Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Reviews: 696 | Ratings: 1,396
3.36/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours light reddish amber. The head is small, but sticks around nicely. You can see a lot of effervescence going on in the body of the beer.

After reading the description and some reviews, and having had chili beers before, I was expecting a lot more heat from the nose. There's hardly any peppers, but some nice earthy smells. Mainly it just smells like generic "beer".

Not as much heat as I expected. This is a very earthy beer. The chipotle peppers come through a little stronger on the swallow, accompanied by some hops. It has a pleasant smoky flavor. The heat isn't overpowering, but it's present. Overall, there's a lot more ale than chipotle. I could see it pairing nicely with a wide variety of foods.

The biggest problem I found with it was excessive carbonation. I expect a little more complexity from Rogue, but this beer didn't deliver.

It drinks fairly easily, but I could see the heat at the end slowing some people down.

One last thing; do NOT drink this beer if you have chapped lips, cold sores, or any raw spots in your mouth. That's when the peppers will get you!

3.21/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours amber (darker amber, with a copperish hue), producing a generous but short lived head. Head settles quickly to a thin lace across the glass.

Smells light on the malt, ot a lot of hops aroma, with a hint of chili pepper.

Tastes like a pale ale. Light, not too malty. Finishes to a hoppy and peppery glow. The pepper is not overpronounced, but you do feel it in the aftertaste and in your belly.

Mouthfeel is OK. It's mostly balanced leaning towards the spicier side. Carbonation seemed sharper for an American pale ale; a little less CO2 might bring out the malt more. Letting this beer breathe for a bit did help on that aspect.

Overall this is pretty low on the session beer factor. It is not bad - in fact it's interesting how the chili compliments the pepper. Unfortunately two servings of pepper will put your innards on alert more than two servings of hops. This is a pretty good beer and goes well with pizza, but I'll follow it up with something else.

I tried to file a BeerSpy report; unfortunately once you pick New Hampshire you have 14 stores to chose from and there is no 'Other/Not listed'. Purchased from Wine Society in north Nashua, NH which has a small handpicked selection of beers (and no dust).

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

This is the second "pepper beer" I've had, the first being Dogfish Head's Theobroma. Comparing these two is somewhat appropriate, since they do feature pepper, but Theobroma also features chocolate and cocoa nibs, which Chipotle Ale does not.

A:
A fine deep copper color, with a healthy three-finger head that didn't want to dissipate. Lacing was similarly hearty.

S:
Pepper, of course, but balanced well with a sweet body that almost reminds me of creme brulee. Think of a fresh, sweet smelling beer and overlay a pepper scent-- nothing too arresting, but notable.

T:
Dry and rather bitter, but with a dense, woody taste that reminded me of a wood grill (!) Taste and smell blend here, as the full smell only become apparent as it's wafting up through the back of your mouth. This would pair well with some carne asada.The pepper hits you when you swallow, so... well.. if that's your thing, you'll like it. I don't like my pepper to be so... delayed? It's not like drinking tabasco sauce, but it's hot. I happen to like spicy food, so this didn't bother me much, but if you're sensitive to pepper, you should steer clear.

M:
First sip and it's like any other beer, but subsequent drinks will increase the heat. Finishing off this 22oz bottle is going to require some help.

D:
Not so much. If you're accustomed to drinking something to numb the burn of hot pepper, this beer will throw you for a loop. Pair it with some food that's not very spicy to balance things out.

3.99/5  rDev +11.1%

Not my favorite beer by Rogue but I have to say one of the most creative beers I have ever had. When they say Chipotle they mean it. I am not sure if I should drink this beer or use it as a seasoning. It is very unique, very spicy, tastes like a Chipotle salsa, but it goes down very smoothly and is not over done. I can see how this could have gone wrong is so many ways but, hats off to Rogue, I think they nailed what they were going for. Not sure I would eat with spicy food might be over kill.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a slightly hazy amber with a foamy tan head that sticks about a bit.

Brown sugar malty sweetness with a peppery-ness (not sure that's a word), but not something that you would detect on the front end.

Sweet and slightly piney hops with lots of malt and brown sugar sweetness. Then you get the chipotles. I think what works best here is that the malt component. Nice and strong to handle the pepper.

Light body with good carbonation.

I like off-centered beers and enjoyed this one.

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance is a copper color. Not much head forms and what does disappears quickly.

Smell is very weak. I can not get much at all ... some very weak malt aromas.

Taste is a smokey pepper one. I taste the pepper which is why I drink this style. One can not give me enough pepper in a brew. I'll trade for any chile beer you have!

Mouthfeel is on the thin side but I like the burning sensation.

Overall I like this beer as a very drinkable one.

3.71/5  rDev +3.3%

A: Poured a small white head orange in color quickly dissipating coating

S: Smells like Jalepenos, Farm Fresh But just not enough else going on (hop/malt)

T: Tastes like a nice pale ale with some extra creamyness/pepper taster. Unique

M: Interesting, Sharp and Creamy

Overall: Pretty solid beer, unique for sure, I could use a little more to dig into taste is somewhat one sided

3.13/5  rDev -12.8%

Had this at their location in San Francisco.

Looks great, smells just like Chipotle. So they nailed that on the head. I personally think it's a good beer and they really got what they were going for.

Way too spicy for my liking ,and I could barely finish the sampler me and my buddies got.

worth trying. i don't see this beer coming around again though.

3.74/5  rDev +4.2%

Presentation: 22 oz. Bomber - love their designs.

Appearance - Poured thick slightly yellowish head with big, squirmy bubbles. dissipates to thin film after a few minutes. Deep red, slightly brownish translucent hue. Really nice color.

Smell - decent malty pale ale aroma. very much like an average Pale Ale actually.

Mouthfeel - light/medium bodied beer. perhaps a little oily after awhile (possibly because of the pepper) but nothing offensive.

Taste - good carbonation up front, slight chipotle spiciness already. good hoppy/chili spice up front. Balanced moderate malty sweetness and slight aromatic, but hardly bitter hopiness at the back of the mouth. Then the chipotle really takes over leaving a decently hot/spicy taste all over the mouth and lips. A little bit of the sweetness lingers as well, feeling a bit odd with the chipotle. Hint of bitterness also lingers at the back of the mouth. Interesting combination. Suprisingly well balanced chipolte hotness with an otherwise average ale taste.

Definitely drinkable, but don't expect a refreshing cold one or anything.

4.19/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

got a bomber of this, super great. this is one of the more interesting beers ive had. great unfiltered orange appearance with a nice white head. the smell is great, really unique. not much of hops, a bit of sweet carmel malts, but loaded with bbq, hickory smokiness which is just really unique and interesting, in a good way. the smokiness is definltey stronger in the nose than the mouth, the taste is much spicer and accute than the smell that is less pin pointed. less smokey, much more chile, chiptole, jalepenos. tickles the palate on the way out. everything i wanted in this beer in regards to taste. tons of notes reminding me of bbqs, hickory chips, and tons of hot peppers. the drinkability isnt too high, in regards to quantity. but for quality i think it really is highly drinkable and enjoyable. really, really happy with this. another great beer from rogue.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

Drunk from a pint-glass, on-tap at Rogue Ale House

Hate/love tasting of this brew

A - Nice and dark, brownish

S - Peppery

T - Goes in like a dark ale, porter, half-stout; then peppers kick in, nice sensation, but then just ramming the buds like a tabasco kick. A bit much, but I looked forward to another sip, though I knew it wouldnt be for a bit.

D - Slow drinking brew. Definitely not a consecutive brew for my taste, but enjoyable. Worth a try.

I would be curious as to the ABV on this one (above it says "?")

3.45/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

P: pours a copperish dark red with an off white head.

S: peppery, smokey, spicy and slightly sweet.

T: peppery bite dominates palate finishes kinda wattery.

M: medium the peppers really hang around.

O: very interesting mix of peppers and ale, would deff have again.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Nice reddish amber color with thick tan head (that retains well).

Sweet malt aroma and the peppers' spiciness comes through, too.

Mmm, very well balanced maltiness, hops and (at first) a very subtle pepper. Well laced, making the next swallow all-the-more inviting. Drinks very clean & 'bright' for a beer with this degree of complexity.

I'll be honest, I expected more chipotle kick, but nonetheless, this beer is very solid, very drinkable, and could easily qualify as session brew.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

Ok, this is what it is, a very spicy well crafted beer of it's kind. You will like it if you are a fan of hot buffalo chicken wings. If you can't stand the heat...stay out of the kitchen! I feel it's one of the best of it's type, and worth a try. Don't be a "cry baby", try something different for a change.

3.14/5  rDev -12.5%

I know that this is going to have a low average score, but it's not that I didn't enjoy this beer; it's more that it's a really new experience for me so it just seemed like a very strange beer.

Pours a deep orange-rust color with a two-finger, mostly white, slightly orange, head that doesn't hang around for terribly long, but left a nice, thick lacing.

I didn't get a lot of smell out of this. There's a little bit of faint peppery smell, but that's about it.

So, taste... this is a very strange tasting beer. In my mouth there's not a lot going on; it doesn't taste bad, but there isn't the bold smack-in-the-face of chipotles I was expecting. However, it leaves a very distinct spicy warmness in the back of my throat that reminds me a lot of eating pepperjack cheese.

Mouthfeel is fine; not a lot to comment on.

As far as drinkability goes, this is a brew that I could probably have a couple of glasses of without issue, and might be really nice with pizza, but I imagine I'd get tired of it kind of before too long.

2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

Served on tap at the Blue Dog, this arrived in a pint glass with a tiny collar of white foam atop clear amber. Smell was of an american brown ale: nutty, sweet aroma with citrus hop notes (cascades)? Initially the taste was similar with a good mix of caramel sweet maltiness and bitter hops, but the taste changed to that of the chipotle. It was a smoky barbeque type taste, and only minimal heat from capcaesin. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and seemed appropriate for what I'm guessing was a 5% ABV beer, give or take 0.2%. I drank it quickly, but more so to get it over with.

Note: Interesting flavor, but I doubt I'll revisit this style any time soon. I am fond of hot sauce and tobasco has long since replaced ketchup on my scrambled eggs, but it doesn't seem to work well with this beer, and the aftertaste was annoying.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Chipotle Ale was maybe the third or fourth beer I've had from Rogue's regular line-up. I'm not sure if it was this beer, or Brown Nectar, that sold me on Rogue as a top notch brewery, but either way, this is a beer to try, especially if you're one of the many who have never had a chile beer before. Chipotle Ale is just that, it's a slightly malty beer with a smokey taste and a chipotle pepper kick to the finish. Not hot, in the food sense, but there is a notable kick after swallowing this beer that provides for a very fresh and less than common experience. Chipotle Ale is not as complex and subtle as the chile beers I've tried since, best served by itself, and an excellent choice for a first time chile-beer consumer.

4.85/5  rDev +35.1%

oh man this beer is awsome .not the killer hops like most of the rougs ive tried but no matter. pours a nice deep ruby color. ON first smell i dont really smell to much spice, but its there. malty goodness. theres some pretty good lacing in the glass but then its rogue so.... you really know there are peppers in here after you have drank the beer you can feel that tingling sensation on the tip of your tounge like you just ate some spicy food.a+++ great beer

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from bomber bottle into pint glass.

A: Dark, rust orange in colour with about a finger of slightly off-white head that disappears after a few moments.

S: Nose is mainly of malt, with faint smoke scents in the background.

T: Strong malt flavour, with some spiciness up front, followed by a dry finish which holds the smokiness and slight bit of fresh, hot pepper.

M: Felt kinda thin to be honest.

D/O: Pretty enjoyable beer. The smokiness and pepper make it worthwhile.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured this beer from a 22oz bomber. The color was burnt orange with a small head. The first sip tastes like a normal ale then the spice hits. I would say it has more cinnamon characteristics than chile peppers but it was very interesting and it worked well for me. This beer should be in every mexican restaurant and it is one to try.

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours copper with a white head. Mild chili aroma with first pour that gets greater as it warms. Medium body, like that of a Golden Ale. Chipotle flavor really comes out as it warms up with a little heat at the back of the throat. Great body and carbonation for a chili beer.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%

I have to say I was a bit disappointed after reading the reviews here then actually drinking one of these. I was expecting to have something that would either be pretty vile or pretty dang tasty to me since I do like chilis and spicy food. Well I did not get either really. It pours a nice yellow with a bit of a red hue and a slightly white head that laces pretty quickly. The smell to me was a bit like fermented fruit with just a hint of smokiness in the background. The taste was what kind of let me down but not in a horrible way. It ended being so average to me, I was expecting to either be wowed or just grossed out by something that tasted too much like peppers. I don't know maybe I'm crazy but it just tasted like a very average thin ale with just a tiny hint of smokiness in the background. The immediate aftertaste is just the smokiness but after a while if you let it sit on your tongue I get a hint of burnt chili seeds. It was not too bad for me getting through the one bomber but I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability because I could definately imagine it turning off alot of people and just left me pretty unimpressed either way. Not horrible or anything but I don't think I would buy another one. I cracked open a Stone Pale Ale after drinking this one and that just tasted soooo good after drinking this stuff.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber color with a thin creamy white head. Smokey pepper, malty aroma. Initial taste is very unusual and awkward but becomes very good. Warm, full bodied. Spicy finish. Very intriguing beer if you want to explore, but not something you would drink very often.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Since this beer is spicier than it is smokey, it would pair well with mexican or spicier foods. The beer pours an amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a rich malty scent that boasts of pale, crystal, and roasted malts along with spicey red chile edge. The taste is good as well. It has a smooth, malty flavor that boasts of crystal and roasted malts along with a very spicey chipotle pepper taste. I love these kind of beers. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. Rogue seems to be able to get it done no matter what style it is.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Pouring this from the standard Rogue 650 ml bottle, a clean fluffy head rolled up from its foggy red mass. A beautiful beer...but then I started drinking it.

Right before it touched my lips I smelt the peppers almost like a dry rub. Unfortunately that's also how it felt inside my mouth. The taste was mediocre for Rogue, which is still delightful overall.

There is much left to be desired in this beer. Yet there is still much to enjoy as is.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales