Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Dead Guy AleDead Guy Ale

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

Reviews: 2,380 | Ratings: 7,338
2.56/5  rDev -35%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tall pilsner glass. Amber color. Plenty of head and good carbonation. Looks tasty. Has a faint smell to it, can't really identify any distinct aromas.

Not too much taste. I'm just not getting that much flavor here, besides a faint taste of alcohol. Don't know what else to say.

This goes down fairly easily, and doesn't make me cringe or anything, but it doesn't really make me want another.

2.57/5  rDev -34.8%

Got this one in a trade with Ludachris, I've heard this beer got a lot of people on board to the craft scene, so I'm eager to see.

Appearance: Well points of clairity, that is for sure as the body boasts a luxuriously clear light bronze that seems decently carbonated. However the head leaves quite a bit to be desired as barely a pinky made a presence and it did not lace nor sustain.

Smell: A nice blend of honey and malt with a slight touch of spruce like hops. Light notes of caramel as well grace it, which would score much higher if it wasn't so faint and required quite a bit of warming.

Taste: Well it does start very nicely with a good blend of sweet honey and malts with the barest floral taste. As the beer continues though light citrus hops assert themselves and combine at the very end with floral and spruce like elements that cause the beer to end with an unbalanced kick of bitterness. I'd give it a 2.75 if I could to be honest, but I gotta go with the lower end of things here.

Mouthfeel: I really dislike it when a beer is lacking in head, however this isn't the only problem here. The unbalanced kick of hop bitterness really doesn't do me any favours. The light hop aftertaste is a mixed bag that leaves the front of my tongue happy, but the back of it revolted. Carbonation is good, but I wish it didn't accent the end so much.

Drinkability: I find this slightly bellow average. The hopping and mouthfeel certainly don't do it any favors and my stomach isn't completely agreeing with it. However, it does go down better then I though it would and it's not completely absent in the refreshment department.

Final Thoughts: Given the only Maibock I've had before was Holsten, I'm quite disappointed by this beer. I was expecting a lot more diversity out of this and frankly, if the hop presence wasn't so varied this beer would be abysmal. I'm guessing this beer is rated so high is because it probably made a lot of people realize that they are hop heads. That doesn't do it for me though, for me a beer needs balance which this beer is in need of.

2.58/5  rDev -34.5%

Amber gold ale, slightly cloudy, generally nice to look at. Aroma of hops, slightly perfumy, even a little flowery.

Taste lacks balance – there’s a bitter, hoppy bite, but not much more. Leaves an unpleasant after taste.

Mouthfeel is full, and momentarily takes your mind off of the bitterness, but not for long.

Doesn’t rank high on the drinkability scale.

2.61/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I guess I have a different opinion about this beer than most people. Part of my dislike may simply be the style, I will have to try more maibocks to be sure. But this one hits you over the head with bready malts and then hits you over the head again with intense honey flavor that somehow manages not to blend very well with the bitter hoppy finish. The flavors were disjointed, separate and it just didn't seem to me like a very well crafted beer.

2.61/5  rDev -33.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle pourted into Long Trail VT pint glass. No bottle date present. Does Rogue ever do this? They should...

A: Clear amber color. Filtered nicely. One finger head, if that. Collapses quickly. Poor carbonation. Good lacing. Age might be a factor to all these.

S: Mild hops, malts and bready yeast flavor. Something smelled off?

T: Yeasty, malts, and no hop backbone. This must be a bad beer here. I wish there was a bottle date.

M: Nothing really. Really watery....really.

D: I couldn't even finish this one. Really wouldn't drink another one...but I might be chalking this up to a skunked OLD beer.

Overall, I was pretty upset with this purchase. I was expecting more.

2.62/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A: [2.50] Pours a rust brown color and forms a large 2 finger head. The beer is a little hazy looking in the glass. The bottle does not list the ABV or any kind of date. BOO! Terrible.

S: [3.25] I get caramel, spices and breadiness.

T: [2.75] The taste is some kind of spices. They are long and lingering. I keep sipping it wanting more but I only get a little more sweetness.

M: [1.50] The mouthfeel is bad. It has no feeling of carbonation. It feels like water. Normally I rate mouthfeel after taste - but the mouthfeel was so unpleasant I went there first.

O: [2.50] This is very disappointing. The bottle includes no useful information. So this might be a really old bottle - but that is Rogue's fault not mine. Suffer with a bad rating. The mouthfeel was WAY off. It is just like water. No carbonation feeling at all (even with the 2 finger head). Then the taste was poor too. I won't drink this again.

2.62/5  rDev -33.5%

Cloudy reddish brown pour. Typically smell similar to the few other heller bocks i've had. Sweet, tart taste and smell of dried fruit and honey with a touch of bitterness too. Best one I've had of the style, but it's still not one of my favorites. I will say this grew on me a little bit, but I don't see buying it again still.

2.68/5  rDev -32%

Blah. Rogue missed the mark with this one. Too sweet, too malty, and way, way unbalanced. I feel like they just forgot to add any kind of tasty hops. Normally I love Rogue brews, but this is one is just nt my cup of tea. The sweetness really overpowers the other flavors, and winds up destrying what could've been a wonderful brew. Oh well...

2.68/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours looking like an amber ale, but its actually a maibock with 2/3" off white head. Aroma was a musty grain and plant life kind of setting.

Such a malt bomb. A little bit of alcohol sting, I don't get what the love for this beer is all about. Not a fan. Not a lot of flavor, unless you're into the earthy dirt laden tobacco road lager yeast feels. There's plenty of bitterness but it isn't derived from the hops or anything that aren't really here. Unsweetened toffee.

I will cynically proclaim this beer has some good artwork and marketing. This is their flagship right? Yeesh.

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

Not one of my favorites, but haven't had it in a while so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Look-Clear light amber color, light carbonation,poured 2 finger head and had no head retention.

smell- not intense but malty

Taste- some citrus hop notes in the tastes, , finishes bitter and dry, taste is very different than the aroma, lingering mix of bananas

feel- light

overall- Not a fan letter grad D

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%

Heard so much about Rogue beers, yet not once have I tasted one and been bowled over by it.

Looks- Has beautiful color, like a hiney hued amber.

Smell- A bit of orange, bready, white pepper, promising.

Taste- Orange, orange peel, yeasty, slightly malty, a bit boozy, despite all the tastes not very good.

Feel- medium, wants to be bigger but isn't.

I wanted to like this but, despite the looks and smells another meh beer from yet another overhyped "craft" brewery.

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Cardboard and honey. That's all I get from this beer. I didn't like it last time I tried it, but I thought perhaps my tastes had matured to the point where I'd enjoy it. I was, unfortunately, wrong.

It looks and smells like a beer I should enjoy, and I typically like sweetness in my beers, but this is almost cloying and definitely has some "off" notes. Mouthfeel is nice, though, with a bit of creaminess. Overall, the more I drink it, the more palatable it gets, but I can't recommend this brew.

(Maybe this is how a maibock is supposed to taste; your mileage may vary.)

2.7/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not exactly my cup of tea. About the color of an amber. The smell is SUPER sweet. The taste is also pretty sweet without enough hops bitterness to adequately balance it.

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A- nice amber color with thick white head that fades to lacing that sticks with the glass. a little bit cloudy with black particles in it.

S- good smell of sweet malt and yeast.

T- not much to the initial taste maybe some malt and yeast. aftertaste is of bitter hops and alcohol.

M- Medium body and carbonation. Was not a smooth beer. somewhat dry.

D- It took me over an hour to finish the glass.

2.79/5  rDev -29.2%

Just not my kind of beer. I'm not a fan of Pale Ale's so bare with me here. The taste just was bland for me. Too bitter and spicy. I thought the color was good looking and the smell was awesome. But the taste really made me sad. I wanted to really like this beer(it was really expensive). I have heard good things about Rogue, but maybe I should stick to their stouts and porters.

2.8/5  rDev -28.9%

I have had it with Rogue beers, they are too oddballish for me. So frequently they are blown up on BA as one of the better beers (breweries) on the west coast. No chance. My review will fall in that gray area of a bad low three score. Hey, I gave it a try.

Dead guy, uh?!?!?? More like dead beer. Pours a basic pale ale color with really no offering of any type of head. Malty taste, followed by a little hop kick. Sure this beer is relatively drinkable because it's light for this style, but why would you drink it?

Yeah, yeah, pretty harsh review, maybe I had a bad batch, but I don't think so considering my experience with this brewery.

Very disappointing.

2.85/5  rDev -27.7%

Pours a dark bronze color with a small off-white head that left nice lacing through out the whole glass. Smell is of caramel, and very sweet. Mouthfeel is thick. Overall, this is unlike any other maibock/helles bock I've ever had. A beer that is classified as a helles "clear" bock shoudl at least be clear, not dark and cloudy like this beer. The mouthfeel was also too thick for it to be a good maibock. However, even if this brew wasn't intended to be a maibock by the brewer, I still didn't like it.

2.9/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

First off, most people thought that this "strong" beer tasted a lot less like a typical maibock than it did like a typical ale. It lacks the springy flavor of most maibocks, and comes across with a heavy, "good flavor." That said, most people enjoyed it, though less than one might expect. Some thought it was "bitter" and just a touch overpowering, especially given its not-particularly-high ABV.

2.91/5  rDev -26.1%

This beer pours a reddish brown color with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is really sweet and a little creamy. It reminds me of a raspberry cream saver candy. The flavir is not right. There is sweet caramel in there, but a really offensive bitter flavor that I don't like. The feel is moderately thick nd a bit creamy. The drinkability suffers from the taste. I really didn't like it all that much.

2.92/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a dark orange with 2 inch head, slowly dissipates. Smells like straight malt. Taste is average, thick and malty - slightly refreshing. just not my style. Maybe good on a hot summer day?

2.93/5  rDev -25.6%

12oz into Ayinger Celebrator glasses.

Appearance- cloudy, dim orange color. Head is light tan. Looks good, well lit, but not so good in a dim room.

Smell- Malt is very prominent, while spice and bubble gum aromas from the ale yeast are also noticeable. Over all the smells are fairly light, and not especially noteworthy for good or for ill. As the beer warms a bit, during drinking, the smell actually goes from bland to acidic and weird smelling.

Taste- malt eases into the palate, and fades into orange and cookie flavors; yeast contributions are very noticeable in the range of faint flavors, while the malt is especially cracker-or-cookie-ish. Swallow is clean into malt sweetness, which lingers gently on the palate. The yeast's contribution is very clear; this could not be confused for a lager-yeast bock beer. also, the hops are very noticeable, and startlingly so compared to "true" bock beers. At the same time, the malt flavors are very well rounded and very well developed.

As the beer warms over the course of a glass, the flavor profile changes significantly, to include both a shocking amount of hops, for the presumptive style, and the once citric orange changes into a bitter orange peel flavor. While none of these flavors are *bad,* they are very strange to find in something claiming to be a bock. Flavor started out at a 4, when the beer was at the cool end of the recommended temp, but as it moved to the warm end of the rec. temp, the score dropped to a 3.

Mouthfeel- the carbonation is on the heavier side, for the style, while the beer itself is on the lighter side for the style. The malt is a dead ringer for a bock, but the mouth feel is more like a wheat beer, like and bubbly. This is a bit odd, but not unpleasant.

Drinkability- it is drinkable, but I'm very glad I didn't buy a six pack, because I wouldn't especially like to have to drink more of them.

To me, this beer is an in-betweener. For an American Pale Ale, it is too heavy on the malt, and no where near crisp enough. But for a bock beer, even a light bock beer, the yeast profile is far to prominent for the style, the mouthfeel is distractingly light, and the hops are surprisingly intrusive. I understand that this was deliberate, but personally, I would prefer a good ale or a good bock to this beer, which tries to be both, but fails to be either.

2.95/5  rDev -25.1%

12oz bottle into a pint glass, from 3 hours in the fridge.

Redish amber in color. Zero head, low carbonation.

Smells overwhelmingly like fruit, sweet, figs.

Goes down smooth and tastes just like it smells. Sparkly, but little aftertaste. Leaves a tingle on the tongue. Mellow apple flavor.

Good drinkability, still have that curious tingle on my tongue, but probably wouldn't purchase again.

2.97/5  rDev -24.6%

This is a store-bought growler.

Light amber color, thin ring of head around the edges that leaves some lacing. Very hazy body, not at all to style; makes it look like a very heavy beer.

Very sweet and biscuity aroma with a slight harshness, maybe from some tannin action?

Sweet initially, then trademark Rogue big hop finish verging on slightly metallic or oxidized.

Very flat, even bottled from the brewery and sold in stores this growler didn't keep enough CO2, and that's what I was checking out.

Except for the very poor mouthfeel, a great beer, one that I would recommend from the bottle.

2.97/5  rDev -24.6%

Visual: Large creamy head to start. Medium amber hue, and strong carbonation. Slightly hazy.

Aroma: Rather malt dominated aroma. Slight whiff of metal. A bit of orange-peel and some alcohol.

Flavor: Malty to start, then gives way to fairly strong hop bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste, but which eventually gives way to some residual sweetness that, over time, becomes cloying.

Mouthfeel: Creaminess at start from carbonation. Good body, almost chewy.

Overall: Although I want to, I have a hard time really liking this beer. Each characteristic tends to stand alone – the experience is not very well integrated.

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber with no date into large mug, lets go...

(a) Pours a dark honey color with very little carbonation...guess thats why they call it dead. Next to no head. (3.5/5)

(s) Not much here, smells pretty bland, like something that has aged but with no hops to bring anything out. Different. (3/5)

(t) For something complex it tastes very balance and light. Some pine and citrus hop notes, but overall pretty light. That or either very well balanced. (3/5)

(m) Pretty dissapointing. Very little up front and even less on the follow through. Oddly light for as complex as it seems. (2.5/5)

(d) Decent, but not something I would go back to in a session. Great beer to build on, but for the price lets leave it at that. (3/5)

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales