Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,403 |  Reviews: 700
1.61/5  rDev -54.8%

Pours a nice fizzy head that's white. The color is almost an orange-like brown. The head doesn't retain too well and and doesn't leave a full lacing behind. The smell is spicy, but smells a bit like tobacco at the same time. The taste is tobacco like as well and has the same spiciness as the smell. The spice is unmistakeable. It's about like taking a drink of watered down tobacco spit. It leaves me a little nausious. The mouthfeel was a little fizzy. Overall I will never try this style again, it makes me want to throw up.

1.68/5  rDev -52.8%

Rogue Ales can typically do no wrong, not the best craft brew in America by any means but holds it's own with the larger mass producers.

This beer however got a split decision from me. The color and rich head never disappoints with Rogue and the feel of it in your mouth and over your tongue is fulfilling not at all a watered down brew. As for the taste, all I could taste was liquid smoke flavoring. Those of you in the restaurant business know this food additive that gives an artificial "smokey" flavor to meats or sauces. It made this beer undrinkable as a stand alone. However I see the point some other reviewers have made about drinking it with smoked meats or spicy foods. After the first sip I decided to use the rest in a marinade for some pork tenderloin and the result was quite pleasant.

So in conclusion I would suggest never setting this bottle to your lips but instead using it sparingly in cooking recipes.

JC, Grand Rapids, MI

1.69/5  rDev -52.5%

I saw this bottle and I thought " Oh man that must be awful!", but since I shop for beer at a discount store, it would be stupid not to try it when a 22oz bottle is only $2.29. Right?

No. Not right. Becuase this beer is gross. I thought about it, but It seems like no matter what mood your in, or what you're eating, this beer would always be weird. And gross. I really tried to like it. I poured it in a glass. If you're not paying attention the front end you get is okay. But then that aftertaste kicks in, and just keeps on trucking.

It really feels like a good beer under all of it. The ingredients they list on the label are high end, and I feel like if this beer wasn't trying so hard to be different it would be good. It's sort of full-bodied, and it has this cool toastiness like some of the best red ales have. It smells good, courtesy of the hops. On the first tip, I really appreciated the body and spice of the beer. It's winter, I'm cold. It had a fall warming ale sort of thing going. But after that first wash over your tounge it begins to go downhill. The hops and body and flavor drain away. At the last tail end of the aftertaste, after all the fresh beer flavor is gone, you're left with only weird smoky flavor. No fresh hoppy goodness for it to float around in. It's strange. I like chipotle flavor and eat lots of food with it, and I like lots of really weird unconventional beers( Bongwater, Scuttlebutt, Tutti Frutti, tons.) So this beer should be a shoe-in, but nope.
This beer is unique and you might even enjoy it if it caught you in the right mood, but you'll never drink much of it.

You might end up doing what I did: pour half down the drain. Seriously. After 1 glass I couldn't stand it. If you're smart: You'll avoid opening it in the first place. Look here, and see that some people even like this stuff and are willing to trade for it. Go figure.
Different strokes for different folks eh? Apparently some people like smoky, weird beer that doesn't make any sense.
I wished I'd traded mine. for anything. whoops!

The bottom line:
The only reason you should drink this is if you hate beer and you only want the alcohol.

1.75/5  rDev -50.8%

1.75/5  rDev -50.8%

1.86/5  rDev -47.8%

a- bomber poured into a pint, more than a fingers worth of fluffy head, hazy honey amber coloring.

s- bizarre - thats my adjective here. you can definately smell the chopotle peppers blended together with the caramel malts. my description sounds appealing enough but the smell really is off-putting - and i LOVE chipotle peppers.

t- bizarrer - new word, but appropriate here. fermented peppers, the spice is detectable in the back of the throat. this beer really isn't my thing.

m- medium body.

d- the drinkability here isn't great. i was sooo looking forward to trying this, i went out of my way to pick up a bottle and saved it for a special pairing with my homemade chili (which has beer and chipotle peppers in it). this should have been a wonderful pairing but unfortunately i ended up drainpouring this bad boy.

1.92/5  rDev -46.1%

Pours a solid amber color with a sticky, white head that stays for a good long while. It smells like someone poured some kind of chili powder into a stock ale. Odd to say the least. The peppery sensation sits in the nose, but isn't strong enough to make me sneeze or anything. The Chipotle taste isn't as powerful as I would have originally thought. Instead, it sits in the mouth long after all of the other flavors have passed, burning slightly...more like pepper than anything else. As for the other flavors, there are some pretty decent hop notes that bitter the whole thing up, but they lose out to the peppered flavor.

1.93/5  rDev -45.8%

22 ounce bottle from Cooke's Family Market in El Segundo

Poured a deep reddish brown color into my pint glass

One of the worst beers I have had in a long time, peppers and beer do not mix at all

Smell was rancid and taste was so spicy, I needed to drink water with it

Only drank about five ounces before giving it to my dad, he will drink anything

Not recommended

1.95/5  rDev -45.2%

Apperance: Golden rose, or apricot. The head retention was minimal to moderate.

Nose: Wheat and peppers right away. Some sun dried tomatos, sweet caramel, and vanilla.

Taste: Skins of red pepper stays with you and slides down your throat. It is a bit spicy in the end, as well as a bit of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light body with light texture and carbonation, actually, very little carbonation.

Notes: Interesting and worth a try, but not worth repeating.

1.96/5  rDev -44.9%

A- dark brown with some amber pushing through at the sides. Nice fluffy head.

S- peppery slightly yeasty.

T- Awful. I really didn't expect this from Rogue as I love most of their beers. Almost no chipotle but way too much black pepper. couldn't pick out much because the black pepper was just too overwhelming.

M- Thin not much else because this was definitely a beer pour.

I have a good amount of experience using this pepper both whole and in powder form and let me tell you the flavor just wasn't there. I am very disappointed

1.99/5  rDev -44.1%

Poured into a pint glass a light brown/sunset orange with a 3/4" cream coloured head. Some stickage against the walls of the glass.

Musty. Smells of 'Great Grandma's closet,' as the odor of clothes that haven't been used in years wafts out as it is opened. Smokey spice, light nutmeg, spice.

Taste:
Some malt sweetness up front colliding with an earthy spice character. Cheyenne, Jalepeno, lemon, and smoke all come to mind. Chewing on spicy dirt is the best comparison I can draw.

M: Well carbonated, perhaps its best quality.

I wish Rogue would have put this in a 12 oz so I wouldn't be stuck with 22 oz of this. (Ended up giving 1/2 to a friend who has a cold and could only taste the spicey heat). I had to pop some lime flavoured popcorn to help this down.

Interesting effort. "Extreme" beer though? I tend to define "extreme" as something innovative AND delicious, so I would say Rogue is a bit off of the mark here.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales