Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,403 |  Reviews: 700
1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

Pour from a 22 ouncer in to a pint glass.

This poured an amber color with a decent white head that dissipated into a thin veneer of foam and left a trail of lace down the side of the glass.

The smell is of hops and maybe a bit of pepper. Possibly a bit of malt, although that is debatable.

Taste is hoppy and the backtaste is peppery. I really like the warm feel that goes down as I swallow the beer. I would personally like the peppery taste to be more at the fore while it was in my mouth, but maybe I just had an older brew.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, with a bite. It is a very drinkable beer, although I would prefer something that is a bit spicier.

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

A - Amber to brown in color with a 1 finger head. Decent retention and okay lacing.

S - There is spicy pepper and also a smoky aroma. Seems like it is all muddled together to smell really nice.

T - A strangley sweet smokeyness from the peppers with a hole lot of biscuity malts. Only mildly spicy but that is about all that I would want from a pepper beer.

M - Medium bodied and the good carbonation kind of adds a little tingle to the mild spiciness.

D - This beer is strangely beautiful. First pepper beer that i've tried and me likey.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

A - poured from a 650ml bottle into a weizen glass. It pours clear ruddy gold. The head is white and leaves good lacing.

S - oily pepper skin, olive oil, honey

T - malt, light pepper flavor (reminds me of the skin of a pepper), lots of smoke and a hop/pepper finish

M - medium body, medium carbonation and a clean finish

D - nice integration of peppers here. There are no off-putting flavors or funkiness.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%

22oz bomber, bought on my trip to Vegas, and being eaten with cold, leftover Uno deep dish pizza (which is pretty good)

Pours a nice amber color like a good amber ale. Not much head to go around. Doesn't last long either but sticks a little bit.

Smell kind of reminds me of smoked beer with a touch of mexican food. Pretty good, and hopefully a good choice with this pizza.

The taste resembles a rauchbier that I once tried although not quite as smoky. Somewhat spicy but not overpowering. You still notice the hop bitterness at the end and I catch the malts in the aftertaste to let you remember this is beer.

The moderate carbonation combined with the spice make the mouthfeel a bit rougher than most, but not as much as you might think. The spice sticks on the back a bit.

I don't know how drinkable this would be as a session brew, but it would likely go with a good, spicy meal a helluva lot better than Corona.

3.49/5  rDev -2%

A gimmick I suppose, but actually quite delicious. A nice ale taste underneath, just the right amount of bitterness, and the chili taste is in fact, really, really good, and goes well with the beer. There is a nice bite from the pepper, but nothing excessive.

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

A - Slight head that disappeared to ice tea foam. Cloudy orange ice tea color
S - Sweet malt. Not as much chipotle smell as I was expecting. Slight pleasant leather that turned into unpleasant medicated bandade.
Taste is dominated by smokey chipoltle. Smoke is of mild rauchbier. Starts sweet end semi dry. Nice linger.
M - Adequate
O - Not super impressed by this one. The smoke was nice but the bandaid really killed it for me. Probably won't get this again, and can really recommend it in good conscience.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Split with bbb099 on 12/17/10

A: A very cloudy amber with a nice, off-white, frothy head that leaves a nice residue on the glass as it subsides.

S: A pleasing mix of spices and hops, with a bit of that smoky chipotle flavor mixed with the malt base.

T: The first taste isn't anything too special, light hops and malt, but it finishes very strongly. The chipotle emerges from the flavor and dominates the aftertaste. Much less abrasive than I thought it might be.

M: Good. The carbonation was appropriate for the different flavor, but the aftertaste was enough to leave a slightly disconcerting feeling in the mouth.

D: Very drinkable, provided that you have food. It would go very well with a meal, but to drink a whole 22oz bottle in one sitting by yourself would be a little bit rough. All in all, quite good.

2.84/5  rDev -20.2%

Appearance - A beautiful rich amber. A decent amount of head - looks pretty carbonated. 4.0/5.0

Smell - You can get a hint of the pepper, but that's all - just a hint. The malt dominates the nose. I really was hoping for a slightly more dominate chipotle smell, but didn't get it. - 2.5/5.0

Taste - Mostly malt, and kinda sweet. You can detect a slight pepper burn, but it's really mild. For a chile beer, I expect a stronger flavor than what I got. The Sierra Blanca Pancho Verde is on the other end of the spectrum, being an almost overly strong green chile taste. Some smoke as well. - 3.0/5.0

Feel - Coats the mouth well, with a bit of pepperly aftertaste. 4.0/5.0

Drinkability - Given the style, I'll pass on it. While I enjoyed it, it's not what I would have expected from a beer whose style is focused on the chile. 2.0/5.0

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

Rogues Chipotle Ale --- Great looking in the glass, amber orange color with a nice fluffy head. I didn't notice a distinct smell, and very little smokiness. Good malt with no hop flavor, it was smooth and left a little burn at the end. Taco salad i paired with it brought out the chipotle. Abv 5.50
I would buy it again.

4.12/5  rDev +15.7%

This beer is quite interesting. Pours deep golden color with a nice white head and great lacing. Smells of fresh fruit, light malt, and spiciness. Tastes of cooked fruit, slightly roasted malt, and roasted peppers. the spiciness isn't overbearing, but does increase the more you drink. leaves a nice warm feeling in your mouth and throat. quite an experience!

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours hazy orange-brown. Good head, little bit of lacing.

Nothing stands out in particular in the aroma, mostly malty sweetness is noticable. Taste is up front maltiness. Sweet but with a small hopiness and smoky flavor following it up. The heat isn't that noticable but you can feel a bit of a bite in your throat after a few sips.

I didn't know what to expect coming into this beer, but it definitely wasn't bad. Not something I would revisit regularly, but worth a try at the least.

4.3/5  rDev +20.8%

FANTASTIC!!!

Slight peppery taste, medium carbonation. Honey colored. Very light lacing around the glass. Pleasure to drink. I wish I had another! Pepper taste lingers for a little bit but is never overpowering. One of my favorites from Rogue and one of the few that I don't look for hops flavor.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

22 ounce bomber poured into a pint glass.

Poured with a nice 1 1/2 finger white frothy head that reduced to a nice cap. Left lacing ring with each drink. Color was a hazy light orange.

I actually smelled and tasted more maltiness then pepper. I've had other chile beers that were more spicy and had a little more heat. With this beer you are getting more of the flavor and smoke of the chipotle, and not much of the pepper / heat. I was hoping and expecting for a little more.

Had a nice medium body and good carbonation. No hop presence and as mentioned before, the sweet maltiness shined through on this more than the chipotle.

Decent beer, but I probably wouldn't buy again.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there.

4.47/5  rDev +25.6%

Appearance is a translucent amber-orange with a huge tan head. The individual bubbles on the side of the glass look larger than usual. Gorgeous lacing as I drink it down.

The smell is smoky chipotle. It's overwhelming.

Taste is, you guessed it, smoky chipotle. I've had beer infused with hot peppers before and they were disgusting. This one is great. It's not hot, it just gives you the smoke and the flavor of the chipotle pepper. There's a sweet smooth malt flavor underneath the chipotle. I made some enchiladas the other day with chipotles in them and I can't wait to eat the one I'm warming, accompanied by this beer, as soon as I finish this review. I love chipotle peppers and I can't believe it works this well in a beer.

Nice thick creamy mouthfeel.

This stuff is awesome. I wish I could have one of these every time I have mexican food.

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

So, I decided to pick this up after trying a homebrewed chile beer a week or so ago and enjoying it. In fact this is a beer I never thought I would try. It poured a pale amber/medium orange color into my pint glass. Smells of sweet sweet malts, and hints of smoky chipotle peppers. Taste is more of the same, a rush of sweet malts, followed by a smoky chipotle pepper taste at the end. Not really spicy, but hints of spicyness. On a 1-10 scale on spicyness i'd rate this a 0.5. Drinkability actually isnt too bad on this, a nice addition for a mexican meal, or equally a decent pre-dinner beer. Quite enjoyable and recommended to all for at the very least a try of something new and different. I probably would have ranked it higher if they had used regular habanero or serrano peppers instead of chipotle peppers. In my opinion it would have been better without the smoke taste but thats just me.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Had a bomber of this earlier this evening and yeah, this was a pretty spicy brew. This is the first time I had tried anything of its kind and Rogue's always put out good stuff.

Appearance was a nice red/amber ale color with a nice head and excellent lacing. This stuff certainly clung to the sides of the glass and even after the head dissipated, the lacing still kept intact.

Smell was strong with hot peppers (naturally) and hops. For a spicy beer, this stuff certainly was spicy, but was a little overpowering over the smell of the ale.

Taste was really good. As an ale, it was delicious, but the hot peppers thrown into the mixture not only made it spicy and pleasant, it certainly made it much more bitter and pleasing.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, but not too great. While the pepper flavors still tingled, the rest of the stuff faded somewhat quickly.

Drinkability is pretty good however. For an experimental style beer, this is certainly one for the bitter tongues and hot sauce elite. Definitely not a bad Rogue brew at all.

4.32/5  rDev +21.3%

650ml bottle.

Appearance: Hazy, dirty amber colour. Slightly off white bubbly head receding to a foam, leaving long, irregular, sporadic streaks of lace.

Aroma: Smoky, spicy, sweet, background malt.

Taste: Munich malt, smoke, and a building spiciness leading to a burn at the back of the throat that lasts for up to a minute and then eases. The chipotle burn is pronounced enough to reward the drinker, but not over the top. There is a very gentle hop presence here which helps to balance the flavours; and also a restrained fruity sweetness from the added chipotle. One thing I really like about this offering from Rogue is that they do know, after all, how to brew a beer without loading it with their trademark huge hop assault. However, I can't help thinking that this beer needs a heavier malt profile to really stand out.

Mouthfeel: No more than medium bodied, crisp, easy to drink.

Drinkability: Great for the spice kick and smokiness, a definite winner with certain cuisines and just for a spice fix. It just needs a more assertive malt profile and a fuller body to be a true winner.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

This was an oddball beer choice that I made when I was in the mood for something "different". I poured it at cellar temperature into a pint glass.

The color was a reddish-orange, with a small head that quickly went away. Smell hinted at the smokey pepper flavor that was to come. It was actually fairly spicy, although not as much as a boilermaker spiked with Tobasco. The distinct smokey chipotle flavor was there, as well as a little hoppiness, too.

I enjoyed it, but it is not my usual beer experience. A style of its own, I think.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales