Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Alströms:
4.3

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Single bottle, part of the June LCBO Rogue release. Never had a chili beer, so I really don't know what to expect!

Poured into a nonic. A nice amber brew, slightly murky, a good frothy head that displays nice retention and makes some fine lacing. A good looking brew.

Nose is surprisingly mild. Malt, a bit of cascade hops, and what I assume to be the peppers, but had I not known what the beer's ingredients were beforehand, I would have just called it a 'astringent smokiness'.

Interesting - not in that patronizing sense of "that piece of modern art is...interesting", but that this beer is demanding my interest because there's a lot going on and I'm not sure what to make of it. Starts off slightly malty and with a bit of an IPA feel to it, before the chili peppers rush in. The chipotles give the brew a nice peppery southwest, with hints of smoke and leather, with the sweet malts and west coast hops cleansing the palate. Not a spicy brew; it just possesses a mix of flavors that seem to work fairly well together. As you get used to the taste, the chipotle becomes a little less predominant and it starts to taste a bit like a "southwestern rauchbier", imo.

Assertive carbonation, medium bodied, oily.

Not bad, probably not something I'd have too often, but I agree with a previous reviewer that this might be a great cooking brew. While it mercifully didn't taste like someone dumped pepper juice into a beer tun, the pepper flavor is only mild - I had expected a bit more zing to it. Still, an fine effort.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear honey-amber colored with a yellowy beige frothy head that sizzles loudly as it slowly recedes.

Aroma of grainy malt and hints of spicy corn, which I'm assuming would be attributed to the chile pepper infusion, but I wouldn't guess that if I didn't know.

Initial flaovr of doughey malt, followed quickly by a smokey meaty warmth, perhaps a hop tingle but it's hard to tell. Chile flavor is definitely present, but just strong enough to assert itself. Pushes the taste buds right to the edge without throwinig them over the cliff.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick and runny, moderate carbonation. Surprisingly drinkable for what it is. Not just a novelty. Would love a pint of this with some smokey barbecued ribs.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug with a generous frosting of tan billowing head. This beer is a clear orange copper color that looks to be leaning more towards the garnet side of things. I don't really know what to expect from a chipotle ale but I like roasted peppers and I like ale... well why not.

The smell is just what the label says. A chipotle ale. There is a nice smoked nose from the roasted peppers with a mask of malts. This beer is not all about a peppery bouquet but if you've ever lived in the southwest then you know that almost woody scent.

The taste is not unlike an adobo sauce. There is a smoky, earthy pepper flavor that is the dominate feature followed by a sweet maltiness. Those flavors are only present in the first few pulls because soon a spiciness and heat from the peppers out weigh most of the taste sensations.

I feel like a Chile Beer is a novelty act. This one tastes good if your in the mood for some sadist beer drinking. Don't get me wrong, I love spicy food and a good beer but I get real tired of this one fast. I judge beer mostly on whether or not I'd buy it again. As for appearance, smell, taste, yada yada yada, this one gets semi high marks but only when confined to the style. Other then for cooking I would never buy this beer again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This has a nice dark amber color,but the head was a little small,one finger,than other Rogues.The smell is a very earthy,with a little spice.The taste is very different.I don't think I've ever tasted a beer so smokey.You can really taste the chipolte,it has a slight bite on the sides of my tongue.This has a somewhat light/medium feel,pretty drinkable.This isn't Rogues best ale,but I admire them for trying different things.I would try this again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a very lightly hazy (almost clear) copper in color with some very light visible carbonation. The beer has a finger tall light beige head that reduces to thick patches and a thicker ring at the edges of the glass. Significant lacing is observed.

S: The aroma on this beer is surprisingly light - expected more of a punch from the peppers but they are there in a more subtle fashion. I get the smokiness and a little of the spiciness of the chipotle peppers along with some malt sweetness.

T: The flavor starts with some malt sweetness (just a hint of caramel to it) and then the flavor of the peppers comes in... There is a really pleasant smokiness of the chipotle pepper and just a touch of heat.

M: Medium bodied with moderate to high amounts of carbonation.

O: Different but drinkable, I would not call this beer sessionable but it is also not something I'm sorry that I chose (or disappointed to have). I would likely not get this beer again and I'm not sure there are really any beers in this style that I want for... The alcohol is not very noticeable and the pepper flavor is not overly hot.

Drank on-tap at the Sunset Grill & Tap, Allston, MA
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, crimson-amber color with a tight, foamy, bright white, one-finger head that left a thin sheet of lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was smooth and sweet. Rich caramel malts dominated. A touch fruity. Hints of butterscotch came through as well. No chile/spice quality was discernable however. Enjoyable, yet not very complex.

The taste was more interesting than the aroma. Sweet caramel malts came through strong up front. Fruity in the center. Chipotle spice notes appeared in the crisp, clean finish and lingered into the moderately hoppy (piney) aftertaste. On a scale of one to ten, the spiciness was a "three" (at best).

The mouthfeel was medium bodied with a fine, mild carbonation.

Although I enjoyed this beer, it definitely could have used more heat and flavor from the chilies. Nevertheless, this would make a perfect accompaniment to some nachos and spicy salsa.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is second chipotle beer I have tasted. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the first one.

I thought this one tasted not too smoky as I initially feared. As you first rink it, the smokiness isn't as apparent until after you gulped the first couple of sips. The beer's pretty easy on your palate, so it does help with the drinkability.

The mouthfeel of this beer, I thought, was slightly flat. It didn't feel as rich as I'd like out of a beer.

Drinkability really depends on whether you liked the smokiness in your beer or not. I thought I did as I love chipotle flavor, but for some reasons, I was not much of fan.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased 7/9/05 at Made in Oregon shop in Portland International Airport. I was expecting something like Cave Creek a pilsner lager with a chili taste. First pour reveals something much darker burnt orange in color. Little or no head retention. Smell is of caramel malts and a slightly smokey aroma. First sip reveals more a rauchbier flavor. Slight bitterness. A slight hint of heat on the tongue but very slight. More bitterness than a rauchbier. Like a rauchbier on hops. Not as exotic I would have thought based on the ingredients.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

22oz bottle served in the typical "default other beer glass" at the House of Brews in NYC. Split with Flannery.

We sampled this with an order of poppers, as it seemed to make sense.

Beer poured a slightly cloudy dark/deep amber with ruby highlights and aroma was a spicy/smokey kick.

Taste - big sips had big kicks, really interesting beer to drink. Not a big-hop beer, but there were hops that added to some of the lasting heat.

Definitely a must try with food, I don't know when else I would drink this beer. I wouldn't drink more than a bomber of this, but I love spicy food - so this is a great beer and brings interesting stories.

I will have this again, Cheers!

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%

The pour is dark amber orange, with a slight, light tan head. Looks like a competent red ale or pale ale.

The aroma really isn't all that impressive. Light malts, some caramel, a bit of smoke discernible.

Taste is much better. It starts out with flavours of lemon zest, very crisp and somewhat bitter, astringent - then sweet malts kick in, and the smoke and heat of the chipotle peppers dominates the long finish, giving the beer more depth.

Mouthfeel is medium-thin, a bit soapy, but held together by the nice finish. Average.

Overall, it's like a rauchbier but not nearly as aggressive - sweet and zesty to balance the smoke. Not something I'm racing out to get another bottle of, but not bad either.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

With all the numbers Rogue posts on their bottles, it really surprises me that they don't date them. I'd guess that this specific bottle is close to a year old.

Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: A well-sized, frothy, off-white cap sits atop a cloudy (nearly opaque), dark amber body. Impressive head retention and lacing for a chile beer; usually the head is killed by the pepper oils.

Smell: Chipotle for sure, but the adobo steals the show. I get sweet tomatoes, vinegar, and a mix barbecue sauce-like aromas. Smells far more sweet than spicy, but I enjoy it.

Taste: Sweet and smoky chipotle, stewed tomatoes, oregano, and a hint of pepper. Mild in terms of spiciness, but certainly flavorful.

Mouthfeel: Moderately carbonated, light-to-medium in body, a little oily, and a little spicy. Pepper oils linger on the palate for quite some time, allowing the imbiber to build on the spiciness. Nicely put together.

Drinkability: I've got a soft spot for chile beers, but I'm a big chipotle fan. This was okay, but I would have liked more spiciness. Other than that, solid.

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

1 pint 6 fl oz/650 mL bottle poured to wine glass
Aroma(3.5): malts-cereal, yeast: earthy,
Appearance(3.75): amber, light brown, frothy, white foam, some lacing
Taste(3.25): lightly bitter, with spicy follow through that stays on roof of mouth and tongue
Palate(3.25):medium body, creamy, average carbonation, long finish,
Overall(3.75): Good beer, can be repeated but not something to look forward to
Drank: March 16, 2016

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pretty rust/amber color with a full white head that settles into clumps.

S: Bready-yeast background is there, and the hops are noticeable as well. Faint smokeyness. Nothing about the aroma is particularly strong or distinctive. Malt becomes more apparent with warming.

T: smoked jalapeno flavors enhance the basic amber ale malt flavor nicely. Smooth transition from smoke and pepper to sweet malt.

M: a little thin feeling as you would expect, and carbonated about right. Pepper and alcohol work together to give the mouth a little zing.

D: I enjoyed the first 12oz. but after that, my tastebuds really didn't get much deeper than the smokey flavors. I appreciate this as something different and would drink it again, but it will not be often. This is a beer that would really benefit from the right food pairing.

3.54/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

First I should admit that I love chipotles, with that whole chili- peppers-charred-with-cigar flavoring that I adore in select foods.
Secondly, I know what kind of nadir pepper beers can produce, after my bile ducts still start churning after the mention of the conjunction of any two or more of following words: cave, creek, crazy, Ed's, Chili, Beer.

This pours a burnt golden orange topped with a scattered, pocky bubbled crown.
The nose has vague caramel grain notes coupled with burnt rubber and Chipotle gradations.
The malt base is wide and weak, featuring notions of caramel and dark breads. The middle is filled with chipotle smoke, robust, and meaty, with the beading sweaty flesh of the pepper still issuing commands, tastewise. There is an underlying heat, but not of Hot Sauce, rather of a peppery, jerk seasoning. The hops conclude with glimpses of florals. Chipotle reigns, but the balance is suitable. The subtle building heat is actually a bit intoxicating in more ways than one.
The body is frail and pale, and the carbonation is juvenile, as in underdelevopeled and flat.
It seems like it probably loses something due to simplicity, and on it's own it's a bit eh, but it would certainly hold it's own as a tex-mex wash.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On draft at the Rogue Ale House, Portland, Oregon.

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and good lacing.

The smell featured a light pale malt with a trace of smoke.

The taste consisted of meaty, smoky flavors; buttery malts and caramel.

The mouthfeel was of medium fullness.

Overall an interesting ale. The light smokiness was pleasantly surprising.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Slightly hazy amber with about a finger of off-white head. Retention is very nice as a thin film with a thick collar remains for the duration. Moderate lacing.

S - Great smoky aroma of chipotle peppers. A smaller aroma of pale malts and light hops accentuates the peppers perfectly.

T - It tastes like peppers for sure, but it's also a bit lacking on the "beer" side of things and strikes me as borderline one-dimensional. In fact, most of the taste doesn't pull through until late palate and in the aftertaste. Early on a mild malt and slight hop character mingle with some of the smoke from the peppers. Mid palate sees the smoke heat with some character from the peppers themselves. Overall very mild until the end of the sip...then it hits like a wrecking ball. Smoke plus peppers (chipotle) hits intensely...it's almost like taking a huge whiff of chipotles; a whiff big enough where you can taste it. After the swallow, a lot of smoke character remains and suddenly the heat kicks in. It's not too bad, a lot like a tad too much red pepper on some meat, or too much black pepper on fried eggs. Hot, but managable.

M - I don't know what kind of mouthfeel would best accompany this interesting marriage of flavors, but the light body and fairly high carbonation of this brew seemed to work well enough.

D - Let's just say I hope I can make it through the rest of the bomber. The heat grows after repeated sips, and honestly it's giving me a bit of heartburn. It's a great flavor, but not exactly something I want to sip on for very long. Might be a good beer to pair with food, or better yet, a great brew to use as a base for a lot of beer/tomato juice cocktails.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from 650 ml bottle into a standard pint.

A: Amber hue. Light carbonation rises throughout. Pours about a 1 finger, foamy, bone white head. Settles fairly slowly leaving a little blanket of foam on the surface. Some decent beer ring lacing.

S: Malty baked bread nose. Really woody tone, and a hint of peppers as its namesake.

T: Pale malty flavor, lightly hopped, with just the right amount of chili pepper. As much as the slight spice, you get the nice earthy flavor of the pepper as well. Just a bit of an earthy hop note.

M: Pretty light body. Does leave you with a bit of a washed out feeling, but the pepper gives you a nice hint of spice that lingers throughout the experience.

D: Great refreshing quality, but hearty enough for a prolonged drink.

Atmosphere is pretty good. Decent body, and a fair foamy head. Nose has a nicely balanced combination of malt, earthtone, and pepper. Flavor follows suit. Pale malt, earthy heartiness, and a nice subtle chile pepper. Overall, this is a good quaff.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

This is a very interesting beer. I thought the pepper was really balanced but a lot of the people who tried it with me thought otherwise. The beer is a nice amber color with a fluffy off white head and great lacing. The smell is what's the most odd about this beer to me. It smelled a lot like beer, but it smelled almost like something had gone wrong in the process. It didn't smell bad, it just smelled different. I will attribute that to the chipotle peppers. The taste is great though, with nice caramel overtones and not a whole lot of smokiness or stiff spicy flavor. It's in the finish where the chipotle peppers shine... instead of an alcohol burn on the way down you get a really nice warming sensation from the presence of the peppers. This would be a great beer on a cold winter night. The mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing considering the peppers. Definitely not a beer you'll be having more than two of in one evening.

Interesting indeed.

Pours a clear red-brown, with a big frothy off-white head. Nice looking beer.

Smells surprisingly malty. There's a definite spiciness, but it's subdued -- I don't know if I would have identified it as chipotle in a blind tasting.

The taste brings yet another surprise -- rather than the somewhat sweet malty beer I expected from the aroma, I got a smoky treat. There's a very little bit of spicy heat, as well, which builds over the course of the drink. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel is nice, but the spice could be a bit much after more than one...not that it's overly hot, but it's a bit odd.

Overall, a really interesting beer, and probably better than I expected. And after my tasting, the rest of the bottle went very well with my barbecue beef on sourdough.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours an amber color with a small head that falls fast but leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma is slightly malty and smoky with a Tabasco thing. The flavor is very mild with the pepper. Lots of smoky flavors and only a slight bit of Chipotle spice. Interesting. Not really my kind of thing, but it's good to try something different.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Picked up from Austin Liquors after much deliberation. Would have liked a little more heat though.

A - Poured into my Clown Shoes pint a copper colour with a fizzy one finger head that receeed to leave minimal lacing and an almost nonexistant halo.

S - Mostly just sweet malts here. There are some super light chipotle notes.

T - Like the nose this is lots of malts up front. As it moves in the mouth though a light smokey chipotle flavour comes through, finishing with just a little bit of nondescript chili heat.

M - Low on the carbonation here. Its good, it just comes off as a little thin and watery.

O - Its a pretty good chile beer. Could use a little more chipotle flavour. This is probably a good introduction beer to this style?

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber

Appearance: Real nice at first. Copper colored with a thick 1 finger head. Sadly, the head just dissipates into nothing. It loses some points for that

Smell: Sweet malts....no sign of the chipotle peppers

Taste: Crisp carbonation gives way to sweet malts and a wonderfully bitter hop finsih. As the hop flavor faded I was introduced to a smoky dry chipotle pepper taste....too bad it was subtle as hell. On the bottle it says that the flavor is subtle but I was still expecting more. Despite not having a huge chipotle pepper taste, this beer is still a high quality ale.

Mouthfeel: Kinda thin and alil watery...nothing special.

Drinkability: Would be good with an angus burger.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

It poured out a nice red-tinted, hazy oak, with a thick reddish head. It smelled like roasted peppers, caramel, and (bready) yeast. While I could taste hops, they were just a foundation for the roasted chipotles and malt. And this is a malty beer, not sweet, but a little thicker than I had expected. More importantly: it has a heavy roasted chipotle flavor, though very little heat. Instead, the peppers give a great roasted / smoky flavor. This beer would be wonderful with a big Southwestern meal.

I'm not sure how typical this beer is for the style. While I was expecting a crisp, spicy pale ale, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoky, roasted taste.

3.55/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a bomber bottle into a tasting glass.

A: A dark copper reddish color with minimal light reddish head.

S: Sweet malts with some pepper and spice notes mixed with a distinct smoke smell.

T: Sweet fruits with a deep caramel malt start off that quickly get taken over by the smoky spicy flavor. Some pepper come in with a twinge of hops. Not as "spicy" as I would think, I was getting more of a smoky flavor coupled with some faint spice. Finish allows the spicy smoke to linger.

M: Medium but spicy and peppery. No alcohol but the flavor does last in the mouth.

D: Medium, I got real tired of this real quick.

Overall not a beer I will grab again. I have wanted to try it for awhile now and I'm glad I did, but beyond that it does not inspire me. Let me also say I'm a huge pepper and hot spicy stuff fan and this beer didn't really live up the the chili side of things.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales