Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699
3.53/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug with a generous frosting of tan billowing head. This beer is a clear orange copper color that looks to be leaning more towards the garnet side of things. I don't really know what to expect from a chipotle ale but I like roasted peppers and I like ale... well why not.

The smell is just what the label says. A chipotle ale. There is a nice smoked nose from the roasted peppers with a mask of malts. This beer is not all about a peppery bouquet but if you've ever lived in the southwest then you know that almost woody scent.

The taste is not unlike an adobo sauce. There is a smoky, earthy pepper flavor that is the dominate feature followed by a sweet maltiness. Those flavors are only present in the first few pulls because soon a spiciness and heat from the peppers out weigh most of the taste sensations.

I feel like a Chile Beer is a novelty act. This one tastes good if your in the mood for some sadist beer drinking. Don't get me wrong, I love spicy food and a good beer but I get real tired of this one fast. I judge beer mostly on whether or not I'd buy it again. As for appearance, smell, taste, yada yada yada, this one gets semi high marks but only when confined to the style. Other then for cooking I would never buy this beer again.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

A: It's a slightly hazy reddish copper with a decent sized white head that settles quickly, doesn't leave much lacing, and doesn't retain well. The color is really nice, and I'm not sure that a chile beer would be able to sustain a large head, so I'm not docking it too much.

S: It's got a really sweet aroma mixed with some smokey pepper aromas and perhaps even a hint of fruitiness. It's not really spicy or anything, but I really like it. The understated smokiness is really nice.

T&M: Mmm, it's quite good. There's a definite sweet malt base that is supported adequately with a slightly fruity hop character. The peppers are there, but not extremely offensive. There's a smoky character throughout, but the heat comes in on the finish. This is a solid beer. Body is on the lighter side of medium, and the carbonation is decent, but could be a tad stronger.

D: Obviously, one wouldn't want to session this beer, but it's quite drinkable because the intensity from the peppers isn't overbearing, though the flavor is sufficient. Another solid beer from Rogue.

3.95/5  rDev +10%

Poured a relatively nice orange/red color, though i can't be too too sure since I was in a dark restaurant when i got it. There was almost no head apparent, even when I swirled it around in the pint glass.

It smelt interesting and had some hops come through as well as some small amount of peppery, yet not extremely spicy flavor. It was obviously composed in balance as it was difficult to identify many distinguishable aromas.

The taste was actually very smooth and enjoyable to drink. It started as a slightly hoppy amber and progressed into a cayenne pepper flavor. Although my last experience with a "funky" beer was unenjoyable, this was actually decent. I paired it with some Mexican food, which really was the right idea.

The mouth feel was decent and although I could have gone with a tiny bit more viscosity, I enjoyed it as it went down. Furthermore, I felt that it was extremely drinkable as before I had even realized, I pretty much killed the beer.

Definitely an enjoyable beer. I'm glad I didn't listen to some warnings from others; for an interesting beer, this is a great try that's worth coming back for again.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber.

Medium burnt red color with 2" white fluffy head, great head retention and fairly crystal clear.

Initialy has a large hop aroma with a little bit of spice to back it up.

Malty flavor up front with a large spice note on the back of the tongue. This beer leaves a fairly large spice flavor on the back of your mouth. Definetly a "chipotle" kinda flavor but more of a generic spice than a specific one.

Im usually not a fan of this style of specialy ale but this really was quite the tasty beer, kinda a malty brown ale with a big addition of spice. Probably something I will buy again, though Im not sure when.

3.41/5  rDev -5%

22oz bomber

A - Pours a brown to amber hue with a similarly colored head. Lots of color generating malts in this beer. Little head retention or lacing.

S - I don't smell much of anything. Some small malty notes. If there is any pepper smell here, its very late and very light.

T - Start and mid-finish are quite malty. More than I would have expected for a "pepper ale". I do detect some flavors from the rogue signature pacman yeast. Finishes with the smokey flavors I was hunting for.

M - A decent body to the beer. Carbonation bite is present. Not sure if this is considered mouthfeel, but the beer does leave behind the signature spicy burn of chipotle peppers.

D - The flavors play subtly, so that doesn't wear on me as in some other of these single ingredient emphasized beers. Not too filling.

This beer feels like a series of wrongs that add up to a right. Each attribute has deficient areas, but all together they seem overall minor. Good beer and will become my beer of choice for the chile beer category.

4.17/5  rDev +16.2%

Ok, this is what it is, a very spicy well crafted beer of it's kind. You will like it if you are a fan of hot buffalo chicken wings. If you can't stand the heat...stay out of the kitchen! I feel it's one of the best of it's type, and worth a try. Don't be a "cry baby", try something different for a change.

2.15/5  rDev -40.1%

A- Pours a nice amber color with a lackluster white head.

S- Very elusive on the nose, a touch of malts and yeast. WEird fake smokey scent as well.

T- Ugh I guess chili beers are not for me cause this tastes like a straight can of chewing tobacco with a cayenne backer.

D- I had to pour this down the drain first beer Ive ever done this with.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

Large capped bottle, poured into a pint.

Amber in color, nice white head, average retention, lots of lacing.
Interesting and powerful aroma; lots of malts in here, caramel, roasted tones, and profound spiciness; peppers, of course.
It tastes something like a heavier malted amber ale, with a lot of spiciness, and some spicy heat to make it interesting, without being over the board as I was afraid. All in all, quite tasty, and not offensive. I am glad I tried.

3.92/5  rDev +9.2%

Another worthy entry to the wonderful line of Rogue beers. Pours a nice dark amber into my glass, with minimal head. Taste is smooth before a mild bite of heat at the end. There is a lingering oily heat present from the peppers that are infused into the beer, and a smokiness that reminds me a bit of Alaska's vaunted Smoked Porter. This would go great with some spicy Mexican food. Bravo!

2.58/5  rDev -28.1%

This brew is a clear amber color with a thick and creamy off-white head that recedes slowly. Thin rings of lacing on the glass. Smokey aroma with prominent peppers and light hops. Medium-bodied with flavors of spicy pepper, sweet malt and citrus hops. The finish is spicy with a fresh pepper aftertaste. Maybe I am still gunshy years after my Cave Creek experience but I really want nothing to do with these types of beers.

Poured the bomber into a pint glass, pours a orange color with a foamy white head that leavs on lace on the glass. Smell is of roasted pepper, with hints of mellow malt. Taste is a bit different, first when tasting it my toungue had a cooling senstation, then as I swallowed my throat had a burning fee. I could taste the nice malt character with a smoked pepper feel as it slipped down my throat. This when godo with the salsa I was eating that night, overall I enjoyed this and the peppery taste made my mouth water for more.

4.32/5  rDev +20.3%

My 1st chile beer and I'm excited to try a flavor in my beer that I know I like on my food. 22oz bomber with no freshness date.

A- Looks like a dark amber pale ale. Decent 2-finger creamy head from a basic pour and minimal lacing.

S- Definite chipotle(roasted cayenne I believe). Some earthy malts in there as well.

T- The chile flavor and heat is subdued by a generous portion of sweet, earthy, almost-bready malts. You can definitely feel the heat but, as expected, it doesn't linger as long as it does in food. Some citrus hops in there but I would've liked more.

M&D- Dry and hot. Consume with powerful food.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bomber into the oversized Red Oak mug.

Wow - this pours up like a DIPA...thick, bread-dough head topping a deep copper-mahogany body. Head is only a finger thick but it sticks for quite a while. Same with second pour - this really shows off well.

Definitely dominant chipotle - sort of like taking a whiff of the dry stuff in the huge jar from Costco in my spice cabinet. The malt is present in the backbone but most all else is overpowered by chipotle.

Fortunately the pepper is more subdued on the palate. The solid malt backbone is quite woody and there's a slight hop pine. There's a little tinny aftertaste that comes and goes.

Aside from that intermittent tinny tinge, this doesn't get on too badly for the palate. There's smoke, charcoal and mild pepper heat. Then there's even a little pepper acidity that blends with that stocky malt profile and maybe some pine and grass hops for a woodsy, solid finish.

All in all this drinks like a light, spicy rauchbier with a good malt feel for an ale. The acidity of the peppers and the hop bill contribute well to what would inherently be a low drinkability quotient for me, but this really isn't too bad at all. Worked well with my bowl of chili, too.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

A - Amber to brown in color with a 1 finger head. Decent retention and okay lacing.

S - There is spicy pepper and also a smoky aroma. Seems like it is all muddled together to smell really nice.

T - A strangley sweet smokeyness from the peppers with a hole lot of biscuity malts. Only mildly spicy but that is about all that I would want from a pepper beer.

M - Medium bodied and the good carbonation kind of adds a little tingle to the mild spiciness.

D - This beer is strangely beautiful. First pepper beer that i've tried and me likey.

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Pour from a 22 ouncer in to a pint glass.

This poured an amber color with a decent white head that dissipated into a thin veneer of foam and left a trail of lace down the side of the glass.

The smell is of hops and maybe a bit of pepper. Possibly a bit of malt, although that is debatable.

Taste is hoppy and the backtaste is peppery. I really like the warm feel that goes down as I swallow the beer. I would personally like the peppery taste to be more at the fore while it was in my mouth, but maybe I just had an older brew.

Mouthfeel is carbonated, with a bite. It is a very drinkable beer, although I would prefer something that is a bit spicier.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz bomber into nonic.

Deep honey amber hue with a one finger light tan head that settles to a thin, even cap. Sticky lacing.

The grains don't show up much except to provide a sweet background. The rest of the aroma is smokey and spicy.

The flavor is a lot like the aroma: smokey flavors, along with plenty of spiciness. The malts are toasty and well hidden by the distraction of the peppers. The finish is lingering smoke and a bit of spiciness.

How much you enjoy this beer depends on how much you like spicy foods. You're not going to finish the bottle if you like to avoid spicy foods, or suffer from heartburn. You will enjoy it if you absolutely love everythig spicy. AS for me, I knocked down the drinkability just because it's hard to drink this beer. I've had Cave Creek's Chili Beer, and this is way more drinkable though. This one at least gives you a chance. Recommended (for the spicy food lover).

3.18/5  rDev -11.4%

Picked this up at Beers of the World in the ROC.

22 oz. bomber poured into a nonic.

Pours a deep clear copper hue with a fluffy three finger off-white head that slowly falls to a thin layer of cream. A bit of webbing remains on the sides of the glass throughout the tasting. Smell is musty and spicey with a touch of caramel malt. Some smoked meats and earthy hops in the nose as well. Very subtle aroma which is nice. Taste begins lightly smokey with some dusty grains and pale malts. The pepper flavor doesn't really emerge until midway with a slight kick that lingers into the aftertaste. What pepper flavor is there though, isn't much. I was expecting more, and to be honest was hoping for more. A noticable citrus hop is detected here and there throughout which reminds me that this is still a beer. As you progress drinking this, it definitely gets warmer in the mouth. Light to medium body with a prickly feel to it. A unique beer for sure, one I'm glad I tried but don't plan to revisit anytime soon. Not bad, but not great. Give it a shot if you feel adventurous.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Slightly hazy amber with about a finger of off-white head. Retention is very nice as a thin film with a thick collar remains for the duration. Moderate lacing.

S - Great smoky aroma of chipotle peppers. A smaller aroma of pale malts and light hops accentuates the peppers perfectly.

T - It tastes like peppers for sure, but it's also a bit lacking on the "beer" side of things and strikes me as borderline one-dimensional. In fact, most of the taste doesn't pull through until late palate and in the aftertaste. Early on a mild malt and slight hop character mingle with some of the smoke from the peppers. Mid palate sees the smoke heat with some character from the peppers themselves. Overall very mild until the end of the sip...then it hits like a wrecking ball. Smoke plus peppers (chipotle) hits intensely...it's almost like taking a huge whiff of chipotles; a whiff big enough where you can taste it. After the swallow, a lot of smoke character remains and suddenly the heat kicks in. It's not too bad, a lot like a tad too much red pepper on some meat, or too much black pepper on fried eggs. Hot, but managable.

M - I don't know what kind of mouthfeel would best accompany this interesting marriage of flavors, but the light body and fairly high carbonation of this brew seemed to work well enough.

D - Let's just say I hope I can make it through the rest of the bomber. The heat grows after repeated sips, and honestly it's giving me a bit of heartburn. It's a great flavor, but not exactly something I want to sip on for very long. Might be a good beer to pair with food, or better yet, a great brew to use as a base for a lot of beer/tomato juice cocktails.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a hazy/cloudy deep golden color with decent white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Aroma is very malty and peppery. Flavor is peppery with smoky notes to it as well. The mouthfeel was thin to medium. I liked this a lot, but I think one bomber would probably be my limit at any one time.

4.3/5  rDev +19.8%

FANTASTIC!!!

Slight peppery taste, medium carbonation. Honey colored. Very light lacing around the glass. Pleasure to drink. I wish I had another! Pepper taste lingers for a little bit but is never overpowering. One of my favorites from Rogue and one of the few that I don't look for hops flavor.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Pouring this from the standard Rogue 650 ml bottle, a clean fluffy head rolled up from its foggy red mass. A beautiful beer...but then I started drinking it.

Right before it touched my lips I smelt the peppers almost like a dry rub. Unfortunately that's also how it felt inside my mouth. The taste was mediocre for Rogue, which is still delightful overall.

There is much left to be desired in this beer. Yet there is still much to enjoy as is.

A- Nice hazy red coper colored beer. Finger width of light frothy foam.

S- The smell of the smoked chipotle chiles is very much alive and well. It smells good with the bread smell I'm also getting.

T- Tastes like more like a smoked paprika with a tiny touch of spice added in. This will go well with my hot wings for the night.

M- I was hoping for more spice to kick the tongues ass. I've heard a lot of people say it is too spicy for them to drink. I must have got the wimpafyed version.

D- Easy to drink, the smoked flavor is good and unique compared to other smoked beers.

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

22 picked up at the Coop for $5... I am making pulled pork and thought that the brew would be nice base for a BBQ sauce... poured about half the bottle into my shaped Sam Adams glass.

1" head above a clear copper amber brew... no real lacing.

Brew doesn't really smell spicy or smoky... more just like a standard medium American hopped Amber ale.

The chipotles are definitely there in the flavor but more of a background smoky/spicy... more smoky than spicy at first sip.. citrus hops are still there as is the standard Amber ale flavors.. Brenda says it goes great with lime flavored tortilla chips. Body is standard Amber as well... the smoky chipotle flavor is more of a novelty to me... I like to use chipotles in my Chili.. I may have to give a little bit of Rogue love to my next batch... but otherwise I don't see me picking this up again unless I am using it something I am cooking... interesting, but not my cup of tea.

3.82/5  rDev +6.4%

A- clear amber color, good retention on a off white head, soapy lacing

S- spicy, dry, and peppery

T- spicy, distant citric hop in aftertaste, dry, roasted malts, peppery, toasted malts, spicy and hot aftertaste

M- smooth, medium body that drys and is hot and spicy

D- interesting and worth a try, flavoring is amazing but not enjoyable for me

1.33/5  rDev -63%

I love chipotle spices and I love ale. But this beer did not hit my tongue in a favorable way and I had to pour most of it out. The smoky spices were overwhelming and no malt or hop flavor or aroma could break through. Very disappointing, since I am a fan of Rogue's other products.

The taste of the beer just didn't do it for me at all. It wasn't too spicy, it just tasted funky. Might have been a bad bottle, but I never want to smell this beer again!

The beer did look nice and red in the glass, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was food coloring.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales