Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,400 |  Reviews: 698

one of the few beers I have ever poured out, it was flat, oily, and tasted like liquid paprika, I was extremely disappointed and shocked. Considering the brewery it comes from and the esteem they accrue, I cannot understand how they allowed this to get onto shelves, I honestly don't think I have purchased another rogue beer since.

this beer is vile and tastes like an ashtray in a Mexican restaurant

1.06/5  rDev -70.5%

Probably, by far one of the most terrible beers i've ever had if not the worst. Tastes like a cruel joke involving someone literally pouring chipotle sauce in beer and calling it a style. Made me want to vomit, and gave me immediate indigestion with only two gulps.

This is by no means a bash to rogue brewing, because they put out some stuff i truly enjoy (i.e. santas private reserve, dead guy, and xs) Would refrain from ever wasting your money on this. The bottle is cool, but the beer is an atrocity.

1.18/5  rDev -67.1%

I love Rogue beers and I really like spicy food, but felt that this beer was just awful. It was too hot and actually tasted like Chipotle, or like it had to be spiced with jalapeno. I had it on tap and had to force myself to drink this beer like I was back in rugby hazing. I'd rather have a tequila shot, and I hate tequila.

1.33/5  rDev -63%

I love chipotle spices and I love ale. But this beer did not hit my tongue in a favorable way and I had to pour most of it out. The smoky spices were overwhelming and no malt or hop flavor or aroma could break through. Very disappointing, since I am a fan of Rogue's other products.

The taste of the beer just didn't do it for me at all. It wasn't too spicy, it just tasted funky. Might have been a bad bottle, but I never want to smell this beer again!

The beer did look nice and red in the glass, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was food coloring.

1.34/5  rDev -62.7%

This is the first Rogue I have ever hated. The beer poured a very average reddish-orange with a head to match - lightly colored. The nose however was very disenchanting with a smoky yet unappetizing overripe fruitiness. The taste was spicy and downright wretched like an infected batch of homebrew...sour, spicy and smoky.

I don't understand how this one left the brewery. Maybe it's the ultimate in acquired taste, but I poured half of the bomber down the sink...such a pity.

1.41/5  rDev -60.7%

I don't know if the bottle was bad, or if I just hated the beer, but this one went straight down the drain after just a few sips. The beer poured a reddish color and smelled like chipotles. It also tasted quite a bit like them. Now I really like chipotle peppers, but something with this beer didn't agree with me. The person I was splitting the bomber with finished his glass, something I couldn't do. I have liked everything else from Rogue so I was expecting to like this one. But it just wasn't drinkable. I guess it is an acquired taste.

1.49/5  rDev -58.5%

I had this beer quite a while ago, and forgot to review it. However, I can assure you that the experience remains fresh in my mind.

Pours a light orangeish hue with an off white head that dissipated somewhat quickly. Good robust mouthfeel (the best part of the beer).

Smells of smokiness and wheat/grass. The smell put me off almost immediately. The taste is ... not good. I wasn't expecting a chipotle flavored beer to taste like it was mixed with liquid pipe tobacco. There's really no malt here, and no real hops either. Just smokiness, wheat/grass, spiciness (it is bold and up front), and more smokiness.

In the last six months, I haven't finished a beer I sampled to review on maybe three occasions. The Sam Adams Triple Bock (twice -- just to make sure the first bottle didn't go bad), and now this.

Ugh.