Dead Guy Ale | Rogue Ales

Rogue Ales
Oregon, United States
rogue.com

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

An ale inspired by the style of a German Maibock, brewed using our proprietary Pacman yeast, Dead Guy Ale is deep honey in color with a malty aroma, rich hearty flavor and a well balanced finish.

9 Ingredients: 2-Row, C15, Munich, Rogue Farms Dare™, Risk™ Malts; Rogue Farms Revolution™ & Independent™ Hops; Free Range Coastal Water & Pacman Yeast.

Added by kbub6f on 09-05-2001

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.87/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Revisit for me.
Though many a times, I've had this, well, here's my update.
Poured into a pint glass, the appearance was a ruddy burnt orange color. Slim finger-ed white head appears and quickly burns off right on into the beer. Uh...where's the lacing? Hmmm...alright, whatever (somehow, this happened all of the time.
The smell has that ruddy caramel maltiness blending into sweet biscuits and a slight earthy hoppiness lends it's hand to balance.
The taste was moderately sweet allowing the earthy hops to make an effort to blend. Decent biscuity aftertaste.
The mouthfeel accompanies the biscuits to have about a medium body. Slightly crisp sweetness bends over my tongue.
Overall, glad I decided to revisit this once I understood what a maibock is. In my opinion, Rogue did this one well.

2.5/5  rDev -36.5%

2.75/5  rDev -30.2%

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

The biggest thing I was surprised by is the lack of flavor. This is a very light tasting beer with a nice carbonation to it...but it drinks like water. Don't get me wrong - it is not a dissatisfying beer - it is just slightly perplexing. My tastes may be biased, however, as I am a fan of IPA's and dark, heavy beers, and this is dead center between the two. Overall I wouldn't NOT recommend it but wouldn't push strongly TO recommend it. Perhaps the word 'bland' fits as a description. But I would buy it again - sometimes bland is all you need.

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.49/5  rDev -11.4%

A very standard-tasting beer. Tastes EXACTLY how malt extract smells. With some good and carbonation thrown in. Probably one of the best non-fruit, non-ipa ales I've ever had. Just not a fan of ales with no distinct flavor except malt. 40 IBUs on this bad boy, but no big hop flavor. A slight floral and smooth hop flavor.Reminds me of a Magic Hat #9. A little sweet, very malty, and a hint of bitterness. The phrase a "not quite pale ale" describes this beer.

Confused on one thing. This is a maibock, but is marketed as an ale?

Dead Guy Ale from Rogue Ales