Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,407 |  Reviews: 701
3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Poured a bright, clear orange with amber highlights and a foamy beige head that settled after several minutes to a sparse micro-bubbly layering. Visible carbonation was strong and steady.

S: roasted chipotle peppers and a light smoked woodiness along with some caramel malt.

T: The initial flavor starts off spicy from the roasted peppers, that was zesty and pronounced with an underlying sweet roasted maltiness. The peppery nature is certainly distinguishable providing a mild spiciness that gentle faded leaving a warming sensation deep in the stomach. There was a light smokiness but it was the spicy peppery nature and warming in the stomach that truly characterize this beer. There was traces of dried citrus while the balance of the roasted peppers and malting was good with just enough to give it a spicy kick, but not enough to totally distract from the beer nature.

M: light, slick, with a nice spicy pepperiness, spicing things up which left a warming sensation on the tongue and lips.

D: Definitely not a session beer, The hot roasted peppers brings a spicy and sauciness that was quite unique. On bomber should be plenty. A novelty beer but a very good one at that and worth a try for the adventurous beer drinker seeking out something different. Will definitely spicy up your night.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Pours apple juice copper with a thin bubbly, foamy white head that leaves foamy patches on the glass.

The smell is of the Rogue signature Pac-man yeast, with bready, citric, grainy notes. Not catching the chipotle, other than a slightly smoky whiff that could easily be missed.

The taste is of ... Rogue's signature Pac-man yeast strain. A nice yeast strain, to say the least. Otherwise, there is a bready taste with a touch of citrus and pine. The hops add flavor, but little bitterness, as this remains sweet throughout. The spicy part starts out very very mild, but grows a bit as it progresses, more in the form of smokiness than sharp heat. Finishes sweet with a touch of smoky balance.

It has a medium body with lingering sweetness.

Drinks easily. Not the chile heat that I expected, but that is probably not a bad thing. Interesting as "something different", but not enough to it (in any direction of the several that it goes) to get again.

3.34/5  rDev -6.2%

It's exactly what it says it is -- a beer that tastes like chipotle. Whether you like that or not probably depends on whether you like chipotle. But I think it deserves cudos for being unique and delivering on its name.

The beer doesn't look all that special. Below average headiness. Redish-orange colored beer with average transparency.

The smell really captures chipotle. You know what you're about to taste. And then the taste follows through. Beery up-front, with a spicy, lingering chipotle kick on the back side. Little too watered down, as far as mouthfeel.

I've never had a chile or chipotle style beer. And I can't claim it's my favorite. The aftertaste is tough. I prefer spicy foods washed down by refreshing beer.

I don't want to penalize the beer to much though, since I think it's very true to its style. Just not for everyone.

4.34/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. pours a hazy amber color with two fingers of off white head that remain for a few minutes. nice moderate lacings.

aroma is earthy and malty, with a smokey character. a note of caramel and a bit of roasted malts show through as well.

taste is earthy and malty up front, with notes of caramel and a hint of roasted malts, along with a smoked character and a spiced quality. finishes on a spicy note, which comes from the peppers, and works quite well with the profile.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth texture and mild CO2. finishes spicy with residual peppers and smoke.

drinkability is good. this brew is exactly what it claims to be on the bottle: 'a delicate smooth crisp flavor with a subtle, smokey chipotle finish'. cheers!

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Aye carumba, a spicy beer that works rather than burns and offends. This is a solid Rogue Ale with that great roasted chipotle taste on the finish. No, it doesn't scour your mouth out but rather it works with any spicy food or even better try it with food that is not spicy like a bowl of vegetable soup; it brings its own spice to the table. It is totally drinkable by itself( there is a smokiness to the finish like a lighter version of rogue smoke). Cool beer that is a benchmark for the style.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

1.41/5  rDev -60.4%

I don't know if the bottle was bad, or if I just hated the beer, but this one went straight down the drain after just a few sips. The beer poured a reddish color and smelled like chipotles. It also tasted quite a bit like them. Now I really like chipotle peppers, but something with this beer didn't agree with me. The person I was splitting the bomber with finished his glass, something I couldn't do. I have liked everything else from Rogue so I was expecting to like this one. But it just wasn't drinkable. I guess it is an acquired taste.

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Copper with a light tan head, some retention & lace.

S: Smokey, roasted red pepper, chili-powder, pale malt.

T: A fairly bold smoked-pepper flavour, with a slight underlying pale malt flavour.

M: Moderate body is well carbonated with a little acidity, dry finish.

D: Decent.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

I bought this beer with high expectations. I enjoy many of Rogue's brews. Poured a clear reddish color with a pretty good head. Smelled fairly citrusy, I was trying to detect any chipotle pepper spice but must have been way in the back. The taste was a little surprising. A bit thin and I was really hoping for a heavy pepper taste. There was a noticable "heat" but for the most part it was fairly well balanced. I guess it is good it isn't too overpowering or it would be hard to quaff.

3.82/5  rDev +7.3%

It's a light reddish, caramel color with a light tan head and has plenty of carbonation and very little lacing; it has a nice hoppy aroma to along with some spicy undertone and a mild citrus smell, but nothing like chipotle peppers. It has a clean and refreshing feel; it's pretty smooth and leaves a slight film in your mouth. It is mildly spicy, I think I was expecting something much hotter, but is very tasty. There is some bitterness in its aftertaste that really compliments the spiciness to it. This is a pretty good beer over all and I'll be buying again soon.

4.35/5  rDev +22.2%

A - the beer light brown, with nice head.

S - Smells of some citrus along with hop aroma, cannot really smell the Chipotle.

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor, not too sweet not to astringent.

M - I do not taste the Chipotle, I love spicy, and it might be spicy for someone else, but I do not see it. the mouth feel is nice

D - drinks nice, a good beer, not really a spiced beer for my taste.

4.05/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a 22oz bottle into my Smokestack goblet. The beer pours a reddish copper with a big off white head that dissipates into just a thin layer, leaving sticky lacing all the way down the glass. The aroma starts out as the sweet spiciness that comes from a fresh green jalapeno. There is a subtle sweetness that balances the spiciness very well. The taste is mildly oily and leaves a nice spiciness on the lips and tongue. For someone that really enjoys spicy food, this beer is really good. The mouthfeel is a bit thick honestly. I wish it was a bit thinner. I think that it would balance the spiciness a bit better. While, I think this is a good beer, it would be hard to drink more than a bomber.

3.63/5  rDev +2%

Pours a nice looking amber color with nice copper highlights and a white head on top that dissolves fairly slowly, although there's no real lacing. Nose is spicy malt, some smokiness, and roasted malt as well. Taste is similar. Spicy malt up front, some toffee and smokiness in there too. The chipotle spice shows up in the middle and sticks it through the aftertaste, a strangely spicy brew (my first chile brew). Kind of like a mild bitter or solid spicy malt beer, taken to the extreme in terms of spiciness. Overall, I liked this one. Very interesting.

4.64/5  rDev +30.3%

Poured from a bomber with little head to speak of and a deep copper color.

S: Very faint smell at first maybe hops or citrus then the pepper kicks in.

T: Light taste of chipolte pepper with a light oily hop taste to it. After the first sip you can feel the heat from the pepper creep from the throat back into the mouth.

M: Oily and very smooth the heat remains after the first sip, which is nice.

D: I will probably have it next time with some spicy food. Very nice beer if you are in the mood for something a little spicy. Definatly worth a try.

3.44/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm not sure if it was actually unfiltered or not, but this definitely looked like it. It was a pretty dark brown with a sweet hops and spices scent. It wasn't very bitter at all. The prominent taste was malt, with other various peppery flavors mixed in. It started out very unique and interesting, but the more I drank it the more it tasted like a regular brown ale.

2.89/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a 650 ml bomber into a pint glass.

The beer poured a hazy copper with a 1/2 inch foam off white foam head.

The smell was hoppy with a sweet fruit, citrus scent. No smell of chipotle pepper whatsoever.

The initial sip is spicy but not from the pepper. Its a hoppy oily spice biting at the tip of the tongue. The initial hop bite fades into a citrus sweetness. After the beer is swallowed a slow heat creeps up starting at the back of the tongue and working its way down the throat. Its a mild heat but it is definitely noticeable. I never actually taste the pepper flavor only feeling the heat.

The mouthfeel is oily, allowing the hops to stick to the mouth also allowing the heat to remain. Its an interesting beer and I am glad I tried it but it is clearly not something you would drink more than one of.

4.09/5  rDev +14.9%

A - One finger of off-white head forms on top of a slightly hazy, reddish copper body. The head doesn't stick around long, and there is no lace to speak of.

S - Caramel malt and the smoky, spicy aroma of roasted chili peppers.

T - Malt, caramel and some sweet, roasted pepper notes up front. Mild chili spice and moderate hop flavor come in together in the middle and compliment each other nicely. Hop bitterness, mild spice and a hint of smoke play off each other in the finish.

M - Medium body, high carbonation, and a moderately dry finish.

D - Easily drinkable. The chili pepper heat is just right to give the beer some spicy character without making it unpleasant, though I could stand a bit more chili flavor. The hops and peppers really play off each other well, and the medium amber maltiness balances everything nicely. This is certainly one of the best out of the few chili beers I have had.

I didn't pair this bottle with any food, but the natural choice would be anything mexican. It is kind of like a Dos Equis Amber, but more complex and with some heat.

3.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours a cloudy copper color with a big bubbly head that diminishes to a very thin lace.

I expected the chipotle smell to be more apparent, but it was pretty faint -- just the slightly metallic character chipotle peppers have.

This beer far surpassed my expectations when it comes to taste. The chipotle character is very subtle, and the heat from the peppers makes just a subtle appearance in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very good. This is a very velvety beer indeed.

I could drink a few of these in succession. I will buy more. This was a single.

My score would be better if not for the "below average" appearance. Everything else is much better than expected.

3.91/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a dark amber with a good deal of head, albeit dissipating slowly. Smells very early -- subtle hops, and a hint of the chipotle peppers. Nothing fantastic here. The taste is interesting, but I west left wanting more. The complexity isn't what I expected from a "peppery" ale. While I can taste a touch of the chipotle peppers in the aftertaste, it was never the focus nor an integral part of the ale. What was striking is the warmth of flavor and I don't mean temperature. The mouthfeel is exhilarating as the flavor is consistent while the liquid is on the palate, finishing nicely with a hint of pepper. I liked the overall feeling and general warm tasting deliciousness, but I would have liked more chipotles in the overall taste and especially in the smell. Good brew.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a medium amber color, clear, with a thin, foamy beige head. Aroma was a nice blend of sweet malts, earthy hops and peppery hotness. I knew I was in for a ride.

The initial flavor is nothing too wild, until the pepper aftertaste gently burns the back of your throat. Reminiscent of a rauchbier, but with a kick. It's jolting-- almost as if you're drinking a spicy V8 in your beer. But the more I drank, the more I enjoyed it. The hotness never became overbearing, and the earthy hops and sugar balanced out well enough. I'm always on the lookout for unique beers, and this one is one of the most unique I've ever had. That said, one bomber was plenty.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Opened 22 oz bomber bottle, poured into Nonic glass.

Nice off white head forms about 3/4" above top of golden/amber brew.

Smell is of hoppy citrus, but nothing outstanding. Taste is definitely smokey chipotle with a little hoppy bitterness on the finish. It would be awesome if it were just a tad sweeter, but all in all, its a pleasant brew. Very novelty, wouldn't be a regular brew.

2.66/5  rDev -25.3%

22 oz bottle poured into a pub glass. A tall initial head that recedes quickly. Not much lacing left. Color is a clear, dark redding brown. Minimum carbonation activity.

Smell is a little weak, though it leans towards a chocolate malt aroma. A bit of hops and pepper mingles. Taste is pretty confusing. It starts off with a smoked/chocolate malt then moves to Cascade hops and then finishes with a chile pepper after taste. Really all over the place. Mouthfeel is light bodied and a tad creamy. The carbonation stings a bit, but that may have been enhanced by the pepper.

Over all I'm not that impressed bt the style.

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

650 ML copped for $5.99 from Oak Tree in South Plainfield... been waiting a long time to sample this one... the chipotle essence had long piqued my interest, so I decided to give this one a try... Pours an amber, copper hue with a minimal frothy head that soon dissipated... smell was very clear, crisp, and clean with a slight spice essence that included a delicate balance of malts, hops, and caramel... the chipotle flavor was not as noticeable as I had been anticipating... a slight spice taste is subtely noticeable, but not at all overwhelming or too strong... a slight resemblance to an amber ale keeps striking my mind as I'm writing this... When I heard "chipotle", I was expecting a strong spice flavor, but I didn't find that here... instead, I found a strong amber, red, taste... I wasn't dissapointed by the flavor at all... this is a classic Rogue brew with the distinct quality flavor and taste usually associated with the brewery... I really liked this one, and if you're a fan of Rogue brews, you are sure to like this one... easily drinkable with a nice mouthfeel... Definitely recommended...

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Picked this one up from a new store in town, saw it advertised and had to try it.

22oz. poured a very good looking amber color with a nice head, although it didnt retain very well.

Aroma was lacking, i did pick up a slight pepper scent. When I tasted it I was blown away. Ive never had a beer like this before and at first i was a little put off by the flavor. You can really taste the chipotle flavor. The more i drank of this beer, the more i appreciated it. Overall, I probably wouldnt go out of my way for it, but its a good beer, and I would drink it again.

4.02/5  rDev +12.9%

Nice rich honey amber color with a good frothy whitish head. Smells of a touch of sweetness as it warms, but mostly of hops, and a slight bit of spicy heat, yet not a smoky chipotle spice smell at all. Taste is surprisingly smooth, hoppy, faintly sweet, a decent bit bitter, and perhaps the faintest bite of spice, but it might also just be flavor from the hops. There is a touch of sweetness in the aftertaste which is nice. It does have a warming effect in the chest area after it goes down also, but its definitely not a chipotle smell or smoked taste on the palate. Subtle but still nice, and even though I was expecting a touch more hearty spicy smokiness from the chipotle, It may have made for an overly spicy, unenjoyable beer. This may be the right spice level, but I wish it had a hint of smokiness still. Overall pretty well balanced, but maybe not what you'd expect from looking at the bottle. Good but was a bit pricy at $5.50 for a 22 oz bottle. I liked this beer more and more as I drank it

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales