Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

Reviews: 2,373 | Ratings: 7,295
4.86/5  rDev +23.4%

Fantastic ale. I have begun to sample more and more ales, but I don't think I need to go farther. This is my top rated beer of all varieties and for good reason. It is a beautiful, aromatic, delicious beverage and I will have another.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

very similar to it's bottled counterpart, the main difference being the mouthfeel, which takes on an almost Guinness-like thickness. maybe a little bit sweeter, a little bit stickier, but all of the same flavors of bread, fruits, honey and spices are present.

4.85/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle purchased the North Coast Co-op in Eureka, California. Body is dim amber with an off-white, dense head. No lacing.

Smells like sugary, buttered bisquits, with a gritty middle of hop bitterness and finishes fruity (fresh grape juice).

Taste opens with a chewy, dense bitterness along the center of my palate. The middle is tangy and spicy at once (lemon zest with a dash of red pepper flakes) and closes on a dry, bitter note played long and sharp on the back of my tongue and roof of my mouth, backgrounded by a gentle fruit-juicy sweetness.

Coats my palate and coasts off with ease -- perfect. Carbonation is very evident yet not over-powering.

Well-rounded, awesomely balanced brew.

4.83/5  rDev +22.6%

The best beer ever brewed. My go-to tasty brew when I want something that's not crazy-hoppy (which I drink as well, often).

I don't drink this out of the bottle; I always pour into a glass to enjoy the color. It does require a bit of splashing at the end to get a nice head on it.

Smooth and full-bodied, this brew is everything a beer should be. I drink it by itself, or with almost any meal or snack. Did I mention it's my favorite beer all of time? I did? Okay, just wanted to make sure that was clear.

Thank you Rogue.

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

Another great offering from Rogue. This tasty mai bock was originally created to celebrate the Mayan Day of the Dead or Dia de Muerto on November 2, All Souls Day. Pours a hazy medium orange with a white foamy head. Nice citrusy, buttery aroma with a hoppy floral boquette. Medium-bodied mouthfeel, which is thick and creamy. Smooth front with a crisp textured finish. Sweet and citrusy upfront with a biscuity malt goodness. Flavorful finish from the Saaz hops is just perfect. I picked up a single bottle to sample and now I wish I had grabbed a six-pack.

4.82/5  rDev +22.3%

Now Quaffing: Rogue - Dead Guy Ale

This is quickly becoming one of my favorite beers. To hell whether or not it 'adheres to the style', this is one of the best that Rogue has to offer. This proves they can do subtle as well as they do bold. Pours a clear dark copper with a a frothy off-white head. Aromas are all light and subdued--sweet, hoppy, grassy, inviting if nothing else. Everything else is all she wrote. There is a perfect balance of the malt and hop profile and neither is over done, although each dominate at different times. Tastes sweet--raisins-- followed by the smoothest hops and a slightly dry finish. I could (and have) drink this all night and I usually opt for variety. I can't wait to have it on tap again.

4.81/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

got this beer in a growler at the liquor store i work at part time. nice in copper tone. smells a little malty taste like your average helles beer. goes down smooth and has a great mouthful feeling and overall isn't bad, recommend this beer to a good bock enthusiast. another great brew from Rogue

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours a beautiful orange/amber with a good head of off white tightly laced foam. Smells of soft fruits. Outstanding mouthful of small bubbles. Taste is very malty and hoppy at the same time, if thats possible. One of my all time favorites.
Great with my local BBQ's pulled pork sandwich and slaw.

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

22oz. bottle (though, I've recently seen it in six packs)

This being the first beer I have reviewed for BA, I decided to try to review a beer I know quite well.

Dead Guy Ale pours a beautiful deep reddish amber with a slightly creamy, off white head. The head gives way to the sweet but not too sweet aroma. I might detect some of the sweeter fruits that some poeple mention, apricot, raisin, etc., but for all I know, its ambrosia.

Which brings us to taste: wonderfully complex, both sweet and slightly bitter with overtones of the alcohol content. A seriously smooth mouthfeel, making this a perfect summer beer that is, happily, available year round. Well balanced, Dead Guy Ale makes one wonder if the Rogue brewers can brew anything thats not exceptional. A beer thats both warming and quite drinkable.
Tell your friends, if you don't know, now you know.

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

A-Golden color,no bubbles or head.Semi visible body.

S-Honey and malt,and I cant tell what else is in here.

T-Honey,very evident of that especially the after taste.There is a malty taste to it also

M-Mouthful is real nice.The honey is real tasty in this fine brew.

D-Very good! I would like to buy a case of this.This is my 2nd time drinking this stuff.I love the honey taste in it and it goes down real smooth but watch out after a few you begin to feel the buzz.Well done Rogue!

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Appearance = Dark amber/gold, slight haze. Creamy tan head, dissipated without a trace. Low to medium carbonation.

Nose = malty sweet, fruity. Jumped out at me as I poured, a sign of excellent things to come

Taste = This is how Bock beer ought to taste. A one-two punch. Malt and plenty of it, just start to taste the sweet of it when POW the hops hit you. Plenty, but not too much hops, luscious short to medium finish. A wonderful brew. More please.

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

pours dark honey cloudy color a two finger light tan head with a fair lacing. smell is fruity, coffee, bready. lots of toasted malt up front slightly fruity slightly bready sweet taste with a nice hop finish. mouthfeel is medium but not syrupy with nice medium carbonation. really enjoyed this one great tasting beer hope to get some more soon.

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Exceptional Beer! Of course, that's what I've come to expect with all the Rogue Beers. The Orange Yellow color of this beer is lively and the taste.... Rockin'! I've had this beer in a 22oz and 12 oz bottle as well as in Draft... preferred the draft. Looking forward to trying the 3 liter! Can't go wrong with these beers... you will NOT be disappointed!

Get this on Tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Augusta!

4.8/5  rDev +21.8%

Served in a stemmed pilsner glass. Mildly hazy copper coloring with honey gold highlights when held to a light. The head is three fingers tall and ever sip leaves an almost chunky ring around the glass. Perfect head retention as it stays around as a thick blanket covering the brew till the last drop.

Smells sweet and malty with some honey and ripe citrus fruit from the hop.

The taste is full of toasted bread, sweet citrus, honey, and little bit of boozy sweetness, and dry bitter hop on the palate. Finises dry and bitter sweet.

Medium bodied, a little slick on the palate, but the drink-ability of this beer is dangerous! It does not have the alcohol volume of a session beer but it is so easy to drink! I will tell you that if you session drink the brew you will end up like the guy on the bottle. There are stronger beers but this would be the whiskey of beers in my book. Not by taste, but by effect.

4.79/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is my goto beer. Every time. Found it at a local bar that has a beer-of-the-month 2 years ago. I think they kept it on as a regular beer because I kept them sold out.

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

FANTASTIC pale ale. I don't normally like pale ales, but this one might pull me into trying some more. It's very flavorful, just the right amount of hops (not too many like some ipa's), and smooth to the last drop. I will definitely buy this one again.

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a 19oz unbranded pilsner flute glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, light caramel color with a thick, fluffy, tan head that stays for a while leaving lots and lots of lace.

Smell: A sweet, malty aroma with hints of hop spice and earthiness. The smell is appetizing and literally made me hungry.

Taste: Toasty and sweet, with a good bitterness and nuttiness toward the end. Malts at the beginning and hops at the end- great balance. Also has an interesting, unique tea sensation that gets into the sinuses; it's somewhere between a taste and a smell.

Mouthfeel: Medium, creamy body with balanced carbonation. Very smooth.

Drinkability: Rogue beers had been hyped up for me before I tried any and this was the first I tried. It lived up to the hype. This is a beer I will definitely be picking up in the future and is definitely now a favorite of mine!

Alright, my first Rogue brew:

Picked this up in a bottle and poured it in installments into my cheap-ass pilsner glass.

Copper in color with a finger or two of foamy head. The tannish colored head fades away after a couple of minutes and cuts to a decent lace.

An excellent malty ale aroma makes me anticipate a sweet taste.

If you're quick enough to sip some foam, it comes in warm and smooth with a toasty malt flavor. As for the beer itself, a beautifully understated malty sweetness coupled with a dryish fruit sensation and just enough hop bitterness to balance. The finish: nice with a satifying cotton candy flav.

Mouthfeel: I'm calling it medium-light. Feels nice, tastes good.

Smooth and easy this beer is quite well-rounded. Would make an excellent session if only I had more bucks.

In conclusion: Rogue Dead Guy - RECOMMENDED!

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

Another great beer from Rogue!

Poured out of the bottle a great dark amber color with a great dark head.

Strong in hops to the nose, and a slight yeast character.

Not a lot of lacing with head retreating quickly.

Less hoppy in the mouth, but good aftertaste.

Overall, a great beer to sit down and relax with.

4.77/5  rDev +21.1%

This stuff is great, pours an orangeish hue with a white head. It tastes like a nutty amber, but it works! no massive hops, yet a subtle transformation of a classic which yields an awesome offspring. Any fan of ales would enjoy this tastey interpretation.

4.76/5  rDev +20.8%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

A: amber with frothy perfect head.

S: malty. With some slight hops and citrus

T: deliciousness. This beer is what all other amber's aspire to be.
Perfect balance of hops and malts

M: low Carb burn. Creamy mouthfeel

One of the best beers I've ever had.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L: Red tinted amber and is fairly flat with a very thin film of white on the top. S: Rich malt aromas. T: Has a lot of bock flavors – rich bready malts – with some interesting ale fruit notes and rich spicy hops. F: Medium body and medium carbonation. O: An interesting, well made hybrid.

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Wow... the first brew I've ever had from the Rogue company, and I'm completely head-over-heels with this beer! Definitely a terrific drink in my opinon... The appearance is wonderful... pours an amber and slightly copper color with a nice head that foams for a while before dissapating... The smell is awesome....full of bready caramel notes... The taste is what truly makes this beer above and beyond... it is so rich and thick that it makes some other brews I've tried taste like water... the flavor is full of caramel, vanilla, and has a nice, sweet aftertaste that lingers on the palate... "rich" is how I'd best describe the tate... Mouthfeel is great and drinkability is near-perfect, goes down smooth and clean without the slightest bitterness present... Copped this beer singly for about $1.99 and will definitely pay the $10 plus for a six-pack... Eager to try other samples from this brewery... Definitely recommended...

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tumbler on 03.25.14.

A: Somewhat opaque, milky caramel color. 1 finger head that receded quickly. Great lacing.

S: Strong, sweet caramel.

T: Caramel dominates. Has lingering red apple. Some flower on the back end.

M: Creamy smooth. It floats on the tongue and fades away slowly. Beautiful.

O: The creaminess is apparent first, then a wash of caramel takes over. The sweetness fades and then a slight bitterness comes on until fading into a red apple and flower back end that lingers. This is a very well balanced and fantastically smooth beer. Unfortunately, I won't ever buy anything from Rogue again after what I've heard about them, but that shouldn't affect my rating of this beer.

Rating: A

4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

I'll tell you, this is climbing to be my favorite beer very quickly. There is just almost nothing wrong with it.

Appearance is a medium copper with a light tan head that bubbles down to a scattered surface of foam; but lasts a decent time. Very pleasing to the eyes.

Smell represents the overall malt flavor of the beer.

There is just something about the taste of this beer that makes me happy. It might be too caramely for some but this beer just rides the line of too sweet with me but maintains such craving for me.

Mouthfeel leaves very little to be improved upon. Perfect carbonation, perfect consistency.. easy to drink.

Drinkability has varied for me. Some nights, I can drink it all night. Other nights, leave me forcing down that 3rd glass, haha.

If you've never had this... GET IT