Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699
2.83/5  rDev -21.2%

On tap at the Rogue brew pub in Newport.

This is my first "spiced" beer I have ever tried and The only reason I even got this is to try all the Rogues I have never tried. I was not impressed at all by this one. Poured a red color with a good 2 finger head on it. Pepper comes out in the nose right away and that's pretty much all im pulling out of this one. Taste as it smells, very peppery, very spicy especially in the end...good med. bodied feel to it. I will not drink this again.

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%

Well, I've been a fan of Rogue beers for many years, so I expected a little more from this ale. It made me almost nervous that it was made with chipotle peppers; but it really didn't have an overly spicy taste. The "hotness" shows up on the finish a little. It is clean, and pure...and that's classic Rogue style, but the body was also light and a tad simple. It would be easy to pound a few of these; that is, if you like peppers.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%

I have to say I was a bit disappointed after reading the reviews here then actually drinking one of these. I was expecting to have something that would either be pretty vile or pretty dang tasty to me since I do like chilis and spicy food. Well I did not get either really. It pours a nice yellow with a bit of a red hue and a slightly white head that laces pretty quickly. The smell to me was a bit like fermented fruit with just a hint of smokiness in the background. The taste was what kind of let me down but not in a horrible way. It ended being so average to me, I was expecting to either be wowed or just grossed out by something that tasted too much like peppers. I don't know maybe I'm crazy but it just tasted like a very average thin ale with just a tiny hint of smokiness in the background. The immediate aftertaste is just the smokiness but after a while if you let it sit on your tongue I get a hint of burnt chili seeds. It was not too bad for me getting through the one bomber but I gave it a 2.5 on drinkability because I could definately imagine it turning off alot of people and just left me pretty unimpressed either way. Not horrible or anything but I don't think I would buy another one. I cracked open a Stone Pale Ale after drinking this one and that just tasted soooo good after drinking this stuff.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours a clear golden copper with an eggshell colored, foamy head. Average head retention with some foamy lacing. Lemon zest, chili pepper, and plastic aromas. Orange notes, smokiness, and an unpleasant plastic flavor. Drinks like a Märzen. Mouthfeel is smooth and soft until the finish, which brings a fine sandpaper-like scrubbing. The faintest capsicum burn on the back of the throat. This is not a great beer. Certainly not Rogue's best effort. Lots of optimism in the idea though.

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%

Bomber poured into a pint glass, shared with a friend.

A-Orange -amber beer with a white head on top, slowly receding to a thin layer.

S-The smell is overwhelmed by chipotle peppers. That's pretty much it.

T-As with the smell, chipotle peppers hijack this beer's flavor. Other beer characters are largely covered by the peppers' flavor. A slight heat on the otherwise smokey finish.

M-Medium body with appropriate carbonation.

D-I did not care for this beer. I think the pepper flavors were too prominent, which left no room for other beer flavors to represent. An interesting beer to try, but I won't be trying this one again in the future.

2.8/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pint poured on tap at Publick House into American pint glass. Intrigued by this, thought I would like. Wrong.

A: Another apple juice looking drink. Slight head and too much bubbles.

N: Spice and smoke were there, with some malt background. No bitterness or hops in the aroma.

T: Chipotle definitely present, almost reminded me of a bloody mary sting. Not enjoyable in a beer, not here at least. The taste came off as a bit hokey and not naturally built off the base of the beer.

M: A bit rich, spices dont marry well. Too much carbonation to balance out.

D: I guess if your up for spices or what not, you may like but it doesnt come across well. First beer from Rogue I found undrinkable. Just not my cup o tea.

2.8/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This one poured a dark amber with hints of red throughout. A very light brown, somewhat tan head formed that held on for a bit, then fell to a film leaving some lacing. The smell was of some smoke, lightly roasted malts, chili peppers and some hops. The taste was sweetish and malty at the front, with some hops at the finish and only a faint showing of smoked peppers, very disappointing. The mouthfeel was fairly smooth and medium bodied, nothing to write home about. I would have to say that 22oz. was a bit too much of this. I was hoping for a smoke filled, fire breathing trip through Hell, but I did't get it. Oh well, better luck next time.

2.8/5  rDev -22%

Poured the bottle into my mexican ceramic beer glass, in honour of their dedication... Because the glass in opaque, it appears somewhat like a normal ale, with a thick lasting head which remains stuck to the edge of the glass.

It smells nice, mainly a sweet maltly aroma with a whiff of that promised chipotle. I am intrigued...

Upon trying this I am no longer quite so intrigued. Reminds me of the time I added chipotle and habanero to some vodka, interesting idea but not much I could drink it with. It tastes like a thin beer without much carbonation that is smoky. Clearly there are chipotles in the beer, but the beer offers nothing beyond it. Maybe I am wrong in reviewing it in comparison by other beers, but I find it to be having no great beeryness to it... I don't read reviews first, and had decided on what I would do and then saw the Bros highly reviewed it, that will be my next stop to see why they liked this (to me) highly mediocre beer.

A - Slight head that disappeared to ice tea foam. Cloudy orange ice tea color
S - Sweet malt. Not as much chipotle smell as I was expecting. Slight pleasant leather that turned into unpleasant medicated bandade.
Taste is dominated by smokey chipoltle. Smoke is of mild rauchbier. Starts sweet end semi dry. Nice linger.
M - Adequate
O - Not super impressed by this one. The smoke was nice but the bandaid really killed it for me. Probably won't get this again, and can really recommend it in good conscience.

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

As much as I love Rogue, there was no way I was shelling out $5 for this. I expected Rogue's take on Mexican-style beers ... boy, was I wrong. My friend got one so I had to try it out and review it.

It pours out a lightly gold color that, when examined against the light, almost reveals hints of green. Ugh. The head was average and it left a few rings.

The nose on this one was interesting. There is a mild hoppiness mixed with a slight hint of spiciness. Malt presence isn't at the forefront. I also am presented with something akin to a Mexican restaurant ... hmm ...

Wow. What a strange cacophony of tastes. There is a distinctly dry and bitter hop twang and then a strange sour wave. There is a mild burning sensation on the palate, the first reminder of the chipotle peppers.

Overall I was not too impressed with this beer. It was bought on a whim by a friend and I might have otherwise not tried it. The "best" part of the beer for me was the lingering residual pepper effect. The further and further you got down on the pint you'd notice a slight heat in your stomach rising upwards. Could be dangerous for those with heartburn issues. I would like to try this with some Spanish or Mexican cuisine, however.

2.78/5  rDev -22.6%

Picked this beer up as a fathers day gift along with a few other brew. I lucky got to split this with my dad.

Appearance: Poured brown, very thin head minimal lacing..

Smell: Smoked, chipotle and a certain sweetness i cant place

Taste: As with smell its smoke, a slight pepper bite on the first sip
with a lingering heat that is getting hotter as i drink it.

Mouthfeel: full bodied

Drinkability: only one i will drink probably couldn't finish a bomber by myself

2.77/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a brownish-orange color with a small cream-colored head. Even just from looking at it, I can tell the carbonation is really vigorous. Not the most attractive color.

Smell: The spiciness isn't as pronounced as you'd think, though it's definitely there. The most prominent smell is clearly smoke. I'm not getting any hops or malt.

Taste: It's like sticking your head in a chimney. So much smokiness and spiciness that it can easily become overwhelming. Personally, while I can appreciate how different this brew is, I'm not sure if I enjoy it.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Ever had a shot of hot sauce? Did you enjoy the lingering taste in your mouth? If not, this might not be the beer for you. In terms of drinkability, I'm not sure if I can even finish one.

I'm confused. I had this beer a year or two ago and I don't remember it being anywhere near this overwhelming. Maybe I got a bad batch? I have no idea.

2.76/5  rDev -23.1%

No idea about how well this bottle will have aged since it's currently nearly the start of fall and this is a spring seasonal.

Pour is blackish tinged golden. Opaque. A modest, 2 mm thick white head sits on top of the beer, and the overall apperance of the ale is rock solid. The smell seems to be mainly malty...there are some light spicy edges, but they really aren't as prominent as I was expecting them to be.

Taste starts out malty, like the nose and that seems to be all there is for a bit, but then the chipotle (hot and spicy) decideds to show up and make its presence felt. The spice isn't absolutely house burning, but it is definitely distinct and strong enough to grab your attention. Swallow is a light bit of hoppy bitters, and then gone with only a lingering hot feel from the chipotle. Not the most depthy taste in the world, but I like the hot sensation and the uniquness of it in my still limited experience with this style of beer is enough to make me like this brew.

The mouth on this is average for beer in general. It's not thick, at all, but it does have some nice sensations courtesy of the chipotle, so it still maintains average. Drinkability, a challenge. This beer is ok when you first pour it, but do not allow it to warm, or nurse it slowly because it seemed to get harder to drink as time went on. I think this would be improved vastly by either sharing the beer (a bomber is probably too much of this flavour for one person) or by pairing with a similarly aggressive food.

Overall, this might be a gimmick, but it seems to work, for about the first 1/2 of the bottle at least. Best split with someone else, or paired with very spicy food.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales