Dead Guy Ale

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale
Notes: An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.
Reviews: 2,517 | Ratings: 7,944 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
JohnniEMc from Pennsylvania

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Maibocks run to the sweet side and this is no exception. I don't generally prefer sweet beers. This is the epitome of a malty one and it's not bad. It looks a little weak, a head that doesn't last long and almost no residue lacing. It does bring a nice sweet hoppy aroma. The taste runs sweet, but not overly and there is a pretty nice malt/hop balance here.

May 24, 2020
KRug from Massachusetts

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Canned 10/11/19

Pours a beautiful honey amber with 3 fingers of off-white head that slowly fades to a cap, moderate lacing

Super sweet and malty smell, definitely some honey, caramel, and dark fruits present with also a slight pepper note. Some hopping holds up well to the sweetness, hopefully that comes through in the taste

Heavy on the malt as I expected, but I am pleasantly surprised how the hops work here, crushing the initial attenuated sweetness into bitter territory, before bringing it back to a flavorful and sweet toasted coconut on the finish, a bit of spice as well. More complex than I was expecting

Medium bodied and rich, this finishes pretty dry for what it is but not overly so, refreshing as all hell

Wow, I'm pretty floored by this one. Relatively cheap, complex, and refreshing. This would be great with some food on a summer day, and I can see myself having a regular stock of this going

Apr 11, 2020
MichaelBorg from Washington

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

A great example of a maibock ale. Drinking from a 12 oz. can, (great packaging design btw) but the flavor is still strong and quite lovely.
Heavy notes of Toffee, and Roasted Malt, with a heavy nutty and hoppy finish. Low IBUs give a very session-able brew. Love it!

Apr 04, 2020
IHateIPAs96

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Acquired from the local discount market. Pours a nice honey tea color. Taste is sweet but not too sweet and hides the 6.8 abv well. Decent head. Good lacing. Very good beer. I first tried this beer a couple years ago on a break from cigarette smoking. I’m smoking again and it tastes better than I remember. I don’t know if that’s a bias we should disclose lol

Mar 08, 2020
tucson_brewson from Arizona

4.11/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've seen this everywhere and finally decided to give it a try. Pint can (Canned 10/14/19) into an imperial pint glass.

L - Pours a slightly hazy copper amber color with about two fingers of slightly-off white head that leaves a generous lacing and sticks nicely to the glass. Decent retention, low carbonation.

S - Biscuit malt, caramel, honey, dried fruit (raisin, apricot), molasses, some earthy hops but mostly sweetness.

T - Follows the nose with malt and caramel up front, vanilla, dried fruit, some citrus, and the sweetness is balanced nicely with bitter earthy hops and a slight metallic/alcoholic bite towards the end.

F - Medium-bodied, light carbonation, fairly smooth and creamy, finishes fairly light but has a good warming quality, due to the slightly higher-than-average ABV.

O - I haven't had many maibocks up to this point, but from what I've read, this seems to be a decent representation. Malty sweetness is balanced with bitter hops, it's not too sticky sweet and is very balanced. I like the artwork, I like that it's an Oregon brewing company, and I will definitely pick this up again.

Mar 01, 2020
octortus from Canada

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

473 mL Can. ABV 6.8%.
Appearance: Slightly veiled honey gold, Less than one finger of light cream head, Ok retention, Low-Medium carbonation, Thin broken cap remains.
Aroma: Light caramel malt, Honey, Earthy hops, Biscuit, Slight molasses, Very slight dark fruit, Reminds me a bit of Fuller's ESB.
Mouthfeel: Just over medium body, High carbonation.
Flavour: Sweet bready malt, Bitter earthy hops, Honey.
Overall:

Review: 131

Feb 10, 2020
Magnificent_Bastard

3.28/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours cobber colored with good white head.

N: malty nose with a cornsugary, sweet aroma touched by a slight bitterness and a creamy juicy pineapple note. Some floral aromas is there as well, but the malty and cornsyrup steals the show

Palate; sweet,round and creamy very maltforward and not much complexity, but a pleasant velvety texture and a semi-dry finish

Jan 24, 2020
HoppyBastard from Nebraska

2.78/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 1 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 1 pint 6 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I can find.

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, copper color with almost no head, what little head was present dissipated in seconds until there was no head, not even a ring of bubbles around the rim, the beer had medium carbonation and there was no lacing on the glass, not pretty to look at.

SMELL: faint toasted bread and caramel.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet caramel and toasted bread then a mildly bitter hop finish with the taste of tea.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: I did not like this beer, it was not flat but had no head, no lacing and did not appeal to me, I would not buy this one again and would not recommend to anyone.

Jan 19, 2020
Thomas_Wikman from Texas

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

I recently bought a six pack of Dead Guy Ale and have had a few. It is a quite good beer and with more flavor than most Lagers or Bocks I've tried, but it is not bitter or heavy. I admit it might be my first Maibock.

Look: hazy golden/amber with an inch thick white head

Aroma: modest aroma of bread, tea, citrus

Taste: The flavor is like toasted bread, caramel, it is fairly sweet, and has a significant tea like hop bitterness at the end.

Body/Overall: medium body, smooth and silky

Dec 27, 2019
TheGreatCthulhu

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Another beer review because, why not?

This time, we're going to review one of the beers that's in my top 10 list, Dead Guy Ale by Rogue Ales.

Is it good? Let's find out!

CLASSIFICATION:

It's an ale, specifically created in the style of a German maibock beer, which is a more hop-centric style of German bock beer.

But let's get rid of the nerdy stuff and look at the stuff that matters, shall we?

COLOR:

A nice golden amber color, with a nice, creamy, off white head. Sticks around for a while before dissipating to a fine lace.

NOSE:

Not much on the nose surprisingly. Hints of sweet malt, biscuits, hops, and citrus.

BODY AND PALATE:

The hops are nice and upfront. It's bitter initially, but then you get sweet caramel and sweet malt flavors, with a hint of dark brown sugar. The feel is also smooth, with a nice feeling carbonation that just goes down easy. Very light and refreshing feeling.

FINISH:

Shortish. It has a malty aftertaste.

CONCLUSION:

Overall, for a nice beer that is hoppy without the hops being overpowering, and balancing out the bitter flavor of the hops with sweet notes really gives this a nice, balanced flavor that's just an easy sipper.

Also, at 6.8% ABV, it's decently strong.

Overall, I give it 9/10. It's great.

Nov 30, 2019
BGDrock from Canada

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

Body like an amber jewel, glimmering; covered with an airy, sawdust coloured head that forms well, but fades out in a minute.
Nose is toffee, caramel malt, fruit cake, raisins, prunes.
It's a winter warmer, with big caramel malt flavours, lighter butterscotch, rum-soaked raisin cake, dried fruit. Sugary and sweet, but with some balancing hops in the finish cutting through just enough to prevent it from being cloying. Medium-heavy body, medium carbonation. Full, silky feel.

Nov 16, 2019
Leeloy

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Certainly in the Maibock category. This beer has a malty profile and flavor, golden brown colour , clear, stable head and finishes with slight hoppy notes.

Nov 12, 2019
entheos from California

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%

What a great beer! It’s a beautiful red maibok that delivers a smoothly voluptuous cream into the mouth of the beholder. I thought it a joke when I bought these in neon, but the dead guy is righteous and I’ll drink this in neon or not!

Nov 11, 2019
weissbock from Alabama

2.31/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.75

Even though i concider rogue to to one of my fave brewers of craft beer, this maibock doesn't do it for me! very little flavor, hops a bit over the top for style imo. not malt forward as should be! very overated. a buddy and i used to joke? that this was a beginners journey into bock beer! Andygater beats it all week long! At least the abita has some complexity! this is a mainstream one trick pony at best. better than bud, Miller, coors,etc... but why all the hoopla? We always suggest calsburg as a virgin travel into better beer, calsburg is quite drinkable compared to this stuff! but tastes vary so if you like dead guy, great.....the worst beer i ever brewed was more interesting, again... different strokes i guess! my faves? aventinus wheat dopplebock, eku28, Salvatore dopplebock per helles bock.

Nov 05, 2019
Weirdmuse

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Has a malty aroma but finishes somewhat hoppy. Well balanced and paired well with my steak. Probably will choose again as a compliment to red meat but maybe not on it's own merits.

Nov 03, 2019
hof_1991 from Wisconsin

Nice example of the style. Drinkable with no hint of alcohol. Maybe not as full of flavors as some beers but I liked its straight forwardness. Would drink again. BTW I had it on tap so no comments on it in a can.

Nov 02, 2019
whitness

If you're looking for a more expensive Bud Light then this beer is for you! The smell & taste are very close to that of bud light and the color is bit deeper than it. This beer had no flavor.

Nov 01, 2019
scarfacecrowe from Missouri

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Look: Pours a deep hazy golden color with nice carbination and a creamy off white head.

Smell: Oh that smell ! Biscuits, bread, malt, maybe a little brown sugar. Wonderful !

Taste: Biscuit, yeast, pumpernickle, unsweetened cocoa, and very light hops as the brew warms. Perfect for fall!!!!

Mouthfeel: Mild carbination with a somewhat dry finish that cleans the palate.

One of my favorite brews!

Oct 26, 2019
klarcbarr3

4.19/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

As I have gained knowledge and appreciation over the years, my tastes have changed. I have evolved from Bud to Sam Adams to Pete's Wicked, to a great variety of dark, sweet beers. As much as I love Pumpkins, Stouts, Porters, and Holiday Ales, I now consider Rogue Dead Guy to be my go to American Ale. I know, it is their spin on a classic German Maibock.. but it is also the closest thing I regularly drink to a crappy American lager. Dead Guy has a deep honey amber color I would love to stain my floors with. There is depth to the body, and a robust, balanced sweet/savory taste that just begs you to drink it. There is decent head, and lacing, for those of you who care about such trivialities. To me, the test of a great beer is taste, and Rogue Dead Guy has it in spades. I love this beer, all year round!

Oct 11, 2019
branham1989 from Texas

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

Rogue Ales Dead Guy Ale 6.8% ABV 40 IBU. This Ale pours a deep golden amber color with a finger width slightly off white colored head that lingers for a bit before leaving some lacing on the glass. The aroma is of malts with hints of citrus and caramel overall a pretty sweet aroma. The flavor is very malt forward with hints of toffee and caramel and dark brown sugar before it finishes with a slightly hoppy bitterness to help counteract the sweetness of the malts. The mouthfeel is a bit thin for my liking I wish it was more creamy but the carbonation level is perfect. 7.5/10

Oct 11, 2019
MattDecker from Texas

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Look: Amber-orange
Smell: slight citrus, light light malt, little Carmel too, but there is barely any aroma really
Taste: sweet, super chill, honestly - tastes like a better shiner bock with honey.
Feel: light-medium, fits really well
Overall: unique for me, I like it and it's not similar to another beer I've had (other than the shiner comment)

Sep 03, 2019
SB2017 from Iowa

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Thin foamy head, deep toasted amber color. Super lively nose (spectacular), with lemon zest and strong, round malt. I can't really identify what this beer tastes like. Earthy, almost vegetabley, and alluring. Perfectly balanced. Mild hops, little bitterness, and fully malted, but refreshing all the same. Great beer. EDIT: out of the can this beer is completely different from the tap. Just a solid red ale in the can, not nearly as special.

Aug 30, 2019
Jynormiss from Canada

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

I dont usually like ales but this one is definitely making me more interested in exploring the style. Beautiful deep honey colour with a nice off white head that dropped quickly to a fairly persistent collar. Smells like sweet malt with some spice. Tastes like biscuits drizzled with caramel first with a nice sharp hoppy finish to follow. Full bodied and heavy feeling until the carbonation creeps onto the palate and lightens everything up. Fantastic!

Aug 28, 2019
Beer_Right_Back from Arizona

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

C's get degrees. This malt forward ale doesn't do really anything special, but its good enough to be drinkable. Its disappointingly boring when it comes down to it, and we didn't have much to say. If you like sweet, malty beers, you'll probably think this is okay.

Jul 15, 2019
sjdevel from Colorado

4.08/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Look......light brown / slight copper with 2 finger head from 12oz can. Quite frothy and decent retention

Smell......not much on aromatic properties. Slight hops....slight caramel

Taste..... Decent amount of hops upfront with some nice bitterness. Next rushes in sweet caramel and Munich malt. Very flavorful. Hop flavor is nice. Some dark brown sugar also. Dries out some but overall sweet and rich.

Feel.....seems a bit thinner but a medium body and slight slick oil feel

Overall......I have seen this beer out there for many many years but just now trying. I didn't realize it was a maibock. I thought it was another overrated Amber Ale out there. This is really flavorful and enjoyable. I wish I would have tried it sooner because I am a fan.

Jul 13, 2019