Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

rogue.com

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,402 |  Reviews: 699
3.74/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Pours out deep golden-amber and sits deep amber brown in the glass with a fair off-white head fading to a light skim holding to the sides of the glass.

Smells nicely roasted, big notes of sweet and spicy peppers with light smokey undertones. Toasty brown sugar, honey and a mild roasty malt character.

Tastes lightly sweet up front, initially bland, flavors struggling to come through. Syrupy malt flavors, brown sugar wrapped in oak. Faint notes of peppers; just a miniscule twang near the finish. Mildly bitter with some green leafy hop flavor.

Smooth and creamy in the mouth, fairly light carbonation and a medium body. Definately one of the higher points of the beer.

I guess going into this, I was assuming I was going to get something that really pronounced the peppers, I guess leaving things set back a bit is just nicer. For what it is, it's well done, just seems a bit bland to me.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

3.31/5  rDev -7.8%

Well, the seedless chipotle is certainly the star of the show as my very first sip was simply, "Wow...spicy beer!"

This deep copper brew sports a tight tan finger of foam and a dry, earthy nose which requires a wee bit of coaxing. Carbonation is adequate without being prickly and the peppers really hold off to the finish...a welcome relief.

Entry is quite unremarkable and seemingly like an ESB with soft earthy malts flowing over the tongue. Mid-taste has decent body and an inherant sweetness ushering in the inevitable finish.

Ahhh...the finish! The peppers build slowly with a solid backing of almond-like smokiness toward a crescendo of throat drying chipotle goodness. The brewers came as close to 'over the top' as possible without actually losing control of the taste here as each sip begets another.

All-in-all a nice one-off beer, but nothing I could do for a session...but I sure wish I had some more almonds...

4.19/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm trying to figure out if this version of the beer has changed much, if at all, from prior years because it was a lot better than I remember. The appearance of the poor was a dark amber hue with a light head. The smell was smokey with a little bit of pepper mixed in with the hops and malt smells. The taste and mouthfeel are what I love the most about the beer. The taste is deeply smokey with just a little bit of spice on the back of the throat. It makes the beer an easy pairing with Spanish and Indian food. The mouthfeel as well coats your cheeks so that there's a light tingle from the spice. Overall was very nice and for the price I found it at (7.99) not a bad buy.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

First pour: light golden with lager-like clarity and full head. Second pour: darker orange, hazy and no head at all. Musty odor with traces of smokiness and vague hops. Gentle malts are quite subdued and make room for the bold finish which is actually more smoky than spicy. Still the peppers linger in the finish, long beyond the beer, and build up strength in a way that is completely atypical for any beer I have tried, but right in line with the properties of hot peppers. The beer itself is quite nice and refreshing, smooth, and the smokiness is closer to a Bamberger Rauch. I could go either way with this beer; it woud be equally good - and much less intrusive - without the lingering burn, but it does make the beer interesting, even unique.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

4.8/5  rDev +33.7%

2.37/5  rDev -34%

Had a 22 oz. bottle of this beer,made with actual chipotle peppers. I had to try this beer.Poured into a pint glass.Nice amber color.beautiful fluffy white head.Had a smokey,very slight vineagar.spicey smell.
It tasted ok at first,but the aftertaste I didn't like, I felt like I was drinking it out of an old shoe.My friends also tasted it and didn't like it either. Maybe it would have tasted good with chips and salsa. This the only beer from Rogue I don't like.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Chipotle Ale pours a deep, hazy, orange with a red pepper tinge to it and a fuzzy off-white lid. Lighly sweet caramel and toasted malts with some citrusy fruit and hints of spiciness. The flavor is the same with a better, more distinctive, red peppery spiciness that creeps in from behind. Straight medium body with a pleasantly fuzzy and soft carbonation. Nice, interesting beer that I wouldn't mind having again every once in a while.

1.5/5  rDev -58.2%

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Presentation: 22 oz bottle split four ways into wine galases. Like all Rogue beers, no indication of freshness/bottling date.

A- Amber, slightly hazy appearance. Pours with ~1 finger of off white head, which fades very nto a thin, incomplete cap. Spotty lacing.

S- Smokey and peppery with hints of fruity maltiness.

T- Moderately malty notes on the front, which gives way to a moderate smoky, chipotle pepper flavor that hits the back of the mouth and throat- heat is present, but far from overbearing. Surprisingly palatable.

M- Crisp on the front, with moderately high carbonation. Medium feel. Goes down surprisingly smoothly.

D- Better than expected. I wouldn't really want to drink much of this beer alone, but could likely be a fantastic companion to many food pairings.

Future outlook: A real surprise winner in my book. Definitely a beer that I will buy again for the specific purpose of food pairings. Paired very well with a pepper-jack burger, and I'd love to try with other spicy foods.

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

3.32/5  rDev -7.5%

My wife picked this up and made me listen to the Dead. Go figure.

The beer poured a nice color, and look like quite a beer. Oddly enough, There was no detectable smell. The taste was quite muted as well. I wasn't really aware of the taste, but I sensed a smokey aftertaste. It was a decent base ale, but I'll probably not be spending upon it again.

4.09/5  rDev +13.9%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy muddy brown color with a thin white head. Lacing spider webs and slides into the beer.
The smell, well, whaddaya think is there, obviously chipotle heat up front. Nice and peppery. Light breadiness here and there.
The taste was spicy initially and then takes in a sly little bit of bready sweetness to make an effort to balance. Nice spicy aftertaste with a dry finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with a crisp sweet to spicy feel hitting my tongue harshly.
Overall, I get it, or I think I do, I mean, it's a chile beer by style, so why are we picking on the fact that its too spicy? "Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, son." I'd have this again and actually have heard that it goes extremely well in beer bread.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a hazy/cloudy deep golden color with decent white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Aroma is very malty and peppery. Flavor is peppery with smoky notes to it as well. The mouthfeel was thin to medium. I liked this a lot, but I think one bomber would probably be my limit at any one time.

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

220z bomber. This is one of those beers you've got to be in the mood for. I've had a bottle in my fridge for months before, just because I wasn't ready for it.

But with the right food pairing, or even the right weather, this is such a treat. This is to-date the only chili beer that I've gotten through, and a 22oz no less.
I don't consider this a gimick, like those pale lagers with the peper suspended in there and a cheesy name.

The fact that it's chipotle adds a rauchebier-like smokiness, and the spice is very nicely tucked in there.

Amber color and malt forward in the aroma. Getting smokiness in the aroma, but not to much pepper/spice.

Smooth and rich, with a nice semi-full body. I think this is where it shines, with the mouthfeel. The spice isn't a fire, just a mild spice, and the smoke makes it flavorful and adds complexity. Cheers Rogue! Nicely done.

3.42/5  rDev -4.7%

a: pours a deep hazy orange color with about a quarter inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing at all
s: sweet malts chipotle pepper is present
t: chipotle peppers, very peppery flavor sweet malts are in the background
m: medium bodied beer with little carbonation

overall, thisis a decent brew but not a style that i think ill get again

Chipotle Ale from Rogue Ales