Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Reviews: 696 | Ratings: 1,396
3.8/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a brilliantly clear, reddish amber color and is topped by a frothy, three-finger thick, light tan colored head. The aroma has a slight, yet almost caramelized fruity, smokey note to it that just seems characteristically like a chipotle to me. There is a bit of chile-like vegetal notes, but this is fairly mellow and there only if you really look for it. The smoke though, is the dominant note in the aroma.

The taste is lightly sweet up front, with a solid caramel/ crystal malt contribution. The finish is all smokey chipotle though. This is not to say that the chipotle notes are domineering, they are quite evident though, but in a almost subtle, sort of integrated manner. This is a nice quaffable beer as well, and I could see this pairing pretty well with some Mexican food. It is not spicy at all, which makes me wonder what kind of impotent chipotles were used in the making of this beer, but this makes for a much more universally drinkable beer (though why would you do this for such a niche beer). Regardless this is pretty tasty, and I am going to see how this beer pairs with a red-chile pazole.

It actually pairs quite well, the smokiness is subdued by the red chile broth, but still retains its complexity, and it remains an almost quenching retreat from the heat of the dish. In fact I would say that where this beer really excels is in its pairing with spicy Mexican food. I'll certainly try it with all sorts of dishes.

3.48/5  rDev -3.1%

22 picked up at the Coop for $5... I am making pulled pork and thought that the brew would be nice base for a BBQ sauce... poured about half the bottle into my shaped Sam Adams glass.

1" head above a clear copper amber brew... no real lacing.

Brew doesn't really smell spicy or smoky... more just like a standard medium American hopped Amber ale.

The chipotles are definitely there in the flavor but more of a background smoky/spicy... more smoky than spicy at first sip.. citrus hops are still there as is the standard Amber ale flavors.. Brenda says it goes great with lime flavored tortilla chips. Body is standard Amber as well... the smoky chipotle flavor is more of a novelty to me... I like to use chipotles in my Chili.. I may have to give a little bit of Rogue love to my next batch... but otherwise I don't see me picking this up again unless I am using it something I am cooking... interesting, but not my cup of tea.

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A. Hazel with little to no head.

S. Spicy pepper nose. The chipolte is evident here.

T. A sweet initial taste with a roasted hot pepper finish, kind of like the bottle says. It gets spicier as you drink more.

M. Tingly on the tongue and arouses the taste buds for sure.

D. Honestly, one of these is enough for me. Good for the style, definately, and Rogue doesn't seem to make bad beer. It just gets to be too spicy after a while.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

You won't find any chili peppers floating in this bottle and even if there were, there's no guarentee you'd be able to see them; Chipotle Ale has a light enough auburn colour but its tone is deep and its complexion considerably hazy. Bubbles are visible but manage only the bare minimum for head. Any lacing left gradually sinks back down the side of the glass.

When it comes to hot pepper beers, even that of a good brewery like Rogue, it's hard to know whether you're in for one of the most distinct taste experiences of your life or whether you've just bought a front row ticket to a train wreck. Of course, it could be both. By the smell of it, however, this should be palatable, if a little more tame than expected.

The flavour, like the aroma, has notes of a moderately smoky jalapeno and toasty, low attenuated malt. It tastes like something that would probably go well in a chili (though I've yet to try it out yet, but I plan to). Paired alongside a plate of salty nachos con queso, however, I can assure it is a smart move; it cuts the grease and compliments the raw veggies.

Don't expect Chipotle Ale to be an advertisement for Alka-Seltzer - anything that might have caused heart burn is heavily subdued. The lack of acid reflux would suggest that milder chipotles were used to begin with, but the beer is more smoky than it is zesty. The finish showcases an ordinary amount of hop bitterness too; nothing spicy ever develops.

The ratings on Beer Advocate will overwhelmingly tell you that chili peppers and beer are rarely on speaking terms. Rogue's Chipotle Ale, however, isn't too hard to swallow what so ever. It's Tex-Mex meets the North-West and it's a surprisingly decent combination, especially when (or, rather, provided) it is paired with the right foods. Bravo and Salud! to Rogue.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

22 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Slightly cloudy golden orange color with a frothy, retentive white head with little lacing.
S: Light spicy and smokey aroma, unusual for a beer but what you'd hope for from this beer. Some malt background but no hops.
T: Starts off with a slightly sweet, malty taste with a spiciness of red pepper that slowly creeps and becomes strong in the finish. Also the smoke from the smell is present at the end. Medium, smooth body, with a warm finish but not from alcohol, but the pepper.
D: Not a bad beer, nice complement to a meal but something I would rarely want to drink on its own. Worth a try.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On draft at the Rogue Ale House, Portland, Oregon.

Poured a medium copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and good lacing.

The smell featured a light pale malt with a trace of smoke.

The taste consisted of meaty, smoky flavors; buttery malts and caramel.

The mouthfeel was of medium fullness.

Overall an interesting ale. The light smokiness was pleasantly surprising.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

22 oz. bomber, poured into a Duvel tulip,

A: Dark red-brown with a medium white head.

S: Smells of bready malt, with a hint of chipotle peppers.

T: Big caramel malt, the chipotle peppers are subtle and not over-the-top, making their main appearance as some slight capsaicin warming at the end of the sip.

M: Smooth, medium-bodied, spicy.

D: A good beer, would go well with Mexican food, I would have liked a little more robustness in the pepper aspect of this beer, but overall it was a good experience and I'm glad I tried it, and with this one revisited it.

4.64/5  rDev +29.2%

From a 22 Oz Bomber.

Pours little hazy red to red amber colored ale.

Smell is malt and jalapeno tang on the first sniff. More effort reveals some dark roasted malt and a little spicy tickle from the peppers. Smoke comes next as you really concentrate on it and it starts to smell like a barbecue. There is also the scent of jalapenos baked into cornbread here. There is no mistaking the wonderful scent of roasting Chili peppers; I love that smell! This kindles for me memories of Chilie roasting time in Albuquerque New Mexico.

Taste is dry and SMOKEY! Smokey enough to show a lot of other smoked beers how to do it. A very good flavor of Jalapeno here that fruity and tart flavor is unmistakable. This brew accentuates the flavor of dried Chipotles perfectly; the fresh version would have more sweetness from the flesh of the pepper. Nice solid bitterness in the finish that mimics perfectly the slight bitterness you get from a little bit of charred pepper skin in fresh roasted chilies. Only possible improvement would be slightly more sweetness but I suspect those sugar just would never escape getting munched by the yeast. This isn't hot at all to me but I grew up in the Southwest and was eating hot peppers before I became conscious of my own existence.

Mouthfeel is very good.

Drinkable as all hell! To me THIS is the ultimate Barbecue or Tex-Mex beer. Or I would drink it anytime; I am a major Chilie Head.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 22oz bomber into a pint glass.

Appearance: slightly hazy tawny-orange color with one finger of ivory head. Could be pretty good.

Smell: well, it doesn't smell like any other beer I've tried before, but then it doesn't smell strongly of chipotles either. It smells slightly chalky, vegetable-y, and, indeed, a little peppery; my brain wants to say cayenne pepper. Bonus points for originality.

Taste: up front it is a strong kind of neutral flavor; chalky; indeed, almost waxy. The initial flavor is almost berry-like in its fruitiness, and it is only later that the spiciness and chili qualities hit with full force. Even so, it is not discernably "spicy" on the tongue; however, I'm still getting little beads of sweat on my forehead as I imbibe it. I have to give this a 4, because while it may not be something I drink every day, it is an interesting and well-executed brew.

Mouthfeel: medium body with an average carbonation level. Nothing to write home about.

Drinkability: I like this beer well enough to finish it; and, while I appreciate the craft that went into it, I don't know that I'll be getting it again. Perhaps it would go well with a meal. This is simply one difficult beer for me to rate.

3.34/5  rDev -7%

Appears a semi-transparent, dark copper with a fluffy, light tan head that quickly fades into a mild cap. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of spicy hot pepper up front with a mild smokiness and a sugary, bready backbone that keeps this beer interesting.
Taste is of yeasty bread, hoppy spiciness, and citrus, along with a touch of a smokey, peppery heat flavor.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation that makes the sugary sweet malt come through the heat barrier.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on December 29, 2011. The pour is amber-copper with a short-lasting head that boils down to a ring and a slightly cloudy appearance. For the title, the aroma is actually rather straight forward with a nuice sweet maltiness and a clean hoppiness on the nose. The body is medium. Compared to the aroma the taste is entirely unique with a very spicy bite of pepper that pretty mucn drowns out the malts and hops. Unique for certain but not really something I would have regularly.

4.12/5  rDev +14.8%

A: Copper with a light tan head, some retention & lace.

S: Smokey, roasted red pepper, chili-powder, pale malt.

T: A fairly bold smoked-pepper flavour, with a slight underlying pale malt flavour.

M: Moderate body is well carbonated with a little acidity, dry finish.

D: Decent.

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours an amber golden colour, with a filmy head of creamed-honey coloured head, a little lacing, but it's very filmy. Quite pale, can't say I'm a huge fan, to be honest, but it's ok.

Lots of sweetness on the nose, very honey-like; almost reeking of it, with the sort of floral notes that come from specific honey varieties as well. Some light smokiness, but not a huge amount - quite subdued for what I was expecting. But it's a very pleasant aroma nonetheless.

Smokiness is far more pronounced on the palate, with a really sweet-smoked character coming through, like honey baked ham. Some crispness on the finish, with a rather dry character. Mouthfeel is incredibly tingly, partly from carbonation, and probably from the peppers, but it does add a zing to the smoke characters.

I've had better smoked beers, but the smoky characters on this one are quite well done. I fear that this beer, unlike others I've had, doesn't have quite as good a base recipe - but it's certainly quite pleasant, and drinkable enough for what it is.

Certainly the best chile beer I've yet tried.

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Poured a bright, clear orange with amber highlights and a foamy beige head that settled after several minutes to a sparse micro-bubbly layering. Visible carbonation was strong and steady.

S: roasted chipotle peppers and a light smoked woodiness along with some caramel malt.

T: The initial flavor starts off spicy from the roasted peppers, that was zesty and pronounced with an underlying sweet roasted maltiness. The peppery nature is certainly distinguishable providing a mild spiciness that gentle faded leaving a warming sensation deep in the stomach. There was a light smokiness but it was the spicy peppery nature and warming in the stomach that truly characterize this beer. There was traces of dried citrus while the balance of the roasted peppers and malting was good with just enough to give it a spicy kick, but not enough to totally distract from the beer nature.

M: light, slick, with a nice spicy pepperiness, spicing things up which left a warming sensation on the tongue and lips.

D: Definitely not a session beer, The hot roasted peppers brings a spicy and sauciness that was quite unique. On bomber should be plenty. A novelty beer but a very good one at that and worth a try for the adventurous beer drinker seeking out something different. Will definitely spicy up your night.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Picked up from Austin Liquors after much deliberation. Would have liked a little more heat though.

A - Poured into my Clown Shoes pint a copper colour with a fizzy one finger head that receeed to leave minimal lacing and an almost nonexistant halo.

S - Mostly just sweet malts here. There are some super light chipotle notes.

T - Like the nose this is lots of malts up front. As it moves in the mouth though a light smokey chipotle flavour comes through, finishing with just a little bit of nondescript chili heat.

M - Low on the carbonation here. Its good, it just comes off as a little thin and watery.

O - Its a pretty good chile beer. Could use a little more chipotle flavour. This is probably a good introduction beer to this style?

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer pours a golden red color with a good carbonation and a thick creamy light tan head.

S- This beer has the smell of green hops with a faint chipotle heat in the finish. Some notes of toasted grain are also present.

T-This beer has a big pine hops taste with a nice base of toasted grain. The finish is a nice smoky red pepper flavor that is very well balanced. The slight warmth of chilies clings faintly to the throat at the finish.

M- This beer has a nice medium full mouthfeel with a hint of creaminess. No alcohol heat but a hint of chile heat.

D- This is a very pleasant chile beer. I'm quite surprised who good it is. I thought all chile beers had to involve pain but this one is all pleasure.

3.78/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured the 22 oz. bomber bottle into a mug and received a lightly-tinted brown with a frothy, one-finger head that died at a medium pace. Some earthy hops and a light malt base in the smell, but I really picked up the peppers (reminded me of a pot of baked beans for a second). I wouldn't say dry or crisp for the mouthfeel, but just heat. This was like a good ale with a noticeable hop presence and some malts in there. Then it was like I did a shot of hot sauce. OK, it is a little bit more complicated than that, but I am trying to get a point across. My mouth actually heated up from this beer. I am not a big chili fan, and I thought the chipotle peppers overpowered the ale a tad, but I would recommend this to try once to anyone.

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from bottle(room temp) a nice amber with a huge head that settled down after a while but remained throughout.

The smell was malty..can't say any of the peppers made it to my nose.

The taste was very malty and then notes of "heat" made their presence and lingered right through the aftertaste.

This is a very different kind of beer for me and though I "feel" that this must be one of the better examples of the style, I have to think the style is not for me. Try it and find out for yourself. ;^)

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bomber

Appearance - Slightly hazy amber colour with a large size fizzy and frothy white coloured head. There is a low amount of carbonation showing and there is some fair lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, bread, peppers, smoke

Taste & Mouth - There is an above average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, smoke and some peppers. I've only had one beer like this before, and this one wasn't too in your face and over the top taste wise.. which is good. It finishes with a malty and spicy aftertaste.

Overall - I managed to drink the bottle.. but it really isn't my sort of thing. I'll give it points for originality bu I wouldn't buy this beer again.. well maybe for cooking as some other have suggested.

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%

The beer pours an amber/orange color with about a half inch off-white head. The aroma is weak, but I can smell roasted peppers and a bit of malt. It tastes like spicy roasted peppers and has a hoppy finish but it's not as spicy as I expected. The heat/spice does get stronger (and tastes better) the more of it I drink, but the spicyness isn't overwhelming at all. Mouthfeel is light, and it's oily and smooth. Drinkability is good too, it goes down easy. All in all, it's a decent beer. I'd definitely drink it again, it was a pleasant surprise because I really didn't know what to expect with this beer.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Had this a while ago. Review is from my notes

A - Cloudy amber with little to no head
S - Peppers and hops.
T - Not too much burn but the pepper is highly balanced with this brew.
M - Burn kind of lingers a bit upon finishing but in a way it was refreshing
D - I may have to track this down again and do the "drink with Mexican food" advice. It kind of ruins the night for drinking since the burn kind of sticks with you for at least and hour or two so in a way it is "spicy"

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

The first chile beer I've ever reviewed.

Appearance- Pours a very deep copper amber hue with only light bubbling but some noticeable lacing. The color is just awesome, I must reitorate. A little feline foam remains for only a couple of sips.

Smell- Very oddball smokey amber malt aroma. Not like the amber malts but of mildly spicey vegetables. Prety unique. The chipotle does makes its presence known.

Taste- Starts with a normal red ale toasty and biscuity flavor. Then the toast turns into smoke. Pepper smoke. A nice, easy, and very palateable chipotle aroma. Very interesting mix of a traditional amber ale. with soem smokey and slighlkty spicey peppers.

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy, fairly long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: Lots of chiles in the aroma, as you might expect, with some malt as well.

T: Not that it's any surprise, but the chiles took center stage, with a tinge of malt in the finish. This is the sort of flavor that I didn't like at first, but gradually grew on me. Not a complex taste, but good at what it does.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a crisp finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A solidly made beer - hard to do with this style - that's easy to drink.

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

The liquid is clear; the colour is deep amber. The high off-white head is compact, it leaves some fine lacing.

The smell is a bit smoked with hints of meat. Dried fruits, fresh chilli fruits, and some sweetness. I found notes of canned fruits and raisins too. Very pleasant.

The taste is fruity with some matured cellar.notes. Dried fruits and cask-matured notes. In the background, a very elegant chilli heat flavour emerges, but it is never allowed to dominate the palette. Some passing notes of fresh and dried fruits (apricots, mandarins). Medium bodied. The aftertaste is malty with hoppy hints: Some smoked cheese in the background and a mild chilli flavour. Very well kept together. Cream in the finish.

The carbonation is medium strong; small fresh bubbles. The liquid is smooth and a little sticky.

More of desserts drink than a BBQ-beer. Mellow and rounded flavours with chilli in the background. Almost like a light barley wine.

3.41/5  rDev -5%

Bomber from Total Wine

A - Cloudy amber, light fluffy burst of head that thins out. Decent lacing.

S - Roasted malts, carmal, slight piney and floral hop notes.

T - Sweet floral hops, sweet roasted carmel malts. Not much chipoltle flavor, just a little bitter burn and zing on the finnish.

M - Medium body, ample carbs. Little bitter zing that lingers.

D - No real stand out chilie flavors, and the bitter zing was not welcoming for large sips.

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales