Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

4.3

Ratings: 1,403 |  Reviews: 700
3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of pepper and slight yeast. Fits the style of a chili Beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. An obvious heat is present. Tastes of pepper, yeast, and slight pale malt. Overall, the chili domniates and the flavor is good at first, but the heat builds and makes it hard to drink.

3.57/5  rDev +0.3%

A- Pours a golden honey color with a thick cream colored head...decent retention and some nice lacing...

S- Some bready malts, but smokiness and what I can only describe as chipotle peppers in adobo sauce seem to dominate...

T- As it smells, yet maltiness is even more subdued in comparison to the chipotle and smoke...just a hint of spice, but this is by no means a 'spicy' beer...flavors definitely linger on the palate

M- Light bodied, but a little thin...decent carbonation

D- An interesting brew to say the least...for the style, definitely one of the better ones I've had, yet it seems to be missing something (maybe more heat, maybe heavier mouthfeel...just something more) Nonetheless, this is a unique brew that is worth a shot

4.32/5  rDev +21.3%

Were I to brew a chili beer I would call it "Dirty Sanchez." Hazy, dark honey color. Large white head leaves thick, foamy drifts and sticky lace clumps. Rogue pose.

Smells like smoke and fresh chillies. Tastes like smoke and chilies with a wet, bready malt. Tastes kinda like a jalapeno popper actually. Pacman mouthfeel.

Theobroma being my only reference for chili beers, this is much better.

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

Served in a pint glass at the Bronx Ale House.

A: Pours a clear, light orange/red. One finger tan head that sticks around and laces a bit.

S: Smoky, but not overpoweringly so. A good amount of sweet malt to balance it.

T: Not at all what I had expected. I'm not picking up too much heat in this beer at all. It's smoky, and there's a definite an adobe/chipotle undercurrent throughout. But it's also quite malty, a mellow sweet bread flavor. Some tingly hops, too.

M/D: Carbonation is pretty low, and mouthfeel is fairly light. I liked the taste at first, but by the end, the smokiness wore out its welcome and I was ready to switch. I think this beer has a lot of potential when paired well with food, but it's a bit much on its own.

3.76/5  rDev +5.6%

Rusty amber in color. Smells like an average beer. Very smooth; subtle hints of pepper. Not very hot, but you can taste the spice. Was hoping for something a little more spicey but this is definitely an above average beer. Would love to eat a burrito with this one.

3.36/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours light reddish amber. The head is small, but sticks around nicely. You can see a lot of effervescence going on in the body of the beer.

After reading the description and some reviews, and having had chili beers before, I was expecting a lot more heat from the nose. There's hardly any peppers, but some nice earthy smells. Mainly it just smells like generic "beer".

Not as much heat as I expected. This is a very earthy beer. The chipotle peppers come through a little stronger on the swallow, accompanied by some hops. It has a pleasant smoky flavor. The heat isn't overpowering, but it's present. Overall, there's a lot more ale than chipotle. I could see it pairing nicely with a wide variety of foods.

The biggest problem I found with it was excessive carbonation. I expect a little more complexity from Rogue, but this beer didn't deliver.

It drinks fairly easily, but I could see the heat at the end slowing some people down.

One last thing; do NOT drink this beer if you have chapped lips, cold sores, or any raw spots in your mouth. That's when the peppers will get you!

2.01/5  rDev -43.5%

A: Pours a nice light orangish/red color with a nice large tan foam head. There is a decent amount of lacing.

S: A decent amount of spicy peppers, jalapeno, chile, smoke and toast.

T: After smelling the beer, I expected something different. As somebody who enjoys a lot of spice, this did not have a good taste. It was ashy, like an ashtray. Lots of smoke dominate the beer.

M: Leaves a smokey taste on the palate, like charred wood.

D: Not my kind of beer...many like this beer, but for me, not one I enjoy.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On draft at the Rogue Ale House, Portland, Oregon.

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and good lacing.

The smell featured a light pale malt with a trace of smoke.

The taste consisted of meaty, smoky flavors; buttery malts and caramel.

The mouthfeel was of medium fullness.

Overall an interesting ale. The light smokiness was pleasantly surprising.

1.99/5  rDev -44.1%

Poured into a pint glass a light brown/sunset orange with a 3/4" cream coloured head. Some stickage against the walls of the glass.

Musty. Smells of 'Great Grandma's closet,' as the odor of clothes that haven't been used in years wafts out as it is opened. Smokey spice, light nutmeg, spice.

Taste:
Some malt sweetness up front colliding with an earthy spice character. Cheyenne, Jalepeno, lemon, and smoke all come to mind. Chewing on spicy dirt is the best comparison I can draw.

M: Well carbonated, perhaps its best quality.

I wish Rogue would have put this in a 12 oz so I wouldn't be stuck with 22 oz of this. (Ended up giving 1/2 to a friend who has a cold and could only taste the spicey heat). I had to pop some lime flavoured popcorn to help this down.

Interesting effort. "Extreme" beer though? I tend to define "extreme" as something innovative AND delicious, so I would say Rogue is a bit off of the mark here.

3.48/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured in to a weisse glass. Nice amber color with a good head and OK lacing. Not sure where to start the taste end of this review. This was a well made ale but I got only minor tingling on my tongue from drinking it. I really wanted to feel the fire of the Chipotle but for me there was none. However the friend I split this with could barely finish his share due to the heat. So I am at a lost how I feel about this brew. It was well made.

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Tastes like a Chipotle pepper juice, what do you know? Very spicy, warm golden red colors, mild head. Drinkable, taste is unique, but grows on you. Smoky char sensation, enjoyed it.

Its not perfect but a bit above average B. It is lacking in mouthfeel but just a bit, the peppers are too dominant.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass

A - poured a solid finger of slight off white, puffy and soapy froth...seems to be falling away rather quickly to a thin layer with decent lacing. the beer is crystal clear, bubbly, rich golden/amber.

S - malts with a kick of smoked chipotle peppers. not much else can make it past that.

T - bang! before the whole swallow a huge kick of roasted chipotle and medium spiciness. hops attack the back of the tongue while the peppers take care of the rest. flavors are crisp and spot on.

M - highly carbonated and refreshing. flavors jump in and quickly leave only a trace of smoked spices.

D - so unique. taxing on its own, but went great with my dinner of keilbasa casserole.

3.58/5  rDev +0.6%

22oz bottle, in advance of some spicy homemade Kung Pao chicken, this seems to be a more than appropriate aperitif.

This beer pours a hazy medium bronzed orange hue, with two fingers of foamy, bubbly off-white head, which leaves some layered storm cloud lace around the glass as things slowly ebb away.

It smells rather smoky, very peat-like, with some singed jalapeno pepper oil, bready caramel malt, dry field honey, and herbal, leafy hops. The taste is much the same up front, the smoky, husky essence of campfire mated with moderately spicy vegetable matter, which quickly gives way to a pleasantly supportive bready, caramel malt, and some plain bruised apple fruitiness. Simple, and yet enjoyable.

The carbonation is quite laid back, just a middling frothiness, the body barely south of medium weight and generally smooth, the smoked hot peppers strangely having little bearing here. It finishes off-dry, with a strong reminder of the peppery smoke that started this whole show.

An interesting blend of chili flavour, Scotch-like peat, and well balanced amber ale. Not a particularly sessionable offering, to be truthful, what with there being all that oft-mentioned smoke, rather than spice, from the guest ingredient.

22oz bottle from Liquor Depot in Rock Springs, WY. $5.50.

A: Amber in color with a cream colored head about that's almost an inch thick. Excellent clarity, tons of bubbles coming up from the nucleation point. Excellent head retention, nice chunks of lacing.

S: Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce is really the stand out feature on this one. Wow, smells like a can of chipotle peppers. A few hints of smoke in there, some slight malty smells, kind of hard to place, and a few hints of clean citrus hops.

T: Strong flavors of chipotle peppers that leads into a pleasant hop bitterness, almost no sweetness in this beer. Malt profile is muted because of the chile flavors, which fade nicely into a great bitterness. Just a hint of spicyness as well. Lots of lingering flavors. After trying a few different chile beers this one is hands down the most flavorful and well thought out one.

M: Light bodied, decent carbonation, fairly smooth, not bad.

D: I don't think I could drink very much of this, as it just doesn't come across as something I'd want to drink more than a bomber of. Really would be an excellent beer to pair with food though. Excellent work Rogue. A beer that I can't believe I've passed by a million times. Compared to most other chile beers, this is fantastic, as most of them end up tasting like crackers with tabasco sauce on them.

4.2/5  rDev +18%

Presentation:
650mL bomber poured into a tulip glass to really capture those peppery aromas. No dates on the bottle.

Visual:
The body is a delicious ruby orange and clear as a crystal. It agitates well into a nice thick khaki head. Decent retention and some beautiful lacing. I'd give this a 5 if only the head stuck around a little longer.

Aroma:
Well balanced. Great earthy platform from the Willamette hops, along with a bready malt profile bragging of caramel sweet undertones. I won't lie, there is a hint of rubber band somewhere in the back, but it is not unpleasant - just unexpected. Soft pepper notes up front like pepperoni that fade into the unique chipotle twinge in the finish.

Taste:
The hops create a pleasant bittering that cleans the palate for the peppers to follow. Well done Rogue, that's planning ahead. Hearty malt profile that is subtle yet present; again, not stealing the show from the peppers, but making sure everything stays balanced. Medium bodied with a grainy mouthfeel, perfect for rustling those flavors up. Nice soft bittering aftertaste with a hint of spiciness.

Overall:
Job well done. I had a cajun pepper ale a while back that was way out of whack. It seemed that they made an ale, and just added peppers without thinking of how the two blend. Rogue, on the other hand, seemed to put a lot of thought into the final product with this brew. The level of intensity for each ingredient is balanced well with the others.
I could see this brew pairing well with chipotle based foods, but I would personally recommend not going that route. I would say, embrace this ales complexity with some nice pulled pork or rotisserie chicken. Think subtly sweet, like cornbread or bbq. This ale would be perfect for cooking southern recipes with.

Side note: I would let this brew sit out of your fridge for about 15-20 minutes before serving it. I had a glassful while it was cold, straight out of the fridge and it was okay. Once a half hour went by (with the bottle sitting in room temperature) and I had the second glass, the malt really shined. This immensely helps bring out those rich chipotle features.

Cheers!

3.65/5  rDev +2.5%

On tap at Beer Run in Charlottesville, VA.

Appearance: Pours a reddish mahogany, with a small amount of persistent head and plenty of lacing.

Smell: Faint, in general, with hints of smoke and spice, as well as some sweet malty notes.

Taste: I ate nachos right before having this beer, and I'm now regretting it--tastes slightly hot, VERY peppery. The jalepeno taste is not particularly overpowering, but was a little too much at that point for me.

Mouthfeel: Interesting. Very light and smooth, but ends with a kick with the peppers, which are primarily present as an aftertaste. The lower level of carbonation works really well to compliment the spices--I have a feeling that much more would have just made it far too fizzy.

Drinkability: Not too great for this one. To be fair, I was a little tired of the spicy taste already, but I don't think it would be easy to drink regardless. It's not a bad beer--in fact, it's a pretty interesting one--but it's more of a novelty than anything I think I'd actively seek out again. I just feel like something's missing...

3.28/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Poured with a tiny head that maintained throughout the entire drink. Very nice ruby reddish color.

Smell: Not overly powerful pepper scent. I detect some modest hop notes.

Taste: Spicy finish. Very light on the palate when initially sipped. This is followed up with a little kick (not overpowering) from the peppers.

Mouthfeel: Once again, very light on the mouth, not over powering at all.

Drinkability: A beer that I would be able to drink again, however I would not actively seek it out at a bar or beer store.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from the 650 ML bottle that I purchased along with 5 other Rogue beers within the past month. Poured into my Dark Horse Brewing Company pint glass. From message written on the side of the bottle: Dedicated to Spanish author Juan de la Cueva, who, in 1575, wrote of a Mexican dish that combined seedless chipotles with ale. This ale is deep amber in color with a rich malty aroma, and delicately spiced with smoked Jalapeno Peppers to give it that extra bite!

A Nice medium brown/amber body under a very light brown creamy, fluffy one inch head after a vigorous pour. Sediment floating about . 4.0

S There is a nice, smoky smoked ham smell in addition to a nice preview of the spice brought on undoubtedly by the peppers. I really like this smell. It is interesting, inviting. 4.5

T I am not sure about this beer. There is an odd rauchbier quality of the smoked aspect to it and the peppers do not come through for me until the aftertaste. The rauchbier quality is not the dynamic, interesting quality of one of the Acht Schlelanka quality but a rather flat quality that I do not like too much. The peppers, which come in at about the aftertaste, are kind of an after thought, only present at the end. Contrast this with DHF Theoromba whose chili tastes are throughout and are much more present. This beer's taste was hard for me to rate but here goes: 3.5

M Minimally smooth feel but mostly this is moderate. There is a bit of bite with the pepper taste in the aftertaste but really it is moderate. I like the feel though. 4.0

D Only fair for me. The odd flatness and rauchbier qualities do not jive well with the pepper aftertaste. I will finish the 22 ounces but will most likely not seek this one out again. 3.0

2.98/5  rDev -16.3%

pours a light red with a thick tan head, and lots of lacing as this one drinks.
initially, I get a whiff of smokiness which reminds me a bit of pipe tobacco and leather. not unpleasant, but not what I was expecting.
the taste that hits you up front is definitely the BBQ-like smokey flavors, but I'm not getting much heat like you would from a hot pepper (which, perhaps, is not really the intention here). malty sweetness starts to come through as this one finishes, very little carbonation and a decent smooth mouthfeel.
I wasn't expecting to make this beer something I'd drink on the regular, but I was hoping for maybe a fun/gimmick type of brew that would be fun to buy every once and awhile to pair with appropriate cuisines. I think the smokey flavors don't really blend well with the malt and hops of an ale, and are better suited for a porter or stout. Definitely not a bad beer, I drank it all and enjoyed it for the most part, but not something I'd go out of my way to drink again.

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured the bottle into my mexican ceramic beer glass, in honour of their dedication... Because the glass in opaque, it appears somewhat like a normal ale, with a thick lasting head which remains stuck to the edge of the glass.

It smells nice, mainly a sweet maltly aroma with a whiff of that promised chipotle. I am intrigued...

Upon trying this I am no longer quite so intrigued. Reminds me of the time I added chipotle and habanero to some vodka, interesting idea but not much I could drink it with. It tastes like a thin beer without much carbonation that is smoky. Clearly there are chipotles in the beer, but the beer offers nothing beyond it. Maybe I am wrong in reviewing it in comparison by other beers, but I find it to be having no great beeryness to it... I don't read reviews first, and had decided on what I would do and then saw the Bros highly reviewed it, that will be my next stop to see why they liked this (to me) highly mediocre beer.

A: straw colored with a touch of red, this brew has plenty of lacing with moderate head.

S: the bouquet is strong and consists solely of smoke.

T: this brew has a delightfully smokey flavor, but little in the way of pepper or heat. Also, little malt or hops make it through to you.

M: this ale delivers a medium body with a frothy texture.

D: I wish there was a bit more to this brew. While the chipotle was nice, it demanded something more. Something to complement it. Most of the flavor was smoke, but not to the same caliber as their Smoke Ale. otherwise, this is a deliciously unique brew.

3.03/5  rDev -14.9%

Poured from a 650 mL bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a reddish-tan color with a thick foamy tan head that dissipates slowly leaving nice lacing.

Smell: Malty with a kind of musky roasted pepper aroma in the background.

Taste: Tastes like, well, chipotle. Has a roasted pepper taste that pretty much masks whatever else this beer has to offer. Not too spicy, but the pepper flavor is a little overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Light, and pretty refreshing. The peppers add a nice bite to this as well.

Drinkability: An interesting beer. If you're looking for something interesting to pair with tacos (I did) or Mexican food, this might be the beer for it. Not necessarily something I will go to in the future, but worth a try.

3.98/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from bomber into Roanoke College branded American pint glass.

Appearance: Light amber color with a large tan head that dissipates slowly and leaves a good amount of lacing aorund the glass.

Smell: Bready malt with hints of pepper. Has the tea hints that are common in Rogue beers.

Taste: Sweet and bready throughout, with a taste to it very similar to pico de gallo.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and smooth, balanced carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability: Very very interesting beer. The first chili beer I've had, and I like it. Not something I think I would get too often, but I'm sure I'll want some more sometime in the future.

I'm drinking this with Taco Bell right now, and they go great together!

3.7/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Being a lover of spicy foods, I had to try this one out.

A- transparent orange/amber with two fingers of off-white head that left moderate lacing.

S- not very potent, but the peppers were clearly at the forefront with some malt in the background.

T- mainly tasting of mild chipotle peppers, not unlike most chipotle sauces/pastes. Not spicy at all, but pretty flavorful.

M- fairly light-bodied with mild carbonation.

D- pretty smooth for the most part, not hard to down by any means.

It kind of reminded me of Fat Tire with Chipotle flavor added, but I recommend this to anyone willing to try anything new, especially if they like Southwestern cuisine. I may pair this with some Mexican food very soon to get another perspective on it.

4.26/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I picked this up one day down in Clayton while getting food.

Appearance- amber color, good size head wit good retention

Smell- malt, a bit of peppers

Taste- peppers, bit of spicyness but really balanced flavor, not too spicy at all but i love spicy things, very nice

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- very drinkable, a new favorite of mine, It is the best chile beer I have had

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales