Chipotle Ale | Rogue Ales

Oregon, United States

Style: Chile Beer

Availability: Spring

Label of 22 oz bottle:

No Chemicals, No Preservatives, No Additives.

Oregon Brewed - Established 1988

Oxygen Fixing Caps - 35 IBU

Added by TastyTaste on 03-09-2002

Ratings: 1,405 |  Reviews: 700
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.8/5  rDev +34.8%

2.37/5  rDev -33.4%

Had a 22 oz. bottle of this beer,made with actual chipotle peppers. I had to try this beer.Poured into a pint glass.Nice amber color.beautiful fluffy white head.Had a smokey,very slight vineagar.spicey smell.
It tasted ok at first,but the aftertaste I didn't like, I felt like I was drinking it out of an old shoe.My friends also tasted it and didn't like it either. Maybe it would have tasted good with chips and salsa. This the only beer from Rogue I don't like.

3.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.4/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Rogue Chipotle Ale is a dark amber color with just a little haze. There is a 1/2" off-white head that falls off to a spotted cap. Little lacing.

The aroma is smoky and woody. There is kind of a rubbery smell. I get kind of a V-8 Hot and Spicy tomato juice kind of feel out of the aroma. The hops are detectable in the background.

The intitial flavor is a fairly intense smokiness. This is balanced with a light roasted taste and a good hop bite in the finish. Salty with some hint of tomato (first for a beer description for me!). The spiciness doesn't appear until long after the liquid is swallowed. A nice warm feeling from the peppers coats the mouth.

This beer struck me as having a somewhat oily, medium-bodied mouthfeel. Good carbonation. The beer was semi-low on the drinkability scale for me only because this beer is not my bag. A 12oz. sample would have sufficed for me. Very unique and worth a try.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Chipotle Ale pours a deep, hazy, orange with a red pepper tinge to it and a fuzzy off-white lid. Lighly sweet caramel and toasted malts with some citrusy fruit and hints of spiciness. The flavor is the same with a better, more distinctive, red peppery spiciness that creeps in from behind. Straight medium body with a pleasantly fuzzy and soft carbonation. Nice, interesting beer that I wouldn't mind having again every once in a while.

1.5/5  rDev -57.9%

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

Presentation: 22 oz bottle split four ways into wine galases. Like all Rogue beers, no indication of freshness/bottling date.

A- Amber, slightly hazy appearance. Pours with ~1 finger of off white head, which fades very nto a thin, incomplete cap. Spotty lacing.

S- Smokey and peppery with hints of fruity maltiness.

T- Moderately malty notes on the front, which gives way to a moderate smoky, chipotle pepper flavor that hits the back of the mouth and throat- heat is present, but far from overbearing. Surprisingly palatable.

M- Crisp on the front, with moderately high carbonation. Medium feel. Goes down surprisingly smoothly.

D- Better than expected. I wouldn't really want to drink much of this beer alone, but could likely be a fantastic companion to many food pairings.

Future outlook: A real surprise winner in my book. Definitely a beer that I will buy again for the specific purpose of food pairings. Paired very well with a pepper-jack burger, and I'd love to try with other spicy foods.

4.75/5  rDev +33.4%

3.32/5  rDev -6.7%

My wife picked this up and made me listen to the Dead. Go figure.

The beer poured a nice color, and look like quite a beer. Oddly enough, There was no detectable smell. The taste was quite muted as well. I wasn't really aware of the taste, but I sensed a smokey aftertaste. It was a decent base ale, but I'll probably not be spending upon it again.

4.09/5  rDev +14.9%

This was poured into a nonic pint glass.
The appearance was a hazy muddy brown color with a thin white head. Lacing spider webs and slides into the beer.
The smell, well, whaddaya think is there, obviously chipotle heat up front. Nice and peppery. Light breadiness here and there.
The taste was spicy initially and then takes in a sly little bit of bready sweetness to make an effort to balance. Nice spicy aftertaste with a dry finish.
The mouthfeel was about light to medium bodied with a crisp sweet to spicy feel hitting my tongue harshly.
Overall, I get it, or I think I do, I mean, it's a chile beer by style, so why are we picking on the fact that its too spicy? "Can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen, son." I'd have this again and actually have heard that it goes extremely well in beer bread.

4.5/5  rDev +26.4%

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured a hazy/cloudy deep golden color with decent white head that dissipated pretty quickly. Aroma is very malty and peppery. Flavor is peppery with smoky notes to it as well. The mouthfeel was thin to medium. I liked this a lot, but I think one bomber would probably be my limit at any one time.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

220z bomber. This is one of those beers you've got to be in the mood for. I've had a bottle in my fridge for months before, just because I wasn't ready for it.

But with the right food pairing, or even the right weather, this is such a treat. This is to-date the only chili beer that I've gotten through, and a 22oz no less.
I don't consider this a gimick, like those pale lagers with the peper suspended in there and a cheesy name.

The fact that it's chipotle adds a rauchebier-like smokiness, and the spice is very nicely tucked in there.

Amber color and malt forward in the aroma. Getting smokiness in the aroma, but not to much pepper/spice.

Smooth and rich, with a nice semi-full body. I think this is where it shines, with the mouthfeel. The spice isn't a fire, just a mild spice, and the smoke makes it flavorful and adds complexity. Cheers Rogue! Nicely done.

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%

a: pours a deep hazy orange color with about a quarter inch of head that dissapears fast leaving no lacing at all
s: sweet malts chipotle pepper is present
t: chipotle peppers, very peppery flavor sweet malts are in the background
m: medium bodied beer with little carbonation

overall, thisis a decent brew but not a style that i think ill get again

4.26/5  rDev +19.7%

Ok so defiantly better than I expected...

Appearance is pretty bland, although with it being a spring release and it being near fall, what do you expect.
Smell and Taste were very good. At first the beer just smelled and tasted of dry malt, but as some warming occured a nice smell and taste of jalapeno broke through.
I felt like I was eating some medium wings.

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured into a pint glass.
shared 1/2 of a 22oz bottle with a friend.

a: Foamy two finger head, with great retention that lasted the whole beer. Good dark copper, wood color.

s: Not impressed by the smell, it smells like beer, but I was hoping for something a little bit more spicy of an aroma.

t: The taste is explosive. The hints at vanilla and pine reflect on the spicy notes from the chipotle. The off-tastes are that of the spicy chipotle pepper. The first time I had tried this beer, I could not find the spicy notes, but this time...(is this the same beer>)

m: Short mouthfeel, that of a ale that is dry and quick off the palate.

d: Not the most drinkable beer, not that I do not enjoy the style or the ale, but a pepper or spiced beer is in my preference best enjoyed time to time. Maybe I will wait a week before more.

notes: Rouge, taking the brewing to another limit and the result is this bright, and tasty chipotle beer. Really good, perhaps the best pepper beer I have had in a long time.

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pint poured on tap at Publick House into American pint glass. Intrigued by this, thought I would like. Wrong.

A: Another apple juice looking drink. Slight head and too much bubbles.

N: Spice and smoke were there, with some malt background. No bitterness or hops in the aroma.

T: Chipotle definitely present, almost reminded me of a bloody mary sting. Not enjoyable in a beer, not here at least. The taste came off as a bit hokey and not naturally built off the base of the beer.

M: A bit rich, spices dont marry well. Too much carbonation to balance out.

D: I guess if your up for spices or what not, you may like but it doesnt come across well. First beer from Rogue I found undrinkable. Just not my cup o tea.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%