Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699
3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours with a soild finger of head with a dark mahogany coloring

The smell reminds me of smoked deli meats and ketchup. Interesting and unlike most other chili beers I have tried

The taste is what is most took caught my attention, instead of the pepper spicyness it is more like a rauchbier. Very tasty version of the style.

M/D - The mouthfeel is quite good, but I think that this is something my palate could only take one of

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

I had this on tap at Slow's Barbeque in Detroit. The beer was served in a small chalice for some reason, I'm not sure why because this beer isn't too expensive in bottles. The bartender said the keg was expensive...

The beer was dark yellow golden colored with a thin white head. The aroma was surprisingly hoppy, I didn't get any chili peppers out of the smell. The taste was citrucy hoppy and a bit spicy, but the spicy heat must have come from peppers instead of hops. It was really pretty nice against the weak caramel malt flavors in the background. I plan to try it again from the bottle sometime.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

22oz bottle split with friends. Poured into Delirium Tremens glass.

A: Pours a dark slightly hazy amber with a moderately thick off-white head that faded into a nice thick film that left a lot of clinging lace down the glass.
S: This smells awesome. Spicy notes of chili peppers, roasted peppers, and...chipotle peppers! This really does have that great earthy smell of smoky jalapeños.
T: Just like the nose this has a big smoky spicy taste of dried jalapeños and salsa. Very unique and refreshing. The finish has a bit of heat to it too from the peppers which leaves a light burning sensation in the aftertaste.
M: If the body was any thicker than medium the flavors of this beer wouldn't work as well. Carbonation is low and the mouthfeel is a touch sticky.
D: Very interesting beer. Not something I would drink every day, but better than I expected especially seeing as how this beer could be pretty hit or miss. It's a hit in my book and should be tried if you're a fan of spicy foods.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from bomber into Roanoke College branded American pint glass.

Appearance: Light amber color with a large tan head that dissipates slowly and leaves a good amount of lacing aorund the glass.

Smell: Bready malt with hints of pepper. Has the tea hints that are common in Rogue beers.

Taste: Sweet and bready throughout, with a taste to it very similar to pico de gallo.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth, balanced carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: Very very interesting beer. The first chili beer I've had, and I like it. Not something I think I would get too often, but I'm sure I'll want some more sometime in the future.

I'm drinking this with Taco Bell right now, and they go great together!

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Rogues Chipotle Ale --- Great looking in the glass, amber orange color with a nice fluffy head. I didn't notice a distinct smell, and very little smokiness. Good malt with no hop flavor, it was smooth and left a little burn at the end. Taco salad i paired with it brought out the chipotle. Abv 5.50
I would buy it again.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

I must admit i always get a little scared about chile beers i mean they can either get it just right or sometimes go overboard with the chile taste which for me ruins it i just like that nice balance and this beer is a perfect example,it pours a deep golden amber colour with decent carbonation which leaves a nice two finger head that slowly dissapates to a peaky cap in the middle with lacing all down the sides,the first aroma i pick up is smoked chipotles with a malty,fruity aroma lying in the background its definately got me interested,it has an above average mouthfeel with the fruity,malt tastes hitting the palette first which is finished off with a subtle ting of smokey heat but not overdone at all this is definately one of the better examples of this style that ive tried but hey its Rogue that so doesnt suprise me.

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

I can't say this is my favorite brew, but I didn't dislike it.
The beer has an amber color with a decent head.
S: I could smell the Chipotle pepper and smokiness in the aroma. Being sensitive to anything with a hot pepper in it....I was a bit....tentative.
T: I could taste the pepper and was grateful this was well balanced by the malt. I can't say I like the idea of my beer having a spicy aspect - but I can respect Rogues offering.
M: Medium mouth feel, crisp on the palate.
D: I enjoyed it for what it is. My boyfriend loved it. I'll go back to my IPAs and let him have the spice. :)

3.99/5  rDev +11.1%

The brew appeared a copper - red color with minimal head.

The smell was sweet at first with a spice note on the end.

Taste was a little more complex. There was an immediate malt flavor followed by a smokey aftertaste. Following the smoke came a mild chile-like heat.

This was a malty beer that with good carbonation. Wasn't overpowering with the various flavors.

The smokey flavor was a little intense at times but for a chili beer I was very impressed. I would consider trying it again.

3.99/5  rDev +11.1%

I paired this beer with some pizza on a nice fall night and was pleasantly suprised. While at first I did not care for the beer after a few sips I really began enjoying it.

A - A nice rich hazy copper color with a nice little white lace that has very good retention. The beer poured nicely and gave it a very attractive pour. I served it in a goblet and felt that it was a good choice.

S - The smell was the best by far as this beer offered up some nice smoky malts with a subtle sweetness to it. It was tangy anf toothy in parts and and even had some fruitiness to it. Pepper and spices were very prevelant and were even more present as this beer warmed.

T - Smooth and sweet with a ncie tangy toothiness to it. The pepper and spices became very prevelant as the beer warmed up. There was some great smoky malt flavor to it. The beer had a small bite but it was there.

3.99/5  rDev +11.1%

Not my favorite beer by Rogue but I have to say one of the most creative beers I have ever had. When they say Chipotle they mean it. I am not sure if I should drink this beer or use it as a seasoning. It is very unique, very spicy, tastes like a Chipotle salsa, but it goes down very smoothly and is not over done. I can see how this could have gone wrong is so many ways but, hats off to Rogue, I think they nailed what they were going for. Not sure I would eat with spicy food might be over kill.

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a golden red color with a good carbonation and a thick creamy light tan head.

S- This beer has the smell of green hops with a faint chipotle heat in the finish. Some notes of toasted grain are also present.

T-This beer has a big pine hops taste with a nice base of toasted grain. The finish is a nice smoky red pepper flavor that is very well balanced. The slight warmth of chilies clings faintly to the throat at the finish.

M- This beer has a nice medium full mouthfeel with a hint of creaminess. No alcohol heat but a hint of chile heat.

D- This is a very pleasant chile beer. I'm quite surprised who good it is. I thought all chile beers had to involve pain but this one is all pleasure.

Amber in color, with a small ring of off-white bubbles. Clean, crisp, and slightly hoppy aroma similar to a pale ale, with a hint of smoked pepper.

The taste is more of the same, and better than I expected. More smooth, smoky pepper with a palate-cleansing finish of hops. Very enjoyable and unique...

Now, to try the Mole Black & Tan with a Rogue Chocolate Stout....mmm...that's ridiculously tasty.

Pours an intense crimson-amber with a nice beige head. The aroma is mostly malty with toasted bread and caramel, some spicy and floral hops and a mild, smokey pepper scent. The flavor is subtle but complex, with some toasted bread and biscuit, spicy and floral hops, and complex smokeiness, as well as roasted chipotle pepper...very nice. The mouthfeel is medium and drinkability is good. A very nice chile beer, complex and tasty.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales