Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,403 |  Reviews: 700
1.86/5  rDev -47.8%

a- bomber poured into a pint, more than a fingers worth of fluffy head, hazy honey amber coloring.

s- bizarre - thats my adjective here. you can definately smell the chopotle peppers blended together with the caramel malts. my description sounds appealing enough but the smell really is off-putting - and i LOVE chipotle peppers.

t- bizarrer - new word, but appropriate here. fermented peppers, the spice is detectable in the back of the throat. this beer really isn't my thing.

m- medium body.

d- the drinkability here isn't great. i was sooo looking forward to trying this, i went out of my way to pick up a bottle and saved it for a special pairing with my homemade chili (which has beer and chipotle peppers in it). this should have been a wonderful pairing but unfortunately i ended up drainpouring this bad boy.

1.92/5  rDev -46.1%

Pours a solid amber color with a sticky, white head that stays for a good long while. It smells like someone poured some kind of chili powder into a stock ale. Odd to say the least. The peppery sensation sits in the nose, but isn't strong enough to make me sneeze or anything. The Chipotle taste isn't as powerful as I would have originally thought. Instead, it sits in the mouth long after all of the other flavors have passed, burning slightly...more like pepper than anything else. As for the other flavors, there are some pretty decent hop notes that bitter the whole thing up, but they lose out to the peppered flavor.

1.93/5  rDev -45.8%

22 ounce bottle from Cooke's Family Market in El Segundo

Poured a deep reddish brown color into my pint glass

One of the worst beers I have had in a long time, peppers and beer do not mix at all

Smell was rancid and taste was so spicy, I needed to drink water with it

Only drank about five ounces before giving it to my dad, he will drink anything

Not recommended

1.95/5  rDev -45.2%

Apperance: Golden rose, or apricot. The head retention was minimal to moderate.

Nose: Wheat and peppers right away. Some sun dried tomatos, sweet caramel, and vanilla.

Taste: Skins of red pepper stays with you and slides down your throat. It is a bit spicy in the end, as well as a bit of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light body with light texture and carbonation, actually, very little carbonation.

Notes: Interesting and worth a try, but not worth repeating.

1.96/5  rDev -44.9%

A- dark brown with some amber pushing through at the sides. Nice fluffy head.

S- peppery slightly yeasty.

T- Awful. I really didn't expect this from Rogue as I love most of their beers. Almost no chipotle but way too much black pepper. couldn't pick out much because the black pepper was just too overwhelming.

M- Thin not much else because this was definitely a beer pour.

I have a good amount of experience using this pepper both whole and in powder form and let me tell you the flavor just wasn't there. I am very disappointed

1.99/5  rDev -44.1%

Poured into a pint glass a light brown/sunset orange with a 3/4" cream coloured head. Some stickage against the walls of the glass.

Musty. Smells of 'Great Grandma's closet,' as the odor of clothes that haven't been used in years wafts out as it is opened. Smokey spice, light nutmeg, spice.

Taste:
Some malt sweetness up front colliding with an earthy spice character. Cheyenne, Jalepeno, lemon, and smoke all come to mind. Chewing on spicy dirt is the best comparison I can draw.

M: Well carbonated, perhaps its best quality.

I wish Rogue would have put this in a 12 oz so I wouldn't be stuck with 22 oz of this. (Ended up giving 1/2 to a friend who has a cold and could only taste the spicey heat). I had to pop some lime flavoured popcorn to help this down.

Interesting effort. "Extreme" beer though? I tend to define "extreme" as something innovative AND delicious, so I would say Rogue is a bit off of the mark here.

Too smoky overall but has a watery finish.

2.01/5  rDev -43.5%

A: Pours a nice light orangish/red color with a nice large tan foam head. There is a decent amount of lacing.

S: A decent amount of spicy peppers, jalapeno, chile, smoke and toast.

T: After smelling the beer, I expected something different. As somebody who enjoys a lot of spice, this did not have a good taste. It was ashy, like an ashtray. Lots of smoke dominate the beer.

M: Leaves a smokey taste on the palate, like charred wood.

D: Not my kind of beer...many like this beer, but for me, not one I enjoy.

2.06/5  rDev -42.1%

Whew! This is the first beer I've ever sent back! And the first Rogue that I have not only not enjoyed but rather detested!

Had this on tap at the brewery. Looked very nice, deep molases-amber. Not a lot of aroma to speak of. Too bad, as it may have portended some of the terrible fury that lay within.

As the beer hit my tounge, I was reminded of a Scottish that I had brewed that had become infected. Nothing but band-aid lickin' all the way (oh, an a smoked band-aid, if that helps).

I told the 'tender about the problem and that they might want to check this out. He poured a sample and told me that, no, this is just what it is supposed to taste like. Hmmm....

At least he let me get something else.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales