Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,401 |  Reviews: 698

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a pint glass.
shared 1/2 of a 22oz bottle with a friend.

a: Foamy two finger head, with great retention that lasted the whole beer. Good dark copper, wood color.

s: Not impressed by the smell, it smells like beer, but I was hoping for something a little bit more spicy of an aroma.

t: The taste is explosive. The hints at vanilla and pine reflect on the spicy notes from the chipotle. The off-tastes are that of the spicy chipotle pepper. The first time I had tried this beer, I could not find the spicy notes, but this time...(is this the same beer>)

m: Short mouthfeel, that of a ale that is dry and quick off the palate.

d: Not the most drinkable beer, not that I do not enjoy the style or the ale, but a pepper or spiced beer is in my preference best enjoyed time to time. Maybe I will wait a week before more.

notes: Rouge, taking the brewing to another limit and the result is this bright, and tasty chipotle beer. Really good, perhaps the best pepper beer I have had in a long time.

2.8/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pint poured on tap at Publick House into American pint glass. Intrigued by this, thought I would like. Wrong.

A: Another apple juice looking drink. Slight head and too much bubbles.

N: Spice and smoke were there, with some malt background. No bitterness or hops in the aroma.

T: Chipotle definitely present, almost reminded me of a bloody mary sting. Not enjoyable in a beer, not here at least. The taste came off as a bit hokey and not naturally built off the base of the beer.

M: A bit rich, spices dont marry well. Too much carbonation to balance out.

D: I guess if your up for spices or what not, you may like but it doesnt come across well. First beer from Rogue I found undrinkable. Just not my cup o tea.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As much as I love Rogue, there was no way I was shelling out $5 for this. I expected Rogue's take on Mexican-style beers ... boy, was I wrong. My friend got one so I had to try it out and review it.

It pours out a lightly gold color that, when examined against the light, almost reveals hints of green. Ugh. The head was average and it left a few rings.

The nose on this one was interesting. There is a mild hoppiness mixed with a slight hint of spiciness. Malt presence isn't at the forefront. I also am presented with something akin to a Mexican restaurant ... hmm ...

Wow. What a strange cacophony of tastes. There is a distinctly dry and bitter hop twang and then a strange sour wave. There is a mild burning sensation on the palate, the first reminder of the chipotle peppers.

Overall I was not too impressed with this beer. It was bought on a whim by a friend and I might have otherwise not tried it. The "best" part of the beer for me was the lingering residual pepper effect. The further and further you got down on the pint you'd notice a slight heat in your stomach rising upwards. Could be dangerous for those with heartburn issues. I would like to try this with some Spanish or Mexican cuisine, however.

2.75/5  rDev -23.4%

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, chilled into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy amber color with a nice bit of creamy (1/2") and tan head taht clings nicely to the glass as it slowly dissipates.

Aroma is mainly of some herbal and floral hops, while a bit of caramel and pepper hits my nose also. I can tell there's a bit of spice in there.

Sipping at first I get a lot of sweet caramel, along with a bittering, herbal hop flavor. A bit of spice and pepper comes through, but reminds me a bit of black pepper on the finish, and really wasn't what I expected. It leaves my lips tingling a little, so maybe the PEPPER IS IN THERE!?

Body is nicely balanced with nice sweetness and then bitterness. Body is medium with a nice mild carbonation and tingle from the pepper maybe.

Overall, more drinkable than expected. I've tried Cave Creek Chili Beer before, and it was near unbearable, so when I picked this up, it was more an experiment. A good one! Cheers!

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Slightly amber with moderate white head that gives some lace in my pilsner glass. Smell is peppery spice with malt backing it up and even a touch of smoke(?). The taste is a very refined and contained chile flavor the plays well with the malt and remains it the dry finish of the beer. I dug this beer and it went well with my pull beef sandwich. Drinking this by itself might be much for me but I think this beer shines when paired with food or split in a day of drinking.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Picked up this 12oz single for $2.59 at Barb's Beer Emporium in Concord NH. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Cloudy reddish gold brew gives a thick tan head that leaves a thick carpet of lace on the glass. The nose is really interesting- fairly typical thick semi-sweet bready malts, but then an unmistakable spicy red pepper bite. The taste is very much the same though adds a bit of smokiness, presumably also from the chipotle. Mouthfeel is moderately thick with appropriate carbonation. The spice is felt mildly starting with the first sip but really develops and lingers long into the finish, a pleasant warming burn. Very interesting, not something I'd drink regularly, but I'm glad I tried it and would have it again on occasion.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%

Bomber poured into a pint glass, shared with a friend.

A-Orange -amber beer with a white head on top, slowly receding to a thin layer.

S-The smell is overwhelmed by chipotle peppers. That's pretty much it.

T-As with the smell, chipotle peppers hijack this beer's flavor. Other beer characters are largely covered by the peppers' flavor. A slight heat on the otherwise smokey finish.

M-Medium body with appropriate carbonation.

D-I did not care for this beer. I think the pepper flavors were too prominent, which left no room for other beer flavors to represent. An interesting beer to try, but I won't be trying this one again in the future.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

4.42/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance: Poured from the bottle with a reddish brown color and a thin white head. The head has some nie stickiness and leaves a good amount of lacing on the sides of my sniffer glass.

Smell: Wow, this smells like a smoked beer (Rauchbier). It smells roasty and like roasted vegetables.

Taste: Very smokey, malty, and roasty. It has a veggie character to it and some sweetness. There is a sweet flavor of roasted pepper skin as well as black peppercorns and a fresh cut grass. This a very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth. Coats the mouth well and allows me to enjoy the flavor with all of my taste buds.

Drinkability: Very good, very tasty and original. It'[s smooth and well done. I really like the roasted pepper taste in here.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a clear, amber hue, with a white head, that holds for a few minutes and falls to a single layer of bubbles. Chipotle smokiness is present in the mostly malty aroma. A pretty standard amber ale, with caramel malt flavors and spicy hops. A bit papery in the middle; oxidized perhaps, or maybe just the effect of adding chiles to the beer. With a fairly bitter finish. Just a touch of Chipotle flavor and a just a hint of heat in the finish. I expected a little more heat and a little more smokiness. Would probably go well with some Mexican food, but on its own the chile flavor is a bit odd.

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%

i am a chef at a dogfish and i was blown away by this beer

A - Orangish color with off white head. Head dissipated very quickly. Very nice presentation.

S - Hoppy with a light smoked flavoring

T - I really .like the subtle chipotle taste. Especially with a spicy beer.

M - Thick but not too thick. Very nice.

D - Not so much. Not a session beer by any means.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Slightly red clear amber with off-white head that poured huge, left huge lacing, the head lasted a really long time as well.
S- pretty much all slightly sweet malt, only a slight twinge of spiciness on the nose at the finish
T- Pretty smooth, a light malty smoothness, followed by a slight chili pepper spicyness which replaces the hop flavor.
M- a sharper carbonation which fits well with the chili. Has a slightly light body, however nothing of detriment to the beer
D- pretty solid, a slightly spicy flavor that i hadnt had before, and is balanced well, providing an interesting and different finish of chili instead of hops

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales