Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,401 |  Reviews: 698
2.36/5  rDev -34.3%

A- Nice Amber color

S- I did not notice any chipotle smell after pouring although it had did have a pleasant aroma.

T- I agree that the taste is similar to a mild amber ale upfront. Definately felt some heat in the finish, which was nice and not too overpowering.

M- good mouthfeel

D- I am glad I tried it, but I don't think I will buy it again. I like spicy foods, but not a big fan of spicy beers.

2.37/5  rDev -34%

Had a 22 oz. bottle of this beer,made with actual chipotle peppers. I had to try this beer.Poured into a pint glass.Nice amber color.beautiful fluffy white head.Had a smokey,very slight vineagar.spicey smell.
It tasted ok at first,but the aftertaste I didn't like, I felt like I was drinking it out of an old shoe.My friends also tasted it and didn't like it either. Maybe it would have tasted good with chips and salsa. This the only beer from Rogue I don't like.

2.38/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance – This one is clear brown in color with no head. It looks like a flat Marzen.

Smell – The light, weak malt nose is no match for the strong chile aroma. NassT.

Taste – I found some peaty notes that seem to say that these chiles were roasted on an open grill. It actually does taste a bit like chipotle, but in a bad sort of way.

Mouthfeel – This one is a bit bigger than light-bodied and flat. The aftertaste had me gagging.

Sinkability – Ay, caramba! Estos cervesa es muy malo.

2.41/5  rDev -32.9%

Chipotles and beer do not usually go together, except in the forms of spicy tacos and Corona. So it is with some suspicion and trepidation that I approach an ale made with chipotles. Even the first whiff lets me know the strength of the peppers, as the ale--with its expected odors of lightly toasted grains and malts--bears a strong smoky quality about the nose, reminiscent of a Rauchbier, but with more kick.

On the tongue, the chipotle flavor is front and center, dominating from the first moment to the last with its spicy smokiness. And make no mistake: there is a definite light burn to it, like watery Tabasco. On a good note, this is top-quality chipotle flavor, reminding me instantly of greasy cantinas in Mexico City where the chipotles are fire-roasted out back in rotating mesh drums--the kind of cantinas where you eat until it's simply impossible to stuff more food down your windpipe. On a bad note, the flavor is strong enough that the rest of the ale is largely left by the wayside, which is truly something, considering this ale has three kinds of malts and two varieties of hops.

Overall, then, while I do adore the flavors of chipotles in general, they're overly-represented here, and should have been equal partners, rather than the dominating boss demanding those TPS reports be delivered five minutes ago.

2.42/5  rDev -32.6%

A: copper with pretty good sized head

S: a little smokey and spicy with a bit of hop aroma

T: didn't work for me. I was really curious about this when I saw it but felt the smokey chipotle pepper was a little too overpowering to have a 22 on your own

M: average for an almost reddish ale

D:just too much heat. I love good spicy food and hoped this would be a great combination but it just seemed a little too one dimensional to me

I would say it's an interesting beer to try, but best to have a few friends around to taste with you as I couldn't do a whole 22 by myself

2.45/5  rDev -31.8%

pours a semi-hazy dark orange with a small dirty white head, and just a little lacing.

smell is of corn, grain, some pepper, a little chili powder in the back, and malt.

taste is of chipolte, corn, malt, and a touch of caramel, end has a strange aftertaste to it.

2.46/5  rDev -31.5%

22oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a clear amber color with a finger of dense white head. Good retention.

S: Each time I sniff this beer, I get something different - really odd. It's like it has a bunch of different flavors (all fairly mild), but they aren't melded together. It's like smelling several different beers all at once. I get bready malts, a bit of smoke, a bit of piney hops, and a bit of malted milk balls. In the background, I also get a bit of spice.

T: Equally as odd. The beer starts out with bready malts andy a bit of toffee behind that. After that I get some oxidation notes with a piney hop and slight smoke finish. Again, the flavors seem independent of each other and really do not meld together. The beer is also quite dry to the point it's a bit unpleasant. The aftertaste has a bit of spice burn.

M: Very thin with medium to high carbonation.

O: Definitely an odd experience. There are a lot of things going on in this beer, but all very mild and the flavors do not meld well. I really don't like this beer very much. It need a thicker mouthfeel, more sweetness, and flavors that complement each other a bit better.

2.48/5  rDev -30.9%

I had no idea what to expect upon buying this one. The aroma definitely has chipotle with the usual hops. Pours deep amber with a medium tan head. The taste is actually very mild. Hoppy and malty, the chipotle takes a back seat. You can taste it, but its not like that horrible. It wasn't to enjoyable.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Overheard some guy at a recent beer festival complaining about one of the more experimental offerings: "Keep all that fruit and spices and shit outta my BEER!" I appreciate a pure approach to any craft, but for those of us who feel beer is somewhere between craft and art, his remarks seemed short-sighted. But it takes all kinds, even the people who don't want pineapple in their pizza or keyboards in their rock 'n' roll.

So it was with brave heart and palate that I reached for this strange Rogue offering several days later. Now I open it and find a light-tan head with a slight red tint to it. The color of the beer is also very red, with sparse and mellow bubbles.

The aroma is strongly of chipotle but even more strongly of the smoke they were smothered in. It's a very nice and, for a beer, very unusual smell. If I were blindfolded I probably wouldn't guess this was beer I'm smelling.

Flavor-wise, well, you gotta love smoked beer to get anything out this. As with the aroma, the smoke comes on much stronger than the actual chipotle flavor. But, chipotle being a very distinctive flavor, it's here, and the smoke/pepper combination is a hairy thing to have in the mouth in liquid form. Yikes. Had the smoke been a little less powerful, and the beer itself carried through something, ANYTHING resembling traditional ingredients, it would've helped offer more depth than it does. It has no depth, and thus strikes these tastebuds as a novelty.

Mouthfeel is fairly dry and the spicy and smoky elements linger long.

The first sip is cool. The second sip you start noticing its weaknesses. By the fifth sip I'm not sure I can make it through this bomber-size bottle. Maybe they should sell this in 6 oz. bottles. A novelty beer, a novelty bottle. Glad to have had it, and I still don't agree with the ultra-purist beer drinker referenced above...but no doubt, neither one of us are big fans of this particular experiment.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales