Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

4.3

Ratings: 7,676 |  Reviews: 2,455
Reviews by Murrhey:
3.4/5  rDev -13.7%

Had on-tap at The Yardhouse in Costa Mesa, CA. Reviewed from notes.

A- Finger and a half off-white head. Longish retention with a light, coppery color. Some bubbly lacing.

S- Very subtle scent. Some pineyness and medium barleys but I can barely detect it.

T- Bitter and spicy. Quite an unusual flavor.

M- Lighter bodied, fairly dry and smooth.

O- This beer is nostalgic for me so maybe the score got bumped up a little. But tasty and unique flavor.

3.64/5  rDev -7.6%

Undated bottle at 40 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma malty/biscuity
Head average (3 cm), off white, frothy, slowly diminishing to irregular partial 2 mm layer
Lacing OK - one partial ring with stalactites and some small islands with tiny to small bubbles
Body medium orange, hazy
Flavor malty with bitter aftertaste; no hops, no alcohol, no diaceetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.75, Flavor 3.75, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5. Final weighted score: 3.6375
While the head is attractive, the lacing (meh) and the color/clarity of the ale leave a lot to be desired. The aroma is very tempting and the flavor does not miss expectations. The palate is pretty good. Overall, this is a reliable ale – good but not outstanding.

2.83/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

With the new Maibock tasting thread scheduled, and all of the inevitable discussion about Dead Guy and the debate over its style niche, I went on the hunt for some DG -- and almost failed to find some, but Rogue's BeerFinder helped out.

I drank this stuff a lot back in the early days of the Micro Boom®, but I've never reviewed it. With my enthusiasm for German-style beers, I could never understand why Rogue called this a Maibock. These days I see they're just calling it an Ale "inspired" by Maibocks, not sure how to rate it, but I'll follow BA's listing.

12 ounce bottle poured into my short Becher glass. No bottle dating to be found. 6.8% ABV now listed on the label.

L -- Clear, deep amber color with a dense and creamy, cream-colored head that holds up well.

S -- Caramel and earthy malt notes up front, warm-fermented fruit esters with warming, spicy, herbal hop notes and peppery alcohol back.

T -- Caramel sweetness with peppery alcohol and herbal, bitter hops. Citrus, peach fruit esters follow the bitterness, but the bitterness dominates the aftertaste.

F -- Mouthfeel is slick and syrupy with a dry, almost astringent finish and medium to light-robust body.

O -- This beer is reminiscent of a Maibock in color only. The strong hoppy bitterness, caramel malt character, and fruit esters are more akin to an American take on a Strong Bitter -- and not a terribly bad one at that, but stand this up to a Hofbräu Maibock (probably the most robust Maibock available) and the contrasts would be glaringly obvious. Re-categorize this as a Strong Bitter -- or better, an American Amber Ale and I'll alter my scores.

4.24/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

L - Hazy amber with a one finger head

S - Toffee, a bit of grass and a bit boozy

T - Between a doppelbock caramel and hop presence and the lightness of a paler ale, complex but straight forward. Molasses and ester presence

F - Medium body and carbonation

O - A great beer. My first maibock I can understand why it's a reference. Very drinkable and refreshing. A tasty beer of thirst

Appearance - Dark, cloudy orange in the body with a good head that lingered but didn't lace.

Smell - Nice, mild, malt character with a stiff balancing hop (strange for the style but not for Rouge). There's a light melon/orange fruitiness to this aroma as well, making it quite nice.

Taste - Ist das eine HopBock? The lightly-toasted malt flavors complimented by sweet orange and grapefruit and honey are offset by stiff, bitter hops. I doubt if you'll find anything like this in Germany, but it is good nevertheless.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with light carbonation and very refreshing thanks to the uncharacteristic hops.

Drinkability - You have to love Rogue or hate 'em. They make one of the hoppiest Stouts on the planet, and they do the same with this Maibock. I happen to enjoy the interpretation of the style, but many I'm sure won't.

Update - I can't remember the first time I had this ale, but I first rated it on the site in November 2003. I thought it would be fun to sit down with pad and pen (or keyboard and mouse as the case may be) and write an update.

It hasn't changed a bit. Beautiful body with a nice head that doesn't lace, nice malts with an off-style PacNW hoppy bite, solid medium-bodied with very pleasant carbonation, and the bottle empties before you can say, "Gibst mir einmal, bitte."

Update - I happened upon this again in 2010 and found it to be much more malty. The malt base is unsweetened and very raw. I think really it needed this to balance the big hop bit. It's almost like unsweetened caramel if that's not an oxymoron. It's a solid 4 all the way around and a definite "must try" for any beer enthusiast.

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Been drinking this beer since 1990 when it was only available in the large bottles (22-oz. I think). Used to buy it at a grocery store in McCloud, CA when I would fish the McCloud River. Was the only place I could get it back then. Iit was always a "special beer" because I lived about 6-hours away from the closest place that had it. Really enjoy the aroma, taste, feel, and finish of this beer. Since I can now get it locally in Washington state, I have some in my fridge right now and am considering home brewing some of this myself.

Not a beer judge by a long shot but this beer hits it on all accounts. The aroma is very inviting and makes you want to taste it. The tasted is full but not heave. Good head with nice lacing as you drink it. Certainly plenty of hops in there but the blossoming of the malts keeps it from being overwhelming. Has what I would call a medium mouthfeel to it. Not as light as a lager and not as heavy as an ouatmeal stout can be. But you know you are drinking it. The finish seems to be both slightly bitter and sweet. What I would call dry without being bitter.

This is one of my favorite beers. I always thought this was expensive until I visited Australia this year. They drink a LOT of beer and a "cheap beer" is $19 for a six pack. Most good beers are $24 to $29/six-pack. So now I treat my self to Dead Guy Ale without batting an eye at the $12.99 per 6-pack price. My other favorite beer was Otter Creek's Copper Ale (a Düsseldorf Altbier) when they used to make that.

4.49/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had to buy this Oregon brew online and I felt lucky. Poured the 12oz bottle into a teku glass. Strong aromas of honey and malt. An interesting brew and worth every penny. Very good.

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

refrigerated can poured into glass

A - amber, hazy, mild active carbonation, ringing lace

S - malty, sweet, some sort of fruit, bready

T - malt, sweet, followed by a note of spice, mild bitter end

M - light, smooth, mild carbonation

O - tasty, smooth ale. I think I will have another.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle

Pours amber orange with a creamy off-white foam head. Smells like fruity apples, pear, raisins, plums, sweet melon, floral orange citrus, candied grapefruit, with malty caramel, molasses, toffee, brown sugar, honey, vanilla, toasty bread, and earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like fruity apples, pear, raisins, plum, sweet melon, rich malty caramel, molasses, toffee, brown sugar, honey, vanilla, toasty bread, candied grapefruit, floral orange citrus, with earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium-light bodied, creamy with moderate low carbonation. Overall a nice Maibock style ale.

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. About one finger of pale head, dissipating rapidly. Very even lacing.

Murky gold in color.

Malty, toasty, a touch of hops bitterness in the finish. Carbonation was just about perfect. Very drinkable.

Overall, I'm underwhelmed. It's a good, solid, sessionable brew, but not one that I'd go too far out of my way for.

4.51/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this whenever I see it on-tap since about 2002 (I'm from NY). This pour was particularly cloudy, which worked well with the weather here in the "Couve"...

Good clean glass - good start

Smells like feet - typical for a chum-swillin ale

Such a great hearty malt taste - almost salty as well as sweet

Wonderfully smooth and even-bodied goin down

Don't think I'll ever get tired of it - prefer it on tap as it is not as consistent in bottles (and almost as expensive!)

I don't know what that's about, if I can get Lagunitas all day long from 650 miles away for $10 a six, why can't I get Dead Guy from 90 miles away for any less than $12?

I'll keep letting people serve it to me I guess :)

4.18/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful dark copper color and ivory thick foam. Had a pleasant aroma and wonderful taste. An extremely smooth ale that paired well with a crusty loaf turkey, bacon and American cheese sandwich (warm and toasted). I will buy this again. Very enjoyable ale.

2.44/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

The name says it all. Imagine squeezing the fluid from the rotting corpse of a homeless crackhead whose last shower was recorded in the dead sea scrolls. Not something I would drink again.

3.88/5  rDev -1.5%

Nice rich gold color with creamy head that stayed nicely,smelled nice and malty with some fruitiness to it.Nice balanced brew not overly sweet but enjoyably sweet,hop is in there after a few sips it shows.Drink this one alot really good beer with some balls.

Appearance: 650ml bottle. golden orange with a moderatley white-foam head.

Smell: nice hoppy/fruity sweet nose. hints of sweet apricot and peach. sweet and hoppy, very pleasant.

Taste: Nice hoppiness off the top followed by a mellow and smooth sweetness. this is highlighted by apricot & peach and a good malt backbone makes this a nice ale with some good body.

Mouthfeel: Smmoth and creamy. just enough bubbliness to keep me happy.

Drinkability: one a day wouldn't be too much. a pleasant everyday drinker.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

3.38/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This would be a great beer to have with food as it is relatively mild in flavor intensity. The beer poured a nice orange/amber with little head. It had a refreshing smell of fruits like apricot and citrus but with faint smells of malt. This was a good casual beer to have, my only suggestion would be to intensify the flavor a bit as I found it to be a bit too mild.

3.58/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Old Chicago. Pours a deep amber, almost brown color with a tiny head that only left behind very small traces of lacing. The nose is full of a nice mix of hops, malts, a bit of sweetness, and a touch of woody/nutty undertones. The beer is fairly smooth and has a heavy malt character with a light toffee/caramel flavor and a bit of biscuit yeast that comes alone. Some very faint hop presence can be detected, but only if you're really looking for it. Medium body and medium carbonation with a nice, malt flavored finish.

Decent beer, here. Nothing too special or over-the-top excellent, but still tasty and very easy to drink.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%