Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699
4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Wow! What a surprise this beer was. We had it at a tasting at our house. Right from the start you could smell the spices. Great color and body. The taste was impressive as well. Strong hop flavor along with citrus but then you can taste the chili flavor at the tip of your tongue. It has a little heat but it does not linger. We all enjoyed this beer and will be picking up another bottle soon. It would pair well with BBQ.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a light reddish-brown with a pillowy off-white head.

Smells like malts and smoky/roasted peppers. Some hint of hops is there, but the peppers drown it out.

Definite chipotle flavor cutting through the malts. Smokiness is more noticable than heat from the peppers. Caramel is prominent when the smokiness fades. The finish is somewhat drying, and the mouthfeel is quite thin.

It's hard to rate drinkability on this. It's definitely tasty and easy to drink, but I can't really think of a time when I'd want a chipotle-flavored beverage.

3.05/5  rDev -15%

Appearance out of the pour was a dark amber. Aroma held malt and smokey spice. Taste was typical ale with distinct smokey pepper. Unique beer but the smokey chipotle flavor paired with a typical ale turned out distinct yet not tastey. Praise Rogue for originality.

3.06/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours an amber/honey color, slightly cloudy, with a cream colored head. Aroma is mild with detectable caramel malt and honey notes. Taste is a bready malt with a hint of jalapeno that becomes more pronounced in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a medium body with medium carbonation. An interesting beer, but not one that I would keep on hand.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a light copper topped with a finger and a half of white head. Retention isn't great, but is nothing to complain about. Smell is faint but very distinct chipotle peppers. Taste - smooth mild and smoky chipotle pepper taste that is very genuine. The chipotle is the main taste in the beer, but is not in-your-face. There is a very thin malt sweetness at first that comes and then goes, accompanied by a carbonic bite and finally a bone dry semi-bitter finish, but no real hop flavor. High carbonation, bordering on fizzy, but never going over the top. I think this would go great with some BBQ.

3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

Had this at their location in San Francisco.

Looks great, smells just like Chipotle. So they nailed that on the head. I personally think it's a good beer and they really got what they were going for.

Way too spicy for my liking ,and I could barely finish the sampler me and my buddies got.

worth trying. i don't see this beer coming around again though.

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to tenderbranson69 for sharing this bomber. Poured chilled into a shaker pint.

A - Hazed deep amber w/ a 3/4inch cap of beige w/ good clinging action from the lace.

S - Big bold, smokey pepper aroma w/ a nice malt smell. More peppery than smokey in the nose w/ mild woody essence of hops

M - A sweet taste usurped by bite of red pepper heat. Malty texture cushions the effect of biting into a chipotle, the finish is peppery(literally). Moderately full carbonation w/ a nice warming feeling as it slides down the throat with light smoothness. The mild hop bitterness and subtle sweetness really complements the zip of chile

T - The taste is like peppers with a smokey edge and smooth creamy, slight toasted malt flavor underneath the pepper heat. A nice mild hop taste is not distracting from the mild chipotle flavor of the ale and is used judiciously. The pepper's spiciness is not the the only thing you taste - you actually get the earthy vegetal notes of the pepper in the beer which is important. Each sip of this lets you get a taste of malt, pepper, smoke and the malt is there to catch it and protect from overly peppery beer land

D - A great beer but not one I would drink repeatedly. I would consider this good with corn soup or mac and cheese since I like Tabasco chipotle with pasta and cheese. A well brewed chile beer proving it can be made without dwarfing the taste of the beer and doesn't mask the ale's taste. I found this to nice when blended with the 10,000 brew at EBF and with Stone's Bitter Oatmeal chocolate stout

2.98/5  rDev -17%

Picked this up with an assortment of other Rogue ales locally.

Pours out into an orange-reddish color with moderate head. Smells faintly of smoke and peppers. Taste is of some smoke, with the slow burn of some mild hot peppers that lasts quite a while. Overall, quote light, and not as overwhelming as some chili ales I have sampled, but the burn lasts longer than I would expect. I found myself nursing this over a long period of time, much longer than I would have had something similar without the peppers.

1.92/5  rDev -46.5%

Pours a solid amber color with a sticky, white head that stays for a good long while. It smells like someone poured some kind of chili powder into a stock ale. Odd to say the least. The peppery sensation sits in the nose, but isn't strong enough to make me sneeze or anything. The Chipotle taste isn't as powerful as I would have originally thought. Instead, it sits in the mouth long after all of the other flavors have passed, burning slightly...more like pepper than anything else. As for the other flavors, there are some pretty decent hop notes that bitter the whole thing up, but they lose out to the peppered flavor.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance -When I poured it into my pint glass it appeared to have a copper color to it and displayed a decent size cream colored head.

Smell - Slight smoke and pepper smell to my nose.

Taste - To my palate it had a slight spice beginning which continued into the finish. Hints of pepper/jalapeño/smoke.

Mouth feel - Smooth start with a carbonated finish (may be the spices).

Drinkability - I liked this beer overall, but I like spicy foods. I actually enjoyed this while eating food that had been smoked all day, which could have prepared my taste buds for it.

1.96/5  rDev -45.4%

A- dark brown with some amber pushing through at the sides. Nice fluffy head.

S- peppery slightly yeasty.

T- Awful. I really didn't expect this from Rogue as I love most of their beers. Almost no chipotle but way too much black pepper. couldn't pick out much because the black pepper was just too overwhelming.

M- Thin not much else because this was definitely a beer pour.

I have a good amount of experience using this pepper both whole and in powder form and let me tell you the flavor just wasn't there. I am very disappointed

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured with some foamy off white head that dissipated to a thin layer leaving some lacing at the top of my glass. The beer is a pretty translucent orange gold.

Smell: Roasted malt, roasted spicy pepper, very small amount of caramel sweetness

Taste: Roasted malt, some hop bitterness, roasted pepper, small spicy pepper flavor, then finishes with a small sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Starts with some carbonation, medium bodied, small tingle from the bit of hops, then turns to a spice tingle. Mouth gets hot for a moment then finishes smooth.

Overall: Very easy to drink, the spicy pepper aspect is pretty light so most people will enjoy this beer. Nice sweetness to balance the spiciness. I could easily have a couple of these, especially while eating some good mexican food.

3.07/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass

A - Cloudy, light orange color. Nice head about 2 fingers high with decent retention.

S - Smell is almost all chipotle, spicy with a faint hint of malt in the background.

T - Very interesting, lingering spice followed by a light malt a very light hop character

M - Dry, medium carbonation. Kind of feels like its leaving a coating on my mouth

D - This is definitely not a beer I'd drink on a regular basis but as an occasional oddity its not bad. I found the taste to be very interesting although not that refreshing and it definitely did not leave me wanting more. I had it with steak tacos which turned out to be a great pairing. I'll probably drink this again but not in the near future.

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was my first effort at chili beers and I'm not sure I can handle the style but I'll try to rate it for what it is.

A- Clear amber with a thick head nice retention and good lacing. Pretty anyway.

S- Malt and smoke then the pepper. Quite spicy on the nose. Even just a little sweetness.

T- Doesn't burn too bad actually. I think the point isn't just the hotness but peppers add a certain flavor of there own. You taste the malt first and then it's smoky like a porter. Then the spiciness kicks in. There's also yeast and I think a little citrus hops flavor on the end. Balance is impressive actually.

M- Clean and crisp medium body.

D- If you can handle the heat then go ahead and hit a few of these.

3.28/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance - Pours a bright, clear amber with a thick 2-inch head. Minimal lacing.
Smell - Smokey chipotle dominates.
Taste - Starts out spicy, mellows with a very faint hint of toasty malt before developing much more heat and finishing with an intense, peppery bite.
Mouthfeel - Medium to full-bodied with fine, moderate carbonation.
Drinkability - Too spicy to be sessionable.
Overall - A cool experiment and definitely something to try, but too overpowering. Not something I see myself having again.

4.02/5  rDev +12%

poured a fairly deep copper with a nice head and lacing galore.
this beer was unique for sure. the nose was smokey, spicy but not from the hops. the jalapenos actually came through the smoked malt .
taste was again nice, different than any beer I had ever had. Initial hit of roasted malts, but smoked. Hints of peet and the telltale jalapeno spice. Slight in the taste, but you could feel the lingering burn on the back of the palate.
I really enjoyed this one.

3.52/5  rDev -1.9%

A: poured from a bomber into a pint glass. Bright copper with a small white head.

S: smoky, yeasty, faint floral hops

T: very spicy! (and I'm usually someone who taunts people who can't handle spice) Bright and forward but still smoky. No appreciable hops taste. Very interesting, if not what I'd call delicious.

M: quite bubbly despite lack of head, thin feel. Clean, almost dry finish.

D: glad I had it, but hard to imagine ever drinking more than 1 of these. Glad I could share the bomber.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%

Reviewed 3/15/2009 (bottle):

Pours a very golden body, big creamy foamy head, diminishing. Smokey hoppy aroma, not quite cigarette but close, not ashy. Smokey, malty taste, more chipotley now. Not sweet, not hoppy. Clean aftertaste. The smoke is subtle, would go well w/bbq, or any grilled meat.

2.42/5  rDev -32.6%

A: copper with pretty good sized head

S: a little smokey and spicy with a bit of hop aroma

T: didn't work for me. I was really curious about this when I saw it but felt the smokey chipotle pepper was a little too overpowering to have a 22 on your own

M: average for an almost reddish ale

D:just too much heat. I love good spicy food and hoped this would be a great combination but it just seemed a little too one dimensional to me

I would say it's an interesting beer to try, but best to have a few friends around to taste with you as I couldn't do a whole 22 by myself

2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible. It wasn't to enjoyable.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Brilliantly clear dark amber with a moderate sized off-white head.

A- Malty aroma with light pepper and smoke.

T- The pepper is far from overpowering and took a few sips before any sort of pepper heat developed. It was a light heat sensation.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, very smooth drinking beer.

D- Very drinkable pepper beer. The chipotle was far from overpowering and could have been increased without being offensive.

1.18/5  rDev -67.1%

I love Rogue beers and I really like spicy food, but felt that this beer was just awful. It was too hot and actually tasted like Chipotle, or like it had to be spiced with jalapeno. I had it on tap and had to force myself to drink this beer like I was back in rugby hazing. I'd rather have a tequila shot, and I hate tequila.

3.64/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked up a bomber of this for a friend and myself who enjoy hot food and peppers.

Poured a orangish amber with a thin finger of very light green head. Head retention is poor, and it reduced itself to edges in only a minute. Lacing is mild.

Smell is interesting. Mild pepper and smoke with a very light malt.

Taste is a strong sweet hop, followed suit by a sour smoked pepper flavor. Finish is a bit strong, and leaves a mild heat in the back of your mouth.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light bodied, feels watered down a bit and I wish the pepper was strong.

My overall impression of this is that its a novelty beer. I'd drink it again for sure but because of the hop and spice mix, something I know doesn't mix well with alot of foods, I'd have a hard time pairing it, and would limit it to rare occasions when I'd want an odd beer out.

3.87/5  rDev +7.8%

Had this on tap at the Rogue public house in Portland.

Pours a nice darkish golden color with a decent head.

Smell is a combination of sweet malt, smoke, tobacco and chili pepper.

Taste is quite unique. First sip is a tad sweet, nothing too crazy followed by steady warming. The smokiness of the chipotle becomes more and more noticeable. Very interesting and quite drinkable and balanced.

YOu know what you're getting yourself into when you order a Chipotle Ale and this one was quite good. I'd definitely order it again but I'd need some time in between...

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a- nice clear amber color with lots of tiny bubbles. a small receding white head. minimal lacing.

s- appley hops, some caramel malt, fresh fruit & very slight alcohol.

t- upfront fruity hops balanced with malt & a noticeable accent of chili pepper. finish is all bread dough & sweetness. very well-balanced but ends up a bit bland & lifeless after a while.

m- crisp, medium body, ample carbonation. quite smooth, & seems like they got this exactly where they wanted it.

I can imagine this pairing nicely with a lot of American & Mexican cuisine. I would maybe like a little more hop presence & a little less malt in a beer like this, as the malts just end up stale and boring to me. Still, an easy drinking good beer to pair with meals in the summer.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales