Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699
1.99/5  rDev -44.6%

Poured into a pint glass a light brown/sunset orange with a 3/4" cream coloured head. Some stickage against the walls of the glass.

Musty. Smells of 'Great Grandma's closet,' as the odor of clothes that haven't been used in years wafts out as it is opened. Smokey spice, light nutmeg, spice.

Taste:
Some malt sweetness up front colliding with an earthy spice character. Cheyenne, Jalepeno, lemon, and smoke all come to mind. Chewing on spicy dirt is the best comparison I can draw.

M: Well carbonated, perhaps its best quality.

I wish Rogue would have put this in a 12 oz so I wouldn't be stuck with 22 oz of this. (Ended up giving 1/2 to a friend who has a cold and could only taste the spicey heat). I had to pop some lime flavoured popcorn to help this down.

Interesting effort. "Extreme" beer though? I tend to define "extreme" as something innovative AND delicious, so I would say Rogue is a bit off of the mark here.

Too smoky overall but has a watery finish.

2.01/5  rDev -44%

A: Pours a nice light orangish/red color with a nice large tan foam head. There is a decent amount of lacing.

S: A decent amount of spicy peppers, jalapeno, chile, smoke and toast.

T: After smelling the beer, I expected something different. As somebody who enjoys a lot of spice, this did not have a good taste. It was ashy, like an ashtray. Lots of smoke dominate the beer.

M: Leaves a smokey taste on the palate, like charred wood.

D: Not my kind of beer...many like this beer, but for me, not one I enjoy.

2.06/5  rDev -42.6%

Whew! This is the first beer I've ever sent back! And the first Rogue that I have not only not enjoyed but rather detested!

Had this on tap at the brewery. Looked very nice, deep molases-amber. Not a lot of aroma to speak of. Too bad, as it may have portended some of the terrible fury that lay within.

As the beer hit my tounge, I was reminded of a Scottish that I had brewed that had become infected. Nothing but band-aid lickin' all the way (oh, an a smoked band-aid, if that helps).

I told the 'tender about the problem and that they might want to check this out. He poured a sample and told me that, no, this is just what it is supposed to taste like. Hmmm....

At least he let me get something else.

2.14/5  rDev -40.4%

Ugghhh...wretched...first beer from Rogue I don't like.
Looked a nice orange amber...no head what so ever...flat like
Smelled mostly like malt and some smoke...and tequilla
Taste...horrid...like tequilla and beer
mouthfeel...thin
drinkability...I actually poured this down the sink...

2.14/5  rDev -40.4%

A few ounces from a bomber poured into a small wine glass. Just had a sample. Translucent amber color, not much head.

Smells and tastes like smokey peanuts. Seems like sweet malt is TRYING to break through, but being beaten down by a smokey hot-sauce flavor. Slightly bacony, slight sting in the back of the mouth. It's sort of like a rauchbier, with spice added to the smoke.

Average carbonation - not too low, not too high, pretty decent. Probably the only thing the beer had going for it.

Seriously undrinkable. I couldn't even finish a sample. I love Rogue, but there's no reason to buy this other than to go "dude, check out how weird this beer is" or maybe to use as a marinade for beef jerky. I guess it does technically deliver what it says it will deliver, but I just can't in good conscience give this a good review.

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

A- Pours a nice amber color with a lackluster white head.

S- Very elusive on the nose, a touch of malts and yeast. WEird fake smokey scent as well.

T- Ugh I guess chili beers are not for me cause this tastes like a straight can of chewing tobacco with a cayenne backer.

D- I had to pour this down the drain first beer Ive ever done this with.

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured hazy amber with a normal/abundant amount of head, which formed in some large bubbles. Aroma is very malty, bready, and pleasant. Previously, I'd had another chile beer which turned me off from this category, so I was a bit reluctant to take a sip. Flavor was extremely malty on the nose, with a bit of spice on the back-end. Not great, but not awful. Although I love chiles, spicy food, and preparing and eating all the foods that go with that (salsa, guacamole, anything Mexican, spicy tomato sauces and so on, after these two experiments with chile beers, I think I'm not going to meddle with this category further in the future.

2.18/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Super spicy. Was not my cup I tea but taste is subjective. Me personaly I didn't care for it and will not purchase again

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales