Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,407 |  Reviews: 701
3.32/5  rDev -6.7%

My wife picked this up and made me listen to the Dead. Go figure.

The beer poured a nice color, and look like quite a beer. Oddly enough, There was no detectable smell. The taste was quite muted as well. I wasn't really aware of the taste, but I sensed a smokey aftertaste. It was a decent base ale, but I'll probably not be spending upon it again.

4.09/5  rDev +14.9%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy muddy brown color with a thin white head. Lacing spider webs and slides into the beer.
The smell, well, whaddaya think is there, obviously chipotle heat up front. Nice and peppery. Light breadiness here and there.
The taste was spicy initially and then takes in a sly little bit of bready sweetness to make an effort to balance. Nice spicy aftertaste with a dry finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with a crisp sweet to spicy feel hitting my tongue harshly.
Overall, I get it, or I think I do, I mean, it's a chile beer by style, so why are we picking on the fact that its too spicy? "Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, son." I'd have this again and actually have heard that it goes extremely well in beer bread.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured a hazy/cloudy deep golden color with decent white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Aroma is very malty and peppery. Flavor is peppery with smoky notes to it as well. The mouthfeel was thin to medium. I liked this a lot, but I think one bomber would probably be my limit at any one time.

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

220z bomber. This is one of those beers you've got to be in the mood for. I've had a bottle in my fridge for months before, just because I wasn't ready for it.

But with the right food pairing, or even the right weather, this is such a treat. This is to-date the only chili beer that I've gotten through, and a 22oz no less.
I don't consider this a gimick, like those pale lagers with the peper suspended in there and a cheesy name.

The fact that it's chipotle adds a rauchebier-like smokiness, and the spice is very nicely tucked in there.

Amber color and malt forward in the aroma. Getting smokiness in the aroma, but not to much pepper/spice.

Smooth and rich, with a nice semi-full body. I think this is where it shines, with the mouthfeel. The spice isn't a fire, just a mild spice, and the smoke makes it flavorful and adds complexity. Cheers Rogue! Nicely done.

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%

a: pours a deep hazy orange color with about a quarter inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing at all
s: sweet malts chipotle pepper is present
t: chipotle peppers, very peppery flavor sweet malts are in the background
m: medium bodied beer with little carbonation

overall, thisis a decent brew but not a style that i think ill get again

4.26/5  rDev +19.7%

Ok so defiantly better than I expected...

Appearance is pretty bland, although with it being a spring release and it being near fall, what do you expect.
Smell and Taste were very good. At first the beer just smelled and tasted of dry malt, but as some warming occured a nice smell and taste of jalapeno broke through.
I felt like I was eating some medium wings.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a pint glass.
shared 1/2 of a 22oz bottle with a friend.

a: Foamy two finger head, with great retention that lasted the whole beer. Good dark copper, wood color.

s: Not impressed by the smell, it smells like beer, but I was hoping for something a little bit more spicy of an aroma.

t: The taste is explosive. The hints at vanilla and pine reflect on the spicy notes from the chipotle. The off-tastes are that of the spicy chipotle pepper. The first time I had tried this beer, I could not find the spicy notes, but this time...(is this the same beer>)

m: Short mouthfeel, that of a ale that is dry and quick off the palate.

d: Not the most drinkable beer, not that I do not enjoy the style or the ale, but a pepper or spiced beer is in my preference best enjoyed time to time. Maybe I will wait a week before more.

notes: Rouge, taking the brewing to another limit and the result is this bright, and tasty chipotle beer. Really good, perhaps the best pepper beer I have had in a long time.

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pint poured on tap at Publick House into American pint glass. Intrigued by this, thought I would like. Wrong.

A: Another apple juice looking drink. Slight head and too much bubbles.

N: Spice and smoke were there, with some malt background. No bitterness or hops in the aroma.

T: Chipotle definitely present, almost reminded me of a bloody mary sting. Not enjoyable in a beer, not here at least. The taste came off as a bit hokey and not naturally built off the base of the beer.

M: A bit rich, spices dont marry well. Too much carbonation to balance out.

D: I guess if your up for spices or what not, you may like but it doesnt come across well. First beer from Rogue I found undrinkable. Just not my cup o tea.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.11/5  rDev -12.6%

No chipotle taste at all.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

2.78/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As much as I love Rogue, there was no way I was shelling out $5 for this. I expected Rogue's take on Mexican-style beers ... boy, was I wrong. My friend got one so I had to try it out and review it.

It pours out a lightly gold color that, when examined against the light, almost reveals hints of green. Ugh. The head was average and it left a few rings.

The nose on this one was interesting. There is a mild hoppiness mixed with a slight hint of spiciness. Malt presence isn't at the forefront. I also am presented with something akin to a Mexican restaurant ... hmm ...

Wow. What a strange cacophony of tastes. There is a distinctly dry and bitter hop twang and then a strange sour wave. There is a mild burning sensation on the palate, the first reminder of the chipotle peppers.

Overall I was not too impressed with this beer. It was bought on a whim by a friend and I might have otherwise not tried it. The "best" part of the beer for me was the lingering residual pepper effect. The further and further you got down on the pint you'd notice a slight heat in your stomach rising upwards. Could be dangerous for those with heartburn issues. I would like to try this with some Spanish or Mexican cuisine, however.

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle, chilled into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy amber color with a nice bit of creamy (1/2") and tan head taht clings nicely to the glass as it slowly dissipates.

Aroma is mainly of some herbal and floral hops, while a bit of caramel and pepper hits my nose also. I can tell there's a bit of spice in there.

Sipping at first I get a lot of sweet caramel, along with a bittering, herbal hop flavor. A bit of spice and pepper comes through, but reminds me a bit of black pepper on the finish, and really wasn't what I expected. It leaves my lips tingling a little, so maybe the PEPPER IS IN THERE!?

Body is nicely balanced with nice sweetness and then bitterness. Body is medium with a nice mild carbonation and tingle from the pepper maybe.

Overall, more drinkable than expected. I've tried Cave Creek Chili Beer before, and it was near unbearable, so when I picked this up, it was more an experiment. A good one! Cheers!

3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.43/5  rDev -3.7%

Slightly amber with moderate white head that gives some lace in my pilsner glass. Smell is peppery spice with malt backing it up and even a touch of smoke(?). The taste is a very refined and contained chile flavor the plays well with the malt and remains it the dry finish of the beer. I dug this beer and it went well with my pull beef sandwich. Drinking this by itself might be much for me but I think this beer shines when paired with food or split in a day of drinking.

4.03/5  rDev +13.2%

Picked up this 12oz single for $2.59 at Barb's Beer Emporium in Concord NH. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Cloudy reddish gold brew gives a thick tan head that leaves a thick carpet of lace on the glass. The nose is really interesting- fairly typical thick semi-sweet bready malts, but then an unmistakable spicy red pepper bite. The taste is very much the same though adds a bit of smokiness, presumably also from the chipotle. Mouthfeel is moderately thick with appropriate carbonation. The spice is felt mildly starting with the first sip but really develops and lingers long into the finish, a pleasant warming burn. Very interesting, not something I'd drink regularly, but I'm glad I tried it and would have it again on occasion.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales