Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,400 |  Reviews: 698
3.82/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a hazy brown with almost an inch of head. The smell is one of th emost unique I've experienced. Somewhat smells like ketchup with some smoke on the side. Not barbecue sauce, definitely ketchup.

The taste reminds me of a rachbier with a much spicier character. I like it better than a traditional Bamberg style rauchbier with a very spicy aftertaste. I kind of like it and I think it would be fantastic in the right situation.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours a light copper topped with a finger and a half of white head. Retention isn't great, but is nothing to complain about. Smell is faint but very distinct chipotle peppers. Taste - smooth mild and smoky chipotle pepper taste that is very genuine. The chipotle is the main taste in the beer, but is not in-your-face. There is a very thin malt sweetness at first that comes and then goes, accompanied by a carbonic bite and finally a bone dry semi-bitter finish, but no real hop flavor. High carbonation, bordering on fizzy, but never going over the top. I think this would go great with some BBQ.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%

From a 650 mL bottle, I pour some Chipotle Ale into a pint glass. This presents a rusty red body with a brief white head. My nostrils are not set aflame by smelling it and I'm taking that as a good sign since I'm on Prilosec and all. Pepper presence is quite faint in the aroma; hops are more pronounced here.

No matter how much I've read about chile beers, I couldn't imagine how something like this would really taste. That's pretty much why I bought this stuff in the first place; it piqued my curiosity. Now I have a better idea:

At first I couldn't even detect it. Then, after a few sips, it was there. Like it says on the bottle, this beer is *delicately spiced* with smoked jalapeño (i.e. chipotle) peppers. So I start to pick up said spice in the usual areas of the tongue as well as said smokiness. I also notice that my lips are feeling it too and are a little parched by the experience, as usual when I have something spicy.

I think Rogue has the right level of heat here, balancing almost perfectly with the sweetness of the malts they use. The heat from the peppers is high enough that it's noticeable but not too high that it dominates the flavor profile and razes your taste buds. Not only would it pair well with Mexican food, but I also think it would do well with some good chocolate. Yes, I would like another but not too many.

3.91/5  rDev +8.9%

Pours a dark amber with a good deal of head, albeit dissipating slowly. Smells very early -- subtle hops, and a hint of the chipotle peppers. Nothing fantastic here. The taste is interesting, but I west left wanting more. The complexity isn't what I expected from a "peppery" ale. While I can taste a touch of the chipotle peppers in the aftertaste, it was never the focus nor an integral part of the ale. What was striking is the warmth of flavor and I don't mean temperature. The mouthfeel is exhilarating as the flavor is consistent while the liquid is on the palate, finishing nicely with a hint of pepper. I liked the overall feeling and general warm tasting deliciousness, but I would have liked more chipotles in the overall taste and especially in the smell. Good brew.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

A- So this is one of those beers that you always see, but are kinda afraid of...I took my chances today....The beer poured a clear dark amber color with some orangish tints. The head was a 1/6 of an inch and left a white lace around the glass.
S- Smokey, spicy. The chili pepper is definitely predominant. There is also a very mild sweetness....it really reminds me of some kind of hot sauce, but not quite as spicy.
T- the pepper hits at the tip of the tongue, and in the finish. The body is rounded out with some sweet malts(which at first appear to balance the flavor), but then the chili kicks back in. There is a long lingering after taste of chili pepper....and some times even salsa.
M/D- The ale is medium bodied, medium to low carbonation...It is an interesting beer, and as I sit here with it I can really appreciate it, but it is definitely not something that I would drink very often. I has taken me a really long time to finish this bomber....its a slow drinker.

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

2.74/5  rDev -23.7%

Had this unusual beer at the “Rogue Fest” in December 2005 at Summits Wayside Tavern in Sandy Springs, GA. They somehow have close ties with Rogue Brewery and get unusual kegs. I was skeptical about this one and avoided it on a few trips. I do love chipotle sauce and beer but didn’t know about combining them. Poured like standard ale, a clear golden amber with a little bit of quickly disappearing head. The smell is of beer and yep chipotle sauce! Smells pleasant like a backyard BBQ. The mouthfeel was a little flat. The taste was OK, mildly hoppy ale with a heavy chipotle finish. It grew on me a bit as I drank it but can’t say I would have another. It’s a novelty though. Glad I tried it.

3.99/5  rDev +11.1%

I paired this beer with some pizza on a nice fall night and was pleasantly suprised. While at first I did not care for the beer after a few sips I really began enjoying it.

A - A nice rich hazy copper color with a nice little white lace that has very good retention. The beer poured nicely and gave it a very attractive pour. I served it in a goblet and felt that it was a good choice.

S - The smell was the best by far as this beer offered up some nice smoky malts with a subtle sweetness to it. It was tangy anf toothy in parts and and even had some fruitiness to it. Pepper and spices were very prevelant and were even more present as this beer warmed.

T - Smooth and sweet with a ncie tangy toothiness to it. The pepper and spices became very prevelant as the beer warmed up. There was some great smoky malt flavor to it. The beer had a small bite but it was there.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an orangey-amber color with some lacy white swirls of suds, but not much head formation. The nose is pretty slight, with some malt and some pepper. Starts with a big smokey flavor, but it balances nicely with the sweet malt and the pepper flavors. The finish is where the pepper comes alive. Great length. Strong smoke, malt and pepper, that ironically amounts to a very clean profile (if you really love those flavors). This is a perfect 10 BBQ beer. Like many of Rogue's ales, it has a very thin body, but that works very well with this style.. refreshing!

This ale would go so well with so many summer foods, it's amazing.

3.95/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: This is a nice thick burnt orange color with about a half inch of head that dissipates quickly to form a thin layer lingering just on top of the brew. Lacing is decent

Smell: Spicy peppers like chipotle and nice bready notes as well.

Taste: Very good ale taste with the perfect amount of pepper flavoring. It finishes nice a spicey hot but just enough to notice it and not enough to have you reaching for a cup of water.

Mouthfeel: A very smooth beer but the heat created by the added pepper makes this a pretty sharp beer.

Drinkability: You can't chug this stuff at all, just enjoy this slowly and enjoy the complexity of flavor.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

I love peppers. I love beer. So why not try them together? My experience with spiced or pepper beers has largely been limited to the famous - or infamous - Cave Creek Chili Beer. I've always had a soft spot for that beer, though it's admittedly gross now that I've moved on to bigger and badder beers. Pours a red bordering on copper. Nice balooning head with some pretty impressive amount of lacing. Moderate carbonation levels. Aroma is all smokey chipotle pepper and not much else. If you're not a fan of the chipotle favor it'll be pretty overwhelming. Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied, with low carbonation. Flavor is smoked chili powder mixed into a red ale. Medium caramel sweetness in the finish with some temperate pepper. This beer would go great with barbecue, like burnt ends or spare ribs. Standing alone it's merely an interesting execution on the pepper beer style, heads and shoulders above Cave Creek but lacking something. Pair something with it - I pulled out some local smoked pepper jack cheese - and it really shines.

2.73/5  rDev -24%

It's rare that I don't care for a Rogue beer, but chile beer is far from a beer I can recommend. Maybe if drunk with a Mexican meal it would be complimentary but otherwise it's just unpleasant and funky. This beer was too acidic and the aftertaste was just plain rough. Not anything you would want to burp repetitively I can assure you. I think the adjuncts of chiles added to me feeling terrible the next day. It cannot be solely to blame due to my indiscretionary excess but it didn't help either. I might attempt this one again with Mexican cuisine but no time soon.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Poured with some foamy off white head that dissipated to a thin layer leaving some lacing at the top of my glass. The beer is a pretty translucent orange gold.

Smell: Roasted malt, roasted spicy pepper, very small amount of caramel sweetness

Taste: Roasted malt, some hop bitterness, roasted pepper, small spicy pepper flavor, then finishes with a small sweet malt.

Mouthfeel: Starts with some carbonation, medium bodied, small tingle from the bit of hops, then turns to a spice tingle. Mouth gets hot for a moment then finishes smooth.

Overall: Very easy to drink, the spicy pepper aspect is pretty light so most people will enjoy this beer. Nice sweetness to balance the spiciness. I could easily have a couple of these, especially while eating some good mexican food.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

I happen to love this beer. I had it about 6 year ago in LA but now that it is on the East Coast, I had to revisit it.

Looks great. A nice amber color with ample, slightly off-white head. Good lacing.

Smell is hoppy, spicy and grassy. There is a nice bit of smokiness as well. Not as much peppery aroma as I expected but very pleasing.

Taste is great. Malty smokiness up front with a nice hop balance. Finishes nicely with a peppery bite. Very satisfying. This would go particulary well with spicy food or a hot summer day.

Mouthfeel is also very nice. It is well balanced. A good bit of syrupy sweetness balanced with a prickly hop/pepper bit on the tongue.

Very drinkable. I liken it to a rauchbier as well. Very similar in taste, aroma and mouthfeel. It's easier to drink too. I will go back for more.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales