in nature. Not as much carbonation as you'd expect from a chile-styled brew but it's possibly the darker color of the amber that's throwing me off a bit. Decent appearance.

Smell: Least good of this beers aspects. I'm not quite sure why either. It seems like it should have a stronger spice scent to it, or at least something that gives it more presence in the nostrils. Decent 2 and a half.

Taste: Eh, it's pretty good. There is nothing special about it really. It hits you as a chile beer would and immediately enters your flood gates with an intense feeling of herbs and spices. It does taste chipotle - I guess - but I can't say this is the kind of chipotle I'd expect from some other top notch chipotle styled alcohols. Not bad... no copper after-taste to speak of (something I'm very big on if you've seen any other my reviews) but nothing to wow me. A Solid 3 or maybe a bit more.

Mouthfeel: This is where I actually think the beer shines. I have looked at no other reviews before reviewing this so I have no idea if people agree with me. It has a great sense of creaminess to it while throwing the spices into your life instantly. It feels good going down and the drinkability is high. A+ on this one.

Overall: Not my favorite Rogue in any way, but it's alright. I've had better spice-heavy beers and even a couple of other chipotle-themed ones. At the price tag this comes with, I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a bad beer either. I'm sure my review will be lower than the average since there are tons of Rogue fanatics out there, but I just wasn't feeling it too much this time.

3.34/5  rDev -7%

It's exactly what it says it is -- a beer that tastes like chipotle. Whether you like that or not probably depends on whether you like chipotle. But I think it deserves cudos for being unique and delivering on its name.

The beer doesn't look all that special. Below average headiness. Redish-orange colored beer with average transparency.

The smell really captures chipotle. You know what you're about to taste. And then the taste follows through. Beery up-front, with a spicy, lingering chipotle kick on the back side. Little too watered down, as far as mouthfeel.

I've never had a chile or chipotle style beer. And I can't claim it's my favorite. The aftertaste is tough. I prefer spicy foods washed down by refreshing beer.

I don't want to penalize the beer to much though, since I think it's very true to its style. Just not for everyone.

3.34/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales