Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

Slightly amber with moderate white head that gives some lace in my pilsner glass. Smell is peppery spice with malt backing it up and even a touch of smoke(?). The taste is a very refined and contained chile flavor the plays well with the malt and remains it the dry finish of the beer. I dug this beer and it went well with my pull beef sandwich. Drinking this by itself might be much for me but I think this beer shines when paired with food or split in a day of drinking.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Picked up this 12oz single for $2.59 at Barb's Beer Emporium in Concord NH. Served cold in a chilled pint glass.

Cloudy reddish gold brew gives a thick tan head that leaves a thick carpet of lace on the glass. The nose is really interesting- fairly typical thick semi-sweet bready malts, but then an unmistakable spicy red pepper bite. The taste is very much the same though adds a bit of smokiness, presumably also from the chipotle. Mouthfeel is moderately thick with appropriate carbonation. The spice is felt mildly starting with the first sip but really develops and lingers long into the finish, a pleasant warming burn. Very interesting, not something I'd drink regularly, but I'm glad I tried it and would have it again on occasion.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%

Bomber poured into a pint glass, shared with a friend.

A-Orange -amber beer with a white head on top, slowly receding to a thin layer.

S-The smell is overwhelmed by chipotle peppers. That's pretty much it.

T-As with the smell, chipotle peppers hijack this beer's flavor. Other beer characters are largely covered by the peppers' flavor. A slight heat on the otherwise smokey finish.

M-Medium body with appropriate carbonation.

D-I did not care for this beer. I think the pepper flavors were too prominent, which left no room for other beer flavors to represent. An interesting beer to try, but I won't be trying this one again in the future.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

4.42/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance: Poured from the bottle with a reddish brown color and a thin white head. The head has some nie stickiness and leaves a good amount of lacing on the sides of my sniffer glass.

Smell: Wow, this smells like a smoked beer (Rauchbier). It smells roasty and like roasted vegetables.

Taste: Very smokey, malty, and roasty. It has a veggie character to it and some sweetness. There is a sweet flavor of roasted pepper skin as well as black peppercorns and a fresh cut grass. This a very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth. Coats the mouth well and allows me to enjoy the flavor with all of my taste buds.

Drinkability: Very good, very tasty and original. It'[s smooth and well done. I really like the roasted pepper taste in here.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a clear, amber hue, with a white head, that holds for a few minutes and falls to a single layer of bubbles. Chipotle smokiness is present in the mostly malty aroma. A pretty standard amber ale, with caramel malt flavors and spicy hops. A bit papery in the middle; oxidized perhaps, or maybe just the effect of adding chiles to the beer. With a fairly bitter finish. Just a touch of Chipotle flavor and a just a hint of heat in the finish. I expected a little more heat and a little more smokiness. Would probably go well with some Mexican food, but on its own the chile flavor is a bit odd.

3.47/5  rDev -3.3%

i am a chef at a dogfish and i was blown away by this beer

A - Orangish color with off white head. Head dissipated very quickly. Very nice presentation.

S - Hoppy with a light smoked flavoring

T - I really .like the subtle chipotle taste. Especially with a spicy beer.

M - Thick but not too thick. Very nice.

D - Not so much. Not a session beer by any means.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

A- Slightly red clear amber with off-white head that poured huge, left huge lacing, the head lasted a really long time as well.
S- pretty much all slightly sweet malt, only a slight twinge of spiciness on the nose at the finish
T- Pretty smooth, a light malty smoothness, followed by a slight chili pepper spicyness which replaces the hop flavor.
M- a sharper carbonation which fits well with the chili. Has a slightly light body, however nothing of detriment to the beer
D- pretty solid, a slightly spicy flavor that i hadnt had before, and is balanced well, providing an interesting and different finish of chili instead of hops

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

Picked this beer up as a fathers day gift along with a few other brew. I lucky got to split this with my dad.

Appearance: Poured brown, very thin head minimal lacing..

Smell: Smoked, chipotle and a certain sweetness i cant place

Taste: As with smell its smoke, a slight pepper bite on the first sip
with a lingering heat that is getting hotter as i drink it.

Mouthfeel: full bodied

Drinkability: only one i will drink probably couldn't finish a bomber by myself

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a beautiful clear copper with 1 finger of slightly thin head.

S: Slightly metallic and ferric with a prevailing smokiness; underscored by a subtle tropical fruit and hop-like sweetness.

T: A whole grain bread-like malt lays out the base for this brew. This is complemented by a tangy peppery kick. The smokiness of the chipotle peppers is definitely prominent here. It finishes with a tingly spice that's not too overpowering but still retains a strong bite.

M: The active carbonation complements the spiciness of the beer well, almost as if to preempt the aftertaste.

D: I think a couple sips of this is enough to satisfy my curiosity of the flavor, but I found myself having trouble finishing the bottle. This is definitely beer with character. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll try it again.

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%

A- clear amber color, good retention on a off white head, soapy lacing

S- spicy, dry, and peppery

T- spicy, distant citric hop in aftertaste, dry, roasted malts, peppery, toasted malts, spicy and hot aftertaste

M- smooth, medium body that drys and is hot and spicy

D- interesting and worth a try, flavoring is amazing but not enjoyable for me

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

3.34/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.91/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a clear ruby amber with a medium tan head, well carbonated. Aroma is sweet and malty, not much in the way of herbs or peppers to be found.

Taste is mostly malt, toasted and bready-sweet with a touch of herbal dryness. Nothing immediate in the way of chile flavors, as one would expect, but a subtle, smokey vegetal chile element builds over time. No perceptable heat at all, at least by me. Yawn.

Mouthfeel is medium and clean, easy to drink. The chiles lend a nice earthiness but it would be hard to characterize this alongside other chile beers. A good choice with the chipotles but you could double or triple the amount (chipotles are among the mildest peppers) and get a much better beer.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales