Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,400 |  Reviews: 698
2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

Picked this beer up as a fathers day gift along with a few other brew. I lucky got to split this with my dad.

Appearance: Poured brown, very thin head minimal lacing..

Smell: Smoked, chipotle and a certain sweetness i cant place

Taste: As with smell its smoke, a slight pepper bite on the first sip
with a lingering heat that is getting hotter as i drink it.

Mouthfeel: full bodied

Drinkability: only one i will drink probably couldn't finish a bomber by myself

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Pours a beautiful clear copper with 1 finger of slightly thin head.

S: Slightly metallic and ferric with a prevailing smokiness; underscored by a subtle tropical fruit and hop-like sweetness.

T: A whole grain bread-like malt lays out the base for this brew. This is complemented by a tangy peppery kick. The smokiness of the chipotle peppers is definitely prominent here. It finishes with a tingly spice that's not too overpowering but still retains a strong bite.

M: The active carbonation complements the spiciness of the beer well, almost as if to preempt the aftertaste.

D: I think a couple sips of this is enough to satisfy my curiosity of the flavor, but I found myself having trouble finishing the bottle. This is definitely beer with character. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I'll try it again.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%

A- clear amber color, good retention on a off white head, soapy lacing

S- spicy, dry, and peppery

T- spicy, distant citric hop in aftertaste, dry, roasted malts, peppery, toasted malts, spicy and hot aftertaste

M- smooth, medium body that drys and is hot and spicy

D- interesting and worth a try, flavoring is amazing but not enjoyable for me

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

2.91/5  rDev -18.9%

Pours a clear ruby amber with a medium tan head, well carbonated. Aroma is sweet and malty, not much in the way of herbs or peppers to be found.

Taste is mostly malt, toasted and bready-sweet with a touch of herbal dryness. Nothing immediate in the way of chile flavors, as one would expect, but a subtle, smokey vegetal chile element builds over time. No perceptable heat at all, at least by me. Yawn.

Mouthfeel is medium and clean, easy to drink. The chiles lend a nice earthiness but it would be hard to characterize this alongside other chile beers. A good choice with the chipotles but you could double or triple the amount (chipotles are among the mildest peppers) and get a much better beer.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance- Rust color with an off white head

Smell- Sweet and smoky. Possible hint of peppers.

Taste- A very smoky taste to it. In the aftertaste I could taste a slight hint of peppers.

Mouthfeel- A medium body with light carbonation.

Drinkability- It isn't a bad beer. Maybe a bit pricey but not too bad.

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from a 650 mL bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a reddish-tan color with a thick foamy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing.

Smell: Malty with a kind of musky roasted pepper aroma in the background.

Taste: Tastes like, well, chipotle. Has a roasted pepper taste that pretty much masks whatever else this beer has to offer. Not too spicy, but the pepper flavor is a little overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Light, and pretty refreshing. The peppers add a nice bite to this as well.

Drinkability: An interesting beer. If you're looking for something interesting to pair with tacos (I did) or Mexican food, this might be the beer for it. Not necessarily something I will go to in the future, but worth a try.

2.22/5  rDev -38.2%

I can't be sure, but I think the nitro totally destroyed this beer. I'm always willing to give nitro a shot and thought this one would be interesting but nope, it was not interesting at all.

Two fingers of bubbly nitro head. Body is copper. Nothing much by way of aroma, which makes me sad. Seriously, there is nothing discernible here. Flavors are watery and reminiscent of plastic. What follows is heavy biscuit malts. The mouthfeel is flat and thin, and bitter residuals are left behind but nothing with great flavor. What the hell happened here? Where's the smokiness? Where are my chipotle flavors?? This is not what the doctor ordered. I'll be sure to try it again in a bottle and fix up my review if I need to...

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

A - This beer poured a orange copperish color that produced a fluffy white head that had decent retention and laced the side of the glass moderately

S - The aroma produced by this beer were spicy, smoked peppers

T - The taste of this beer was more pleasant as opposed to the reviews I have read for this beer, sweet malts balance very well with the smoked, spicy flavor of the pepper, while the heat was present, it didn't scorch my tongue or stay around

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - This beer was a lot better than I thought it would be, which goes to show you don't be shy about trying new things, but being in NO we love our spices, so should have figured that a Chile Ale from Rogues would be good

2.29/5  rDev -36.2%

After having a fresh chili pepper porter from 3rd Wave and falling in love, maybe I'm biased. This beer did not live up to the hype for me. Lacking pepper flavor all together.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a medium amber color, clear, with a thin, foamy beige head. Aroma was a nice blend of sweet malts, earthy hops and peppery hotness. I knew I was in for a ride.

The initial flavor is nothing too wild, until the pepper aftertaste gently burns the back of your throat. Reminiscent of a rauchbier, but with a kick. It's jolting-- almost as if you're drinking a spicy V8 in your beer. But the more I drank, the more I enjoyed it. The hotness never became overbearing, and the earthy hops and sugar balanced out well enough. I'm always on the lookout for unique beers, and this one is one of the most unique I've ever had. That said, one bomber was plenty.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours with a soild finger of head with a dark mahogany coloring

The smell reminds me of smoked deli meats and ketchup. Interesting and unlike most other chili beers I have tried

The taste is what is most took caught my attention, instead of the pepper spicyness it is more like a rauchbier. Very tasty version of the style.

M/D - The mouthfeel is quite good, but I think that this is something my palate could only take one of

3.95/5  rDev +10%

A- Out of the bottle with a full finger of light cream head over a beer with a orange color, tinted with red (just as the beer is tinted w/ chile...) to turn it towards the bronze spectrum. Not really any lacing.

S- The chipotle is definitely noticeable here, very much like the canned product, or a dried chile. It smells quite smoky, and spicy. As the beer warms, some different flavors come out- grass and pale malt.

T- Again, the chipotle is very noticeable. I was expecting hot spiciness but really only the flavor is there (see below for more). And there's a decent amount of hops as well, tending towards earthy-grassy variety of flavors. A beer that doesn't overwhelm.

M- My entire tongue is stimulated with this one. The sweetness sticks to the front; the spiciness sits in the middle; and the bitter hops are at the back. A complete package of mouthfeels. Very nice.

O- As expected this would pair great with some food. I was expecting a lot hotter beer. But this is really chipotle flavor with only a tint of heat. Well done.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Rogue Chipotle Ale is a dark amber color with just a little haze. There is a 1/2" off-white head that falls off to a spotted cap. Little lacing.

The aroma is smoky and woody. There is kind of a rubbery smell. I get kind of a V-8 Hot and Spicy tomato juice kind of feel out of the aroma. The hops are detectable in the background.

The intitial flavor is a fairly intense smokiness. This is balanced with a light roasted taste and a good hop bite in the finish. Salty with some hint of tomato (first for a beer description for me!). The spiciness doesn't appear until long after the liquid is swallowed. A nice warm feeling from the peppers coats the mouth.

This beer struck me as having a somewhat oily, medium-bodied mouthfeel. Good carbonation. The beer was semi-low on the drinkability scale for me only because this beer is not my bag. A 12oz. sample would have sufficed for me. Very unique and worth a try.

4.07/5  rDev +13.4%

First time I've ever tried a "Chile Beer," glad I get to try something from a company I'm fairly familiar with, here goes:

In a pint glass:

A: light amber colored body, really nice looking foamy lumpy white two finger head appears and lasts for a good three minutes before gently dieing into the body. Some carbonation is seen rising. Some spotty lacing is left.

S: wow, I can really smell the jalapeno peppers (honestly, I was a bit skeptical and thought it would be just another amber that displays undertones of peppers)

T: the same adding a very dry smokey aftertaste.

M: medium and sharp on the tongue, possibly because of the peppers that were added (just an assumption, but unfamiliar with the style so slightly unsure). I'm liking this "hot" feel rushing over my tongue after about five minutes of having a couple sips of this, interesting.

O: I've been wanting to try this for a very long time. I'm glad I was finally able to find one. I'm not sure if this is only a "Spring" beer anymore since only recently I saw a large amount added to Bow Street Market, Freeport, Maine. I guess its good for its style since it displays the normal smell and taste of "hot and spicy food" the mouthfeel I'm unsure of and am making an assumption on that part, but I think I would come back to this. I wonder how this would pair with chocolate cake at dessert?

3.34/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

3.94/5  rDev +9.7%

A- Brilliantly clear dark amber with a moderate sized off-white head.

A- Malty aroma with light pepper and smoke.

T- The pepper is far from overpowering and took a few sips before any sort of pepper heat developed. It was a light heat sensation.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation, very smooth drinking beer.

D- Very drinkable pepper beer. The chipotle was far from overpowering and could have been increased without being offensive.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales