Dead Guy Ale

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale
Notes: An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.
Reviews: 2,497 | Ratings: 7,889
Reviews by the Alström Bros:
4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

Presentation: 22 oz. bomber with no freshness date.

Appearance: Deep and lightly hazy amber honey in colour with a wispy white lace.

Smell: Sweetness coming from malt and hops, faint hint of exotic fruit ... mango or star fruit?

Taste: Smooth with a medium body, the smoothness from the carbonation hold together the malty mouth feel very well. Good dose of toasted malts, perhaps some Munich? A little sweetness comes forth also though is quickly cut by a evening hop character of both bitterness and an underlying oily flavour. The finish is pleasant and is reminiscent of crust off of some home made whole grain bread.

Notes: Delicious to say the least ... an all around prize ale brewed here, crafted very well. Great use of hops and malt to come up with a very drinkable brew ... a quaffer's delight.

3.64/5  rDev -8.1%

Undated bottle at 40 degrees into standard pint glass
Aroma malty/biscuity
Head average (3 cm), off white, frothy, slowly diminishing to irregular partial 2 mm layer
Lacing OK - one partial ring with stalactites and some small islands with tiny to small bubbles
Body medium orange, hazy
Flavor malty with bitter aftertaste; no hops, no alcohol, no diaceetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3, Aroma 3.75, Flavor 3.75, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5. Final weighted score: 3.6375
While the head is attractive, the lacing (meh) and the color/clarity of the ale leave a lot to be desired. The aroma is very tempting and the flavor does not miss expectations. The palate is pretty good. Overall, this is a reliable ale – good but not outstanding.

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

With the new Maibock tasting thread scheduled, and all of the inevitable discussion about Dead Guy and the debate over its style niche, I went on the hunt for some DG -- and almost failed to find some, but Rogue's BeerFinder helped out.

I drank this stuff a lot back in the early days of the Micro Boom®, but I've never reviewed it. With my enthusiasm for German-style beers, I could never understand why Rogue called this a Maibock. These days I see they're just calling it an Ale "inspired" by Maibocks, not sure how to rate it, but I'll follow BA's listing.

12 ounce bottle poured into my short Becher glass. No bottle dating to be found. 6.8% ABV now listed on the label.

L -- Clear, deep amber color with a dense and creamy, cream-colored head that holds up well.

S -- Caramel and earthy malt notes up front, warm-fermented fruit esters with warming, spicy, herbal hop notes and peppery alcohol back.

T -- Caramel sweetness with peppery alcohol and herbal, bitter hops. Citrus, peach fruit esters follow the bitterness, but the bitterness dominates the aftertaste.

F -- Mouthfeel is slick and syrupy with a dry, almost astringent finish and medium to light-robust body.

O -- This beer is reminiscent of a Maibock in color only. The strong hoppy bitterness, caramel malt character, and fruit esters are more akin to an American take on a Strong Bitter -- and not a terribly bad one at that, but stand this up to a Hofbräu Maibock (probably the most robust Maibock available) and the contrasts would be glaringly obvious. Re-categorize this as a Strong Bitter -- or better, an American Amber Ale and I'll alter my scores.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

L - Hazy amber with a one finger head

S - Toffee, a bit of grass and a bit boozy

T - Between a doppelbock caramel and hop presence and the lightness of a paler ale, complex but straight forward. Molasses and ester presence

F - Medium body and carbonation

O - A great beer. My first maibock I can understand why it's a reference. Very drinkable and refreshing. A tasty beer of thirst

4.49/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had to buy this Oregon brew online and I felt lucky. Poured the 12oz bottle into a teku glass. Strong aromas of honey and malt. An interesting brew and worth every penny. Very good.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

Can't believe it's taken me over 15 years to review one of my gateways. Long overdue.

Dead Guy pours a lovely burnt orange with great clarity and an impressive off white foam that coats the glass from head to toe.

A rediculous amount of caramel and bready malts rise from the surface. Some dark fruits and woody, spicy hops give this almost the impression of a Barleywine. Lighter, obviously.

Flavor follows nicely with an abundance of caramel and orange marmalade slathered on some biscuits. It cuts quickly over into nutmeg like spice, then once again with the herbal, woody, spicy hop finish.

It's a medium, bordering fuller bodied beer, though seems masked by a lively carbonation that lifts the spices giving it a bit of a tingle. Pretty well balanced with an abrupt flip flop from sweet to bittere. There's even a touch of warmth noticed as the sticky, bittered finish draws it to an end.

Still, after all these years, Rogue Dead Guy is a respectable beer. A great fall beer on a drizzly day for sure. One beer that year after year I seem to still reach for on occasion. A little confusing to why they went with an ale format when Maibocks are lagers, but that's nitpicking. Cheers.

2.44/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

The name says it all. Imagine squeezing the fluid from the rotting corpse of a homeless crackhead whose last shower was recorded in the dead sea scrolls. Not something I would drink again.

4.83/5  rDev +22%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Been drinking this beer since 1990 when it was only available in the large bottles (22-oz. I think). Used to buy it at a grocery store in McCloud, CA when I would fish the McCloud River. Was the only place I could get it back then. Iit was always a "special beer" because I lived about 6-hours away from the closest place that had it. Really enjoy the aroma, taste, feel, and finish of this beer. Since I can now get it locally in Washington state, I have some in my fridge right now and am considering home brewing some of this myself.

Not a beer judge by a long shot but this beer hits it on all accounts. The aroma is very inviting and makes you want to taste it. The tasted is full but not heave. Good head with nice lacing as you drink it. Certainly plenty of hops in there but the blossoming of the malts keeps it from being overwhelming. Has what I would call a medium mouthfeel to it. Not as light as a lager and not as heavy as an ouatmeal stout can be. But you know you are drinking it. The finish seems to be both slightly bitter and sweet. What I would call dry without being bitter.

This is one of my favorite beers. I always thought this was expensive until I visited Australia this year. They drink a LOT of beer and a "cheap beer" is $19 for a six pack. Most good beers are $24 to $29/six-pack. So now I treat my self to Dead Guy Ale without batting an eye at the $12.99 per 6-pack price. My other favorite beer was Otter Creek's Copper Ale (a Düsseldorf Altbier) when they used to make that.

4.51/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I've been drinking this whenever I see it on-tap since about 2002 (I'm from NY). This pour was particularly cloudy, which worked well with the weather here in the "Couve"...

Good clean glass - good start

Smells like feet - typical for a chum-swillin ale

Such a great hearty malt taste - almost salty as well as sweet

Wonderfully smooth and even-bodied goin down

Don't think I'll ever get tired of it - prefer it on tap as it is not as consistent in bottles (and almost as expensive!)

I don't know what that's about, if I can get Lagunitas all day long from 650 miles away for $10 a six, why can't I get Dead Guy from 90 miles away for any less than $12?

I'll keep letting people serve it to me I guess :)

3.59/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. About one finger of pale head, dissipating rapidly. Very even lacing.

Murky gold in color.

Malty, toasty, a touch of hops bitterness in the finish. Carbonation was just about perfect. Very drinkable.

Overall, I'm underwhelmed. It's a good, solid, sessionable brew, but not one that I'd go too far out of my way for.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

refrigerated can poured into glass

A - amber, hazy, mild active carbonation, ringing lace

S - malty, sweet, some sort of fruit, bready

T - malt, sweet, followed by a note of spice, mild bitter end

M - light, smooth, mild carbonation

O - tasty, smooth ale. I think I will have another.

Appearance - Dark, cloudy orange in the body with a good head that lingered but didn't lace.

Smell - Nice, mild, malt character with a stiff balancing hop (strange for the style but not for Rouge). There's a light melon/orange fruitiness to this aroma as well, making it quite nice.

Taste - Ist das eine HopBock? The lightly-toasted malt flavors complimented by sweet orange and grapefruit and honey are offset by stiff, bitter hops. I doubt if you'll find anything like this in Germany, but it is good nevertheless.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with light carbonation and very refreshing thanks to the uncharacteristic hops.

Drinkability - You have to love Rogue or hate 'em. They make one of the hoppiest Stouts on the planet, and they do the same with this Maibock. I happen to enjoy the interpretation of the style, but many I'm sure won't.

Update - I can't remember the first time I had this ale, but I first rated it on the site in November 2003. I thought it would be fun to sit down with pad and pen (or keyboard and mouse as the case may be) and write an update.

It hasn't changed a bit. Beautiful body with a nice head that doesn't lace, nice malts with an off-style PacNW hoppy bite, solid medium-bodied with very pleasant carbonation, and the bottle empties before you can say, "Gibst mir einmal, bitte."

Update - I happened upon this again in 2010 and found it to be much more malty. The malt base is unsweetened and very raw. I think really it needed this to balance the big hop bit. It's almost like unsweetened caramel if that's not an oxymoron. It's a solid 4 all the way around and a definite "must try" for any beer enthusiast.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz. bottle

Pours amber orange with a creamy off-white foam head. Smells like fruity apples, pear, raisins, plums, sweet melon, floral orange citrus, candied grapefruit, with malty caramel, molasses, toffee, brown sugar, honey, vanilla, toasty bread, and earthy herbal grassy pine. Tastes like fruity apples, pear, raisins, plum, sweet melon, rich malty caramel, molasses, toffee, brown sugar, honey, vanilla, toasty bread, candied grapefruit, floral orange citrus, with earthy herbal grassy pine. Feels medium-light bodied, creamy with moderate low carbonation. Overall a nice Maibock style ale.

4.18/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Beautiful dark copper color and ivory thick foam. Had a pleasant aroma and wonderful taste. An extremely smooth ale that paired well with a crusty loaf turkey, bacon and American cheese sandwich (warm and toasted). I will buy this again. Very enjoyable ale.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

Thank you Dead Guy for opening me up to the world of better beer.
Amber in colour with a hint of gold. Hops on the nose mixed with a slight fruityness. Hoppy flavor with a good malt backing, leaves bitter. Crisp and easy drinking. I can, and will, drink this all day long.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%

this is a good beer!

it is a hazy copper orange with a decent light tan head. i really like the appearance of this beer.

taste feels crisp. mildly sweet. slight alcohol aftertaste that i enjoy. the lingering taste makes you anticapate the next drink. maybe that is why it is so drinkable.

a good a beer. i would recommend it to anyone.

2.8/5  rDev -29.3%

I have had it with Rogue beers, they are too oddballish for me. So frequently they are blown up on BA as one of the better beers (breweries) on the west coast. No chance. My review will fall in that gray area of a bad low three score. Hey, I gave it a try.

Dead guy, uh?!?!?? More like dead beer. Pours a basic pale ale color with really no offering of any type of head. Malty taste, followed by a little hop kick. Sure this beer is relatively drinkable because it's light for this style, but why would you drink it?

Yeah, yeah, pretty harsh review, maybe I had a bad batch, but I don't think so considering my experience with this brewery.

Very disappointing.

3.15/5  rDev -20.5%

I picked up a couple of these at a specialty shop to taste and review. I poured this beer into a pilsner glass.

Pours a shiny orange/copper color, and is slightly cloudy. One finger of head is off-white, and bubbly. The head dissipates quickly to a thin film and produces some lacing on the side of the glass.

The smell is fairly strong and sweet. It has an aroma of fruity esters and to me smells a little like apricots.

The taste is sweet with a very mild bitter hop finish. It tastes like fruit, apricots, peaches, with perhaps a hint of honey.

Mouth feel is light and moderately carbonated, smooth and a very slightly syrupy.

This is a drinkable beer. It is a little sweeter than I like, but not bad. Being a May beer it might actually be better on a sunny May day. It is a very smooth and sweet tasting ale. I would certainly have it again.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass

Poured a slightly dark orange hue with a white foamy head that dissipated quickly

The nose was not strong but had a subtle appealing fruity odor

Heavy carbonation was a little too much for my taste

It had a very good balance of hop and malt with an almost cookie taste at the back of the tongue, very appealing.

The drinkability was good. I enjoyed the beer very much and didn't have a hard time knocking a few back.

Overall I found the balance to be very appealing. Although, the head was poor and the lacing was almost non-existent. With a stronger nose and lighter carbonation it would improve greatly.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

A- As close to a true copper color as any beer. Very clear, minimal head with nice lacing

S- Very pleasing, full nose...heavy on the malts, citrus and pine.

T- Full bodied. The alcohol is present at first, hand in hand with a heavy bready caramely malt with some hops thrown in. This is a deep bodied wine-like brew. I almost feel that I am drinking something different that some of the other reviews posted here. Hops? I'm not a hophead, but this one can sure use some more for balance. Almost tastes like a Marzen on steriods. Not sure what is going on with this and I want to re-review with a new bottle as I may have gotten a bad one. Something tastes a little funky.

M- Full again, with nice carbonation balance.

D- Not one I'd go back to soon. A little too overpowering in flavor, and not in a good way. I will, however, pick up another and revisit it some other time.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

A decent off white head sits atop a cloudy orange/brown body. Not heaps of lacing, but alright head retention.

Too cold I think, but im getting some biscuity/caramel quality from the malts. Also get a nice citrus/spicy note from the hops, though not overly strong. Might edit this as it warms up. Edit: yeah, the flavour and nose get a little hoppier as it warms, a bit more spicy character.

Hmm, interesting. Flavour reminds me a little of a toned down doppelbock - perhaps just because of the german malt character? I dont drink heaps of German beers so this is a pretty noob review. Some light toffee flavours as, a pretty rich malt quality. Hop presence is not huge - though the bitterness serves to tidy up the malty sweetness. A little bit of hop flavour is there, but hard to perceive. Maybe an old bottle. Cant tell though - no freakin dates anywhere.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy but the hop bitterness and crisp, yet understated carbonation serve to clean up any residual stickiness. I could drink a lot of these. A good session beer for those crazy high abv drinking yanks!

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales