Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,403 |  Reviews: 700
1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a very lightly hazy (almost clear) copper in color with some very light visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall light beige head that reduces to thick patches and a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Significant lacing is observed.

S: The aroma on this beer is surprisingly light - expected more of a punch from the peppers but they are there in a more subtle fashion. I get the smokiness and a little of the spiciness of the chipotle peppers along with some malt sweetness.

T: The flavor starts with some malt sweetness (just a hint of caramel to it) and then the flavor of the peppers comes in... There is a really pleasant smokiness of the chipotle pepper and just a touch of heat.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to high amounts of carbonation.

O: Different but drinkable, I would not call this beer sessionable but it is also not something I'm sorry that I chose (or disappointed to have). I would likely not get this beer again and I'm not sure there are really any beers in this style that I want for... The alcohol is not very noticeable and the pepper flavor is not overly hot.

3.64/5  rDev +2.2%

I've seen this beer around and decided to give it a shot finally. It sounded interesting at the least. I think this is probably the first "chile beer" I've ever tried.

This bomber poured a rich clear amber color with a thick white head that fades to almost nothing a bit quickly.

Aroma is big on the chipotle peppers. Hint of smoke and hops. and a mild malty sweetness.

Taste is where this thing gets really interesting. The smoky chipotle peppers really come through and is the most prominent flavor. Very little but balanced malt and hops hide but can be tasted. Very different from anything I've ever had. It's clean though.

Medium creamy body. Decent carbonation. A bit of spiciness but finishes clean and smooth and is pairing excellently with the mexican dish I am eating. It's different and definitely not something I'd drink every day but it was enjoyable.

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

A: A clear copper olor with a finger's width off-white head and lacing down the glass.

S: One of the most fragrant chile beers I've smelled. There is a toasted malt aroma with a strong smoked chipotle pepper. Very nice.

T: Continued from the aroma....A toasted malt flavor with smoked peppers. There is also a nice herbal hop to cut through the sweet malt and peppers. The finish is the best part, a little smoke, a little hop and a decent hot spice burn on the tongue.

M: Light body with ligh carbonation. A little dry in the finish. As mentioned before, there is a burn from the chipotle.

O: Good chile beer. Definitely recommend picking up and pairing with food.

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.62/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a thin creamy white head. Smokey pepper, malty aroma. Initial taste is very unusual and awkward but becomes very good. Warm, full bodied. Spicy finish. Very intriguing beer if you want to explore, but not something you would drink very often.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.34/5  rDev -6.2%

To be honest this is one of the first chile beers I've actually sat down to drink and give a good review to. I understand what makes a chile-styled brew good and what makes one bad, and I have to say I was *decently* impressed by this release but not blown away.

Appearance: The appearance lacks much head but what it does have in head it comes with a good quantity of. Solidly packed white foam packs about a quarter inch above my solid clear mug, while the color itself of the brew is very, *very* standard amber in nature. Not as much carbonation as you'd expect from a chile-styled brew but it's possibly the darker color of the amber that's throwing me off a bit. Decent appearance.

Smell: Least good of this beers aspects. I'm not quite sure why either. It seems like it should have a stronger spice scent to it, or at least something that gives it more presence in the nostrils. Decent 2 and a half.

Taste: Eh, it's pretty good. There is nothing special about it really. It hits you as a chile beer would and immediately enters your flood gates with an intense feeling of herbs and spices. It does taste chipotle - I guess - but I can't say this is the kind of chipotle I'd expect from some other top notch chipotle styled alcohols. Not bad... no copper after-taste to speak of (something I'm very big on if you've seen any other my reviews) but nothing to wow me. A Solid 3 or maybe a bit more.

Mouthfeel: This is where I actually think the beer shines. I have looked at no other reviews before reviewing this so I have no idea if people agree with me. It has a great sense of creaminess to it while throwing the spices into your life instantly. It feels good going down and the drinkability is high. A+ on this one.

Overall: Not my favorite Rogue in any way, but it's alright. I've had better spice-heavy beers and even a couple of other chipotle-themed ones. At the price tag this comes with, I wouldn't recommend it, but I wouldn't call it a bad beer either. I'm sure my review will be lower than the average since there are tons of Rogue fanatics out there, but I just wasn't feeling it too much this time.

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%