Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

4.3

Ratings: 7,644 |  Reviews: 2,447
4.12/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a slightly murky dark copper color with a yellowed off-white head that starts off at a couple fingers, but quickly fades to a lasting 1/4 inch layer of foam. Very little lacing on the glass. Smell is of sweet malts with a little bit of citrusy hop aroma. Taste includes sweet, bready malt, a little fruityness, and nice citrus rind-piney hop flavors. Very well balanced. Lingering hop bitterness, but it's not at all harsh, Very smooth and drinkable. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel with medium body. Carbonation is apparent, but not over-done. Upon finishing the first one, I immediately wanted another! Not exactly to style... but who cares! Highly recommended and sure to become one of my regulars.

4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

poured a very hazy apple cider color with a thin head that disappeared quickly (maybe a problem with my glass, or maybe that's how it's supposed to be?)

aroma is mostly malt but not very impressive overall.

taste is on the malty side with a very nice hope balance, an awesomely balanced beer.

Mouthfeel is where this one shines, smooth as can be and perfectly carbonated, a light yet creamy quality.

drinkability is very high, this goes down so smooth. I really enjoyed this beer, it is something different than the typical hop bomb ales that are very popular these days, so far i have been very impressed with Rogue.

3.52/5  rDev -10.7%

Kinda brick/brown colored as it sits in my glass. Not much of a head with non-existent lacing down the side. Smell? Well, hard to describe but I can detect some kind of fruit, maybe raspberry? Taste of fruit on the tongue as well and hoppier than expected for the style. Come to think of it, maybe a little darker colored for the style. I would rate this a slightly better than average brew to drink, have had it with smoked brisket and thought it went well.

4.22/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Fairly average in appearance. A nice medium hazy amber (darker honey color) with a little white head that leaves bits of lacing... I am talking about beer here.

S - Sweet but faintly so. Little hop and little malt with something else. A bit fruity I guess.

T - The fruity sweetness hits firsts rounded off by the malts, but is balanced out by the hops. Very well down.

M - Smooth with a dry finish.

D - Goes down nicely. Could easily finish off a few.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.16/5  rDev +5.6%

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

2.84/5  rDev -27.9%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

Very drinkable brew that has nice flavors such as caramel and hops.
This brew is great for the fall time football games.

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%

Holy dead person...This is pretty alright.

Appearance: Looks like a cloudy IPA.

Smell: Malty Sweetness smell and a hoppy floweriness.

Taste: Bitter from the hops but a malty, Oktoberfest-like backbone.

Mouthfeel: yes.(?)

Drinkability: Alcohol is kind of high for what it is, but overall, I could drink a couple pints of this if I could ever find it on tap in the great white north. Damned polar bears....Stealing all the Rogue.

4.25/5  rDev +7.9%

4.2/5  rDev +6.6%

Recommended to me by a buddy of my dad. Amber and cloudy, but still well presented. While the smell is faint, it's a nice whiff of malt and hops.

Let me just say that this beer was tasty. While it hits you with a bitter feeling initially, it finishes very nicely. I haven't had too much Bock in my time, but I think I could become a fan.

This is a highly refreshing, highly drinkable beer. I hope I can try it on tap in the future.

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

Color is a glowing orange/amber, looks awesome. Head is solid and thick, sticky looking and smallish. Lacing was great. On the nose was fruit, lots of ripe fruit. A nice combo of melons, citrus and yeast.

First taste and I new I was in for a treat. Full and rich, fruity flavor abound (peach?) caramel malts, a touch of roasted malt and toasted bread. A stiff malt backbone is backed up with a sold punch of hop flavor, aroma and bitterness. I felt the usage of hops in Dead Guy was brilliant. Mouthfeel was another winning characteristic. Super creamy but somehow light and quick at the same time. Finished smooth, a bit toffee sweet with that tingling bitterness that I love (Fuller's ESB has it). A touch of alcohol and tobacco at the very end. To me, drinking this I'm thinking ESB all the way, but who cares how it's classified, it rocks.

My first Rogue. "All Killer, no Filler"

4.48/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales