Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,401 |  Reviews: 698
3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, chilled into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy amber color with a nice bit of creamy (1/2") and tan head taht clings nicely to the glass as it slowly dissipates.

Aroma is mainly of some herbal and floral hops, while a bit of caramel and pepper hits my nose also. I can tell there's a bit of spice in there.

Sipping at first I get a lot of sweet caramel, along with a bittering, herbal hop flavor. A bit of spice and pepper comes through, but reminds me a bit of black pepper on the finish, and really wasn't what I expected. It leaves my lips tingling a little, so maybe the PEPPER IS IN THERE!?

Body is nicely balanced with nice sweetness and then bitterness. Body is medium with a nice mild carbonation and tingle from the pepper maybe.

Overall, more drinkable than expected. I've tried Cave Creek Chili Beer before, and it was near unbearable, so when I picked this up, it was more an experiment. A good one! Cheers!

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

This is, to date, the only Chile beer I have had. I like this beer, though it is impossible for me to make any comparisons.

Pour: Hazy copper, white head. Lots of lacing...

The aroma is a combination of lightly smoked, grainy malt and a somewhat "green" vegetal impression.

The taste is comprised of a robust malt base and a light, bitter hop addition. The pepper aspect really only creates some heat in the finish... though the taste of smoked pepper is all about. Im getting that same raw green pepper from the nose somewhere mid sip, which adds some character to the whole package. I think Id like to feel a bit more peppery heat, just for fun.

Motuhfeel is medium light, carbonation is high. Heat or spice from the pepper addition does not detract from drinkability. This is actually quite refreshing, especially with a meal.

Though I dont have another chile beer to compare this to, I think this is a well crafted and interesting drink.

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

A- Poured from a bomber into a tulip. Clear amber color with a short foamy head without much retention.

S- The malt comes through as well as the smoke from the chipotle. Hops are in the background.

T- I bought this to pair with a smoked chicken chipotle burrito and it was excellent. The chipotle spice, heat and smoke matched the burrito perfectly. Finishing the bottle was like an extension of the meal.

M- Appropriate for style. On the light side but this let's the heat come through without dominating.

O- Outstanding! I can't attest to this as a stand alone beer but this is a perfect pairing with chipotle based cuisine.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

Brown bomber poured into a mug.

A: Pours a beautiful amber with crimson center that just makes you stop to admire. The head is huge, then settles down to half a finger with perfect lacing. This is the best "looking" beer I think I've ever seen.

S: Smokey pepper as advertised with a faint sweetness from the malts. But the overwhelming aroma for me, tobacco. I just couldn't stop thinking chewing tobacco every time i got it close to my honker.

T/M: Rich and smooth. This is a fantastic beer. I was weary of a Chile Beer, but it delivers. Smokey, a mild dose of hops, a touch of spice in the back, and a clean finish. Really well done.

I'm thinking grilled sausages on summer day. Reckon!

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours copper with a white head. Mild chili aroma with first pour that gets greater as it warms. Medium body, like that of a Golden Ale. Chipotle flavor really comes out as it warms up with a little heat at the back of the throat. Great body and carbonation for a chili beer.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Brilliantly clear dark amber with a moderate sized off-white head.

A- Malty aroma with light pepper and smoke.

T- The pepper is far from overpowering and took a few sips before any sort of pepper heat developed. It was a light heat sensation.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, very smooth drinking beer.

D- Very drinkable pepper beer. The chipotle was far from overpowering and could have been increased without being offensive.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a- nice clear amber color with lots of tiny bubbles. a small receding white head. minimal lacing.

s- appley hops, some caramel malt, fresh fruit & very slight alcohol.

t- upfront fruity hops balanced with malt & a noticeable accent of chili pepper. finish is all bread dough & sweetness. very well-balanced but ends up a bit bland & lifeless after a while.

m- crisp, medium body, ample carbonation. quite smooth, & seems like they got this exactly where they wanted it.

I can imagine this pairing nicely with a lot of American & Mexican cuisine. I would maybe like a little more hop presence & a little less malt in a beer like this, as the malts just end up stale and boring to me. Still, an easy drinking good beer to pair with meals in the summer.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

The Rogue Chipolte Ale is a very interesting brew, containing smoke and fire. This pours an amber color with a nice, though short lasting, head. The smell is smokey, with malts and hops barely poking through. The taste is smokey and then there is a nice follow up of spice. This is a fun brew. I can foresee enjoying this with just about any spicey tex-mex dish: It would fit in nicely. Drinkability is isa bit limited, at least for me, to a bomber per sitting (plus I would only enjoy this on occassion). Don't be afraid, it is different but good!

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Because of it’s roots as an amber ale, a rich caramel malt backbone blends with the chile flavor and keeps it in check. Still, the chipotle largely dominates and leaves a mild and spicy bitterness. An easy mouthfeel makes for good drinking and along with its strong carbonation, this brew cleanses the palate and really washes down food. This can feel little rich, however, if drank by itself.

3.95/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.95/5  rDev +10%

A- Out of the bottle with a full finger of light cream head over a beer with a orange color, tinted with red (just as the beer is tinted w/ chile...) to turn it towards the bronze spectrum. Not really any lacing.

S- The chipotle is definitely noticeable here, very much like the canned product, or a dried chile. It smells quite smoky, and spicy. As the beer warms, some different flavors come out- grass and pale malt.

T- Again, the chipotle is very noticeable. I was expecting hot spiciness but really only the flavor is there (see below for more). And there's a decent amount of hops as well, tending towards earthy-grassy variety of flavors. A beer that doesn't overwhelm.

M- My entire tongue is stimulated with this one. The sweetness sticks to the front; the spiciness sits in the middle; and the bitter hops are at the back. A complete package of mouthfeels. Very nice.

O- As expected this would pair great with some food. I was expecting a lot hotter beer. But this is really chipotle flavor with only a tint of heat. Well done.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Poured a relatively nice orange/red color, though i can't be too too sure since I was in a dark restaurant when i got it. There was almost no head apparent, even when I swirled it around in the pint glass.

It smelt interesting and had some hops come through as well as some small amount of peppery, yet not extremely spicy flavor. It was obviously composed in balance as it was difficult to identify many distinguishable aromas.

The taste was actually very smooth and enjoyable to drink. It started as a slightly hoppy amber and progressed into a cayenne pepper flavor. Although my last experience with a "funky" beer was unenjoyable, this was actually decent. I paired it with some Mexican food, which really was the right idea.

The mouth feel was decent and although I could have gone with a tiny bit more viscosity, I enjoyed it as it went down. Furthermore, I felt that it was extremely drinkable as before I had even realized, I pretty much killed the beer.

Definitely an enjoyable beer. I'm glad I didn't listen to some warnings from others; for an interesting beer, this is a great try that's worth coming back for again.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

A- A hazy amber color with just less than a finger a slight off white head that holds rather well.

S- Some undertones of malt appear but the dominating smell in this one is of smokey pepper.

T- A surprising balance of sweet and smooth malt and the pepper taste. The malt begins the taste as a refreshing amount of heat begins to rise in the beer. Smokey jalapeno completes the profile as the heat lingers in a very refreshing manner.

M- Medium body with moderate carbonation. Smooth and refreshing.

D- This is one to be paired with food and kept in moderation. Do enjoy it though.

3.95/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: This is a nice thick burnt orange color with about a half inch of head that dissipates quickly to form a thin layer lingering just on top of the brew. Lacing is decent

Smell: Spicy peppers like chipotle and nice bready notes as well.

Taste: Very good ale taste with the perfect amount of pepper flavoring. It finishes nice a spicey hot but just enough to notice it and not enough to have you reaching for a cup of water.

Mouthfeel: A very smooth beer but the heat created by the added pepper makes this a pretty sharp beer.

Drinkability: You can't chug this stuff at all, just enjoy this slowly and enjoy the complexity of flavor.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Undated silkscreened bomber poured into a pint glass.

Loud hiss when the oxygen fixing cap was cracked. Clear copper with a light tan head of two fingers. Decent retention, spotty lace.

The nose is very smokey. The pepper aromas are underneath along with a ghostly malt. As it warms the pepper is more noticable, and mouth watering.

The taste starts out with a little malt then the smoke kicks in followed by the heat of the peppers that pair with some hop bitterness in the finish. The smoked pepper flavor becomes stronger as it warms, but it never goes so far as to overpower the beer flavors.

Moderate mouth that could use a bit more carbonation. My only regret is that I didn't pair this with chicken fajitas or jalepeno jack. Next time.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Appearance – Loose bubbly head, briefly sits atop a golden red transparent brew before disappearing completely.

Smell – Mainly smoky, with hints of the chili pepper and a little malt in the background.

Taste – Sweet and smoky, very little chili taste. Good malt flavor on the back end. Much less in my face than I was expecting. This is a nice subtle smoke and chili flavored beer, not what I was expecting at all.

Mouthfeel – Medium to heavy mouthfeel, light carbonation.

Drinkability – This is a very drinkable, beer that is not as exciting or chili flavored as I had hoped. Its hard to judge this not having had a chili beer before, it loses points for not having too much chili flavor. It is a good beer that I could see drinking with a variety of foods, but the flavor makes this much more than just a novelty.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Bomber bottle in Florida.

Poured a copper color with a large frothy light brown head that was lasting with good lacing.

Good complex burnt malt and citrus aroma.

Medium body with soft carbonation.

Good smoke and citrus flavor with a light bitter astringent finish of moderate duration.

One of the top rated beers for style.

3.96/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: Beautiful light-amber color. Great head retention and lacing.

Smell: Vegetal(pepper) and smokey

Taste: Initial flavor is slightly sweet to peppery. very balanced with a lingering smoked pepper taste. I would've wanted some "heat."

Mouthfeel: decent, nothing to write home about.

Drinkability: Pass me another one, i could go through a sixer easy.

Final Thoughts: I would want a stronger attack on the nose, some heat, and a more fuller mouthfeel.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured into a glass. The color is amber with a large white head. Smell is strong, with a nice chile bite. It's a smooth taste, the chiles are apparent and it's well carbonated. The mouthfeel is average, the spiciness of the drink lingers though which is a nice touch.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Poured a light copper color with off-white sticky head. Velvety lacing.

Rasins, chipotle peppers (of course), smoke, and caramel in the nose.

Nice savory, smokey, and peppery flavors with plenty of caramel to balance those falvors out. Slight crisp and clean hop flavors detectable. Some bite from the peppers in the finish.

Smooth and light mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable in a wierd savory kind of way. Paired very nicely with a Portabella burger. I will buy again.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

22 oz. bottle. I'm still waiting for these chipotle peppers to make their presence known. I bought this beer a few months ago, and after reading some reviews, I thought it would be a lot different than it actually is. Body has a deep golden color and the head retains well for a short while, then disappears. The peppers are not at all noticeable in the nose. However, the flavor and aroma of this beer are quite well balanced, though I really detect very little pepperage going on here. Nose is sweet and malty; this follows through in the flavor as well. A hint of signature Rogue hoppiness comes through towards the finish. Only a few seconds after I swallow can I feel a bit of spiciness on my tongue. I wouldn't say I can taste the peppers, but I can feel the heat, if only slightly. Oh, and I didn't expect a perfectly smooth, creamy mouthfeel, but that's what I got. I honestly wanted more peppers, smoke, and fire. That may be the only time I ever say such a thing.

Beer/Brewery - Chipotle Ale - Rogue Ales
City/State- Newport, Oregon
STYLE – Chile Beer
ABV – 5.5%
IBU – 35
DATE – 12 NOV 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 OZ bottle
GLASSWARE – Tumbler
APPEARANCE – Reddish orange with a foamy head lingering at ¼ inch and a good flow of bubbles
AROMA- Sweet with a hint of cayenne
TASTE – Chipolata right off the bat but not spicy at all, just a nice roasted pepper taste, Refreshing believe it or not. As the beer warmed up are of the roasted pepper came out, but still never spicy
MOUTHFEEL – very smooth and a bit creamy.
CONCLUSION – I like it, weird flavor but it works. I would not drink it every day, but it is very enjoyable
-JH-

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

A hazy (very hazy, more than anticipated) amber brew, with some lightly red notes. Cream colored head, a fairly good amount. Retention is "meh," not bad. Fairly good drooping lacing.

Caramel malt. Smoke quality. Chipotle comes through, sticks to the nostrils and is noticeable on the roof of my mouth from the aroma alone.

Light, sweet malts up front. Biscuit. Crispened up by the chipotle. Smokey, spicy flavors stick around on the palate.

Slightly chewy feel. A good amount of carbonation. A nicely crisp, drinkable brew. A good ale with a bit of complex spice and smoke added.

22 oz. Bottle
The ingredients list says "smoked chipotle peppers." Isn't that redundant?

Appearance: This was a hazey, amber-orange beer. On my first pour, a coarse white head, only one finger high, rose up and disappeared in a flash. Not even a ring was left by the time that the glass was half empty. I must have had my head up my ass on that first pour, though. The rest of the bottle poured with a huge, dense head that lingered and left a ton of lace.

Smell: From the bottle, this brew smelled very smokey, almost like the Rogue Smoke Ale (Nooooo!!). From the glass it was totally different. There were classic malt and hop aroms combined with a subtle smokiness. When I first smelled this beer, I thought that I caught a whiff of some spice from the peppers. That was the only time that I could detect it, though.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and very smooth.

Taste: The usual malt and hops were present in this beer, and it was all overlayed by the smoke flavor from the peppers. There is also a sour twang on the tongue. Could this be attributed to the peppers? Anyway, the finish is when a very mild spiciness kicks in. After my second pour, some yeast flavors joined the party.

This beer was pretty good. If someone *has* to make a beer with peppers in it, it should taste like this.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales