Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States | website

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Reviews: 696 | Ratings: 1,396
2.38/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance – This one is clear brown in color with no head. It looks like a flat Marzen.

Smell – The light, weak malt nose is no match for the strong chile aroma. NassT.

Taste – I found some peaty notes that seem to say that these chiles were roasted on an open grill. It actually does taste a bit like chipotle, but in a bad sort of way.

Mouthfeel – This one is a bit bigger than light-bodied and flat. The aftertaste had me gagging.

Sinkability – Ay, caramba! Estos cervesa es muy malo.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a Schell tulip from a 22oz. bomber. Color is of dark iced tea, with a small white bubbly head that melts down to a small island of foam in the middle of the beer. I had a bottle of rogue smoke ale last week and it smells about the same, smoke. Taste is definitely of smoke for most of the sip, but leaves a chipotle tang at the end. Not anything I would call spicy (I use Tabasco at least 2 meals a day). Much better than Rogue's Smoke Ale, but nothing I would get ever again. Worth a try, though.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Burned the devil with this one on 7/22/2004. 16-oz. pour at Redbones in a shaker glass.

Hue was amber to a slight vermilion. Little head to speak of; just a faint skein. Peppery spiciness accentuated by a grotto-like outer roundness to the whole nose gay. Not sure which hot peppers were used in this – chipolte, cascabel, California hybrid, Anaheim, jalapeno, pequin, or serrano – but whatever they were, they fired right through my lips, leaving a scalding trail up my tongue, through the roof of my mouth and up into my skull. And I loved it. There also seemed to be a slight cream edge, like baker’s chocolate. The spice didn’t really catch fire until five or six seconds after each swallow. I was happy that the only other thing I was eating at Redbones on this visit was water, and not their barbecue, because I think that would have been sheer overkill. Overall, this is a medium-bodied offering and one that I would choose to have more than one of if my tongue would allow it. I truly enjoyed this unusual pour, and in the end, it packed no more heat than a few drops of Tabasco.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Almost clear copper color with a fat collar of white foam. Nose was a balanced combination of sweetness and roasted peppers, with smoky chipotle as well. Taste, too, was oily roasted peppers and a drawn out smokiness. Really grew on me as I drank it, and I would definitely order it again. Good stuff.

Had on-tap at the Rogue Public House in San Fran, where Larry told me it makes a great chaser for tequila ;)

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%

Clearish darker amber appearance, head settles to a skim in about 40 seconds. Laces in very fine strings on the side of the glass. Aroma is relatively subtle, smokey with a rustic rye bread maltiness, prickly and spicy. Medium mouthfeel overall, but with a mask of fullness. Pepper is certainly apparent in the flavor profile, and early -- generates heat by the third sip. Hops play in tune with the spiciness, there's an onion skin bittering in the aftertaste. Chile beers are one of the few that I rarely have a favorite in, but there is a better sense of sweet malt balance here than in many. I still have trouble finishing a whole bomber of this one, though. Intriguing aroma.

3.74/5  rDev +4.2%

Presentation: 22 oz. Bomber - love their designs.

Appearance - Poured thick slightly yellowish head with big, squirmy bubbles. dissipates to thin film after a few minutes. Deep red, slightly brownish translucent hue. Really nice color.

Smell - decent malty pale ale aroma. very much like an average Pale Ale actually.

Mouthfeel - light/medium bodied beer. perhaps a little oily after awhile (possibly because of the pepper) but nothing offensive.

Taste - good carbonation up front, slight chipotle spiciness already. good hoppy/chili spice up front. Balanced moderate malty sweetness and slight aromatic, but hardly bitter hopiness at the back of the mouth. Then the chipotle really takes over leaving a decently hot/spicy taste all over the mouth and lips. A little bit of the sweetness lingers as well, feeling a bit odd with the chipotle. Hint of bitterness also lingers at the back of the mouth. Interesting combination. Suprisingly well balanced chipolte hotness with an otherwise average ale taste.

Definitely drinkable, but don't expect a refreshing cold one or anything.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%

Served in the 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass. The color is amber, with a layer of bubbly white head. The smell is malty with a very slight pepper spiciness in it. The taste starts with the pale ale-ish malt and then a very strong medium Scoville pepper burn hits, and leaves a bit of a numbness in the mouth. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, this is one that's tough to finish the pint, much less have another.

Usually, I drink beer to quell a spice burning, not to bring one on. In moderation, this is a unique and interesting beer. However, this really doesn't have much sessionability due to the heavy pepper spice. Still, one glass is interesting, and I'm glad that Rogue took the chance on the experiment, and I'd probably have a glass again.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

how did this find its way to vegas? owell. i admit it didnt sound all that tastey, some dude described it heart burn in a bottle...but i couldnt not try it. bought a bomber and brought it home to see someone had gone to baja fresh and had tons of left over chips and salsa. seems like a good pairing. this poured out a clear reddish/copper with a nice bubbly white head. the aroma is nothing intense, a pleasant light mixture of smoke, peppers and malt. upon first taste, i thought...its alright. but then i took another and another and so on, and it got alot better. light smokiness matched up with a lightly sweet malt, the pepper taste is def. there, and it gets more and more noticable as you continue drinking. the heat builds up, but never to a point where it isnt enjoyable. crisp and lively in the mouth, this is a cool beer. went great with chips and salsa. this get a brujeria tribute for being different, and tastey.

3.61/5  rDev +0.6%

Pours a chill-hazed golden amber in color with an off-white fluffy head that eventually settles to a consistent surface covering. Aroma is light with some sweetness combined with (really light) hints of smoke and chilies (chipotles!). Mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth and medium-bodied. Some fruitiness upfront that merges with a nice malty characteristic. Midway through the influences of the chipotles can be detected, albeit lightly. Neither the smokiness nor use of chilies permeates the beer thoroughly, but its presence is subtle enough to be detected and steer the flavor of this golden ale into an intriguing direction.

Not as spectacular as other Rogue offerings but in the right time and place it has its moments. I enjoyed mine with spicy enchiladas and Mexicali Rogue was a fine companion to put out the flames from the chili sauce.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Hmmm, now this one is very interesting. Apparantly Rogue messed up a bit, as this bottle is not the same in design as the other 5 anniversary beers. Never-the-less, I also heard that this was the same as Mexicali Rogue, but i've never had that one yet, so here it goes. The pour is beautiful, a glowing reddish colour with a nice white head that lasts for a bit, and leaves a bit of lacing. The aroma is intriguing. Some strong malts, a touch of hops, some smoke, and a bit of peppery heat. The taste is where things really heat up. This brew is very malty and almost sweet up front, than the middle is smoky, and the finish is spicy/hot. The mouthfeel is good, but hot, and the drinkability would be better with some mexian food. Still, this is probably the best pepper beer out there. If a brewery can do it up right, Rogue is the one!

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

An offering I thought i wouldnt like to much but came out being really suprised,pours a golden color with a deep orange tint with not much head that seetles pretty quickly.Aroma is of bicuit malt with a touch of briney chilies.Taste is nice and crisp off the bat dry malt is the flavor that dominates with that smokey chili flavor that come mainly in the finish and aftertaste it gets more noticable after a half a glass.My wife picked out the chili taste right away without even knowing it was a chili beer I am proud of her.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

Appearance: Amber golden hue with a cream colored thin head leaves some ringed lacing behind. Aroma: Touch of hops, toasted malts nice profile finishes with a kiss of Chipotle smokiness. Taste: Mild dose of hop bitterness with unique dry flavor of smoked Chipotles going on with the malt profile seeming a bit stale to me. Mouthfeel: A bit thin lighter bodied ale lacks any notable textures. Drinkability: There's not enough cohesion in the flavors here unique but it just doesn't work for me, a bit of a novelty brew in my eyes.

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As much as I love Rogue, there was no way I was shelling out $5 for this. I expected Rogue's take on Mexican-style beers ... boy, was I wrong. My friend got one so I had to try it out and review it.

It pours out a lightly gold color that, when examined against the light, almost reveals hints of green. Ugh. The head was average and it left a few rings.

The nose on this one was interesting. There is a mild hoppiness mixed with a slight hint of spiciness. Malt presence isn't at the forefront. I also am presented with something akin to a Mexican restaurant ... hmm ...

Wow. What a strange cacophony of tastes. There is a distinctly dry and bitter hop twang and then a strange sour wave. There is a mild burning sensation on the palate, the first reminder of the chipotle peppers.

Overall I was not too impressed with this beer. It was bought on a whim by a friend and I might have otherwise not tried it. The "best" part of the beer for me was the lingering residual pepper effect. The further and further you got down on the pint you'd notice a slight heat in your stomach rising upwards. Could be dangerous for those with heartburn issues. I would like to try this with some Spanish or Mexican cuisine, however.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

22oz bottle served chilled. Pours a hazy, burnt orange color, with an offwhite head that fades quickly. Only a few patches of lace were left on the glass. Aroma was very subdued for a Rogue. Sweet caramel dominated the nose, with just a hint of fruitiness and some smoke. Mouthfeel was actively carbonated with some mild hop bite and a slight twang of pepper bite. Taste featured the caramel malt sweetness, with a balance provided by sparing use of the westcoast hops. I could detect a mild, smoky chili flavor of the chipotle peppers, but they're in the background. Very well balanced, overall, and very drinkable. I think this one would be better with a more assertive pepper presence.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

22 oz. bottle. I'm still waiting for these chipotle peppers to make their presence known. I bought this beer a few months ago, and after reading some reviews, I thought it would be a lot different than it actually is. Body has a deep golden color and the head retains well for a short while, then disappears. The peppers are not at all noticeable in the nose. However, the flavor and aroma of this beer are quite well balanced, though I really detect very little pepperage going on here. Nose is sweet and malty; this follows through in the flavor as well. A hint of signature Rogue hoppiness comes through towards the finish. Only a few seconds after I swallow can I feel a bit of spiciness on my tongue. I wouldn't say I can taste the peppers, but I can feel the heat, if only slightly. Oh, and I didn't expect a perfectly smooth, creamy mouthfeel, but that's what I got. I honestly wanted more peppers, smoke, and fire. That may be the only time I ever say such a thing.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

The beer pours crystal clear golden with a slight amber tinge. The head is white, but fleeting. It retreats to the edges of the surface but lingers.

The aroma is sweet caramel malts. Slight fruity aroma.

The flavor is caramel with a slight roastiness in the flavor. The beer is fairly bitter but well done. There is a smokiness in the flavor.

The finish is dry and slightly smoky with a very slight burning sensation in the throat (I assume from the chipotle peppers). The body is medium.

If it did not state the peppers on the bottle, the only hint is the slight heat in the finish. I really enjoy this beer and the heat and bitterness work well together. Kind of a pale ale with a kick.

22 ounce bottle.

3.06/5  rDev -14.8%

One of my lower scores for a Rogue beer, which is a lineup on which I can usually count. This was not a bad beer, but I was pumped for something special from the addition of the chipotle peppers - not much going on here. Perhaps my bottle was not fresh enough, and the peppers had faded into the background (why does Rogue so steadfastly resist any dating on the bottles?). Overall, this probably fell in the more mellow-end of the pale ale pool. Pretty boring.

3.05/5  rDev -15%

22 oz bomber. My first "chili" beer. Figured with Rogue you can't go wrong. Pours slightly hazy golden with an orange tinge. The Head looked nice but died in a hurry. Aroma is of nice bready maltiness with some slighty meaty aromas & a good dose of hops. Taste is very clean. There is nothing special here really. Some very slight fig fruitiness at first, which gives way to bitter hops & some spiciness. Nothing really jumps out. Clean mouthfeel & aftertaste, very drinkable but nothing to write home about. Mediocre offering from rogue. Probably better to spend your money on your favorite macro instead of this for the price.

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

650 ml bottle
Marked: 256 A1 0013 (not sure what this was)
Painted bottle

This beer poured a golden/orange/brown color - amber, that had when first poured had a light haze to it. Later to last pour was cloudy. Very well carbonated from first sip to the last. The head produced was an off white/beige color, that when served cold had foam for 2 seconds then fell to nothing, when it warmed the foam produced was same color, but was fluffy, and full then when it finally fell became a small film on top and a ring on the edges. No lace present. The aromas that came from my glass were of fruit, citrus, light smoke, roasted malt, mild chili pepper (more like an ancho then a chipotle), and some pepper spice. The overall aroma, warm and cold, was light and not overpowering. A little more prominent as it warmed, this is where I got most of the smells. The tastes started with a hop bite, then citrus fruit, roasted malt, some smoke, yeast/bread, and a really light chili pepper heat came through it. The chili pepper light bite was in the finish. No lingering aftertaste, but hops came through as it warmed as an aftertaste. I can say if I did not know there were chili peppers in this then I would say a clean and crisp beer with some decent flavors. As a person that knows there was/is peppers in this I would say, they are slightly noticeable but not overpowering in the least. I am a chili-head and was excited for some good beer with the pepper appeal to it, (and I don’t mean Cave Creek type), and I was disappointed. Disappointed that there was not enough chili and smoke, but pleased with the beer with its overall taste. Minus pepper this is a good beer. Again, wished for more pepper and smoke because that is what this type of pepper is known for - smokey heat!
Note: drinkability is only a 3.5 because I was looking for what it was named after, not for it being a regular beer or a different style, even though I would drink again.
Thanks Quaffer for the beers, they will be drank, happily.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

Finally was able to try this offering from Rogue.. I started out a bit trepidacious since it has Chipotle Chile in it.. I love hot and spicy food, but i will always remember that taste of Cave Creek.

Appearance-- A dark amber with off white head that didnt seem to stick around too long.
Smell-- Smell of malt with whisps of smoke and burnt wood.
Taste-- Where the hell is the Chile?? I got no heat at all. I dont know if its cause ive gotten so habeneros arent hot, but this had none of the chile spice at all. It was nice and malty with a bit of smoke and spice on the tongue but no heat.
Mouthfeel- good enough, a little spice (not heat) but other than that nothing to shout about.
Drinkability- well its higher than i thought it would be due to the fact that it was lacking any sort of heat. I wasnt expecting volcano, but a warm glow would have been nice. Not one of my favourites from Rogue, but you cant like everything. Not to say i wouldnt gladly drink if offered, just dont think i would buy it over their other beers.

4.19/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I wasn't that enthusiastic about the beer going in, so I was pleasently surprised when I got to it. First off, it's a lovely color, a nice transparent reddish hue. The smell is a nice, light sharp scent, not unlike a decent pale ale. The taste starts out not unlike a good pale ale, but with a delightfully complex background. It's nowhere near as hoppy as some of Rogue's other brews, and you don't notice the peppers so much in the flavor.

Where you do notice the peppers is an odd spot in the back of your throat that seems to warm as you drink the beer. It's a curious feeling, and absolutely wonderful. A truly unique brew.

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%

This beer pours well with a good head that is nice and light. The color is a good solid copper color that is slightly hazy. The aroma was very poor, it had a stale smell to it which really turned me off. But once I got past the smell it was smooth sailing. It has a nice dry taste that is obviously spicy, along with a slightly sweet aftertaste that lingers for awhile.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Rogue, of course, gives the best example of how to do a chili pepper beer right, if you have the balls to do it at all! First of all, it has to be an ale, something with sufficient flavor in itself to support the extra spicy chili taste, not one of those weak lagers with a pepper in the bottle (Crazy Ed, I'm talking to you!), and they use smoked chipotles, for an extra twist! Gotta love you, Rogue, and I rue the day I don't!
Appearance: a dull orangish color, topped with a huge, frothy white head.
Aroma: clean, but slightly spicy, with tiny hints of fruit, mellow, but still intriquing.
Taste is mellow at first, but before long the flavors unfurl, and then it hits...and kicks...subtly at first, then flowering, and revealing a definite peppery character
that soon dominates the palate with slow-arriving, but quickly conquering heat!
Still tasty and fruity, as any decent ale should be, with that peppery tinge at the back of the palate and lingering in the base of the throat.
Smokey peppery character really adds a unique dimension to this brew, and it deserves extra points for boldness and uniqueness alone!
Yummy, delicious, and Hot, HotHot!!! Now it's taking over my heade and creeping around other parts of the body, and it just gets hotter as we drink along...my damned head is flame, as the 22 0z. bottle is nearly emptied!
Hot, hot, hot and getting hotter, man, it's time to call the Bucket Brigade!
Big old thanks to BierRiese for helping me to reunite this once-tasted ale to my lips once more!

2.14/5  rDev -40.4%

Ugghhh...wretched...first beer from Rogue I don't like.
Looked a nice orange amber...no head what so ever...flat like
Smelled mostly like malt and some smoke...and tequilla
Taste...horrid...like tequilla and beer
mouthfeel...thin
drinkability...I actually poured this down the sink...

3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Copper pour with a massive bubbly off-white head that lasts till the last drop leaving lace all over the glass. Interesting aroma with a nice mix of spicy hops as well as peppers. Pretty cool, but a bit scary when I think of what people have said about the cave creek chili beer.

Well, I was scared no more after a few gulps of this brew. The peppers are pretty subtle, and only add to hop spiciness. It has a good pale malt backround, but it is all about the blend of the hops and the peppers. Very interesting, and I would have to say it was done very well. From what I have heard about other pepper beers, the peppers really take over and ruin it, but it is not so here. Yet another interesting brew from Rogue.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales