Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,405 |  Reviews: 700
3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours out a dark hazy rust amber with a small dense tan head.

Smell. Combination of caramel and peppers. Though i have read the ibu level is at 35, i still get a good amount of hops.

Taste. More tastes of caramel, but definitely has a spice kick to go with it. I do get a taste of the hops, but certainly not hoppy at all. Malts are roasted and slightly smokey with tastes of caramel. I can definitely get the yeast taste that many rogue beers have. And as the beer warms, the peppers become stronger. Aftertaste is more of the yeast, with a good amount of spicy pepper.

Mouthfeel. Body is medium that seems full at first, but then gets a little slick as it warms in my mouth. has a nice balance, and the carbonation along with the peppers makes it very tingly on my tongue.

Overall, I like this beer, but is one i would have to be in the mood for to enjoy.

3.31/5  rDev -7%

I picked up a bottle of Rogue Chipotle Ale at Downtown Wine & Spirits a month or so ago. I let this warm slightly and served it in my San Francisco Brewing Company pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazy red-orange with a beige head that dissipates to a persistent ring. Fizzy carbonation sounds almost soda-like.

Smell: Some very light sweet malts, maybe caramel or toffee. I'm not really sure because the light smokiness masks them. Overall the aromas were fairly subtle. I was expecting more spiciness or smokiness.

Taste: There's a nice underlying beer here. A solid sweet and bready malt backbone runs throughout, with bitter hops that provide a nice balance. The smokiness comes through in the center and lingers into the finish. The smokiness becomes more evident as the beer warms. The spiciness isn't really something you taste; rather it builds and becomes more evident as you drink.

Mouthfeel: Light to moderate carbonation. Light-bodied and a bit thin. Spicy heat warms the throat.

Drinkability: The smokiness of this beer is too much.

Overall: I liked this beer better than the Jalapeño Sunsplash that I had at the Extreme Beer Fest. The base beer was nicer, though in the end the smokiness was too much, and the spiciness could have been raised.

3.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours out deep golden-amber and sits deep amber brown in the glass with a fair off-white head fading to a light skim holding to the sides of the glass.

Smells nicely roasted, big notes of sweet and spicy peppers with light smokey undertones. Toasty brown sugar, honey and a mild roasty malt character.

Tastes lightly sweet up front, initially bland, flavors struggling to come through. Syrupy malt flavors, brown sugar wrapped in oak. Faint notes of peppers; just a miniscule twang near the finish. Mildly bitter with some green leafy hop flavor.

Smooth and creamy in the mouth, fairly light carbonation and a medium body. Definately one of the higher points of the beer.

I guess going into this, I was assuming I was going to get something that really pronounced the peppers, I guess leaving things set back a bit is just nicer. For what it is, it's well done, just seems a bit bland to me.

3.34/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

3.31/5  rDev -7%

Well, the seedless chipotle is certainly the star of the show as my very first sip was simply, "Wow...spicy beer!"

This deep copper brew sports a tight tan finger of foam and a dry, earthy nose which requires a wee bit of coaxing. Carbonation is adequate without being prickly and the peppers really hold off to the finish...a welcome relief.

Entry is quite unremarkable and seemingly like an ESB with soft earthy malts flowing over the tongue. Mid-taste has decent body and an inherant sweetness ushering in the inevitable finish.

Ahhh...the finish! The peppers build slowly with a solid backing of almond-like smokiness toward a crescendo of throat drying chipotle goodness. The brewers came as close to 'over the top' as possible without actually losing control of the taste here as each sip begets another.

All-in-all a nice one-off beer, but nothing I could do for a session...but I sure wish I had some more almonds...

4.19/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm trying to figure out if this version of the beer has changed much, if at all, from prior years because it was a lot better than I remember. The appearance of the poor was a dark amber hue with a light head. The smell was smokey with a little bit of pepper mixed in with the hops and malt smells. The taste and mouthfeel are what I love the most about the beer. The taste is deeply smokey with just a little bit of spice on the back of the throat. It makes the beer an easy pairing with Spanish and Indian food. The mouthfeel as well coats your cheeks so that there's a light tingle from the spice. Overall was very nice and for the price I found it at (7.99) not a bad buy.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

4.1/5  rDev +15.2%

First pour: light golden with lager-like clarity and full head. Second pour: darker orange, hazy and no head at all. Musty odor with traces of smokiness and vague hops. Gentle malts are quite subdued and make room for the bold finish which is actually more smoky than spicy. Still the peppers linger in the finish, long beyond the beer, and build up strength in a way that is completely atypical for any beer I have tried, but right in line with the properties of hot peppers. The beer itself is quite nice and refreshing, smooth, and the smokiness is closer to a Bamberger Rauch. I could go either way with this beer; it woud be equally good - and much less intrusive - without the lingering burn, but it does make the beer interesting, even unique.

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.8/5  rDev +34.8%

2.37/5  rDev -33.4%

Had a 22 oz. bottle of this beer,made with actual chipotle peppers. I had to try this beer.Poured into a pint glass.Nice amber color.beautiful fluffy white head.Had a smokey,very slight vineagar.spicey smell.
It tasted ok at first,but the aftertaste I didn't like, I felt like I was drinking it out of an old shoe.My friends also tasted it and didn't like it either. Maybe it would have tasted good with chips and salsa. This the only beer from Rogue I don't like.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Chipotle Ale pours a deep, hazy, orange with a red pepper tinge to it and a fuzzy off-white lid. Lighly sweet caramel and toasted malts with some citrusy fruit and hints of spiciness. The flavor is the same with a better, more distinctive, red peppery spiciness that creeps in from behind. Straight medium body with a pleasantly fuzzy and soft carbonation. Nice, interesting beer that I wouldn't mind having again every once in a while.

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Presentation: 22 oz bottle split four ways into wine galases. Like all Rogue beers, no indication of freshness/bottling date.

A- Amber, slightly hazy appearance. Pours with ~1 finger of off white head, which fades very nto a thin, incomplete cap. Spotty lacing.

S- Smokey and peppery with hints of fruity maltiness.

T- Moderately malty notes on the front, which gives way to a moderate smoky, chipotle pepper flavor that hits the back of the mouth and throat- heat is present, but far from overbearing. Surprisingly palatable.

M- Crisp on the front, with moderately high carbonation. Medium feel. Goes down surprisingly smoothly.

D- Better than expected. I wouldn't really want to drink much of this beer alone, but could likely be a fantastic companion to many food pairings.

Future outlook: A real surprise winner in my book. Definitely a beer that I will buy again for the specific purpose of food pairings. Paired very well with a pepper-jack burger, and I'd love to try with other spicy foods.

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%

My wife picked this up and made me listen to the Dead. Go figure.

The beer poured a nice color, and look like quite a beer. Oddly enough, There was no detectable smell. The taste was quite muted as well. I wasn't really aware of the taste, but I sensed a smokey aftertaste. It was a decent base ale, but I'll probably not be spending upon it again.

4.09/5  rDev +14.9%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy muddy brown color with a thin white head. Lacing spider webs and slides into the beer.
The smell, well, whaddaya think is there, obviously chipotle heat up front. Nice and peppery. Light breadiness here and there.
The taste was spicy initially and then takes in a sly little bit of bready sweetness to make an effort to balance. Nice spicy aftertaste with a dry finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with a crisp sweet to spicy feel hitting my tongue harshly.
Overall, I get it, or I think I do, I mean, it's a chile beer by style, so why are we picking on the fact that its too spicy? "Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, son." I'd have this again and actually have heard that it goes extremely well in beer bread.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured a hazy/cloudy deep golden color with decent white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Aroma is very malty and peppery. Flavor is peppery with smoky notes to it as well. The mouthfeel was thin to medium. I liked this a lot, but I think one bomber would probably be my limit at any one time.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales