Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699
3.45/5  rDev -3.9%

22oz bottle purchased at McKinnon's. Pours a slightly hazy red body with a quarter inch of off-white head. Smells predominantly like chipotle peppers. Chipotle pepper dominates the flavor too, a bit of a sweetness with fruit, caramel and cinnamon-like notes and a subtle hotness toward the finish. Light to medium in body with ample carbonation. Fairly drinkable, though the subtle hotness gets to me after a while. An interesting beer for sure - never had a chile beer before and I can't say I think I'll be a fan of the style. Glad to have tried it, well worth the try, but I don't foresee picking this one up again...

3.41/5  rDev -5%

Bomber from Total Wine

A - Cloudy amber, light fluffy burst of head that thins out. Decent lacing.

S - Roasted malts, carmal, slight piney and floral hop notes.

T - Sweet floral hops, sweet roasted carmel malts. Not much chipoltle flavor, just a little bitter burn and zing on the finnish.

M - Medium body, ample carbs. Little bitter zing that lingers.

D - No real stand out chilie flavors, and the bitter zing was not welcoming for large sips.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

This beer is my 2nd chile beer. My first was DFH Theobroma, which, while a great beer, is light on the chilies. Poured from 22oz bomber.

A- Nice caramel color with a decent head. Pours well.

S- Smoke, black pepper. Mild malts.

T- Tastes amazing. Smoky at first, good hop crispness. After the swallow, about 3 seconds later, the chilies make themselves known. T-A-S-T-Y! Wow! I love this beer. Amazing take on the smoked lager/chilie beer. This beer is perfectly spiced. Not too strong, but enough to notice. Very good. Going to make this a staple brew in my collection.

M- Great. Crisp, smoky, hot and spicy.

D- Moderate to moderately high. Couldn't drink more than 2 or 3, but goes down so easily paired with some spicy food. This beer is amazing with some Mexican or spicy Italian cuisine. A must-try.
I put this beer as a spin-off of the great flavors found in Schlenkerla's Marzen... something about smoky beers just does it for me.

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, reddish-brown in color, clear, medium carbonation

Smell: malt, caramel, and pepper

Taste: malt and caramel dominate the start, hops and pepper dominate the finish

Mouthfeel: smooth, medium body, moderate carbonation, you can feel some bite.

Drinkability: Very smooth for a chile beer. The balnce on this one is amazing with the hops, malt, and chiles all blending nicely. One, if not the best in the style that I have had that was not on tap. I will look for this again, but one bomber at a time is good enough.

3.54/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pretty rust/amber color with a full white head that settles into clumps.

S: Bready-yeast background is there, and the hops are noticeable as well. Faint smokeyness. Nothing about the aroma is particularly strong or distinctive. Malt becomes more apparent with warming.

T: smoked jalapeno flavors enhance the basic amber ale malt flavor nicely. Smooth transition from smoke and pepper to sweet malt.

M: a little thin feeling as you would expect, and carbonated about right. Pepper and alcohol work together to give the mouth a little zing.

D: I enjoyed the first 12oz. but after that, my tastebuds really didn't get much deeper than the smokey flavors. I appreciate this as something different and would drink it again, but it will not be often. This is a beer that would really benefit from the right food pairing.

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a murky light gold with a large foamy off-white head on top. Excellent retention; also leaves plenty of sticky globs of lace all over the glass. Smells spicy and slightly roasted. Some slight floral hops in the nose as well.

The mouth is crisp, but slightly wetter than I'd prefer. Decent amount of carbonation. This is really different. This is my first of the Chili beers. I can't place the hot spice right off, it's more of a harsh bitter quality. But as I continue to drink this the spicy jalepenos come out in a big way! Nice spicy aftertaste. This beer is not for the weak. It's different, it's bold, and, I must say, it's pretty dang good.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

650mL bottle with no freshness date (come on, Rogue, you silkscreen these beautiful labels on all your bombers, put a freakin' bottled-on date up!) poured into pint glass.

Pours a translucent hazy rusted orange with a surprisingly small head that dissipates quickly. I'm not used to this from a Rogue product.

Aroma is assertively smoky, with a hint of citrus hops.

Taste is malt-forward up front, with some bready and caramel flavours, subdued mind you, but there, with a sweet hint of light citrus (sweetened grapefruit?). The smoke takes over and lingers with some chipotle heat.

Mouthfeel is light to medium body with some sparkle from the carbonation.

If you like chipotle and smoke a lot, you'll probably find this drinkable. Personally, I found it overpowered the more pleasant flavours here. I only drank about half the bottle, saving the rest for cooking.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Mostly clear rusty orange color with a tall, lumpy head of pure white foam. Some mild smokiness in the nose over a nice balance of malt and hops. Mellow bready yeast and slight grassy hops. The flavor opens with a pleasant malty sweetness...very Rogue tasting of course. Seems like a fairly simple well-balanced ale with just a bit of smokiness. The hops add just enough flavor with some lingering grassiness. Pretty clean overall and medium bodied with prickly carbonation.

You can tell peppers were used, but mostly in the aftertaste and a bit of warmth in the throat. Typical Rogue quality...solid.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Clear auburn brew underneath an lightly peach-yellow tinted head. Head is large and fluffy initially and promptly fades to an 1/8," edged by clumpy lace piles. Aroma is like smoked earth mixed with root veggies, butterscotch, musky floral, caramel, and dank leather. Taste has a touch of prickly spice (nothing comparable to eating fresh, hot jalapeños), among more earthy, smoky, and even slightly meaty flavors. A bit of sour acidity is interesting as it offsets the slick, slippery malts. Body is moderate in size and texture is pleasant and simple. The jalapeño adds an enjoyable warming quality. On yet another occasion, I am discovering that hot peppers enhance alcoholic beverages. Easy to drink, refreshing and roasty.

This would probably be good with some Mexican food.

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

Picked this beer up as a fathers day gift along with a few other brew. I lucky got to split this with my dad.

Appearance: Poured brown, very thin head minimal lacing..

Smell: Smoked, chipotle and a certain sweetness i cant place

Taste: As with smell its smoke, a slight pepper bite on the first sip
with a lingering heat that is getting hotter as i drink it.

Mouthfeel: full bodied

Drinkability: only one i will drink probably couldn't finish a bomber by myself

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.5 A: Super clear medium orange/amber color. Two inches of frothy off-white head with good retention and good lacing too.

4.0 S: Peppers absolutely dominate the aroma. I could very well be smelling a burrito. Perfect grade for originality, but there could be some beer-like aspects to the smell as well. Eh, I suppose there is some graininess to it.

4.0 T: This is one crazy ass beer, but I must say I like it. First off, I can't rate this the way I would a regular beer. The spicy hotness to it overrides any chance of tasting a malt or hop profile properly. It would appear to have a run of the mill slightly nutty, but tasty amber ale backbone. The peppers aren't overwhelming at all, but they do screw up the palate by adding a healthy bit of heat.

4.0 M: Medium body. Good carbonation. Pretty good, but nothing special.

3.5 D: One is plenty, but it's a good ride.

3.91/5  rDev +8.9%

Dark gold or light copper/orange in color. Heavy and frothy foam head when poured into a glass. The nose is pretty standard and does nothing to reveal the chipotle. The attack of the beer is refreshing and clean. There is definitely some zip to the flavor that actually drinks similarly to many hoppy beers. The finish is pretty clean. Where is the chipotle you might ask? Good question. After taking a sip you have to be patient and let it develop a little bit in your mouth. It is very subtle and comes to the back of the mouth and tongue well after the liquid has gone down your throat. This beer rewards the patient beer drinker. While I certainly enjoyed this beer, it is probably more the novelty than the actual quality. Perhaps novelty adds to quality however. I just did my best to call the numbers as I saw them.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

This is a very interesting beer. I thought the pepper was really balanced but a lot of the people who tried it with me thought otherwise. The beer is a nice amber color with a fluffy off white head and great lacing. The smell is what's the most odd about this beer to me. It smelled a lot like beer, but it smelled almost like something had gone wrong in the process. It didn't smell bad, it just smelled different. I will attribute that to the chipotle peppers. The taste is great though, with nice caramel overtones and not a whole lot of smokiness or stiff spicy flavor. It's in the finish where the chipotle peppers shine... instead of an alcohol burn on the way down you get a really nice warming sensation from the presence of the peppers. This would be a great beer on a cold winter night. The mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing considering the peppers. Definitely not a beer you'll be having more than two of in one evening.

3.64/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this before the poker game yesterday. Poured a hazy orange amber color with thick foamy white head, almost like what cooking caramel looks like. Plenty of lacing. Smelled of yeast and a little pepper. Tasted of malts, a dash of hops, with a nice peppery kick. Wow! Incredibly smooth, considering the pepper. No more than two, though.

pours amber orange with a 1 finger head that leaves spotted lacing

smell like an amber with sweet malts ad floral hops but the hops do not come all the way through because of the smokey and spicey peppers take over -its different but what you would want i think in a chile beer

taste is pretty much like the smell and the base taste like most rogue beers i have had(its good but you know its a rogue) - while the initial taste might not be spicey just wait 10-20 seconds after you sip and you will feel the pepper burn in your chest throat mouth. this beer might be the end of me but i continue to drink it

mouthfeel is smooth which how it should be - if this beer had much carbonation it work hurt to drink - the more i drink the more i fire burns in my belly

drinkability is good but now that the person i split this one would not drink more the a few oz's 1 bomber will be all i can handle

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Rogue Chipotle Ale is a hazy amber beer with a fluffy yellow head that has great retention. It smells like a home brew. There are green, grassy notes in the nose, but I'm not picking up any pepper. It has a medium-light body that's smooth and creamy with a clean, dry finish. There's a roasted malt flavor up front and then the taste of smoky chipotle kicks in. There's not much spice, but plenty of flavor. It's well balanced and very drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

A hazy (very hazy, more than anticipated) amber brew, with some lightly red notes. Cream colored head, a fairly good amount. Retention is "meh," not bad. Fairly good drooping lacing.

Caramel malt. Smoke quality. Chipotle comes through, sticks to the nostrils and is noticeable on the roof of my mouth from the aroma alone.

Light, sweet malts up front. Biscuit. Crispened up by the chipotle. Smokey, spicy flavors stick around on the palate.

Slightly chewy feel. A good amount of carbonation. A nicely crisp, drinkable brew. A good ale with a bit of complex spice and smoke added.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an oversize wine glass.

A-Deep to mediumm amber, slightly veiled, with a creamy eggshell head that settles rapidly.

S-Malts, and spice...I'm smelling a bit of smoke as well, and behold, the label tells me it is brewed with smoked chipolte....very interesting.

T-Malty, then the chipolte hits you....wow, this is very interesting, very unusual, and I'm liking it. If you like smoked spiced food, you may like this. If not, then probably not. Seems to me that this would be a great barbecue picnic beer. I paired mine with roast chicken.

M-Well balanced overall, with medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

D-Well, I like this well enough, but frankly, one is enough for now. Will seek it out again.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a nice dark hazy amber with a nice thick off-white head. Nice lacing, good retention.

Smells like chipotle peppers, no surprise there. Smokey smell also, a slight hop aroma also. This smells wonderful.

Tastes like chipotle peppers, very overpowering, basically the only thing you can taste. A slight hop bitterness, and a nice spicey/burning sensation at the back of my throat for an aftertaste, wow!

Spicey and smooth mouthfeel, considering that it burns as you drink it, its not very drinkable, but I like spicy food, so this isn't that bad to me! What a very unique beer, you either love it or hate it, everyone should try this at least once!

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It looks oddly caramel. Not that I expected a jalepeno-green from a chipotle beer, but it looks more like what I'd expect from a Tecate or something. The head is different--very small, almost interconnected bubbles a millimeter in depth with lasting power. As the beer sits, so does the head. Though I'm unsure what exactly I expected, it's not it; its appearance, however, has piqued my curiousity.

Oh, I can smell the pepper--dried jalepenos. It has an earthen smokiness as well. It's honestly unlike any beer I've ever smelled. In stark contrast to the look, it smells as it's supposed to smell. Interestingly, I smell basically no malts, no barley, no hops...nothing like that. If I weren't looking right at the beer, I think I'd tell you it was an open bag of dried jalepenos. Perhaps now the beverage has peaked my curiosity.

Wow, it's really smoky. I taste the earthen smokiness I alluded to more than I taste anything peppery. I know chipoltes are dried jalepenos, and I guess these have been dried by smoking. If I smoked cigarettes, I'd have one. I really can't distinguish smoked peppers from smoked wood chips. I think the peppers are distinctive in the smell, but they're missing from the taste. That's a little disappointing, particularly for a chile beer (as it's listed--I presume BA has a "smoked beers" category). Though I bought the beverage to go with Mexican food, I think it could just as easily accompany NC barbecue. It's a neat beer, but I wish there were more pepper to the taste. Spice is absent.

Maybe in the mouthfeel I get more of that for which I'm looking. As I allow the beverage to rest full in my mouth, I detect something of a pepper. It's certainly not spicy like eating jalepenos, but somewhere in between the chemical digestion in my mouth and the aftertaste swallow in my throat I detect the origin of its name. Still, I wish it were easier.

I realize it's a niche beer and it probably lacks favor with the masses, but I wish it brought even more chipolte. I want to taste it! It's a pleasant beer, a fairly easy-drinking one. Still (and here I go again), I wonder what I'd have if DFH did a chipolte ale. I can't help but think I'd taste the pepper in that one! Until then, I think this is a neat beverage worth trying, and I'd pick it up again to complement my comida de mexicana. O mi bbq!

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

Brown bomber poured into a mug.

A: Pours a beautiful amber with crimson center that just makes you stop to admire. The head is huge, then settles down to half a finger with perfect lacing. This is the best "looking" beer I think I've ever seen.

S: Smokey pepper as advertised with a faint sweetness from the malts. But the overwhelming aroma for me, tobacco. I just couldn't stop thinking chewing tobacco every time i got it close to my honker.

T/M: Rich and smooth. This is a fantastic beer. I was weary of a Chile Beer, but it delivers. Smokey, a mild dose of hops, a touch of spice in the back, and a clean finish. Really well done.

I'm thinking grilled sausages on summer day. Reckon!

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured a golden amber color with a once inch fluffy white head. Good retention and lacing during the drinking period. A lot of visible carbonation.

Aroma of cinnamon sugar, floral, citrus hops, and sweet malts. Didn't catch much spiciness in the nose.

Taste was a smooth maltiness throughout with a big astringent and grapefruit zing in the middle and finish of the drink. Again, not much heat from the chipotle, actually a little bit disappointing.

This brew had a medium-full bodied feel to it with a decent amount of carbonation and a pleasant aftertaste. Perhaps a tad bit of spice, I wouldn't call it a chile powder flavor, but the grapefruit and astringency mellow out and leave a pleasing flavor on the palate.

Good drinkability on this brew. Decent flavor; interesting although not as powerful as I would have liked (I wasn't asking to breathe fire or anything). I will probably try this beer again just because it has such an interesting feel to it.

3.52/5  rDev -1.9%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy dark amber / brown color with a short lived bubbly head that does leave some lacing on the glass.

S - Malt dominates: dark fruit and caramel. Earthy hops.

T - Sweet and tangy. Flavor follows the aroma profile. The chipotle seems to add minimal flavor, but it leaves a nice warm sensation in the throat well after the swallow.

M - Moderate body, tangy bite on the tongue, but finishes smooth.

D - Drinkable. I would not drink a bunch, but for something novel occasionally it is good.

Overall - About what I expected as the beer matches what is advertised on the label well.

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

A - Poured into a Rougue pint glass a dark orange with a red hue. Slightly hazy. A fluffy 2 centimetre off white head hangs around for a while. A bit of lacing is left down the glass.
S - Caramel and bready malt notes, a bit of a floral hint and light smokey notes.
T - Initially much like the smell but then the smokey chipotle flavour comes through. Caramel, bready maltiness followed by a smokey chile flavour. The pepper hottness comes into full effect at the end and actually builds over time.
M - Light to medium bodied with a medium to high carbonation.
D - While it's probably the best out of the few chile beers I've had it's a struggle to get through a whole pint. Nothing wrong with the beer but not something I'll be buying again. Maybe good for a Mole black and tan with Rogue Chocolate Stout?

3.34/5  rDev -7%

Appears a semi-transparent, dark copper with a fluffy, light tan head that quickly fades into a mild cap. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of spicy hot pepper up front with a mild smokiness and a sugary, bready backbone that keeps this beer interesting.
Taste is of yeasty bread, hoppy spiciness, and citrus, along with a touch of a smokey, peppery heat flavor.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation that makes the sugary sweet malt come through the heat barrier.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales