Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Reviews: 696 | Ratings: 1,396
4.2/5  rDev +17%

Presentation:
650mL bomber poured into a tulip glass to really capture those peppery aromas. No dates on the bottle.

Visual:
The body is a delicious ruby orange and clear as a crystal. It agitates well into a nice thick khaki head. Decent retention and some beautiful lacing. I'd give this a 5 if only the head stuck around a little longer.

Aroma:
Well balanced. Great earthy platform from the Willamette hops, along with a bready malt profile bragging of caramel sweet undertones. I won't lie, there is a hint of rubber band somewhere in the back, but it is not unpleasant - just unexpected. Soft pepper notes up front like pepperoni that fade into the unique chipotle twinge in the finish.

Taste:
The hops create a pleasant bittering that cleans the palate for the peppers to follow. Well done Rogue, that's planning ahead. Hearty malt profile that is subtle yet present; again, not stealing the show from the peppers, but making sure everything stays balanced. Medium bodied with a grainy mouthfeel, perfect for rustling those flavors up. Nice soft bittering aftertaste with a hint of spiciness.

Overall:
Job well done. I had a cajun pepper ale a while back that was way out of whack. It seemed that they made an ale, and just added peppers without thinking of how the two blend. Rogue, on the other hand, seemed to put a lot of thought into the final product with this brew. The level of intensity for each ingredient is balanced well with the others.
I could see this brew pairing well with chipotle based foods, but I would personally recommend not going that route. I would say, embrace this ales complexity with some nice pulled pork or rotisserie chicken. Think subtly sweet, like cornbread or bbq. This ale would be perfect for cooking southern recipes with.

Side note: I would let this brew sit out of your fridge for about 15-20 minutes before serving it. I had a glassful while it was cold, straight out of the fridge and it was okay. Once a half hour went by (with the bottle sitting in room temperature) and I had the second glass, the malt really shined. This immensely helps bring out those rich chipotle features.

Cheers!

2.96/5  rDev -17.5%

A- Copper with a finger of off white head

S- Could smell it as soon as I opened it. Smells strong of smocked meats, also getting caramel and roasted malts, some alcohol too.

T- Smokey and buttery; I get meaty and bbq flavors that are followed by some buttery and creamy flavors.

M- Light bodied; Watery and light but not crisp.

O- Not bad but really not that good. Didn't get much heat from the peppers. After drinking half the bottle I was ready to stop drinking it.

4.05/5  rDev +12.8%

A: amber-red with very small white lacing head
S: upfront smokiness and slightly peppery
T: a slight tingle/burn with a huge flavor of smoke and a tidbit of fruity hops. Almost citrus to counteract the burn. I like it!
M: moderately bodied with a lightly carbonated flush in the tip of the tongue.
O: I like this and as mentioned before I agree that this would pair extremely well with barbecued meats, even smoked spicy meat. Definitely would like honey and spicy bbq ribs slow cooked under cedar chips. My mouth is now drooling lol. Definitely a great experience as my first chili/hot pepper beer. Keep up the great work Rogue!

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

Upon opening some smoke comes out. Upon pouring it pours an off white beige-ish head that is about one finger width. The head retains okay and it laces pretty well. The body is an orange-ish almost amber color. You can see bubbles rise to the top.

The smell comes through with some hops and some smoky pepperiness. Smells pleasing.

You can taste lightly a combination of hops and malt. With these flavors, the hops seem to come through more. What comes through strongly throughout all of that is smoky pepperiness. You can taste the peppers that comes through in a nice smoky peppery delicoius beer.

The mouthfeel is different here. In this beer the carbonation is nice making it a smooth drinkable beer. However, the fact that this is a chile beer gives it a different kick in the mouthfeel. Its something I have not experienced before. You can feel the kick in it, maybe even more than in the actual taste.

Overall, its something to try even if it does not sound appetizing. A chipotle ale does not sound like a delicious beer to drink; or at least it did not sound good to me before I tried it but I am willing to try everything. So, even if a chipotle ale does not sound like a nice delicious ale, give it a try anyway. I enjoyed the new kind of taste that is not normal in most ales.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

This cloudy golden brew poured a tight white head that left very little lace. Smokey, floral and sweet plum aromas are slight. The earthy and buttery flavors don't stop the smoked chipotle peppers from asserting themselves. I don't know if the warming feeling is from the peppers or the alcohol, but it's nice. My expectations of Mexicali were low but to my surprise i enjoyed it alot.

4.02/5  rDev +12%

Didn't really know what to expect from this beer. After trying it, I can say I definitely like the style and find it right up my alley. I do like spicy things overall, and having this makes me realize it can work fairly well in beer when done right. Appearance looks like a normal type of amber ale. Not to much head or lacing, looks nondescript. You can definitely smell some of the pepper, and it gives the beer a slightly smokey scent. The smell is interesting. I can't say it's necessarily appetizing, but definitely interesting. Taste wise is where this beer shines. As it warms, the pepper and spice becomes slightly more pronounced, and gives this beer a bit of a bite that I find to be really satisfying. The more you have of it, the better it is. It takes a little getting used to at first. Mouthfeel is a little on the watery side, but the same time the carbonation goes great with the spice, and the heat of it makes it feel quite full. Any fuller body would probably make this feel too heavy. Overall I quite liked this... not a beer I would drink everyday, but certainly good.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

a- nice clear amber color with lots of tiny bubbles. a small receding white head. minimal lacing.

s- appley hops, some caramel malt, fresh fruit & very slight alcohol.

t- upfront fruity hops balanced with malt & a noticeable accent of chili pepper. finish is all bread dough & sweetness. very well-balanced but ends up a bit bland & lifeless after a while.

m- crisp, medium body, ample carbonation. quite smooth, & seems like they got this exactly where they wanted it.

I can imagine this pairing nicely with a lot of American & Mexican cuisine. I would maybe like a little more hop presence & a little less malt in a beer like this, as the malts just end up stale and boring to me. Still, an easy drinking good beer to pair with meals in the summer.

2.42/5  rDev -32.6%

A: copper with pretty good sized head

S: a little smokey and spicy with a bit of hop aroma

T: didn't work for me. I was really curious about this when I saw it but felt the smokey chipotle pepper was a little too overpowering to have a 22 on your own

M: average for an almost reddish ale

D:just too much heat. I love good spicy food and hoped this would be a great combination but it just seemed a little too one dimensional to me

I would say it's an interesting beer to try, but best to have a few friends around to taste with you as I couldn't do a whole 22 by myself

3.19/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance: Fizzy off white/ivory head - it's super bubbly; the head looks like it is composed of rows of bubbles on top of each other. The actual beer is a amber cloudy color that reflects the light. It's pretty standard looking, minus the great head that lingers if you give it a hard enough pour

Aroma: Smells like an amber ale, lots of malt up front. There is some spice and sweetness in the background, along with some sourness. I smell pickled watermelon, chipotle ice cream and some smokiness. Smells yummy.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Wow, there is some spice. After you swallow, there is a definite burning in the throat that is very interesting. I've never experienced this in beer. It's a slow burn that becomes more evident over time. There is also some sweetness - hints of roasted bell peppers maybe? The spice definitely dominates though and the mouth feel is very thin. This is good but weird.

Notes: I was expecting more. This is super spicy, so much so that it is making my acid reflux act up. I would like it more if the spiciness could be minimized a bit, but I guess that's why it is called Chipotle Ale. Split a bomber and not looking for any more. Ever actually. This was nice thing to sample, but I'm not gonna go back for more.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

IBU – 35
DATE – 12 NOV 2011
SERVING TYPE – 12 OZ bottle
GLASSWARE – Tumbler
APPEARANCE – Reddish orange with a foamy head lingering at ¼ inch and a good flow of bubbles
AROMA- Sweet with a hint of cayenne
TASTE – Chipolata right off the bat but not spicy at all, just a nice roasted pepper taste, Refreshing believe it or not. As the beer warmed up are of the roasted pepper came out, but still never spicy
MOUTHFEEL – very smooth and a bit creamy.
CONCLUSION – I like it, weird flavor but it works. I would not drink it every day, but it is very enjoyable
-JH-

4.4/5  rDev +22.6%

I picked this up because I flat out love chipotle peppers. I only had one other beer with peppers before and it was a porter. Anyhoo...

Poured a nice cloudy copper with a nice thick bone white head that fades to a ring around the edge of the glass about halfway through. Lacing is thin but slightly sticky. Overall a good looking ale.

The aroma is malty and smokey. After the first sip the smokey aroma leaves the nose and brings out the malts. Slightly sweet, a little woody.

This is an example of a beer that lives up to it's expectations. There is a quick malty sweetness in the front and then... did I eat a chipotle pepper? haha no! this has the perfect taste of chipotle peppers. The smoke comes through as if you had just ate something cooked with the peppers. The heat is in the background, but not over powering.

The mouthfeel is light and the carbonation is spot on. Again the spice is here with heat in the back of your throat, but not overwhelming.

Drinkability is good, but after drinking an entire bomber, I am not craving more. This beer has served it's purpose and I'm ready to move on. You'd have to be a big pepper fan to drink this one all night.

Well with all that being said, I'm glad I picked this one up. And, also glad I have another one in the fridge. I almost feel like attempting this as a homebrew to give as gifts. Thanks Rogue! Well played!

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

The Appearance is orange and red, a little bit hazy. Smells of sweet roasted peppers and the taste is similar. Very interesting flavor. Spicy and sweet with roasted flavors which become more intense as the beer is consumed. Bold beer, not an everyday drinking beer but should be a treat on occasions.

3.49/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

General - This beer was from a bottle that poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance - Great color to the beer, a nice clean amber color. Head was a great off white that diminished fairly slowly. Great lacing on the beer though. The color of the beer honestly reminds me a of a pepper for some reason!

Smell - A smoky scent to the beer with a slight (very mild) burn from the peppers. Really like it, different for sure, but very nice. I can smell a slight backbone of malt with a touch of hops although they aren't floral or fruity. Just a slight bitterness.

Taste - Very understated chipotle taste, really enjoyable. There is a slight burn at the back of the throat after drinking it but nothing that would be "overkill". A definite bitterness to this beer also, you can taste the hops in it more than I expected that you would be able to. The malted flavor stands up to the chipotle very well. There is a good smokey flavor with the beer also, not as severe or noticeable as a true smoked beer but there is a certain hint to it. Very nice.

Mouthfeel - A little on the thin side for a true amber ale, I would say light to medium light. Pretty highly carbonated also.

Overall - Something different that's not TOO different. If you were to drink this without knowing what it was you would know that it was with some sort of pepper but it's not too pronounced. Not something to have every day or in large quantities but for a random beer every once in a while it's good.

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%

Nice head that didn't hang around leaving ok lacing. A smokey nose. A HUGE smokey flavor with the slight bite coming through at the end. I expected a heavier mouthfeel and I thought it was a little on the thin side. Overall a really interesting beer and I recommend that you try it. I couldn't finish what I had been given - I found the taste too overwhelming to drink a pint of it but i liked it. I am thinking of using it in recipes, maybe in my Beer Cheese soup, or maybe in place of a stout in gravy.

Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

Pours a reddish brown color with a big head that faded to a ring in about 5 minutes, nice lacing.

Smell is very hoppy, maybe some pepper smell way down in there, but if I wasnt looking for it I would get it.

Taste again very hoppy, had to search for the pepper but after a while my lips and mouth had a bit of a burn to them.

Mouthfeel was full with medium carbonation.
Drinkability was high, although I couldnt really see paying for it.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on tap at The Thirsty Monk. Poured a copper color with an off white head. Nose is very peppery with some malt and promises the chipotle that is expected. Small amount of malt in the taste with a well balanced chipotle flavor... not too much, not too little. If you like what's promised by this beer, it delivers nicely. Still, not the most interesting of brews.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

This beer is all about subtlety. There is no chili pepper floating inside the bottle but the chipotle presence is there nonetheless, lurking around under the surface. Peppery and smoky but not overwhelmingly so with a malt sweetness beneath. Pours a clear amber and carries a unique, not unpleasant aroma.

The first thing my wife and I both thought was how to pair this with food as this seems a good choice for a broad range of meals. It's not an everyday beer nor is this a big beer (especially served as we did it right after the Imperial IPA. What were we thinking?) but a solid experience and one I wouldn't mind to repeat. Try it if you're curious. It's not THAT out there.

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

A - the beer light brown, with nice head.

S - Smells of some citrus along with hop aroma, cannot really smell the Chipotle.

T - Sweet malt with a hint of raisin flavor, not too sweet not to astringent.

M - I do not taste the Chipotle, I love spicy, and it might be spicy for someone else, but I do not see it. the mouth feel is nice

D - drinks nice, a good beer, not really a spiced beer for my taste.

3.57/5  rDev -0.6%

A- Pours a golden honey color with a thick cream colored head...decent retention and some nice lacing...

S- Some bready malts, but smokiness and what I can only describe as chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seem to dominate...

T- As it smells, yet maltiness is even more subdued in comparison to the chipotle and smoke...just a hint of spice, but this is by no means a 'spicy' beer...flavors definitely linger on the palate

M- Light bodied, but a little thin...decent carbonation

D- An interesting brew to say the least...for the style, definitely one of the better ones I've had, yet it seems to be missing something (maybe more heat, maybe heavier mouthfeel...just something more) Nonetheless, this is a unique brew that is worth a shot

2.72/5  rDev -24.2%

This beer pours amber with orange highlights and little head, no lacing. Smells quite smokey and roasted with a taste of well roasted peppers. To be honest I don't really like this. It is an odd flavor to me and I'm from Texas. It's not disgusting. I could still finish it, I just won't spend more money on another.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great smoke and flavor from the chipotle, but very little heat which gives a great balance. Pairs well with chili or most spicy dishes. Also great to cook with.

2.84/5  rDev -20.9%

Pours a dark, copper color with a slightly off white head.

Aroma is smoked pepper and a small bit of malt.

Taste is a medium bodied amber ale overwhelmed a bit by the smoke of the pepper.

The mouthfeel is a bit over dry.

Finish has smoke, which seems to pervade the beer from start to finish. Just not my thing.

3.84/5  rDev +7%

Wow, I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. I picked it up out of the curiosity of possibly using chipotle in my own homebrew and wanted to see how the pros at Rogue managed. I was immediately struck by the sweet hot smokey smell of chipotle chiles. It was a carbon copy of opening a bag of actual chipotle chiles. Having heard horror stories of other chile beers, I was a little worried. I poured the beer, a burnt umber, into a pint glass with no head. Carbonation was there, just not in the form of any amount of head. In fact, it tickled my tonge with the carbonation and the lack of head did not help the mouthfeel. The real surprise came in the first sip. Absolutely a chipotle beer. I could taste smoky jalapenos, complete with spicy aftertaste. I even noted a bit of a hop presence. But the more notable offsetting flavor was a carmel sweetness in the malts. It balanced the spicy-smoky chipotle nicely. I had a hard time drinking a lot of this at once due to the spiciness--I felt like too much of it would give me heartburn. Therefore, I spaced it out over a period of grilling veggies, eating dinner, and cleaning up. It actually went fantastically with my grilled veggie sandwich. I marinated some portabellos, zuccini, and red pepper in olive oil and balsamic vinegar and grilled them. I toasted the bread and spread hummos on both sides. The result matched the chipotle ale perfectly. Meaty portabellos worked with the smoky beer. Tangy hummos offset the spiciness. The sweet red peppers picked up the sweetness in the malts. The zuccini... well fortunatly there was not a vegetable taste in the beer, so that was just extra. I probably would not buy another one of these unless matching it with food. Chipotle beer with veggies, who would have thought?

3.06/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours an amber/honey color, slightly cloudy, with a cream colored head. Aroma is mild with detectable caramel malt and honey notes. Taste is a bready malt with a hint of jalapeno that becomes more pronounced in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is a medium body with medium carbonation. An interesting beer, but not one that I would keep on hand.

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

it should be noted that we had this with some chipotle pasta the other night and it was a great pair. I don't know how well the beer necessarily complemented the food or vise versa, but I really enjoyed them together.

this brew poured a nice clear, caramel with a thick, off white head that rode the side of my glass pretty well for as light as it looked. it slowly receded to a crown that left a thin layer of small bubbles sitting atop my drink.

smelled hoppy up front and then a bit smokey. not much malt to speak of, but I definitely am becoming a bit more sensitive to the rogue "pacman" yeast. I'm not saying that all rogue beers smell the same, not by any means. though you can pick up that yeast if you're smelling critically.

tastes like a smokey amber all. sweet with a charred and spicy bite. I really had a hard time picking up on just how spicy this beer actually was until I was finished with my dish, but it had some real bite to it that I really enjoyed. a light to medium body backed that spice up and helped it to linger for quite a while.

this is a great beer for what it is, but I would have a real tough time putting back a number of them.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales