Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,401 |  Reviews: 698

3.36/5  rDev -6.4%

I really enjoyed this beer although I will admit I was hoping for more heat. Poured into a pint glass I immediately noticed the smoked profile of the peppers. This also played alot into the silky mouthfeel as the beer warmed. This is my first review so please bear with me. Cheers.

2.98/5  rDev -17%

Pours out a copper color. Head ends up pretty thin. Can definitely pick up the chipotles in the aroma. Taste is quite smokey and peppery. Has some hops but not as much as other Rogues. Maybe that's what is missing, I think this beer would go well with a lot of foods, especially with American summertime cuisine. Right now my tastebuds are looking for something to pair it with...feels a little bit oily in my mouth. Perhaps I may revisit this one when I can eat something with it.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA.

Appearance: Pours a reddish mahogany, with a small amount of persistent head and plenty of lacing.

Smell: Faint, in general, with hints of smoke and spice, as well as some sweet malty notes.

Taste: I ate nachos right before having this beer, and I'm now regretting it--tastes slightly hot, VERY peppery. The jalepeno taste is not particularly overpowering, but was a little too much at that point for me.

Mouthfeel: Interesting. Very light and smooth, but ends with a kick with the peppers, which are primarily present as an aftertaste. The lower level of carbonation works really well to compliment the spices--I have a feeling that much more would have just made it far too fizzy.

Drinkability: Not too great for this one. To be fair, I was a little tired of the spicy taste already, but I don't think it would be easy to drink regardless. It's not a bad beer--in fact, it's a pretty interesting one--but it's more of a novelty than anything I think I'd actively seek out again. I just feel like something's missing...

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

3.64/5  rDev +1.4%

Had this before the poker game yesterday. Poured a hazy orange amber color with thick foamy white head, almost like what cooking caramel looks like. Plenty of lacing. Smelled of yeast and a little pepper. Tasted of malts, a dash of hops, with a nice peppery kick. Wow! Incredibly smooth, considering the pepper. No more than two, though.

3.16/5  rDev -12%

I had heard people had been waiting for this brew to show up at the market, and so I grabbed a bottle before I thought it might be gone. Average price for a 22 and fits right into Rogue's library nicely. Don't think I've had anything similar by then.

Being a smokey fan, I was slightly pleased with the notes that came across at first, lingering long enough to let the rest of the brew come through. Would rather taste the initial smokey, peppery flavor that it starts out with than what follows.

A- one of the nicest things about this beer. Great head that sticks around for a while. Light amber color with a slight red hue, and very clear and clean.

S- Nothing really there. Slight hoppy aroma. I was expecting some smokey notes or something to give away what I was in for, but this beer is kinda empty on the nose.

T- slightly bitter running throughout with a and a good amount of smokey, peppery flavor notes. Wish there was a bit more of everything, so I'd have to say it fell a little flat in this category.
There is a nice caramel

M- kinda neutral and touched the bitter buds for a second and then went blank. It does coat the mouth nicely, so the flavor does seem a bit rounder, but still lacking that extra something that would put it in another league.

After chomping on the heavy-hitting Habanero Sculpin and the smooth, but smokey Stoic, this one just falls short of being an excellent beer. Definitely was worth tasting, but am gonna keep looking.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Being a lover of spicy foods, I had to try this one out.

A- transparent orange/amber with two fingers of off-white head that left moderate lacing.

S- not very potent, but the peppers were clearly at the forefront with some malt in the background.

T- mainly tasting of mild chipotle peppers, not unlike most chipotle sauces/pastes. Not spicy at all, but pretty flavorful.

M- fairly light-bodied with mild carbonation.

D- pretty smooth for the most part, not hard to down by any means.

It kind of reminded me of Fat Tire with Chipotle flavor added, but I recommend this to anyone willing to try anything new, especially if they like Southwestern cuisine. I may pair this with some Mexican food very soon to get another perspective on it.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

Appearance: Real nice at first. Copper colored with a thick 1 finger head. Sadly, the head just dissipates into nothing. It loses some points for that

Smell: Sweet malts....no sign of the chipotle peppers

Taste: Crisp carbonation gives way to sweet malts and a wonderfully bitter hop finsih. As the hop flavor faded I was introduced to a smoky dry chipotle pepper taste....too bad it was subtle as hell. On the bottle it says that the flavor is subtle but I was still expecting more. Despite not having a huge chipotle pepper taste, this beer is still a high quality ale.

Mouthfeel: Kinda thin and alil watery...nothing special.

Drinkability: Would be good with an angus burger.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Wow! What a surprise this beer was. We had it at a tasting at our house. Right from the start you could smell the spices. Great color and body. The taste was impressive as well. Strong hop flavor along with citrus but then you can taste the chili flavor at the tip of your tongue. It has a little heat but it does not linger. We all enjoyed this beer and will be picking up another bottle soon. It would pair well with BBQ.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%